• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
To be honest, that would be kind of underwhelming. Neat for those who haven't tried Knuckles in Sonic 2 I suppose.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Oh cool, I guess I'll take that. We'll never get Sonic 3&K anyway, might as well include Knuckles in something.

Fingers are still crossed they manage to squeeze in some cut material though.
Like the original Hidden Palace Zone that ends at the emerald, from the prototypes and accessible by cheat code in the Taxman version. That wouldn't be too hard.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Yay! Can't wait!

Is there some reason why Sonic 3 and Knuckles isn't expected at all? Is it the Micheal Jackson music?

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
It's neat that it's happening. Shame that it's not on the level of the mobile port with HPZ but life goes on. I'll probably pick this up since it has been a long time since I've played Sonic 2 and I just want an excuse.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Shame that including cut content seems to have not worked out. I guess one could assume they're being quiet on that front, but after a long time of no news, that's pretty unlikely. Still, I'd rather have Sonic 2 on Switch than not at all, and playable Knuckles is nice, especially if Sonic 3 and Knuckles is going to be buried by SEGA in the foreseeable future.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
We don't know what else will or won't be included, the story is based off an extremely terse Famitsu recap.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, an M2 port will always be appreciated, but why does Sega continue to deny us the Christian Whitehead ports of Sonic 1 & 2 on console/handheld?

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I own s2 & s&k on md, jam on Saturn and s2 on android so there doesn't seem to be anything here worthwhile for me atm.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be there day 1 for this, because Sonic 2 is like my second favourite game of all time, and M2 are fantastic, but the joycons being awful for Sonic 1 is a deal-breaker for me, considering I'll only be getting it for handheld play.

If they've fixed it on this one, I'll get it, but otherwise I'll have to leave it, unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
I adore Sonic 2, but I will never understand why Sega cannot port the mobile versions to console. This isn't like the 3DS version, where you can say, "Oh, but it's 3d."

I'll buy the same game over and over again, Sega, but only if you give me a reason to.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I bet we also get HPZ and drop dash. I kinda hope they add flying Tails too.

That's presumably the reason, yes. Sega stopped re-releasing the game around the time MJ died (roughly). Seems like they prefer to pretend it doesn't exist now.
They do have an alternate soundtrack though and even readymade MD mixed versions found on protos. I'm hopeful a potential Wave 2 of Sega Ages will also include a S3K with that if need be.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I just don't understand why they don't port the Taxman remakes, they're essentially perfect and actually BETTER than the original releases... I'd honestly pay $20~ for Taxman's Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and CD on a Switch cart.

Jun 2, 2019
Kinda sad to see so many people asking for Taxman's versions incessantly. M2 versions are great on their own right, aiming for accuracy with a few QoL extras.

Personally, I like them more than Taxman's and can't wait to double dip on the game (I have it on 3ds too)

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Still absolutely wild to be how Sega has so many different "old game services" available at the same time with some significantly different levels of quality. You have Sega Ages, the Genesis Classics Collection, Sega Forever, and the Genesis Mini all using different version of the same games. It seems needlessly wasteful to do.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Kinda sad to see so many people asking for Taxman's versions incessantly. M2 versions are great on their own right, aiming for accuracy with a few QoL extras.

Personally, I like them more than Taxman's and can't wait to double dip on the game (I have it on 3ds too)
I don't think anyone is discounting M2. They do amazing work with porting and remastering old games. It just seems like all the work they've done with Sonic 1 & 2 are unnecessary when we already have definitive versions of these games on iOS/Android.

It's like asking to redo someone's project and is egregiously wasteful with how much time and money are being spent remastering these games more than once.

Jun 2, 2019
I don't think anyone is discounting M2.(...) It just seems like all the work they've done with Sonic 1 & 2 are unnecessary when we already have definitive versions of these games on iOS/Android.

These statements contradict themselves

This is like saying that because the PS2 version of Virtua Racing exists, there's no need for the Sega Ages version of Virtua Racing to exist, or OutRun when the 3DS version exists.

It honestly feels disrespectful to M2's work

Last edited:

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why they don't port the Taxman remakes, they're essentially perfect and actually BETTER than the original releases... I'd honestly pay $20~ for Taxman's Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and CD on a Switch cart.
That would be worth a lot more than 20 dollars.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Knuckles in Sonic 2 being an awful experience due to the final boss. Knuckles jumps slightly lower than Sonic so you always get hit by the spikey hands of the boss. With Sonic you can do it with the right timing but with Knuckles it's much harder. Knuckles didn't add much to Sonic 2 in general. Disappointing.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018

This is like saying that because the PS2 version of Virtua Racing exists, there's no need for the Sega Ages version of Virtua Racing to exist, or OutRun when the 3DS version exists.
I'd argue they're not the definitive versions yet because they aren't off mobile. No offense to mobile gaming, I love lots of mobile games, but taxman's Sonic 1 & 2 should get a chance to exist outside of iOS and Android.

To add my personal experience to that, Sega Forever became a thing that has been retrofitted into the mobile release which turned my PAID copies of the game into the 'Free with Ads' Sega Forever version. That would be fine normally because there is a voucher system in place in-app that links to the Google Play store to unlock my paid copy... except it doesn't work for me. So thanks to this I'm forced to play it with ads or make a new google account and re-buy the games again. I dunno if this is just some glitch on my end but I'm shit out of luck with the only existing version of the game accessible to me.

Bums me out every time I see an opportunity to make them more accessible go to waste.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Knuckles in Sonic 2 being an awful experience due to the final boss. Knuckles jumps slightly lower than Sonic so you always get hit by the spikey hands of the boss. With Sonic you can do it with the right timing but with Knuckles it's much harder. Knuckles didn't add much to Sonic 2 in general. Disappointing.
Just restrict your jumps to when he lands and lowers his body. Takes longer but much safer, Sonic or Knuckles.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
This is actually neat and I hope upcoming Sega Ages releases include such drastic changes (Still need Phantasy Star 2).
I really want Sega Ages versions of Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4. I've got the Sega Ages version of the Master System original in my backlog.

It's a shame that these seem to come out so slowly - I get it's not a case of waving the magic wand and suddenly excellent versions of old games are done, but weren't Sega and M2 suggesting they might move onto Saturn and Dreamcast titles at some point? If it's taken this long to get to Sonic 2, then we're a while away from that happening.

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely ludicrous how many various versions of Sonic 1 and 2 there are. The Whitehead releases are superior, but they continue to get different developers to start from scratch. I don't get it. Port the mobile versions, you goons.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely ludicrous how many various versions of Sonic 1 and 2 there are. The Whitehead releases are superior, but they continue to get different developers to start from scratch. I don't get it. Port the mobile versions, you goons.

Maybe someone in the community will try to convert them based on Steam roms of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2? I know a "Taxman" take of 3&K exists on PC as Sonic 3 A.I.R. that tries to follow that template.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay but can we get some *new* retro stuff out of SEGA or M2, maybe? Sonic 3 or... dare I say... something from the Saturn or Dreamcast? Or is SEGA just gonna keep sticking the same classic games down retro enthusiasts throat?

Bruh. I already bought the Genesis Mini. I'm even considering getting a 6 button controller. I own Sonic 2 on the PC, 360, iPod Touch, 3DS, and the Wii. Give me Sonic 3, some NiGHTS, or some dang Spinball or Fighters for crying out loud. I'd wager that the grand majority of gamers out there today who have any interest in Sonic 2 own it already on at least one other system.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
GIVE ME 3 YOU COWARDS.

I don't understand why they don't hire Tee Lopes to remix the problematic tracks. Unless it's a deeper issue than I understand, they can't be so cheap as to avoid any possible solution to 3's rerelease.

God I'm so sick of 2.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Just restrict your jumps to when he lands and lowers his body. Takes longer but much safer, Sonic or Knuckles.
You are certainly right about that. These impressions are me as a kid, haha. Haven't played Knuckles in Sonic 2 since probably 1994. I never really thought he was a worthwhile addition in the other parts of the game either.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH

It honestly feels disrespectful to M2's work
Wouldn't what you just said in turn be disrespectful to Taxman and Stealth's work on the iOS/Android versions of Sonic 1 & 2?

I also feel like comparing PS2 to Switch to 3DS versions of games is way, way different than porting current-gen games since they all run on similar hardware nowadays.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If they're so intent on giving more Sonic games the AGES treatment, they should at least release the Master System Sonics as well. I have about 8 versions of Sonic 2 now.

Jun 2, 2019
Wouldn't what you just said in turn be disrespectful to Taxman and Stealth's work on the iOS/Android versions of Sonic 1 & 2?

No? I'm not saying their work is unnecessary because the M2 version exists, I'm saying that I particularly prefer the M2 version and that saying that their version is unnecessary because Taxman's exists is disrespectful to their work

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Taxman's pretty obviously are a great value with a large emphasis on improving the experience and adding fun. Better perf, better screen size, gameplay additions, new features, bonus extras. It's a more complete package.

That's a weird thing to say is "kinda sad to see".

Damn people for wanting a superior experience! Damn them all!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I would like to hear why you prefer M2's versions, which usually only have a few modest enhancements, over the Taxman versions, which are widely beloved?
I've seen people not like that the Taxman versions have widescreen. I see widescreen as a net positive for the games personally but hey, opinions.