• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, I've never actually played Sonic 2 front-to-back.

At this point though I've still got my original Genesis copy, the PSP version of Genesis Collection, the PC version of Genesis Collection, the ROM from the PC collection set up with a BlastEm shortcut on my desktop, and that same ROM on my hacked Wii. Which version is best you guys?

And theoretically I guess I could get Taxman Sonic 2 since I could probably hook up my bluetooth M30 to my iPhone now.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I do consider the mobile ports superior, haven't played the M2 collections but I've read enough about them to figure they weren't as comprehensive as taxman and stealth's versions but after reading this thread I wasn't sure, are the M2 versions that good?

I went to read up on sonic retro and maybe they haven't had the chance to document the M2 versions as much but the difference still seems in the mobile ports favor. See for yourself :

For me, having the Sonic & Tails duo in Sonic 1 especially is so valuable. I would never play through marble, labyrinth or spring yard zone again without Tails. And finding those added knuckles routes was such a treat. I didn't even know about the ability to have every character get a super form and change the shield behavior from S1 to S2 and S3 WITH elemental shield and insta-shield! Drop dash is cool but it doesn't compare to all that.

Nov 1, 2017
Y'know, I've never actually played Sonic 2 front-to-back.

At this point though I've still got my original Genesis copy, the PSP version of Genesis Collection, the PC version of Genesis Collection, the ROM from the PC collection set up with a BlastEm shortcut on my desktop, and that same ROM on my hacked Wii. Which version is best you guys?

And theoretically I guess I could get Taxman Sonic 2 since I could probably hook up my bluetooth M30 to my iPhone now.
If I'm not mistaken, none of those versions have any exclusive extra features (excluding the Taxman mobile version). So with that in mind, accuracy and convenience is what it comes down to. I believe the BlastEm emulator is the most accurate of the bunch?

If I had to take a wild guess, the biggest differentiating factor between all of those would probably be how the sound is emulated and input latency. Either way, you should be golden. I can't say with 100% certainty however.

Edit: I gotta say though, I would love to try the mobile version hooked up to a TV + controller. It's probably the only mobile game I still consider picking up from time to time.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, this should be out today, ye? How's the input lag in this version compared to the one from Genesis Classics collection (Switch)?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
.....so did anyone get this, or..... :P Im thinking of just taking a dive and seeing for myself if the input lag is improved which I assume it was, but since I cant get any solid info on this Im going in blind.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, this should be out today, ye? How's the input lag in this version compared to the one from Genesis Classics collection (Switch)?
Sega Ages titles are handled by M2. They've all played incredibly well, so I'd expect the same from this. The Sega Ages version of Sonic 1 plays flawlessly. A night and day difference from Sonic 1 on the Classics Collection.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
.....so did anyone get this, or..... :P Im thinking of just taking a dive and seeing for myself if the input lag is improved which I assume it was, but since I cant get any solid info on this Im going in blind.

From playing my version I'm not noticing any lag, any significant lag anyway. Likely couldn't have finished those special stages if there were. 😅

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales

As far as i can tell, no input lag. I made it as far as Hilltop Zone before saving (my stop came on the train). Comparing it to the Genesis collection on Switch, there's certainly no lag between pressing jump and Sonic jumping.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I got it and indeed it is playable now. Drop Dash is becoming a bad habit tho had to turn it off lol

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
So what does this version have in the end? Drop dash for Sonic and the ability to play as Knuckles?
Any other extras? No hidden palace zone?

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea this had HD rumble support! That plus the inclusion of Knuckles made this a no-brainer purchase for me.

Does the Ages version of Sonic 1 have HD rumble as well? I skipped that one because I already had the 3DS version, but I would consider buying it if it has that feature.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea this had HD rumble support! That plus the inclusion of Knuckles made this a no-brainer purchase for me.

Does the Ages version of Sonic 1 have HD rumble as well? I skipped that one because I already had the 3DS version, but I would consider buying it if it has that feature.
Just checked and didn't see a rumble option for Sonic 1 in the options sadly. Sorry. :(