• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
segaagesyhfvc.png

NA website: https://segaages.sega.com/
JP website: http://archives.sega.jp/segaages/

Sega Ages is the successor to the Sega 3D Classics series on 3DS. Both feature classic Sega games brought to a new audience from a wide-range of Sega hardware, from consoles, to even arcade boards!

M2 is the mastermind behind the Sega 3D Classics series and is now back again (and about time too) working their magic with the Sega Ages series. M2 aims to have a release schedule for at least one game a month, and that seems to be the case so far. And the games (sometimes...) seem to be released worldwide on the same day.

The games are seemingly filled with features as standards such as save states, multiple display modes including 1:1, 4:3, full-screen stretch, AND even the CRT-influenced vintage mode! (Note this is based on Sonic 1 footage, but is near certain to be in all games).

We also have confirmation that M2 has the Sega NAOMI arcade board up and running on Switch! :D

Each game so far costs 925 yen in Japan, $8 in the US, and $9 in Canada.

I'll add descriptions in a bit, I wanted to finally get this out now that we have a western date for Phantasy Star.

Games:

sonic5sik7.png

Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)
Release Date: September 20th, 2018 (Worldwide)
Shop pages: NA/PAL/JP

tf4djcg5.png

Thunder Force IV (Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar in NA) (Sega Genesis)
Release Date: September 20th, 2018 (Worldwide)

psy5e35.png

Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)
Release Date: October 31st, 2018 (JP), December 13th, 2018 (NA and EU)

outrungwf2r.png

Out Run (Sega OutRun arcade board)
Release Date: November 29th, 2018 (JP), January 10th. 2019 (NA and EU)

ggemdjm.png

Gain Ground (Sega System 24 arcade board)
Release Date: December 27th, 2018 (JP), March 28th. 2019 (NA and EU)

ak9wjuy.png

Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Sega Master System)
Release Date: February 21st, 2019 (JP), March 28th, 2019 (NA and EU)

puyof2j5g.png

Puyo Puyo (Sega System C2 arcade board)
Release Date: March 28th, 2019 (JP)

vra3kq3.png

Virtua Racing (Sega Model 1 arcade board)
Release Date: Spring 2019 (JP)

shmycnn.png

Space Harrier (Sega Space Harrier arcade board)
Release Date: ???

columns2utc05.png

Columns II (Sega System C arcade board)

tfac60d52.png

Thunder Force AC (Sega System C2 arcade board)

sonic26xccj.png

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

puyo2dxi6t.png

Puyo Puyo Tsu (Sega System C2 arcade board)

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I wonder if they're ever putting Sonic 3 and Knuckles here. It seems like SEGA always has trouble licensing that one.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they figure out the workflow of these soon, they're awesome but the release timing is such a mess

I think it's baffling that Sega is bringing over the Sega Genesis Collection, too. Sure, it's nice to have all those games in one place, but I hope it doesn't cannibalize sales. At least they seem to be focusing on more than just Genesis this time 'round.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In for Phantasy Star.

Here's to this leading to Saturn and Dreamcast releases.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Ah, they finally confirmed a date for Phantasy Star over here. Considering all the Phantasy Star stuff they're running in Sega Heroes right now, it kind of feels like they wanted to release it earlier. :P

Looking forward to Gain Ground, Thunder Force AC, and Virtua Racing. Hopefully the next batch will have some stuff new to Ages. Would love to see Shining Force with M2's usual QoL upgrades.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just caved and made a Japanese account to grab PS. Easier than I thought, but I've got to wait 3 days for Paypal to turn my money into Yen.

Sonic 2 will probably be a June release to coincide with Sonic's b-day. Virtua Racing will make a nice Christmas present for next year. I can't wait to see those Model 3 games on the Switch Pro's screen.

Last edited:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Ah, December 13th for Phantasy Star, okay.
I just sent my joycons to Nintendo for repair, hopefully they'll be back by then.

The Phantasy Star delays and the way the release dates have been spread out kinda worries me. Hopefully this initiative will be successful enough that they'll keep going beyond this initial batch as they initially promised. I want to see M2 tackle some titles that haven't been re-released a million times before.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ridiculously excited to play the arcade Virtua Racing on my Switch. Some home ports in the past have been good, but nothing is like that original Model 1 version.
I hope it also means Virtua Fighter at some point.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I bought the Phnatasy Star JP release because I figured the international release schedule was going to be a shitshow. Virtua Racing and OutRun are pretty much the main things I'm looking forward to at this point. I wonder if they'll add anything to Virtua Racing being that they have the source code for it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sweet, looking forward to a lot of these the wait for phantasy star has been agonizing but hopefully we're getting Alex kid this month and gain ground with one of the two. They are releasing as completed and would like to do pairs or trios where possible

Also looking forward to the buffet that is the genesis collection but Sega ages is brining quite a few solid games too

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
That lineup is looking great already. My hopes (excluding those totally unrealistic) are Panzer Dragoon / Zwei, Revenge of Death Adder, and Guardian Heroes.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Out of all of the announced games, Virtua Racing is the one I am the most hyped for. I never even came close to a VF arcade machine so finally having access to a perfect version is really exciting.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I think my ultimate requests are honestly Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 in their original Dreamcast glory. If M2 got NAOMI up and running, I would think Dreamcast is a lock and then they could do just that. M2 would legit be the ones to give us the definitive versions of both games. Sonic Adventure especially needs it.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Is there any particular reason to buy these ala carte vs getting the most recently released collection? Is the emulation and/or features that much better?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Really fuckin' hope that the port of Virtua Racing includes some of the extra tracks from the various home ports, the 32X one in particular. Knowing how particular M2 is about their own work I can definitely see it happen. This is the grantanoff of car games

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I think my ultimate requests are honestly Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 in their original Dreamcast glory. If M2 got NAOMI up and running, I would think Dreamcast is a lock and then they could do just that. M2 would legit be the ones to give us the definitive versions of both games. Sonic Adventure especially needs it.
Please no.
Sonic Adventure 1&2 have already been ported to many platforms. It would honestly be a waste of time and money.
M2 should prioritize games that have never been ported to home consoles, like Planet Harriers, Revenge of Death Adder, Scud Race and many more.
Besides, SA aged horribly.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any particular reason to buy these ala carte vs getting the most recently released collection? Is the emulation and/or features that much better?

I've heard d3t's emulation in the Sega Genesis Collection is pretty bad. M2 put top tier love and care into their emulations and ports.

Quality over quantity really.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Please no.
Sonic Adventure 1&2 have already been ported to many platforms. It would honestly be a waste of time and money.
M2 should prioritize games that have never been ported to home consoles, like Planet Harriers, Revenge of Death Adder, Scud Race and many more.

Believe it or not, Sonic Adventure never had a real HD release (bar modding on PC). The "HD" version on PS360 was actually 480p from what I recall reading, AND it was 4:3 with that purple boarder. It was really weird, and frankly had way over blown lighting, far worse than the GC version. From my experience with the PS3 version, that version had stutters never seen on GC as well.

Edit: DP...

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Please no.
Yeah, for real. Sonic Adventure is on Dreamcast, PC, GC, 360 and PS3. Yeah, I know about the issues with some of those versions, but at least those can be legally purchased.

Meanwhile, if I want to legally play Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, I have to go all the way to fucking Illinois or North Carolina, two of the only known places on the East Coast of the US with arcade cabinets up and running. That's fucking stupid.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I am really looking forward to VR. Does anyone know if there will be MP included or just single player?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
M2 teased another shooter was being added to the announced lineup soon. It's probably another Tecnosoft game or maybe Fantasy Zone 1/2 but I'm hoping for a Power Strike surprise.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
M2 teased another shooter was being added to the announced lineup soon. It's probably another Tecnosoft game or maybe Fantasy Zone 1/2 but I'm hoping for a Power Strike surprise.

The issue is that could be ANYTHING.

It could be 2D, 3D, from any system, anything. It's hardly a tease. We don't even know if it's one already on 3DS. Pretty dull IMO.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I've heard d3t's emulation in the Sega Genesis Collection is pretty bad. M2 put top tier love and care into their emulations and ports.

Quality over quantity really.
I see, thanks. I may grab Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic 2 whenever those come out, but I'm really interested to see if/when some dreamcast stuff comes out.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
M2 put top tier love and care into their emulations and ports.

Yeah, and they still have problems. D3T has pretty bad sound issues on a few games, but I don't think any emulator's gotten Alien Soldier's sound correct. Still, they're a bit behind something like Kega Fusion or M2's best. Better than the Digital Eclipse / Backbone stuff.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I finished playing through Phantasy Star about a week ago (courtesy the Japanese eShop, I was getting impatient) and with the QOL improvements it holds up beautifully. Highly recommended for PS and retro JRPG fans alike, M2 did a nice job.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Missed opportunity on "To release Phantasy Star in the west it takes AGES" tbh.

Watched, great work.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Can the backgrounds be disabled on these releases? Those static images scare me using an oled

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was out already (15th) this month? Ugh.

If you have a jpn eshop credit and and a jp account you can. It uses the english translation from the original, ("First Food" shop lol)so you could easily jump in and play it. I could maybe understand the delay if they are retranslating it for the switch release but I'm not sure if Sega would be willing to put in the effort for it.

If they do, I will gladly double dip.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the delays? I was hoping Outrun would be out by now, but this feels like it's taking fucking forever.

Especially a game that they already did on 3DS, surely there wouldn't have been that much to convert the assets etc. to another platform?

Thankfully I have Cannonball on Vita so that suffices for the moment, but I'd rather play the M2 release on the go.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Please no.
Don't forget burning rangers and panzer dragoon saga

Or fighting vipers 2 which never released in na(but did in Europe so there's an English version

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realize Phantasy Star got delayed again (remember people saying November 15th). I'm sure Nintendo Q&A is super backed up or possibly they found a bug.

I personally think M2 and SEGA have put together a pretty stellar early line-up. You got the titles that already appeared on 3DS (Sonic 1&2, Out Run, Space Harrier). One would imagine those may have been the best selling Sega 3D Classics. You got the Thunder Force titles which I adore, but realize they might not be for everyone. Gain Ground is a game that is surprisingly addictive and i'm happy we're getting an arcade perfect port. Alex Kidd is likely pretty easy to bring over and always fun. Columns 2 is a puzzle game and who isn't super excited to get Virtua Racing. Hopefully Star Wars Arcade also joins the series since they've stated it's technically possible (Model 1 game just like Virtua Racing).

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the delays? I was hoping Outrun would be out by now, but this feels like it's taking fucking forever.

Especially a game that they already did on 3DS, surely there wouldn't have been that much to convert the assets etc. to another platform?

Thankfully I have Cannonball on Vita so that suffices for the moment, but I'd rather play the M2 release on the go.
I mean, outside of western Phantasy Star, they haven't delayed anything, they were releasing the games at the very end of the month so there's no reason to believe Outrun or another game isn't releasing next week. I don't think they'll just port their previous version as is either.

Outrun is my most anticipated release for sure tho (until they announce Fantasy Zone anyway).

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
This is in English optionally, I assume?

Yes it's a toggle, International or Japanese. Everything's in English and IIRC it automatically boots as International if your console/user is Western.

The only thing that's NOT in English is the game manual, but it's not really necessary. The only thing in it I was curious about was what is changed in the "Sega Ages Mode" - but I figured that out after a couple hours of playing (4x xp and money per encounter, and the trap rate of chests after battles seems way lower).

EDIT:

To elaborate:

You can pick the Japanese or English mode, but the sound can be set independently of that (so for example, you can play the English release with the FM sound).

While random chests seem to be trapped less often in the Sega Ages mode, non-random chests that were trapped before are still trapped. Also, the 4x money thing doesn't apply to chests found outside of combat.

Last edited: