• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
I completely understand their position on this as it seems like the releases are reaching less people each time with the exception of Virtua Racing. Herzog Zwei is old enough now that many probably have no idea what it is or how iconic it was a few years after its release and for quite awhile afterward. It's always been one of the more expensive Sega Genesis games in the States but also one that's obscure even to many people who remember the system fondly.

I hope they continue to mine their catalog but it's probably time for a refresh of the line. Just changing it from Sega Ages to some kind of new Sega Classics or Sega Treasures line of releases with similar quality might be enough to jump start sales again too. People get comfortable with stuff like this and need it shaken up to pay attention again.

I'm really hoping the line is continuing with a new name (and maybe going multi-platform) or they're going to start releasing mini compilations of some sort.

Another possibility is maybe they actually want to focus on PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X and use the system's extra power to actually tackle accurate emulations of Saturn & Dreamcast games. I can dream. Of course I want those on Switch too, but I wonder if Switch could handle Saturn emulation to a level they'e happy with. We already know certain M2 Shot Triggers games haven't come to Switch because they aren't happy with the how the Switch version runs/haven't been able to get them going at full speed.

Worst case scenario is M2 is no longer working with SEGA on a series of retro releases. That would suck if that's true.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention Herzog Zwei. Downloaded it off Japan eShop. It's pretty awesome. Really enjoy the training mode they've created. Some pretty humorous writing. Look forward to playing online with people. Let me know if anyone would like to trade friend codes.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really hoping the line is continuing with a new name (and maybe going multi-platform) or they're going to start releasing mini compilations of some sort.

Another possibility is maybe they actually want to focus on PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series X and use the system's extra power to actually tackle accurate emulations of Saturn & Dreamcast games. I can dream. Of course I want those on Switch too, but I wonder if Switch could handle Saturn emulation to a level they'e happy with. We already know certain M2 Shot Triggers games haven't come to Switch because they aren't happy with the how the Switch version runs/haven't been able to get them going at full speed.

Worst case scenario is M2 is no longer working with SEGA on a series of retro releases. That would suck if that's true.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention Herzog Zwei. Downloaded it off Japan eShop. It's pretty awesome. Really enjoy the training mode they've created. Some pretty humorous writing. Look forward to playing online with people. Let me know if anyone would like to trade friend codes.
I hope you're right. I've got so many Saturn and Dreamcast games on my wishlist.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
www.nintendolife.com

Sega Ages Team Reveals The Most Popular Games In The Series

What were the highlights?
Nintendolife said:
So, what were the most popular games in the end? According to the Sega Ages team (courtesy of a translation by Oni Dino), in addition to sales, Virtua Racing got the "greatest response" of the lot in Japan, although the two Puyo Puyo games were also well-received.

Overseas, it was mixed - but in terms of sales, Sonic the Hedgehog was "by far" the biggest. Out Run was this region's second favourite (particularly in Europe) and Virtua Racing was also quite popular on social media.

Out Run and Virtua Racing doing well gives me a tiny sliver of hope we'll be seeing more racing games (come on, Outrunners!) and/or AM2 games (Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA).

Also give us Revenge of Death Adder pls Sega k thx

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
www.nintendolife.com

Out Run and Virtua Racing doing well gives me a tiny sliver of hope we'll be seeing more racing games (come on, Outrunners!) and/or AM2 games (Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA).

I'm not surprised Virtua Racing was a standout, it was the only one that was both a popular choice and not something we've seen multiple times before. I love the Sega Ages line but the game selection utterly bewilders me. They need to learn to strike a proper balance between the old standbys like Sonic and OutRun and games people would actually be excited to see ported, aka Saturn/Dreamcast titles or the ones you listed. No one but the most hardcore of Sega fans is pulling out their wallet for Herzog Zwei, G-LOC, or Ichidant-R. It's nice to have a few obscure oddballs like that, but it felt like they came at the expense of the heavy hitters everyone really wanted to see.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
www.nintendolife.com

Of course freaking sonic and boring outrun got the most sales in the west. Even when cool obscurities and great ports of barely ported gems like Shinobi show up, people always default to the same old boring stuff and that's why these projects keep dying (Game Gear on 3DS being the other big one that died a similar fate). Pretty damn upset at sega fans for not going out of their comfort zone and then they wonder why Sega frequently puts Sonic Games in compilations. Should have been Phantasy Star and Shinobi at higher parts of the list, those are godtier ports that are now the new ultimate ways to play. The Sonic 1 port is still super excellent too due to mega play, but still, it shouldn't be that game as the big success.

Virtua Racing being the highlight kinda surprised me though since a game without much music and not much to do, seemed pretty vanilla and not as interesting as Powerdrift or Turbo Outrun would have been... But the 8 player multiplayer and improved visuals were super cool even still!

I can't say I fault SEGA for playing it safe with their rereleases when people just stick to the boring basics all the time. That's why I'm super happy the astro city mini exists and the genesis mini has a lot of fun obscurities.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Grabbed every AGES Switch release on day one so I did my part.

Call me crazy but I'm still hoping we get a 32X compilation somewhere down the line, or at the very least a Knuckles' Chaotix port.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Of course freaking sonic and boring outrun got the most sales in the west. Even when cool obscurities and great ports of barely ported gems like Shinobi show up, people always default to the same old boring stuff and that's why these projects keep dying (Game Gear on 3DS being the other big one that died a similar fate). Pretty damn upset at sega fans for not going out of their comfort zone and then they wonder why Sega frequently puts Sonic Games in compilations. Should have been Phantasy Star and Shinobi at higher parts of the list, those are godtier ports that are now the new ultimate ways to play. The Sonic 1 port is still super excellent too due to mega play, but still, it shouldn't be that game as the big success.

Virtua Racing being the highlight kinda surprised me though since a game without much music and not much to do, seemed pretty vanilla and not as interesting as Powerdrift or Turbo Outrun would have been... But the 8 player multiplayer and improved visuals were super cool even still!

I can't say I fault SEGA for playing it safe with their rereleases when people just stick to the boring basics all the time. That's why I'm super happy the astro city mini exists and the genesis mini has a lot of fun obscurities.

These editions of Virtua Racing and Phantasy Star are the definitive ways to play those games, in my opinion. Really magnificent work. And from the looks of it, Herzog Zwei as well. I'll have to finally get around to that soon.

The Sonic ports are very good versions of those games, but I kind of wish they didn't take up spots in this. Both in terms of resources that could've gone to another game in what's now obviously a limited series, and in diverting attention towards them when people look up "Sega AGES" on the shop. That series as a whole has so much attention from Sega elsewhere. Giving the original trilogy the Taxman treatment would've been more appropriate than doing the first two games as part of a series like this.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Will buy shinobi and sonic 2 once on sale. If backwards compatibility with the 3ds was a thing, the switch couldve potentially had a better line up

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
These editions of Virtua Racing and Phantasy Star are the definitive ways to play those games, in my opinion. Really magnificent work. And from the looks of it, Herzog Zwei as well. I'll have to finally get around to that soon.

The Sonic ports are very good versions of those games, but I kind of wish they didn't take up spots in this. Both in terms of resources that could've gone to another game in what's now obviously a limited series, and in diverting attention towards them when people look up "Sega AGES" on the shop. That series as a whole has so much attention from Sega elsewhere. Giving the original trilogy the Taxman treatment would've been more appropriate than doing the first two games as part of a series like this.

IMO, AGES 1 is better than taxman by a long shot since the drop dash and mega play are just so much better ways to play the game than the OG way/tails/knuckles. Mega play cutting out the bad stages easily makes it the ultimate Sonic 1 experience and it's a fun scorechaser too. But yeah, S2 should have been more like taxman and included cut content, since while Hyper Sonic/Knuckles modes are cool for a newcomer like me, and ring keep makes the final boss actually beatable as knuckles without pulling your hair out, it's just a good port rather than the outstanding ones the other ages ports have been

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
I agree, Virtua Racing and Phantasy Star legit become essential with the AGES QoL additions. I am also grateful that the kids mode in Space Harrier allowed me to finally finish the game eventually.

Now SEGA why don't you be nice and release them all in a nice cartridge with a couple of nice extras, scanned manuals and designs you still have lying around somewhere? Get that second wind yen.

Madden

Nov 21, 2017
Now SEGA why don't you be nice and release them all in a nice cartridge with a couple of nice extras, scanned manuals and designs you still have lying around somewhere? Get that second wind yen.

I hope they never do that! At least I felt really burned when I bought all the 3DS releases individually and then they released the compilations which had exclusive bonus content. At least if they were to do it find a way to give the people who bought the games a way to access the bonus content instead of forcing people to rebuy a bunch of games just to get the extras.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
If there was money to be made, they'd do it in a heartbeat. But it's likely that the cost won't justify anything more than a barebones release, and even that looks highly unlikely.

And I wouldn't be worried about not being able to access the bonus content... all the Mega Drive Collection interviews are easily available on YouTube and all the manuals, PDFs etc. are online. Hardly anything is exclusive anymore. It's just a nice to have, you don't have to buy it again if you already have all the releases. But many people like me are happy to support a full physical release where we pay a bit over the odds for games we really have ZERO interest in playing again like Sonic, Puyo Puyo or Gain Ground in order to get them all in one collection.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
If there was money to be made, they'd do it in a heartbeat. But it's likely that the cost won't justify anything more than a barebones release, and even that looks highly unlikely.

And I wouldn't be worried about not being able to access the bonus content... all the Mega Drive Collection interviews are easily available on YouTube and all the manuals, PDFs etc. are online. Hardly anything is exclusive anymore. It's just a nice to have, you don't have to buy it again if you already have all the releases. But many people like me are happy to support a full physical release where we pay a bit over the odds for games we really have ZERO interest in playing again like Sonic, Puyo Puyo or Gain Ground in order to get them all in one collection.
The bonus content on the physical 3DS Sega Ages compilations wasn't interviews or any of that stuff.
It actually had exclusive extra games included.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017
Well I'm not asking for anything like that, I'm only saying they should package it all together in a deluxe version where you can see the covers, read a bit about the history of the game, see some artwork... a gazillion companies are doing this sort of thing these days and as a person who's worked in a similar industry where offering extra perks entices people to subscribe and/or buy Blu-rays, that bit is not particularly complicated or expensive, 90% of this stuff is available and owned by the parent company anyway, you only need a small production team to pull together the extras and the actual presentation.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Most of these are now half off with exception of the most recent games. In case people want to fill out their collection.

Edit: now that these have been posted, it looks like the popular titles are all 25% off and the other titles are 50%. Seems odd, but might be an understandable way to maximize sale revenue.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
bought the sonics. thought i'd had several more copies but... this is just the third for sonic 1 (sega smash pack on dc and sonic mega collection on gc being the others) and the third for sonic 2 (sonic mega collection and wii vc).

was sorta sight-unseen. i had remembered the detail about the spin dash in sonic 1, which really feels at home and like it should have been there all along. the drop dash is a nice addition too.

was not expecting knuckles in sonic 2. it was one of those nice bonus features that make the game fun on a revisit. wasn't expecting either game to have a save anywhere function - i used it to cheese getting the chaos emeralds in both games and i'm not ashamed to admit it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
A retail collection would be a smart move for maximizing sales after the fact, or maybe two collections given the price per game ($8). I'm still sad it ended here though with no Revenge of Death Adder, Outrunners, Virtua Fighter, etc. It retrospect it really feels like they should've either gone back to the PS2 era Sega Ages comprehensive series collections (Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, Thunderforce, Outrun, SOR, Afterburner, Fantasy Zone, WonderBoy, Treasure, Shining, etc) or else moved forward and done just unique 90s arcade releases (starting with Virtua Racing) rather than redeliver a bunch of 80s arcade and SMS/MD games they already did on Wii and 3DS.

Deleted member 27872

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was hoping for revenge of death adder so bad. Im pretty sad most of the games were just the same ones that hahve been released over and over. I still bought most of them though.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I turned on my Switch today (I do that maybe once or twice a month) and there was a patch for Virtua Racing. It adds a gamma option (press triggers during the Attract Mode) that fixes the colors!

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I turned on my Switch today (I do that maybe once or twice a month) and there was a patch for Virtua Racing. It adds a gamma option (press triggers during the Attract Mode) that fixes the colors!
They patched 6 games. Outrun, virtua racing, Puyo Puyo, phantasy Star, gain ground, and thunder force 4.

Info Here.