• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Outrun is my most anticipated release for sure tho (until they announce Fantasy Zone anyway).
Oh, this had better be a thing. I already have this in preparation:
58WdehVl.png

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Will buy outrun on all platforms, repeatedly.

I want a outrun coast to coast update/port/etc soooooooo bad.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was hoping for Outrunners. Outrun on 3DS was already fantastic and has a great 3D screen implementation.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All of these will be mine for sure, but am looking forward to Virtua Racing most of all.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Outrun comes out relatively close to Phantasy Star in NA so we don't get this weird month or two gap between regions

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, ready for OutRun. 3DS version was fantastic and loved the new music tracks. Can't wait to play it on a bigger screen.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
what are the QOL on phantasy star?

XOD2aUz.png

Features include a bestiary, item and magic list, and auto-mapping functionality. The item list displays weapons and armor, what characters can equip them, their stats, any unique attributes, and their prices. Additionally, there's a music player, which is equipped with a built in FM Sound Unit and includes 19 tracks from both the original version and the FM Sound Unit version.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Securing my ticket on this hype train. Got a huge chunk of the 3D Classics games for 3DS - Streets of Rage 2, OutRun, Fantasy Zone, Shinobi 3, Gunstar Heroes, Space Harrier, and Galaxy Force 2 - and they are some of the best gaming money I've ever spent. Gonna pick up Lightening Force and most likely Phantasy Star, but I'm most excited for the eventual NAOMI, Saturn, and Dreamcast jams.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Believe it or not, Sonic Adventure never had a real HD release (bar modding on PC). The "HD" version on PS360 was actually 480p from what I recall reading, AND it was 4:3 with that purple boarder. It was really weird, and frankly had way over blown lighting, far worse than the GC version. From my experience with the PS3 version, that version had stutters never seen on GC as well.

Edit: DP...
I dont know man. A proper port based on Dreamcast release with a nice bug fixing and some QOL woud be great,

Disappointed about the PS delay though. I might just buy the collection and call it a day, mediocre emulation and all

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I was prepared to have to sit through Gain Ground and Alex Kidd before OutRun so this is the best case scenario for me.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
It's a decent list, but man, why not have dates for some of those later titles? Are you rebuilding these games from the ground up or something?

And, SEGA, can you release some more of your arcade originals? Golden Axe 2: Revenge of Death Adder would be nice.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
I think my ultimate requests are honestly Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 in their original Dreamcast glory. If M2 got NAOMI up and running, I would think Dreamcast is a lock and then they could do just that. M2 would legit be the ones to give us the definitive versions of both games. Sonic Adventure especially needs it.

Thissssssss. SA1 especially needs a proper non-butchered edition on non-PC hardware badly.

maxresdefault.jpg

SA2 while faring better in consecutive ports suffered with it's lighting taking a hit which is even more noticeable in cutscenes.

6axnvXJ.png

I honestly wouldn't mind if they went further and combined SA2:B's additional content/rebalances with SA2 vanille + general tweaks (like the emerald radar which got a mod fix on PC earlier this year). Anyhow fingers crossed.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So how hilarious would it be if Sega were to troll everyone by having the Ages Sonic 2 be the SMS/GG version of the game

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure it is--Japanese releases get classic JP art, western releases get classic western art, that's just how it is.

Remember, NA just got "Lightening Force".

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Not always. In NA, Sonic 1 on 3DS and Switch use the JP art. Sonic 2 on 3DS though used the NA art.

Ah, maybe. I have the PAL version of Sonic 1 and can't remember which art it used, honestly.

From memory, there was a producer shift on both sides around the latter half of the second wave of 3DS games, perhaps they made a hard decision then... or maybe it's completely arbitrary, I don't know.

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
That is one deja-vu inducing, lazy ass list of old roms.

I will never pay money for original Outrun in a world where Outrun 2 exists.

I guess it would be naive to expect Outrun 2, Afterburner Climax, Daytona 1 and 2, Scud Race, Sega Rally 1 and 2 and all their other 90s and early 2000s arcade classics but still, fuuuuuuuck you Sega and every other miserable publisher constantly rereleasing the same old 8 and 16 bit games.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

I guess it would be naive to expect Outrun 2, Afterburner Climax, Daytona 1 and 2, Scud Race, Sega Rally 1 and 2 and all their other 90s and early 2000s arcade classics but still, fuuuuuuuck you Sega and every other miserable publisher constantly rereleasing the same old 8 and 16 bit games.

I'd be day one on most of those.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about lazy rom dumps in an M2 thread of all things.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

1) They are not old roms, they have tons of extra stuff

2) They already have Virtua Racing arcade announced and have plans for NAOMI games so that is literally "90's and early 2000's arcade classics"

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I really want to play Phantasy Star and I think I might go for the AGES version over the Sega Collection. The additions seem very nice for a newcomer.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Was hoping the western delay for PS was Sega rushing out a new localization but alas!
Ah, why do I do this to myself?

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
If they can continue to re-release Outrun, why have they been denying current gen formats a much begged for port of Outrun 2?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Damn, that month delay on Phantasy Star is really lame.
Might grab outrun but that line-up is disappointing yo.
Huh? The line-up is solid. Thunder Force AC and IV, Phantasy Star, Space Harrier, OutRun, and Virtua Racing are all great. Though some of them are pretty frequently ported, I'll grant you that. It'd be nice to get some deeper cuts.
Complaining about lazy rom dumps in an M2 thread of all things.
Yeah, it's pretty clear who has actually played M2 ports (more like remasters half the time) and who hasn't.

Last edited:

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If they can continue to re-release Outrun, why have they been denying current gen formats a much begged for port of Outrun 2?
They don't use ferrari license in those outrun rereleases. Use meh symbol instead of rampant horse... Outrun 2 without ferrari cars (is not only ferrari logo, cars are ferrari models too) wouln't be the same... SEGA should try to get the license back.
I want outrun 2 sp sdx.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Outrun will be mine. Hopefully Outrunners will be ported as well.

M2 Sega Ages games are ports (at least the 3DS games are) not emulation and they are everything but lazy.

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
'lazy' is the last word that should be used to describe any of M2's efforts.

I meant the list of games is the same old uninspiring stuff.

M2 can do whatever the hell they want polishing Sonic 1 but it and the rest of the games on the list apart from VR are still utterly uninspired choices. People haven't had a chance to miss stuff like Sonic 1 over the years with its constant rereleases, meanwhile Sega sit on a catalogue of 90s arcade gold, most of which has NEVER been given a home release.

It may well be more lucrative to release Sonic 1 yet again than it is to release Daytona 2 or Spikeout or Outrun 2 or Afterburner Climax, but I'm not going to act like I am remotely excited or interested in being dripfed 16 bit games again in late 2018.

I'll buy Virtua Racing. The game itself hasn't aged half as well as a lot of their stuff, but at least it's something outside their 16 bit comfort zone.

I'm just disappointed in the disparity between what could be and the reality.
We were getting Model 2 games on ps2 sega ages but now we're back to Sonic 1 again.
I suppose in a few years there will be windows based handhelds that can unofficially do what sega and namco etc won't, so at least there's that.

Last edited:

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I appreciate the original OutRun, OutRun 2/SP/Online is in desperate need of a re-release, especially after it was pulled from the PS360 storefronts.

The development of these ports by M2 isn't lazy, but the picks of games sure are.