• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I appreciate the original OutRun, OutRun 2/SP/Online is in desperate need of a re-release, especially after it was pulled from the PS360 storefronts.

The development of these ports by M2 isn't lazy, but the picks of games sure are.

They aren't lazy picks. OutRun and Space Harrier should be on everything.

That's not to say Sega shouldn't start re-releasing other games though. I want Panzer Dragoon Orta and OutRun 2 on my Switch.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Phantasy Star with the dungeon map function really makes all the difference. Sometimes I love to get out the pen and paper playing Wizardry, but Etrian Odyssey spoiled me, lol :)

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't lazy picks. OutRun and Space Harrier should be on everything.

That's not to say Sega shouldn't start re-releasing other games though. I want Panzer Dragoon Orta and OutRun 2 on my Switch.

I'm not saying OutRun (or Space Harrier for that matter) is a bad game, I'm saying when you go through the effort to make high-quality ports of back catalogue titles fans want to play, maybe don't choose games that already have ports all over the place.

The original OutRun in particular had ports on the Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, a remake on the PS2, and is fully playable in most of the recent Yakuza games (even Fist of the North Star) as well as Shenmue 2.
OutRun 2 (and its revisions, 2006-C2C and Online Arcade) on the other hand, is now only available on the Xbox, PS2, and PSP discs it originally released on, and even then the Xbox version is quite expensive.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying OutRun (or Space Harrier for that matter) is a bad game, I'm saying when you go through the effort to make high-quality ports of back catalogue titles fans want to play, maybe don't choose games that already have ports all over the place.

The original OutRun in particular had ports on the Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, a remake on the PS2, and is fully playable in most of the recent Yakuza games (even Fist of the North Star) as well as Shenmue 2.
OutRun 2 (and its revisions, 2006-C2C and Online Arcade) on the other hand, is now only available on the Xbox, PS2, and PSP discs it originally released on, and even then the Xbox version is quite expensive.

This series is set to last for a very long time. It's likely Sega will port both games that have seen many releases, as well as games that haven't.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Problem is, licensing on Outrun 2 makes porting it not so straight forward. I'm hoping they manage to come up with a version that loses the Ferrari license so that it can get a release without a licensing nightmare. Likewise for Afterburner Climax. Extra mode wise for OR2 I'd love to have all the console features from both OR2 and SP should it ever happen. As for Space Harrier, just having an excellent port that also lets me continue (which the Shenmue and Yakuza versions do not) would be a huge inclusion. Just so I don't need to break out my Saturn to play it.

Plus, this Outrun port will have the excellent 60FPS mode, which is certainly not included in most of the ports listed above. I can't wait to get it myself.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Problem is, licensing on Outrun 2 makes porting it not so straight forward. I'm hoping they manage to come up with a version that loses the Ferrari license so that it can get a release without a licensing nightmare. Likewise for Afterburner Climax. Extra mode wise for OR2 I'd love to have all the console features from both OR2 and SP should it ever happen. As for Space Harrier, just having an excellent port that also lets me continue (which the Shenmue and Yakuza versions do not) would be a huge inclusion. Just so I don't need to break out my Saturn to play it.

Plus, this Outrun port will have the excellent 60FPS mode, which is certainly not included in most of the ports listed above. I can't wait to get it myself.
Kinda funny that with all of Outrun's re-releases, only two (upcoming Switch port notwithstanding) of them have 60fps. Kinda like how Galaxy Force II and Power Drift didn't get arcade perfect ports until PS2 and 3DS, respectively.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Does Sonic 1 have NTSC, Japan, and PAL region settings?
Its got American and Japanese settings. As well as the option to play the arcade "Mega Play" version (which is more of a speed run mode that cuts Marble Zone :( and Labyrinth Zone :) ). No Pal settings, can't say that's a let down as I never want to suffer through PAL Sonic games ever again!

Kinda funny that with all of Outrun's re-releases, only two (upcoming Switch port notwithstanding) of them have 60fps. Kinda like how Galaxy Force II and Power Drift didn't get arcade perfect ports until PS2 and 3DS, respectively.
Well many of the old arcade ports were on inferior hardware so it was really only when the Saturn cropped up (alongside some awesome Japansese PCs) that arcade perfect ports could even be a thing for anything that isn't a Neo Geo!). But still, yeah it is weird that there are so few "arcade perfect" ports of the games, but it doesn't help that many ports get rushed or botched by bad studios. Part of the reason I'm getting these releases is that M2 rock in that regard, and the extras added really help make some games worth the repeated purchase - I never owned the 3DS versions so 60FPS Outrun on a portable is a must for me, Phantasy Star has some great additions to make an RPG illiterate fool like myself be able to play it!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, that's a shame about no PAL. I know it's awful, but it's the awful that I'm familiar with, and the soundtrack is better.

Playing Sonic 1 at full speed still feels weird for me.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder that there's many sensible reasons they are once again rereleasing Out Run, Sonic 1&2, and Space Harrier. First, those games sell well so it makes great business sense. Second, M2 has already ported them before and can release them a lot quicker than something they've never worked on. Third, they're all enduring Sega classics that should be on everything. Nintendo keeps releasing the original Super Mario Bros because people want it. Nostalgia is strong.

Also, Out Run 2 would be amazing. They should just get Sumo to port Out Run Online Arcade since I think a Arcade perfect port would be tough at this point.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Its got American and Japanese settings. As well as the option to play the arcade "Mega Play" version (which is more of a speed run mode that cuts Marble Zone :( and Labyrinth Zone :) ). No Pal settings, can't say that's a let down as I never want to suffer through PAL Sonic games ever again!

Well many of the old arcade ports were on inferior hardware so it was really only when the Saturn cropped up (alongside some awesome Japansese PCs) that arcade perfect ports could even be a thing for anything that isn't a Neo Geo!). But still, yeah it is weird that there are so few "arcade perfect" ports of the games, but it doesn't help that many ports get rushed or botched by bad studios. Part of the reason I'm getting these releases is that M2 rock in that regard, and the extras added really help make some games worth the repeated purchase - I never owned the 3DS versions so 60FPS Outrun on a portable is a must for me, Phantasy Star has some great additions to make an RPG illiterate fool like myself be able to play it!
Oh yeah, the pre-Saturn ports not being 60fps definitely make sense. The Dreamcast and Xbox ports via Shenmue II, Yu Suzuki Game Works and OutRun 2 were more what I was thinking of. The Saturn port was a really rare case of a game being 100% superior to it's arcade release (from a technical perspective) in a time where even getting home ports as good as arcade releases were somewhat rare.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I appreciate the original OutRun, OutRun 2/SP/Online is in desperate need of a re-release, especially after it was pulled from the PS360 storefronts.

The development of these ports by M2 isn't lazy, but the picks of games sure are.
I'd love to see OutRun 2006/SP SDX on Switch too but I feel like M2 and Sega Ages is probably better served focusing on older games from back when Sega was delivering their own custom hardware. Basically the pre-3rd party era.

Outrun 2006 and other similar ports (VF5FS, Afterburner Climax, HOTD 3/4/+, etc) should definitely also happen but they'd probably need to come from the arcade groups directly.

And while I was initially hesitant on the 3D Classics being redone again, if I'm being honest now I actually hope to see more of them. Specifically I'd still really want Fantasy Zone I & IIDX, Power Drift, Galaxy Force II, Puyo Puyo 2, Gunstar Heroes, Shinobi III and Street of Rage 2 at least.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Of the 3D Classics they previously worked on, the ones I'd have no problem seeing again:

Power Drift - Mainly because this actually got a JP exclusive update in Japan that added an extra mode that lets you race as Sega characters like Alex Kidd and the OutRun flagman. Would be a great way to actually make it available everywhere else, and it's not like Power Drift has seen many ports, anyway

Fantasy Zone II DX - As far as I know, the 3DS version is the only release with actual widescreen. Would be nice to have all of the 3DS extras and the ability to play on the big screen.

Turbo OutRun - Because again, Japan only ever got this.

I kinda feel like Galaxy Force II peaked with the 3DS version, to be honest. Stereoscopic 3D really positively affected that game more than any other out of that whole M2 line, imo.

Oct 29, 2017

Well the original arcade version of Outrun was actually 30FPS. The 60FPS was actually added as an extra mode.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of the 3D Classics they previously worked on, the ones I'd have no problem seeing again:

Power Drift - Mainly because this actually got a JP exclusive update in Japan that added an extra mode that lets you race as Sega characters like Alex Kidd and the OutRun flagman. Would be a great way to actually make it available everywhere else, and it's not like Power Drift has seen many ports, anyway

Fantasy Zone II DX - As far as I know, the 3DS version is the only release with actual widescreen. Would be nice to have all of the 3DS extras and the ability to play on the big screen.

Turbo OutRun - Because again, Japan only ever got this.

I kinda feel like Galaxy Force II peaked with the 3DS version, to be honest. Stereoscopic 3D really positively affected that game more than any other out of that whole M2 line, imo.

Galaxy Force II is underrated, and it was indeed amazing on 3DS.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I can kind of agree here. GF2 is an amazing ride/experience but as a game itself maybe M2 would be better served doing something like an arcade remake Space Harrier II DX or else just jumping ahead to Panzer Dragoon.

panopticblue

Oct 31, 2017
What we actually need from this series is an arcade-perfect port of Outrunners. There's one that's never been ported well to any system.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Bought both Sonic 1 and Lightening Force. I'm shocked these are already on sale, even on Black Friday.

Man these are fucking outstanding packages. The sleek menu interface, the wealth of options (especially the display options). Fantastic.

My only issues so far are:

- When turning the wallpaper off, it's not actually gone, it's instead replaced by this black/grey gradient or something, have look:

DsjpQzdUcAAZJ5U.jpg:orig

- Sonic 1 doesn't have a BGM menu despite LF having it. I know about the cheat code, but you'd think they'd have put one in regardless.

Still wonderful. Here have a look at the title screen with the snazzy CRT filter!

DsjpQzPUcAAKrjx.jpg:orig

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a Switch, you need these games.

Sonic 1 is as good as it's ever been. Thunder Force is a shmup tour de force.

M2 is a quality dev who has more than earned their rep.

The extra options are great as well. Sonic gives you the Megaplay arcade version of it to play - which is a speed run version (strict time limit) and a nice new spin on the game. And speaking of spin, the jump spin thingy from Mania alongside 2's spindash is also in as options, and the drop dash is super useful in traversing levels faster.

Thunderforce IV basically gives you an easy mode, that lets me enjoy the game more so than if it was just a straight port. They are both fantastic. I can't wait for Phantasy Star and the other games to come.

Also as mentioned above, I'd take any and all Outrun (Turbo, 2, Runners) ports I can get. Be nice to get proper perfect ports of them and I can't think of a team better than M2 to do the job.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Outrun. I've played it countless times before but it'll be so nice to have it on the Switch to play.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I really hope December 13th is both Phantasy Star and Out Run for us. To see the gap getting wider and wider would be painful.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
At this point we might as well buy the JP version of these games. If we do, we will have access to the Western versions when they release, anyway.

Nov 4, 2017
It's weird that Sega will soon have a better legacy software library on the Switch than Nintendo. Which is a good thing for me in a way, as I've never owned a Sega so it's all new to me.

I'm quite hyped for Phantasy Star.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
It's weird that Sega will soon have a better legacy software library on the Switch than Nintendo. Which is a good thing for me in a way, as I've never owned a Sega so it's all new to me.

I'm quite hyped for Phantasy Star.

I was thinking that the other day. SNK, Sega, Capcom all have more compelling retro content on the Switch now than Nintendo does.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely, if just for the new music.

As well as all the original music and the new 3DS stuff, it will also have classic-ised versions of Step on Beat and Radiation.

Nice, a classic version of Radiation may be the one thing that can convince me to not use Cruising Line every time.

Guess I'm just going to the Japanese Eshop then. Not waiting until next year for this, no way!

Same, guess it's time to go set up a Japanese PayPal account. I chose to endure Phantasy Star's constant delays in hopes that it was an unfortunate one-off but if this is how it's going to be for every future game then why wait? They've all had English translations baked into the JP releases so far, and even if they don't it's not a big deal since Phantasy Star was the only text-heavy game where it mattered.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Same, guess it's time to go set up a Japanese PayPal account. I chose to endure Phantasy Star's constant delays in hopes that it was an unfortunate one-off but if this is how it's going to be for every future game then why wait? They've all had English translations baked into the JP releases so far, and even if they don't it's not a big deal since Phantasy Star was the only text-heavy game where it mattered.

Is there a best practice/instructions for setting up a Japanese PayPal account that will work seamlessly with the eShop?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The Outrun delay is seriously crap. With Phantasy Star at least there was text translation to help account for the push but what's the reasoning for Outrun?