• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can only guess maybe the staff involved in the evaluation process have different holiday schedules between Japan and the west, but still.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Outrun will be the same without the 3D, but I'll probably definitely end up getting it the moment it comes out.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I shouldn't complain about Out Run being unavailable (even though I sure will), because I can play this on my Vita:

Still, a gap of literally months is some complete horseshit.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a best practice/instructions for setting up a Japanese PayPal account that will work seamlessly with the eShop?

Was going to respond to this after I set mine up, but it turns out the tutorials on setting up a JP account that I saved from like a year ago are no longer applicable, methods that previously worked now fail. Time to fall back on buying eShop cards at slightly marked up prices!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Another winning icon. Much better than the ACA NeoGeo method!

1476.png

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, the new "Driver's Megamix Vol.1" is glorious. It's a new arrangement that combines the three original songs in succession and its soooo good, damn. I hope the name means there's another one you have to unlock.

Game looks amazing on the Switch screen too, this is a dream version.

I really hope there's a way to buy the new arrangements made for this version at some point, the 3DS ones were a pain to get.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Picked the port up tonight. Its wonderful. I've not played a 60FPS Outrun version before so its kinda a revelation for me. I can see me sinking so many hours into this, even though thanks to Yakuza 0, 6 and FOTNS I've played it loads lately.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
bought an eshop card to buy outrun literally yesterday and still somehow forgot that it was coming out today

i DASHED to that eshop boi

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Outrun needs a sprite editor so you can...edit that back into being a "Ferrari" without Sega having to buy a license.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any particular reason to wait on the US release of Phantasy Star? Might just pick it and Outrun up tonight from the JP shop instead.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
OutRun's staff credits are the coolest so far, even has its own special music unlike Sonic and Thunder Force.

Is there any particular reason to wait on the US release of Phantasy Star? Might just pick it and Outrun up tonight from the JP shop instead.

Only reason I'm still waiting on US Phantasy Star is because it's only two weeks away and I'd rather save the remainder of my JP eShop credit for the next two releases.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying this so much. The music alone makes it worth the replay for me. Plus I just love having a nice range of retro games on my Switch. Definitely cannot wait to get the next few releases (especially Virtua Racing).

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Oh god, the new "Driver's Megamix Vol.1" is glorious. It's a new arrangement that combines the three original songs in succession and its soooo good, damn. I hope the name means there's another one you have to unlock.

Game looks amazing on the Switch screen too, this is a dream version.

I really hope there's a way to buy the new arrangements made for this version at some point, the 3DS ones were a pain to get.

They added the 3DS tunes to the itunes Outrun soundtrack after a while, and they're also on the vinyl that came out recently.

There's at least one other additional tune in this version, an arrangement of one of the songs from 3-D Outrun on Master System, I forget the name right now but it's the one that's not Shining Wind.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
qtbim4C.jpg

That's one down! I'm seriously in love with this port.

By the way, which are your preferred display settings? I'm trying them all. The arcade setup is neat but I suspect it it's more fit for docked play.
They added the 3DS tunes to the itunes Outrun soundtrack after a while, and they're also on the vinyl that came out recently.

There's at least one other additional tune in this version, an arrangement of one of the songs from 3-D Outrun on Master System, I forget the name right now but it's the one that's not Shining Wind.
Yeah I ended up buying the individual tracks off iTunes, but having to set up an Apple account just for that was a pain.

I think this one includes some tracks from Outrun 2 as well, right? Either way all new tracks are awesome.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I finished playing through it a week or two ago and using the Ages mode (4x experience and money per battle) with the automap, it holds up great. It's crazy how ahead of its time it was.

In original mode: the grinding is a chore.

Alright, that sounds good. I only ever briefly tried the Sega classics version on Steam. I think that was different from this release?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hooray for release day glory lol
4YO0JQF.jpg

I love that you can watch ranked replays too.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nice :) I'll never be that good at Outrun, I'm just enjoying having a version I can replay and finish more consistently while just enjoying the game. I'd love to get similar ports for (Super) Hang On, Power Drift etc.

As for Phantasy Star, I'm really looking forward to that. I'm not an RPG fan but I do love the sound of Ages mode, its nice to have a mode that sounds perfect for me to jump into it.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I think this one includes some tracks from Outrun 2 as well, right? Either way all new tracks are awesome.

It has all the tunes from the 3DS version, with two additional tunes from other games that are arranged for the original Outrun arcade hardware (Step on Beat from the Mega Drive port and Radiation from one of the home versions of Outrun 2) plus some extra arranges that they didn't announce until now, which include a tune from 3-D Outrun and "Driver's Megamix Vol.1" which is more of a medley, and there may be more.

Any tune that shows a cassette on the song select screen is a bonus tune they added via streaming, rather than arranging it for the arcade hardware.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's so cool having this game on Switch with its big screen. Looks, sounds and plays beautifully too. Another cracking job by M2.

Makes me very excited about Virtua Racing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God please let this be successful enough to get Saturn games. Or at least S3&K.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I ADORE M2 and will likely buy every game they put out in this line, but I have to say: I wish they'd take another pass at their scanline filter, it's way too fine and looks sorta terrible.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Ooh shit, motion/wheel support is nice. Won't be able to grab this til Friday, though.

Real talk: If they decided to port Super Hang On and added support for the Labo motorbike thing, I'd grab a Labo immediately. That could legit be a decent stand in for the original setup.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Waiting until next year is painful. Does the Japanese version include English for most menus? Is it worth waiting?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Waiting until next year is painful. Does the Japanese version include English for most menus? Is it worth waiting?
Haven't bought it myself, but I believe they default to whatever the system language is set to. At least that was the case with Phantasy Star.

And I mean, it's OutRun. Language barriers would do little to impede enjoyment of it anyway, lol

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh shit, motion/wheel support is nice. Won't be able to grab this til Friday, though.

Real talk: If they decided to port Super Hang On and added support for the Labo motorbike thing, I'd grab a Labo immediately. That could legit be a decent stand in for the original setup.

If they ever do a retail collection I'm hoping it'll come with a Labo kit.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't bought it myself, but I believe they default to whatever the system language is set to. At least that was the case with Phantasy Star.

And I mean, it's OutRun. Language barriers would do little to impede enjoyment of it anyway, lol
Yep, you are right. BRB I am going to look for my wallet.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I swear wasn't Phantasy Star suppose to be like out earlier? I could have sworn the release date was October or something.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't wait, bought on JP store. Haven't played the Ages version of this before, but seems easier than I remember. Cleared all the routes and unlocked "Arcade" mode. Guess I was running "Special" before. Not sure what the tuning things do outside of change your car color.

Credits was cute. And the Space harrier in the background of the borders. When's Space Harrier out? lol. It would be neat, if I can use the Labo wheel for this, if I could use the Labo flight stick for that.

And yeah, everything is in English as if it were the NA release, provided your system language is english. If I had to guess, it looks like if you try to go to the Manual section the english version isn't there (it is just a website with entries for Sonic/Thunderforce), so maybe that was part of the holdup releasing it.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Everything is already in English, apparently the wait between JP and NA releases is solely due to eShop submission shenanigans and not anything actually related to the games themselves.