• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting to be letdown coming from the 3DS version and my opinion didn't change. I really miss the 3D, and all resolutions except the "cabinet" one look horrible no matter the filter. The 3DS version (on New 3DS) looks way crisper even at full width and the colors feel more natural. And I feel that the joycon's stick is not really suited for the small adjustments when avoiding traffic.

Again, I have around 40 hours on 3DS so maybe it's a matter of adjusting myself to the new system, but so far I'm not impressed.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Oh my fuck, just listened to Drivers Megamix. How has it taken this long for there to be an official OutRun medley in a game?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my fuck, just listened to Drivers Megamix. How has it taken this long for there to be an official OutRun medley in a game?
It makes so much sense in retrospect. I love how it leaves Magical Sound Shower for last because it works as further incentive for me to last longer, haha.

gillty

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver - Kansai
I was expecting to be letdown coming from the 3DS version and my opinion didn't change. I really miss the 3D, and all resolutions except the "cabinet" one look horrible no matter the filter. The 3DS version (on New 3DS) looks way crisper even at full width and the colors feel more natural. And I feel that the joycon's stick is not really suited for the small adjustments when avoiding traffic.

Again, I have around 40 hours on 3DS so maybe it's a matter of adjusting myself to the new system, but so far I'm not impressed.
Yeah I have to agree that I'm not impressed by the scaling on the switch version as a handheld. I think this game played better on the new 3DS with the 3D and the tilting arcade effect.

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beat course B and C today! Usually it takes me a lot of practice to beat anything past B but somehow I beat those in a row this time around. The bigger screen sure helps me make less mistakes.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the higher frame rate and larger screen is helping me as well. I'm having less problems this go round, and the car upgrades further help make things easier so I can learn later courses. I'm loving it :)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Differences between the Arcade and "Special" are the increased song count and tuning options, anything else?

Does anyone know what option the wheel icon in the upper right on the menu is supposed to represent?

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Differences between the Arcade and "Special" are the increased song count and tuning options, anything else?

Does anyone know what option the wheel icon in the upper right on the menu is supposed to represent?

Special is 60fps, original is the original game which ran at 30fps.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

It's glorious. I gotta admit, I well up a bit when I play OutRun and hear the music because all the memories of me playing it in arcades as a kid, and as I grew up. Me and a me took a day off when we were at Codemasters to drive down to the 'Troc in London who had just got the Outrun 2 arcade machine in. Great day!

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Holy fuck these gaps are annoying as hell. I expected to be able to play Sonic 1 on my Switch in June (shortly when they announced them) yet it somehow took until September for them to release both it and lightning force. (a game I found incredibly generic and dull, sadly. Thunder Force AC looks much more fun and more fair in comparison, but I also hope it lets you see the bosses taking damage which is what killed LF for me) Was super hyped to play Gain Ground before the end of the year but at this slow ass rate they may not get it out until next spring. They somehow stumbled onto a monthly schedule like the JPN 3DS Classics at least, but in the US these gaps are even worse despite the SKUs being the exact same most of the time. (save for Thunder Force IV and Phantasy Star which are different) on the US compared to JPN) They really shouldn't have announced these as early as they did if it would take so long for the first five to release.

Had tons of fun with Phantasy Star though and was hooked, but no way in hell am I waiting for them to port the other three over with their slow speed. I'm gonna just grab the collection next week and use the fast forward in that to speed through all the RPGs, even if the grinding is a bit more than M2's easy modes permit. (which is very similar to the one they put in the fantastic PS Collection on PS2) I'd still recommend Phantasy Star to anyone wanting to check it out though, but I also hope they speed up the releases to two/three a month, or go the hamster route and release something every single week if possible. Also a bit miffed we're getting another port of the mediocre Sonic 2 for Genesis instead of Sonic CD, 3K or even the Game Gear 1/2. I'd love if they ported the GG sonics with new features for a change instead of the same old genesis ones, since I find the GG ones to be a lot more fun and super underrated. Same goes for the Shinobi games on GG compared to Revenge/III (Though Shadow Dancer on Genesis/Arcade is awesome and that would be cool to see too)

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Guys I am just about to hit buy for outrun, but the Japanese page says something about 3ds and wiiu. Anyone knows what is that about? I have outrun on my n3ds and many other systems, but just wondering.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beat course D for the first time today, just one more!
Guys I am just about to hit buy for outrun, but the Japanese page says something about 3ds and wiiu. Anyone knows what is that about? I have outrun on my n3ds and many other systems, but just wondering.
Can't say for sure since I don't know japanese, but I got the message too. My guess is it's asking if you want to unify your wallet with a 3DS/Wii U account before adding money.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Woohoo!

WWtE6AZ.png

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ni...software/SEGA-AGES-Phantasy-Star-1472731.html

Huh, Phantasy Star has a different icon here in the UK. Below on the left is the Japanese one, the right is the UK (and presumably all EU and US) one.

1324.png
1547.png

Last edited:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just downloaded it an hour ago. This is such a great version of the game.
I loved the little intro with Alex Kidd.

The options provided don't allow to break the game quite as much as the version in the PS2 collection did but that's fine, I like that there's still a little bit of challenge to the game when playing Ages Mode.

It's the first time I've played the game with the Master System FM Sound Unit thing and it was quite a shock at first. I thought it sounded way worse. But nah, it just sounded different from what I remembered and it was hard to adjust. But I'm loving it now.

The attention to detail is amazing. The manual even has a section listing some of the original issues with the game and all the ways you can fuck yourself over as well as tips to avoid such situations. They really thought of everything. M2 really fucking nailed this.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna be hard to juggle this with Smash, but being a download helps, won't have to swap carts.

Just downloaded it an hour ago. This is such a great version of the game.
I loved the little intro with Alex Kidd.

Yeah, the other characters in the intro change randomly each time. I've seen Nei (PS2), Mieu (PS3), Rika (PS4), some of the heavy dudes from Golden Axe, and a few I didn't recognize. I think there was a Flicky too. Mostly I'm just amazed they're still acknowledging Phantasy Star 3.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
If you use eShop credit and have credit left on your account it won't let you switch back. That's what happened to me with a purchase off of the US store anyway.
I'm pretty sure it does, unless the rules for the US eShop in particular are different. It just warns you that you won't be able to use that credit in a different region's store.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
A month until Out Run... damn. Oh well, between everything else, Phantasy Star will take at least that long for me to get through!

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Are there any fundamental differences spotted between the JPN/NA versions of Phantasy Star besides the icon? It's treated like an entirely separate sku by the eshop instead of just the same game in a different region so I was wondering if there were any other differences of note.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Bought Phantasy Star earlier and put in about 2 hours non-stop on Ages mode. Pacing is so much better, though there's still the hump of having to grind a level or two just to survive the outskirts of Camineet. Those Owl Bear bastards are ruthless. By the end of my session I had Myau and "Odin" in tow, with the dungeon key I need to access Ilala Cave. Went a good while without realizing there was another town called Parolit connected to the Palma spaceport I could access, so I couldn't upgrade Alis's sword until I had already gone to Motavia and back. Oops!

Forgot how spongy Myau is when you get him, decided to grind a bit so I can buy the Thick Fur over in Paseo, took literally no time at all fighting beach monsters on Palma. Toughest part was keeping him alive so he could soak up some experience.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Just bought Phantasy Star, what changes does this have? I remember someone mentioning QOL changes. I like playing older jrpgs sometimes, I seen this on the store randomly and remember having a ps2 game of the series so I went a head and grabbed it.

Nov 4, 2017
I was outraged last night. Went to go grab Phantasy Star once I got my daughter to bed. No sign of it. It was 9pm on the 13th here (Australia).

Oh well, I'll grab it tonight and enjoy over the weekend.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I played Out Run a bit. I don't love the menus or the presentation in general. The scanline effect and borders are pretty poor. Tbh I expected more polish given M2's rep, but the game is great.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It's the first time I've played the game with the Master System FM Sound Unit thing and it was quite a shock at first. I thought it sounded way worse. But nah, it just sounded different from what I remembered and it was hard to adjust. But I'm loving it now.

That's how I feel too. I would love to hear opinions on this from people playing the game for the first time. Newcomers, could you please listen to a song or two in both FM and non-FM mode and tell us which one is the best?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought Phantasy Star, what changes does this have? I remember someone mentioning QOL changes. I like playing older jrpgs sometimes, I seen this on the store randomly and remember having a ps2 game of the series so I went a head and grabbed it.

Original mode is just the old game perfectly emulated. Ages mode lowers the encounter rate and increases the rewards gain to make the pacing smoother. (Not sure if some of the brickwall moments were addressed in Ages mode too?). Visuals are the same for both versions.

You can also choose between the original audio and the higher quality but slightly altered FM audio track.

The dungeon maps now include auto-mapping features and a nice high resolution party status on the side of the screen. Pause anytime for useful item and spell description tables and a bestiary that tracks monsters and their stats in game.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Original mode is just the old game perfectly emulated. Ages mode lowers the encounter rate and increases the rewards gain to make the pacing smoother. (Not sure if some of the brickwall moments were addressed in Ages mode too?). Visuals are the same for both versions.

You can also choose between the original audio and the higher quality but slightly altered FM audio track.

The dungeon maps now include auto-mapping features and a nice high resolution party status on the side of the screen. Pause anytime for useful item and spell description tables and a bestiary that tracks monsters and their stats in game.
Awesome! Thanks for the info! So If I do ages mode I wont really miss out of anything?

Nov 4, 2017
That's how I feel too. I would love to hear opinions on this from people playing the game for the first time. Newcomers, could you please listen to a song or two in both FM and non-FM mode and tell us which one is the best?
I'll gladly give that a go for you. I normally don't dig heavy FM synth use in soundtracks, will be interesting to see how it sounds.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Teasing out morsels like this is pure torture (in an obviously figurative sense). The SEGA AGES series on the PS2 in Japan at least offered something of value with each release - remastered originals, compilations including variations of the same game for different SEGA system, behind-the-scenes stuff and a nice little booklet. This looks very low effort.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
What the heck is with the crackly audio in Phantasy Star?

I didn't notice it when I first played it, but I was intrigued by your comment and started a game with headphones on.

Well, there is indeed a very noticeable crackling in the the FM town theme! And while the non-fm version is mostly fine, there is a crackling sound when the music is about to loop! It's super weird.

Have you noticed this in other themes? The ones I've heard up to now sound fine.

I'll gladly give that a go for you. I normally don't dig heavy FM synth use in soundtracks, will be interesting to see how it sounds.

Thanks a lot!