• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't notice it when I first played it, but I was intrigued by your comment and started a game with headphones on.

Well, there is indeed a very noticeable crackling in the the FM town theme! And while the non-fm version is mostly fine, there is a crackling sound when the music is about to loop! It's super weird.

Have you noticed this in other themes? The ones I've heard up to now sound fine.

Thanks a lot!

Didn't play for very long.

Nov 4, 2017
So I've just played through the intro/first town using both normal and FM.

If you put a gun to my head and made me pick, I'd choose FM. The regular soundtrack is a little tinny in comparison. The FM soundtrack sounds a lot cleaner and deeper, but is a little more dull/less lively so far. I'm going to play with the FM mode on for a while and see how I go, then try switching back. I'm playing through TV speakers quietly, can't notice a crackling.

I was such a massive Nintendo fanboy growing up... But the SMs destroys the NES in terms of graphical power, right? It's the impression I'm getting from this gsme.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
If you use eShop credit and have credit left on your account it won't let you switch back. That's what happened to me with a purchase off of the US store anyway.
I'm pretty sure it does, unless the rules for the US eShop in particular are different. It just warns you that you won't be able to use that credit in a different region's store.
I was prompted to surrender the 1 yen that was left in my account and did that. If it had been a useful amount of money, I would've been less keen to switch back.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Playing Phantasy Star for the first time, I've played various ones in the series though like 3,4 & 5 any tips? Also I'm having fun being very weak in the beginning and being crushed by the weakest monster that's not the swarm thing lol! Does when the game show 2 HP bars that means I'm fighting two enemies I'm guessing even if the game doesn't show two.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The regular soundtrack is a little tinny in comparison. The FM soundtrack sounds a lot cleaner and deeper, but is a little more dull/less lively so far. (...) I was such a massive Nintendo fanboy growing up... But the SMs destroys the NES in terms of graphical power, right? It's the impression I'm getting from this gsme.

Yeah, this is how I feel about the FM soundtrack. It feels less lively, but smoother. I've played with FM sound for a few hours yesterday and I'm starting to like it a lot. Thanks for your opinions on this!

And yes, the Master System was a beast. You know Sega has this arcade background, so their consoles were always about high technology and power.

Playing Phantasy Star for the first time, I've played various ones in the series though like 3,4 & 5 any tips? Also I'm having fun being very weak in the beginning and being crushed by the weakest monster that's not the swarm thing lol! Does when the game show 2 HP bars that means I'm fighting two enemies I'm guessing even if the game doesn't show two.

Lol... the beginning is brutal. Not spoiling anything, but the first thing you need to do is gather 300 meseta, and as you can see, you're pathetically weak ^_^

As you've guessed, 2 HP bars = 2 monsters, so they'll attack twice. If you're playing classic mode and you're still Level 1, I suggest you start by only fighting sworms (two at the same time is fine if your health is full) and scorpions (only one, not two at the same time). A great tip: buy an iron sword in the neighbor city, Parolit. It's only 75 meseta and it will help a lot against scorpions.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Yea, I only played about 30 minutes so far, but entered some cave south of the town. I even circled the area beforehand trying to get into a fight but nothing doing(the lowered encounter rate must be severe!) The two HP bars of the enemy I fought in the cave decimated me as I was trading 1 HP on them for like 2-4 against me each turn. I had no hope. I only had the Leather Shield(store bought) and Short sword and was lvl 1.

Thankfully I saved manually before entering the cave, but I guess I need to keep trying to get easier battles and will go for that sword upgrade in the next town first.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
NES:
1.79 MHz 6502 CPU
2KB RAM
2KB VRAM
16 colors on screen
52 color palette

SMS:
3.58 MHz Z80 CPU
8KB RAM
16KB VRAM
32 colors on screen
64 color palette

SEGA designed the Master System to be more powerful than the Famicom.

Master System/Sega Mark III came out two years after the Famicom in Japan. We're looking at 1985 vs. 1983 technology.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Yea, I only played about 30 minutes so far, but entered some cave south of the town. I even circled the area beforehand trying to get into a fight but nothing doing(the lowered encounter rate must be severe!) The two HP bars of the enemy I fought in the cave decimated me as I was trading 1 HP on them for like 2-4 against me each turn. I had no hope. I only had the Leather Shield(store bought) and Short sword and was lvl 1.

If you're level 1, you should ONLY face sworms and 1HP scorpions. Don't go into the forest. Don't go into caves. If you find 2HP scorpions, run for your life ^_^

Oh, by the way, there are no monsters inside the walled area where the first two cities are, except if you go into that small forest. If you're grinding, you have to leave the walled area. I suggest you walk up and down along the outer side of the right wall. Avoid forest tiles, keep walking in the grass where you'll find enemies you can manage. Enemies in the forest can be dangerous.

And cross-posting from the eshop thread:

Played Phantasy Star until 3 AM. Wow, the Ages version is really good.

I'm playing on "Ages Mode" (enemies give you 4x money and exp) and it works very well. In the original game, money is tight and you need to grind a lot at certain spots because there are some crucial items that are very expensive. Even regular equipment sold in towns is pretty expensive and you have to grind for it, so I usually skip most of the weapons and armors sold in shops.

in Ages mode, however, it looks like I always have the right amount of money to buy new equipment. Not only that, but grinding for those expensive items is very quick. I think the 4x number is the sweet spot: it doesn't break the game, but you get enough money to try new equipment and advance without the need to grind. Super cool stuff.

I think I'm finally getting used to the FM sound. While some themes sound more melodic in the non-FM version, I think the FM version sounds more modern and smooth (my wife says "this version isn't annoying", I guess that's a good thing ^_^). The FM dungeon theme in particular sounds surprisingly close to the remixed version found in Phantasy Star IV.

I also like the display options. I don't usually enable filters, but smoothing makes the game look a lot like it did when I played it as a kid and I think it enhances the shades, giving the dungeons a comic book style that was probably intended by the devs at the time:

CHb4iVK.jpg

No filters

ZWbzJfA.jpg

Smoothing enabled

The only issue I've found so far is the weird crackling in the town theme. Oh, and the music stutters veeeeeery briefly when you save the game, but I'm being super picky here :P

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the crackling/static in the town theme is so weird given it doesn't happen anywhere else. And it happens on both soundtracks! :/

SEGA designed the Master System to be more powerful than the Famicom.

Master System/Sega Mark III came out two years after the Famicom in Japan. We're looking at 1985 vs. 1983 technology.
Yes, Famicom actually came out technically ahead of Sega's directly competitive console (SG-1000). Mark III was a response to that although Nintendo kept up by using custom mapper chips until PC Engine blew them both away another 2 years later.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
If you're level 1, you should ONLY face sworms and 1HP scorpions. Don't go into the forest. Don't go into caves. If you find 2HP scorpions, run for your life ^_^

Oh, by the way, there are no monsters inside the walled area where the first two cities are, except if you go into that small forest. If you're grinding, you have to leave the walled area. I suggest you walk up and down along the outer side of the right wall. Avoid forest tiles, keep walking in the grass where you'll find enemies you can manage. Enemies in the forest can be dangerous.

And cross-posting from the eshop thread:

Thanks! Yea, I was wandering outside the wall for a good while, following the ocean bank south and about just trying to get into a fight and was wondering if there were either no encounters on the map since nothing appeared, so I saved and ducked into the first cave(the one with the statue in your first vid).

I'll spend the weekend playing and grind a bit in the area know that I know there are indeed things to attack heh. I really only spent less than 30m yesterday playing so far.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Is Phantasy Star good?
I love it, and the changes M2 have made to this version to make it more friendly to modern players make a huge difference (automap, more money, less grinding, ability to run, easy reference to item/spell lists, etc.), and address the most common blockers that have made the original not age so gracefully.

You also have to kind of put yourself in the context of what console RPGs were like in 1988, which is to say they were damn-near nonexistent depending on where you lived. Dragon Warrior I didn't come out in the US until the following year, and Final Fantasy I not until 1990. Compared to those, Phantasy Star almost seems like an early 16-bit title in terms of what it was doing scope-wise and especially graphically. It has 3D scrolling dungeons, big animated enemy sprites, beautiful battle backgrounds (some animated), large cinematic artwork, etc.

FWIW, I haven't really played it since its original release, and I put in nearly 2 hours last night. I just got lost in it. It's really wonderful and one of the few reasons why I don't (really) regret having a SMS back in the day instead of a NES.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I love it, and the changes M2 have made to this version to make it more friendly to modern players make a huge difference (automap, more money, less grinding, ability to run, easy reference to item/spell lists, etc.), and address the most common blockers that have made the original not age so gracefully.

You also have to kind of put yourself in the context of what console RPGs were like in 1988, which is to say they were damn-near nonexistent depending on where you lived. Dragon Warrior I didn't come out in the US until the following year, and Final Fantasy I not until 1990. Compared to those, Phantasy Star almost seems like an early 16-bit title in terms of what it was doing scope-wise and especially graphically. It has 3D scrolling dungeons, big animated enemy sprites, beautiful battle backgrounds (some animated), large cinematic artwork, etc.

FWIW, I haven't really played it since its original release, and I put in nearly 2 hours last night. I just got lost in it. It's really wonderful and one of the few reasons why I don't (really) regret having a SMS back in the day instead of a NES.

It really is a beautiful game. With the fixes/modifications M2 have made, I think it's clearly superior to both DQ1 and FF1. It was close in its original form, honestly. The difficulty and obtuse progression were all that was mitigating its wide appeal in the first place. First person dungeons and big sprites like that... in 1988! It's pretty remarkable.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok you guys got plenty of time to kill today after some sorting and packing so I'm diving right in, this will be the oldest jrpg I've ever played and I'm taking advantage of ages mode. If I enjoy this I'll probably consider continuing to work on the series in the Sega Ages collection. Oldest jrpg I've played is either final fantasy 6 or chronicles trigger so this should be an experience

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
That OT title gave me flashbacks to the Sega Superstars Tennis achievement...

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I see Phantasy Star has a Fast Forward command (and Pause) you can map to a button. You probably wouldn't even know it was there unless you read the online manual thoroughly or went into the controller config. I like that it only speeds up the visuals but doesn't affect the sound in any way from what I can see or rather hear.

Maybe it's just a standard Sega Ages feature, I haven't purchased any of the other games in the lineup.

Madden

Nov 21, 2017
So there's no difference between the JP and Overseas version of Phantasy Star? No updated translation or any other features other than translated manual? Really makes no sense why there was such a delay if otherwise it's exactly the same as the JP release!

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
So there's no difference between the JP and Overseas version of Phantasy Star? No updated translation or any other features other than translated manual? Really makes no sense why there was such a delay if otherwise it's exactly the same as the JP release!

I assume it comes down to ESRB rating stuff. While one would assume the process takes a week or two, they likely don't have final code until close to the JP release. Otherwise, your best guess is as good as mine.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
It's nice to see PS finally arrive out West but man that's some bad timing. A 3 month delay and then released @ the end of the year among all the heavy hitters? That's rough and I'd love to know what happened.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
Believe it or not, Sonic Adventure never had a real HD release (bar modding on PC). The "HD" version on PS360 was actually 480p from what I recall reading, AND it was 4:3 with that purple boarder. It was really weird, and frankly had way over blown lighting, far worse than the GC version. From my experience with the PS3 version, that version had stutters never seen on GC as well.

Edit: DP...
That version of SA1 was actually in HD, it was the 4:3 that was the issue. I have the Xbox version and it generally runs a lot better than my GameCube version, but ultimately I prefer the Dreamcast original still.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see this thread bumped I have to check the OP to see if Virtua Racing has a release date yet

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to see PS finally arrive out West but man that's some bad timing. A 3 month delay and then released @ the end of the year among all the heavy hitters? That's rough and I'd love to know what happened.
Has it really been 3 months? Are we including the first delay that also affected the JP release? Because we already know why that happened.

Anyhoo, gutted Ilala Cave and went over and got the shortcake from Naula cave in the north. Returned to Motavia and and had a nice chat with the Gov'. Was actually able to beat 'Saccubus' but only got 40 exp for the trouble. Left Paseo to go find 'Noah' in Mauru cave. Dungeon 1 never gets old.

Was surprised to find that the automap reveals fake walls as you walk past them in the dungeons (they look dithered unlike the solid black tiles that represent solid walls). The one in Mauru cave took me to another area that had a freaking Red Dragon hiding in one of the corners, I barely managed to survive since I wasn't expecting it and hadn't bothered to heal my party members (the regular monsters weren't much of a threat at this point). Now I'm back on Palma looking for Dr. Luveno.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've been having a great time with Phantasy Star.
Has it really been 3 months? Are we including the first delay that also affected the JP release? Because we already know why that happened.

Anyhoo, gutted Ilala Cave and went over and got the shortcake from Naula cave in the north. Returned to Motavia and and had a nice chat with the Gov'. Was actually able to beat 'Saccubus' but only got 40 exp for the trouble. Left Paseo to go find 'Noah' in Mauru cave. Dungeon 1 never gets old.

Was surprised to find that the automap reveals fake walls as you walk past them in the dungeons (they look dithered unlike the solid black tiles that represent solid walls). The one in Mauru cave took me to another area that had a freaking Red Dragon hiding in one of the corners, I barely managed to survive since I wasn't expecting it and hadn't bothered to heal my party members (the regular monsters weren't much of a threat at this point). Now I'm back on Palma looking for Dr. Luveno.

Are those background panels in the video from a manga adaptation or something? They're really nice.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
http://www.gazetadealgol.com.br/diversos/livros/ps1futabasha/start

It's from the Bouken Game Book series by Futabasha, it's a choose-your-own-adventure type deal. PS1/2/3 all got one, as did many other series including Mario, Zelda, Castlevania, etc.
Oh, cool. Thanks for the info.

This is kinda off topic but since you guys know Phantasy Star maybe you'll know. Do any ports or collections with Phantasy Star 2 include an option to disable the white flashing that happens in battle? I really want to play through the game but last time I tried the flashing bothered my eyes.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, cool. Thanks for the info.

This is kinda off topic but since you guys know Phantasy Star maybe you'll know. Do any ports or collections with Phantasy Star 2 include an option to disable the white flashing that happens in battle? I really want to play through the game but last time I tried the flashing bothered my eyes.
Only the Generations:2 remake does, I figure. There's quite a few hacks for OG PS2 that introduce bug fixes and game system improvements... but nothing that addresses the flashing backgrounds in battle.

For me it was the in-battle sound effects that got on my nerves, they were so grating. Another thing that was never fixed until the remake.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Yeah, this is how I feel about the FM soundtrack. It feels less lively, but smoother. I've played with FM sound for a few hours yesterday and I'm starting to like it a lot. Thanks for your opinions on this!

And yes, the Master System was a beast. You know Sega has this arcade background, so their consoles were always about high technology and power.

Lol... the beginning is brutal. Not spoiling anything, but the first thing you need to do is gather 300 meseta, and as you can see, you're pathetically weak ^_^

As you've guessed, 2 HP bars = 2 monsters, so they'll attack twice. If you're playing classic mode and you're still Level 1, I suggest you start by only fighting sworms (two at the same time is fine if your health is full) and scorpions (only one, not two at the same time). A great tip: buy an iron sword in the neighbor city, Parolit. It's only 75 meseta and it will help a lot against scorpions.
I bought a sword lol I've just been fighting, I'm level 5 now

Thankfully I saved manually before entering the cave, but I guess I need to keep trying to get easier battles and will go for that sword upgrade in the next town first.
I've been fighting inside the square there's a little forest :)

Is Phantasy Star good?
It's been fun for the hour I played I had to consciously set it down :P

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I see Phantasy Star has a Fast Forward command (and Pause) you can map to a button. You probably wouldn't even know it was there unless you read the online manual thoroughly or went into the controller config. I like that it only speeds up the visuals but doesn't affect the sound in any way from what I can see or rather hear.

Maybe it's just a standard Sega Ages feature, I haven't purchased any of the other games in the lineup.

!!!

Thanks for this ^_^

Great comments!

And regarding that secret passage in Maharu, there are two paths you can go. One takes you to a chest with 2000 mesetas, IIRC, and the other path... well, you've already found the dragon ^_^

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I posted this but maybe was in another thread or something but I beat it yesterday morning. Fantastic port and I'm amazed how well PS1 holds up. The ages version should be nice for newcommers although I think it makes a lot of the game to easy but the trade off is that its also a lot less frustrating as well.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but not on a genuine Megadrive since I owned one in what.. maybe 1993? So I assume from your post you're saying the Ages version is emulating it accurately warts and all. I think the last version I played was the XBLA version which didn't have slowdown but probably wasn't accurate.
The AGES Genesis releases do go for accurate emulation, including slowdowns, so yeah most of those will be a recreation of how the game runs on original hardware, for better or worse. However I believe the drop dash option in Sonic 1 adds additional slowdowns in some places somehow, so that's a thing.
Has there been any talk of physical releases for any of these releases?
Not really, but going by their past 3DS series, we could expect them to do a physical collection once they have some more games out.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I thought I posted this but maybe was in another thread or something but I beat it yesterday morning. Fantastic port and I'm amazed how well PS1 holds up. The ages version should be nice for newcommers although I think it makes a lot of the game to easy but the trade off is that its also a lot less frustrating as well.
Sounds great! I've never played a PS game before, how long is the game on ages mode? I'd love to try it and it's the perfect price point.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great! I've never played a PS game before, how long is the game on ages mode? I'd love to try it and it's the perfect price point.
I knew what I was doing so it was about 12ish hours. Only forgot two things so maybe about an hour wandering around not knowing where I should have been going. Will easily take a newcomer longer unless you use a guide.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't take long to find Dr. Luveno, jailed up inside the prison south of Gothic. Before he'll help you though you need to perform a few tasks for him: namely to find his assistant (easy) and later retrieve a robot called Hapsby (not as easy). The latter requires you to search the entire western continent (game calls it an island but... nah): visiting new towns, traversing molten uh, mud... and exploring a new cave the runs underneath a river. There's also Medusa's Tower nearby, but while I'm sure 'Odin' is itching to have a crack at her and would gladly proclaim so if he could talk beyond his introductory sequence, I seem to recall it's still too early to explore that just yet lest we repeat his first mistake. Shame, the only thing better than Dungeon 1 is Dungeon 2 or "Tower":

Note: this is the only track on the OST where I like the PSG version of the song just as much if not more than the FM version:

uff, that energy...

After taking a damaging mud bath, I find Bortevo but apparently need an additional item called Polymetrol or somesuch to do anything here so I pressed on. On the other side of the nearby cave you'll find two more towns: Loar where you can buy Laser Shields (the only shield 'Noah' can equip!) and Myau's final (and only) weapon upgrade; and Abion where you'll find the powerful metal-dissolving liquid called Polymetrol being sold at the local food court (???). Also a mysterious passage that leads to the dwelling of one Dr. Mad. For some reason he wants my kitty but he freaks out when told no and starts shooting missiles from his chest. Boss fight! You get another Laconian Pot for the trouble. Back in Bortevo if you use the Polymetrol in the right dwelling (it's... kinda obvious if you look at the hut graphics) you'll finally find Hapsby the Robotic Operating Buddy.

Back in Gothic I hand over Hapsby and Luveno says the ship he was building is ready. Wait, why do I need my own ship again? Well, the spaceport only charters flight between Motavia and Palma, so if you want to explore Dezoris you're gonna need your own wings. Also I seem to recall you eventually lose access to the spaceport so it'll become your only means of getting to Motavia too. And at this point the game kinda opens up, allowing you to go anywhere you want and kinda accomplish your tasks rather haphazardly. Pick a destination and gooooooo....

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just beat it. Thank you to poster who mentioned that there's a fast forward button. Weird that they don't make that clear in the menu.

It was great, I had such a good time. I didn't remember the english text being that bad, haha. But I ended up exploring every planet in order as thoroughly as I could and as a result -to my surprise- I didn't have to look at a FAQ to figure out where to go, it was pretty straightforward. A world map option would have been a welcome addition though.

But M2 really went above and beyond, this is such a perfect way to revisit that game in 2018.
Now, I'm gonna do some googling about the lore and what might have been lost in translation and then I'll go back to complete the bestiary. Right now it's at 87%.