• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Lots of collision issues that never existed before and more slowdown than on Genny. It's only slightly alleviated by turning off drop dash.
So there is new slowdown? I've noticed it ever since I bought it, but couldn't remember if it was there before or if it was placebo from having been used to Mania's locked framerate.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of collision issues that never existed before and more slowdown than on Genny. It's only slightly alleviated by turning off drop dash.
I haven't really encountered any of that on my playthrough, but I'm no Sonic expert. All I've seen mentioned are occasional issues with the hacked in spin/dropdash being weird sometimes (like when done right next to powerup/ring monitors), is there really additional unavoidable slowdown?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really encountered any of that on my playthrough, but I'm no Sonic expert. All I've seen mentioned are occasional issues with the hacked in spin/dropdash being weird sometimes (like when done right next to powerup/ring monitors), is there really additional unavoidable slowdown?

Yeah, it's nothing major tho. I'm just calling attention to what should have been a safe bet port for the "M2 gods."

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Holy shit! I remember playing it on the arcade back in, uhhh, spring 1993 I think, and was so blown away by it! Never played it since, so it will be interesting to return to it!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I have the saturn version, so I'm in

This is interesting

Glad a ton of my wants /faves made the wishlist(panzer dragoon saga, burning rangers, die hard arcade, etc) hopefully this means the svwntual(and likely) wave 2 will focus on saturn and dreamcast, but time will tell

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any discussion of any of these Sega Ages releases coming to any other consoles? I had initially thought they were all going to be genesis games, but if we're talking about that list, it would be a shame to make them exclusive to any console. I've been waiting for ports of some of those games absolutely forever (and would buy VR in a heartbeat)

Not trying to port beg, legit asking if Sega is making the SEGA Ages line switch exclusives.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
SEGA Ages Sonic 2 was also announed but since everyone expected that =P

Also they showed the results from the twitter poll

jW5PfAM.png

translation from someone in the chat :

1- Jet Set Radio Series
2 - Shenmue 1 & 2
3- Panzer Dragoon Saga
4- Virtua Fighter
5 - Shining series
6- Panzer Dragoon Series
7- Sakura wars
8- puyo series
9- Virtual on
10 - Burning Rangers
11- skies of Arcadia
12- NiGHTS
13- Golden Axe
14 - Bug King Series (?)
15 - Phantasy Star Online
16- Space Channel 5
17 - Outrunners
18 - Sonic Adventure series
19- DAYTONA USA
20- SPikeout
21- Dynamite Deka series
22 - Sonic 3&K
23- Virtua Racing
24- Fantasy Zone
25 - Dragon Force
26 - Sega Rally
27- Phantasy Star series
28 - Guardian Heroes
29 - Outrun 2 SP
30 - Wing War (?)
Solid results!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I have the saturn version, so I'm in

This is interesting

Glad a ton of my wants /faves made the wishlist(panzer dragoon saga, burning rangers, die hard arcade, etc) hopefully this means the svwntual(and likely) wave 2 will focus on saturn and dreamcast, but time will tell
I think Wave 2 may start with some early Model 2 and Saturn games in it (VF2, Panzer 1, etc), but I don't expect much. M2 can only do so much and the producers are more retro minded I think, I expect they'll cover a lot more late 80s and early 90s ground first and I expect a lot of the 3D Classics getting recycled beforehand (Shinobi III, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 1-2, Turbo Outrun, Fantasy Zone 1-2DX, AfterBurner II, Galaxy Force II, Power Drift, Puyo Puyo Tsu, etc).

For Saturn, DC, Model 2/3 to really be viable more generally the project may have to grow beyond just M2 doing it. Sega Studio China's gone now though and they were usually the go to for this stuff last gen (NiGHTS, Dreamcast Classics, etc).

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a port of the arcade or any of the newer versions with more cars and tracks?

Chances of a Sega Rally port just got marginally higher.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Is this a port of the arcade or any of the newer versions with more cars and tracks?

Chances of a Sega Rally port just got marginally higher.
Arcade version but one of the screens shows a PS2 car. Knowing M2 I wouldn't be surprised if they back port all the 32X and PS2 content into it with "Model 1 limitations" in mind. Saturn content might be tougher since Time Warner was involved there.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Sweet. Still love playing this every now and then on my 32X and Saturn...actually had a period recently where I was playing it every day for a while.

Will get this. Also hoping for more Model 1 games. Would be great to finally get a perfect port of Virtua Fighter.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arcade version but one of the screens shows a PS2 car. Knowing M2 I wouldn't be surprised if they back port all the 32X and PS2 content into it with "Model 1 limitations" in mind. Saturn content might be tougher since Time Warner was involved there.

Ah, not sure what the Saturn version had that the others didn't. As far as I'm aware the 32x version is the most complete with two extra courses and three different types of cars? The PS2 one had extra courses but only variations of the one F1 car?

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Ah, not sure what the Saturn version had that the others didn't. As far as I'm aware the 32x version is the most complete with two extra courses and three different types of cars? The PS2 one had extra courses but only variations of the one F1 car?
The Saturn version has seven new tracks and four new cars, as well as an exclusive Grand Prix Mode.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Model 1/2 is probably the most timeless of early 3D. Will definitely check it out. I remember my friend spending like $90 on the Genesis version of this.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SEGA Ages Sonic 2 was also announed but since everyone expected that =P

Also they showed the results from the twitter poll

jW5PfAM.png

translation from someone in the chat :

1- Jet Set Radio Series
2 - Shenmue 1 & 2
3- Panzer Dragoon Saga
4- Virtua Fighter
5 - Shining series
6- Panzer Dragoon Series
7- Sakura wars
8- puyo series
9- Virtual on
10 - Burning Rangers
11- skies of Arcadia
12- NiGHTS
13- Golden Axe
14 - Bug King Series (?)
15 - Phantasy Star Online
16- Space Channel 5
17 - Outrunners
18 - Sonic Adventure series
19- DAYTONA USA
20- SPikeout
21- Dynamite Deka series
22 - Sonic 3&K
23- Virtua Racing
24- Fantasy Zone
25 - Dragon Force
26 - Sega Rally
27- Phantasy Star series
28 - Guardian Heroes
29 - Outrun 2 SP
30 - Wing War (?)

Man the absent of Alien Solder, Gunstar Heroes and Pulseman really hurts. Those are the three games I want the most. :(

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any discussion of any of these Sega Ages releases coming to any other consoles? I had initially thought they were all going to be genesis games, but if we're talking about that list, it would be a shame to make them exclusive to any console. I've been waiting for ports of some of those games absolutely forever (and would buy VR in a heartbeat)

Not trying to port beg, legit asking if Sega is making the SEGA Ages line switch exclusives.
I think they are a small studio. They probably just dont have the ability to be working on multiple hardware. If they did work on more devices, it may take them even longer to receive games than what we are getting now.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Man the absent of Alien Solder, Gunstar Heroes and Pulseman really hurts. Those are the three games I want the most. :(

The lack of Mega Drive only games and how low is Sonic 3 would make me guess that it was more of a "ok mega drive games have more chance already so lets vote for the weird ones"

and by weird I mean games SEGA didn't ported a lot in those colections

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, well that would make that the definitive version then. What exactly was Warners involvement in that? Development or just publishing, guessing the former but you never know.
But, are the seven new tracks from the Saturn version including the three new tracks of the 32x edition? I am looking around online, but am not seeing any explanation yet. A definitive version could be a combination of the Saturn and 32x edition. Here are the credits from the two versions.

Saturn
saturn6ic6g.png

32X
32x8zfgm.png

32x2awd8d.png

The lack of Mega Drive only games and how low is Sonic 3 would make me guess that it was more of a "ok mega drive games have more chance already so lets vote for the weird ones"

and by weird I mean games SEGA didn't ported a lot in those colections
I wonder what Sega's take on the Alien franchise would be. They have the game licenses (do they still?). Alien 3 (Genesis) or Alien 3 The Gun (Arcade) would be interesting.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
But, are the seven new tracks from the Saturn version including the three new tracks of the 32x edition? I am looking around online, but am not seeing any explanation yet. A definitive version could be a combination of the Saturn and 32x edition. Here are the credits from the two versions.

Saturn
saturn6ic6g.png

32X
32x8zfgm.png

32x2awd8d.png

I wonder what Sega's take on the Alien franchise would be. They have the game licenses (do they still?). Alien 3 (Genesis) or Alien 3 The Gun (Arcade) would be interesting.
The 32X and Saturn tracks are completely different aside from the three arcade ones.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I read up a bit on it and it seems like the Saturn version didn't include the arcade or the 32x tracks. Or renamed them.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
With no analog trigger.... err... it will feel as weird as on the Megadrive....
but i'm in :3
I wish we could choose the higher detailed PS2 Sega Ages models (flatout), but it will do for authenticity.
Look at the wheels of that version, or the hands of the pilot... :
vlcsnap-2018-09-22-09dxcfo.png

This is how you think you remember it looked like, not how it really looked like, and it would be a nice option.

Left analogue for steering, left and right triggers for the up/down gear shift flippers, up/down on the right analogue for accelerate/brake. A few racing games have offered similar control schemes in the past, works OK.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
resolution's pretty irrelevant. there was already going to be an attempt, but without the source code, emulating it was too costly on the hardware
Resolution in a 3D game like Virtua Racing is very important. A resolution of 496x384 in 1992 was one of the reasons why the game stood out so much. In fact, one of the reasons a lot of 3DS games drive me nuts is, in fact, the terrible, terrible, SUB-PSP res.

In some ways the 3DS is simply not up to the task of recreating certain classics.

A true port of VR on 3DS is simply impossible.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Left analogue for steering, left and right triggers for the up/down gear shift flippers, up/down on the right analogue for accelerate/brake. A few racing games have offered similar control schemes in the past, works OK.

I have a really bad memories from Gran Turismo right stick analog acceleration/braking, but... beggars can't be choosers, and i wanted that port (i mean the M2 take on Virtua Racing) ;)

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
OMG
THIS IS THE GAME

BACK WHEN I WAS A KID I HAD A DEMO FOR MY SEGA GENESIS, THIS WAS ONE OF THE GAMES ON IT. I NEVER REMEMBERED THE NAME AND NEVER SAW IT IN ANY MEDIA SINCE

AFTER ALL THESE YEARS
Must be great to finally find the game you loved after all these years. I had the same thing with Magical Drop. There is something about finding an old game from our childhood that we had no idea what its name was.

Didn't we have a thread for this exact purpose? Someone would describe a game from what they remember of it and everyone's trying to help them find the game's name.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Must be great to finally find the game you loved after all these years. I had the same thing with Magical Drop. There is something about finding an old game from our childhood that we had no idea what its name was.

Didn't we have a thread for this exact purpose? Someone would describe a game from what they remember of it and everyone's trying to help them find the game's name.
Games you remember, names you don't ;)

And yeah, labo support would be good for kids, however VR is still a fast paced game, i hope the cardboard and assembly are robust xD

Oct 29, 2017
They could add support for GCN controllers; they have analog triggers!

They could also support the Labo steering wheel... M2 did say that they were interested in Labo support...

I also wouldn't expect anything from the Saturn version, or any acknowledgment of its existence. The original VR staff had absolutely nothing to do with it at all, it was produced entirely independently by Time Warner Interactive, with basically no input from SEGA.

I'd expect content from the 32X version to make the cut though! That actually was produced by the original VR staff!

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
resolution's pretty irrelevant. there was already going to be an attempt, but without the source code, emulating it was too costly on the hardware
How is resolution irrelevant when talking about an arcade perfect port? If it's not offering the same graphical fidelity, it's not perfect. The question wasn't whether a port could have been done, but whether it would have been an arcade perfect port. It wouldn't have been. Totally relevant.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Would 3DS even have been able to do a perfect arcade port in 3D?
Technically, no, impossible - because the 3DS has a lower resolution than the arcade game.
Sapiens is correct. A pixel-perfect version would be impossible on 3DS, if only because of a significant difference in resolution between 3DS and Sega's MODEL 1 arcade hardware.

Sega MODEL 1: https://segaretro.org/Sega_Model_1
Display resolution: 496×384 pixels, 24 kHz H‑Sync, progressive scan (non‑interlaced)

3DS resolution is (800)400×240 pixels.

Edit:
How is resolution irrelevant when talking about an arcade perfect port? If it's not offering the same graphical fidelity, it's not perfect. The question wasn't whether a port could have been done, but whether it would have been an arcade perfect port. It wouldn't have been. Totally relevant.

Yeah, duckroll, absolutely. As you understand, it really a simple fact, not an opinion It can either be a (potentially) pixel perfect port, or it can't, because there's no getting around 3DS' resolution. You're right, it is indeed completely relevant.

Edit: Also it is completely obvious why Gain Ground (System 24 Hardware) is coming to Switch and never came to 3DS.
Among other things, the display resolution. This was Sega's first arcade board that required a 'medium resolution' arcade monitor. And while System 24 (1988) is like 4 years older than MODEL 1 (1992), the System 24 uses a lot of small sprites and (relatively) high resolution compared to the System 16 (and Super-Scalar) family of hardware.

https://segaretro.org/Sega_System_24
Resolution: 496×384 (display), 656×424 (overscan), progressive scan

Last edited:

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Sega Ages should have a sub-category called "Yu Suzuki's Classics". A lot of his games are likely to be on the switch

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it includes the content from the 32X version, my personal fave, like additional cars and tracks. I assume two player mode as well but if it's a straight port of the arcade then maybe that won't make it in.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I think they are a small studio. They probably just dont have the ability to be working on multiple hardware. If they did work on more devices, it may take them even longer to receive games than what we are getting now.

Yeah I mean it would be up to sega to allocate the resources. Just not clear why sega would be doing genesis collections multiplatform but ports of lesser known arcade games would be platform exclusive. Oh well, guess we'll see how it evolves.