• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
You think is possible to see Sega Rally 2 as part of Sega Ages titles?

It's worth remembering that Virtua Racing is pretty much the only Sega arcade racer from the 90's/00's that doesn't have one or more licences attached.

Toyota have been incredibly awkward about licensing their cars recently and both Sega Rally games feature their cars so I'd say it's very unlikely we'll be seeing either of those.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It's worth remembering that Virtua Racing is pretty much the only Sega arcade racer from the 90's/00's that doesn't have one or more licences attached.

Toyota have been incredibly awkward about licensing their cars recently and both Sega Rally games feature their cars so I'd say it's very unlikely we'll be seeing either of those.
Oh ok thanks, yeah forgot about licenses, really complicates old re-releases.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
JGR has already been ported to modern systems, doing another port by another studio would be redundant. JSRF, however, could still use a port.
That didn't stop Sonic though.

There's the Sega Genesis Ultimate Collection, the Christian Whitehead port, and then M2's AGES collection and 3D Classics collection.

JSR with 60fps by M2 would be a real godsend.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't simply that they didn't have the code, it's also that they were coming to it late in the 3DS' life and it became apparent that they weren't going to be able to justify finishing it.

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the wrong game, but in my head I was hearing this to the tune of Daytona's "Rolling Staaaaaaaaart". It works quite well.
Lol! Yeah I'm floored by all of these great games coming out. I think what's awesome is my kids will get to experience the arcade I grew up with on a handheld a fraction of the size!

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017

Oh man this is heart breaking. I want Sega Rally on a handheld so much.

I wish Sega had expanded 3D classics to their early 3D era titles. This would have looked amazing with 3D. Hopefully this means Daytona is around the corner.

I will keep hoping Nintendo makes another 3D handheld (either a succesor of Switch or 3DS) in the future. Can you imagine a Nintendo handheld with a 720p (or higher) 3D display? *Drool*

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ohh this is a absolute must buy for me.

I always wanted the mega drive version as a kid but it was so friggin expensive here in Germany....

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Sega Studios China? I thought they closed sone years ago?

I don't know if it still exists by name but Sega Shanghai's R&D division is run by the same people and is basically the continuation of that studio.

I remember hearing those guys had a lot of trouble with headhunters and it hampered a lot of their plans because they were constantly losing valuable personnel and were in a constant flux of having to train newbies.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still over the moon regarding this news. Not only because I like Virtua Racing, but also because it could open the door to so may wonderful things for my Switch.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The studio behind the recent ports of SA1&2 and most of the other Dreamcast ports is the same one that did Dynamite Deka & Nights for Sega Ages 2500, and if anyone gets tapped for those games it'll probably be them.

I know they invited all sorts of requests by saying nothing's off the table but a lot of peoples' dreams are not going to be realized via Sega Ages--many of the heavily-requested games are too complicated and too niche to ever recoup the expense of porting them as part of a budget series that plays in a $10 price bracket.
If they ever do SA1 again it needs to be a ground-up port, not the current Frankenstein version that's on Steam.

No wonder that game has such a bad reputation, every modern version has dropped graphical features and introduced even more bugs over time. The Dreamcast version is literally the best version to play.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SEGA Ages Sonic 2 was also announed but since everyone expected that =P

Also they showed the results from the twitter poll

jW5PfAM.png

translation from someone in the chat :

1- Jet Set Radio Series
2 - Shenmue 1 & 2
3- Panzer Dragoon Saga
4- Virtua Fighter
5 - Shining series
6- Panzer Dragoon Series
7- Sakura wars
8- puyo series
9- Virtual on
10 - Burning Rangers
11- skies of Arcadia
12- NiGHTS
13- Golden Axe
14 - Bug King Series (?)
15 - Phantasy Star Online
16- Space Channel 5
17 - Outrunners
18 - Sonic Adventure series
19- DAYTONA USA
20- SPikeout
21- Dynamite Deka series
22 - Sonic 3&K
23- Virtua Racing
24- Fantasy Zone
25 - Dragon Force
26 - Sega Rally
27- Phantasy Star series
28 - Guardian Heroes
29 - Outrun 2 SP
30 - Wing War (?)
Eh...

These results kind of suck considering which already have modern ports and which don't.

I want Panzer Dragoon games, Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, etc

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
If they ever do SA1 again it needs to be a ground-up port, not the current Frankenstein version that's on Steam.

No wonder that game has such a bad reputation, every modern version has dropped graphical features and introduced even more bugs over time. The Dreamcast version is literally the best version to play.

I agree, but that doesn't mean it's what we'll get, if at all. I'll be happy to be proven wrong but I really think games beyond a certain level of complexity probably aren't happening.

Oct 27, 2017
United States

jW5PfAM.png

1- Jet Set Radio Series
2 - Shenmue 1 & 2
3- Panzer Dragoon Saga
4- Virtua Fighter
5 - Shining series
6- Panzer Dragoon Series
7- Sakura wars
8- puyo series
9- Virtual on
10 - Burning Rangers
11- skies of Arcadia
12- NiGHTS
13- Golden Axe
14 - Bug King Series (?)
16- Space Channel 5
17 - Outrunners
19- DAYTONA USA
20- SPikeout
21- Dynamite Deka series
22 - Sonic 3&K
23- Virtua Racing
24- Fantasy Zone
25 - Dragon Force
26 - Sega Rally
27- Phantasy Star series
28 - Guardian Heroes
29 - Outrun 2 SP
30 - Wing War (?)
Damn. That's a good list of games. I want them all.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I never got into virtua racing in the arcade or on any of the home versions, but I absolutely LOVE all the m2 ports, so I'm super hyped for this!

Currently have a bunch of other stuff to play, so don't need to snag the j version, but I'll be day one when it releases in english.

Oct 26, 2017

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I'll have impressions soon enough. Work got me distracted

Make sure to follow these instructions to create an account and link it to the japanese eshop https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...buy-switch-games-from-the-japanese-eshop-4548

You can buy Credit off play-asia . Cost $12.95 for the points needed for the game (999 yen)
Thanks. I already had a JP account.
Some other ERA member recommended buying on SEAGM, which is a bit cheaper than Play Asia.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017

jW5PfAM.png

1- Jet Set Radio Series
2 - Shenmue 1 & 2
3- Panzer Dragoon Saga
4- Virtua Fighter
5 - Shining series
6- Panzer Dragoon Series
7- Sakura wars
8- puyo series
9- Virtual on
10 - Burning Rangers
11- skies of Arcadia
12- NiGHTS
13- Golden Axe
14 - Bug King Series (?)
16- Space Channel 5
17 - Outrunners
19- DAYTONA USA
20- SPikeout
21- Dynamite Deka series
22 - Sonic 3&K
23- Virtua Racing
24- Fantasy Zone
25 - Dragon Force
26 - Sega Rally
27- Phantasy Star series
28 - Guardian Heroes
29 - Outrun 2 SP
30 - Wing War (?)

Wait...is dynamite deka, dynamite cop????

Please say yes. Would kill to have this on Switch.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Pity its only the arcade tracks, but 60FPS looks so damn nice. Totally buying this when I get home. And I still got more Outrun and Phantasy Star to play. These M2 releases have been amazing so far, so darn good.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is it out now? Yay. I got my JP eshop bucks setup last night for it.

Oct 29, 2017
60FPS is awesome!

Hope we also get a 30FPS mode (and also an option for the original rendering resolution) as well to make it accurate to the arcade original. Would be so cool to have a perfectly accurate Model 1 arcade experience too!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea of a Western release date? I might grab it from the JP eShop but just checking in case it's any time soon...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
60FPS is awesome!

Hope we also get a 30FPS mode (and also an option for the original rendering resolution) as well to make it accurate to the arcade original. Would be so cool to have a perfectly accurate Model 1 arcade experience too!
Outrun let you unlock the 30FPS mode as a bonus mode, I can see VR having the same as well.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Everything seems so much brighter compared to my experience with the 32X version.

Music is different too, but I expected that.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Any idea of a Western release date? I might grab it from the JP eShop but just checking in case it's any time soon...
The most recent AGES releases took many months to come to the West.
You're better off just buying the JP release now, and download (for free) the Western version whenever it releases.