• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
What are you guys talking about? The Japanese versions of Sega AGES games are fully in English and the only difference in the western release is probably the game icon for certain games (Thunderforce 4 vs Lightning Force).

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, normally when a game has the same SKU across all the 3 regions, you can download in a different region if you already bought it in one region.
Yeah I knew about the NES app, but didn't think it worked for others. Might as well go download the NA copy of Outrun because I got impatient there too.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
This is so good. Been waiting for this for a while so finally getting to play it is great.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just had a quick race and it feels great. Lovely 60fps so I wonder if you'll unlock the original 30fps mode after completing all tracks. The collisions are so much better than the PS2 port :D Looks stunning, very vivid.

Mar 27, 2019
What's the easiest way to get a JPN region points code? I have a JPN account on my switch just not sure how to acquire or load points onto it.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
They removed almost all of the pop up and is 60fps.

Fantastic port. I wish it included the 32x tracks and cars.

Mar 27, 2019
Thanks for the code suggestions. Has anyone tried a credit card on the switch eshop using a credit card with no foreign transaction fees?

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
This is especially useful on the NES Online app, because you can download the Famicom versions of the NES games. Some of the games have a better soundtrack (Zelda 2, Kid Icarus, Metroid) and the Japanese app has more games.

It's out now!

You're sure about this? The NES app is one thing, as those games are free to anyone with a subscription. So of course you can download different regions of that with no cost. But actual games in a different region being free when they hit the US? 1st I'm hearing about that and was curious if anyone else can confirm.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're sure about this? The NES app is one thing, as those games are free to anyone with a subscription. So of course you can download different regions of that with no cost. But actual games in a different region being free when they hit the US? 1st I'm hearing about that and was curious if anyone else can confirm.
I've noticed games I own appear greyed out in other stores, but only the one I bought them from lets me download them, even if I delete it from the system.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else feel like the colors are off? I've played lots of VR on an original cab and it has strong primary colors. The Switch version is more pastel - the default car is pinkish red instead of a deep red. It's odd.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
They should really add lan multi-player, like Daytona USA on PS3.
It would be much better to connect multiple Switches locally instead of 8 players on the same console.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Here's a tip: In the Settings menu - Controls, change the Steering Mode from Normal to Arcade.
The default Normal steering is digital, for some reason. Arcade is analog steering.
You notice it especially on cockpit view.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want to play an old racer. On my Japanese eshop right now. Outrun or this game?

Siggy

Dec 12, 2017
Just found this on the Twitters. Some exclusive footage of super early Virtua Racing from a German documentary on 90s SEGA. Pretty cool:

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Anyone else feel like the colors are off? I've played lots of VR on an original cab and it has strong primary colors. The Switch version is more pastel - the default car is pinkish red instead of a deep red. It's odd.

Comparing the above video in Robin64's post to this one it appears you're correct. Seems intentional, as the text on the flags and the drivers gloves in first person view are still bright red but the car itself is pink. If it were an emulation issue, the colour shift would be universal so I guess it's an intentional change to give the game a more natural, sun-lit colour pallet. I like it but I have no nostalgia for the original. I can see why those hoping for arcade perfection would be off-put by it.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017

They're definitely off, far too bright.

It seems like a replica of the Model 2 emulator bug; many years ago the games on that emulator ran without acknowledging certain colour values, and games like Daytona appeared washed out as a result. Apparently those colours were stored in a different way. Iirc, this same procedure applied to Model 1 as well, in many ways Model 2 works the same since Model 1 was going to be just an internal prototype, but they decided to test it on the market.

I remember this because it took ElSemi (the coder of the emulator) a long while to figure it out (he had to code Trojans to get the data out)and while he didn't share sources he told MAMEdev what was going on and fixes were implemented (and he was given a special thanks) and they were for Model 1 and 2. I'm fairly sure of this, but it happened like ten years ago or more. And I remember him talking about it in my forum (he's Spanish like me), which doesn't exist now :(

Or maybe it's an aesthetic preference. Apparently M2 had the source code and this isn't emulation.

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
They're definitely off, far too bright.

It seems like a replica of the Model 2 emulator bug; many years ago the games on that emulator ran without acknowledging certain colour values, and games like Daytona appeared washed out as a result. Apparently those colours were stored in a different way. Iirc, this same procedure applied to Model 1 as well, in many ways Model 2 works the same since Model 1 was going to be just an internal prototype, but they decided to test it on the market.

I remember this because it took ElSemi (the coder of the emulator) a long while to figure it out (he had to code Trojans to get the data out)and while he didn't share sources he told MAMEdev what was going on and fixes were implemented (and he was given a special thanks) and they were for Model 1 and 2. I'm fairly sure of this, but it happened like ten years ago or more. And I remember him talking about it in my forum (he's Spanish like me), which doesn't exist now :(

Or maybe it's an aesthetic preference. Apparently M2 had the source code and this isn't emulation.
Yeah, that's the thing. M2 has the source and they are known for getting the details down perfectly. So it seems intentional.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a tip: In the Settings menu - Controls, change the Steering Mode from Normal to Arcade.
The default Normal steering is digital, for some reason. Arcade is analog steering.
You notice it especially on cockpit view.
I wonder if Normal steering is meant to replicate previous home console ports?

Man, April has really been a Month of Great Nintendo Switch Ports™, and it seems it will continue all the way to June...

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the car being a pinkish red and the bridge on the beginner stage being a bright orange is a bit jarring. I don't remember the green hills being that bright either.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the car being a pinkish red and the bridge on the beginner stage being a bright orange is a bit jarring. I don't remember the green hills being that bright either.
Siliconera translated Game Watch's article about how Virtual Racing's source code almost became lost, if not for Reiko Kodama asking around...

Apparently somebody had the Virtual Formula version of Virtual Racing, and reverese-engineered to code from there (as well as re-implement the multiplayer aspects too). Could it be this version of the code had a slight palette change?