• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Release Date:

Japan: November 27, 1998

North America: September 9, 1999

Europe: October 14, 1999

Australia: November 30, 1999

Features:

-4 controller ports for awesome multiplayer action.

-The VMU, the Dreamcast's official memory card equipped with a screen, D-pad and buttons.

-Outputs a outstanding resolution and beautiful image quality for its time when equipped with a VGA box. (640x480)

-Contains massive doses of hype, its just all over it. Just look how fucking beautiful the thing is.

-Uses GD-ROM format for its game discs, these can contain up to 1.2Gb and these are a unique kind of disc that are only usable on a Dreamcast.

-Loads of arcade-ish awesome games, many games running at 60FPS.

-Shenmue

Why should I emulate?

-Pretty much for the same reasons you would emulate any other console: making it look better on nowadays HDTVs and monitors with upgraded internal resolutions.

-Play these games with a better controller, while I love the controller itself, a 360 controller will just be so much better.

-One day your dear Dreamcast won't work anymore, finding replacements will be more than a hassle and it won't cost just a few dollars.

Best emulator available at the moment:

NullDC (Click here to download the lastest version.)

I'd like to add that it is a shame that, since its an open source project, it doesn't get any more work done on it. Well, maybe one day we'll get to have a better version. :)

So if I want to go into the emulation scene, how do I rip my games?

Since the Dreamcast have its unique kind of disc format, you have to rip your own games with the console itself, just like only the Wii can rip Wii/GC games. Except this time, there's not even some rare brands of PC disc drives that can read those, only the Dreamcast.

There are only two ways to rip your DC games:

Using a broadband adapter and transfer the disc's data to your computer via internet. You don't want to use the default line connection, it'll go at 40k/sec and it'll make your Dreamcast work for way too long (24h a game compared to 20 minutes with the BBA.).

-You'll have to use a program httpd-ack (Click here to download) and burn the CDI file on a CD-ROM

-You'll need an official (or burned CD) version a DC Web Browser to configure your DC's static IP. XDP recommended, this is the one I used and I didn't had any problems.

-You'll need CDMage as well to verify if your 'track 1' data from each games are correct. (Click here to download)

Click here for the complete tutorial for the Broadband adapter method.

You will also be able to get the DC_BOOT and DC_FLASH files you need to run NullDC with the BBA method. These are available to take from your console each time you're ripping a game.

There is also the SD card ripping method, with which you will need an SD card adapter that will go in the back of the dreamcast. You can easily find those on Ebay for 10 times cheaper than the BBA.

(Thanks to darcagn from the Dumpcast forum who made a tutorial you can find here.)

Pro tips:

-When you start your Dreamcast and then hear an intense and loud 'BEEEEEEP' sound, you gotta change your VMU's battery.

I do not support piracy, every game pictures I'll be showing come from games in my personal collection. Piracy talk won't be tolerated.

Here's a little Dreamcast HD tribute, for those who don't know what to expect out of this little gem.

www.youtube.com

DREAMCAST HD TRIBUTE Longplay Version (PART 1 & 2)

HIGHER VIDEO QUALITY VERSION OF THIS VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8q9yB68PpAThis is a video compilation of some of the best Sega Dreamcast games pr...

Other Retro-ERA threads

Nintendo 64 |OT| Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Nintendo Gamecube |OT| Appreciation and Collecting Thread

Sega Saturn |OT| Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Sony Playstation (PS1) |OT| Appreciation Thread - Worse Image Quality than your Kid's First Drawing

PS2 Appreciation Thread | The Greatest Sequel Ever Made

Game Boy / Color / Advance Collecting |OT| Now you're playing with power; PORTABLE POWER!

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive |OT| Blast Processing with the GOAT

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

RetroEra IOTI 40 years of Classic Backlog

The Ripping Thread |OT| How to build your own legitimate ROM library

Share the love, ERA! :D

EDIT: I got my thread locked and got my thread priviledges removed after making this thread exposing ERA's new owner.

www.resetera.com

I believe there is a conversation to be had about ERA new owners and affiliations details.

Hey all, Most of you are probably aware, thanks to the warning up there, that ERA is no longer owned by a solo member of the community and was sold for 4.5M$ to MOBA Network by Cerium. Which, understandably after this deed, seemingly ran off with the money to never return again, for obvious...

It was fun while it lasted, but I'm not supporting this place anymore.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For me the best console ever. Nothing came even close to this.

Just think about all the good games like crazy taxi, virtua tennis, cvs2 and code Veronica.

Also headhunter was an underrated gem.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
my dude seik <3

still so much love for sega's last & possibly finest entry - i'm starting to finally accept that the Segagaga fan translation effort might truly be dead

still holding out hope i land a copy of Yu Suzuki Gameworks one day though

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I have some fond memories of the Dreamcast. I got one really late in the lifespan, Sonic Adventure 2 was a few months old, within a month the Dreamcast was declared dead. At first I was bummed out, no new games. What I didn't realize was how ridiculously cheap games got, and over the next year I played pretty much all the big names. A bit later me and my friend discovered we could burn ISOs to CD-Rs and the real fun began as we discovered tons of weird Japanese imports and some oddball games like REZ. I didn't know a single other person who owned a Dreamcast, it was like my own little treasure. I loved that thing. A few years later I sold it so I could get a Nintendo DS. Whoops.

Umgawa

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Seik for your hard work!

Great to have this thread back!
Will post tomorrow my latest pick ups.

Oct 27, 2017
A Cave
Getting in on the ground floor on this thread

I absolutely adore the Dreamcast, It was the 1st console that was 'mine' and I loved every second of it, I was 11 at the time i got it for Christmas '99 and I still clearly remember playing Sonic Adventure on that Christmas morning and getting stuck because I completely missed/didn't understand how to use the Wind Stone early on and couldn't get into Windy Valley, only to switch over to Tails story and instantly figure it out.

Still got that original (slightly yellowed) Dreamcast on the shelf, hooked up and ready to play, it's had many open heart surgeries to fix it's resetting problem but it's still going strong, along with all the original games I got for it and the mountain of DC magazines + demo disks I got.

Currently in the process of finally getting one of the Beharbros boxes and upgrading to VGA/HDMI, just figuring out which one is most useful for me and what other extra stuff I may need, if anyone has any experience let me know.

Oh and shout outs to Headhunter and Toy Commander, 2 of my favourite DC games that don't come up that often.

Oct 27, 2017
Have had my CRT TATE-ed for the past few weeks as I put some time into Under Defeat, Trizeal, and others. I kinda want to play some fighters now but been too lazy to turn it back.

Spaceking

Oct 27, 2017
Phantasy Star Online Ver.2 was my first online game ever. I loved the Christmas and new year themes.

everwake

Oct 27, 2017
The first console I ever got hyped about. I think I mowed most of southwest Ohio earning the money to buy this thing. I still have my original console but the laser has gotten so lazy I need to adjust the pentiometer nearly every time I play a new game. Also, my VMUs seem to be churning through watch batteries now, but I'm not really sure why.

As much as I'd like to keep gaming with my little guy, I think I'm going to start turning to emulation out of pure convenience factor.

sd_falter

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Having spent alot of time in the late 90s in various arcades, the Dreamcast was my ideal for a console in that period. So many perfect or near perfect ports.

After it tanked, I picked up about 4 consoles at various pawn shops for super cheap, just always wanted to make sure I still had one around.

Gotta recommend the mmmonkey tutorials for helping me keep them in working order. Lots of cool mods you can do like internal VGA, replace PSU to permanently fix the reset issue etc.

NiSEi

User requested self-ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Dreamcast is amazing, it has so many great original games. Unfortunately most of these types of games don't get made anymore.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is NullDC really the best right now? I had the impression that Reicast or DEmul were the preferred options these days.

Actually, it's been a while since I played around DC emulators. During the last years I focused on Dolphin and Cemu.

I'd be interested to have a confirmation though, would be glad to know and I'd update my thread at the same time.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
played some D2 today for halloween...hooo doggie is that a completely different game the first!

also, i still gotta sort out a raspberry pi for online DC use sometime

nomemorial

Oct 27, 2017
I have such fantastic memories of this console. My parents got me one for my birthday maybe a year or so after release and between Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, and MvC2, I was in heaven. Fast forward to PSO and I seriously couldn't get enough - that game changed my young life, so unlike anything I had played up until that point and I was obsessed for years between the DC and Xbox releases of it.

So many hidden gems on this console, many that I'd argue were drastically underrated. Cannon Spike, Bangai-O, Power Stone, Time Stalkers, Record of Lodoss War, the list goes on. What a fantastic console and it's such a shame that it died out so quickly in the US.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Is there any way to force 240p on Dreamcast games? I know a select few have it built in (Street Fighter 3), but a lot are 480p minimum. Would make a huge difference when it comes to my CRT/OSSC setup.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Thanks for the thread. This might be a project I might be taking this year. My Dreamcast is probably on its last legs and I rather have better image quality, resolution than having to deal with ways to make my Dreamcast work with my HDTV.

Shadow Hog

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way to force 240p on Dreamcast games? I know a select few have it built in (Street Fighter 3), but a lot are 480p minimum. Would make a huge difference when it comes to my CRT/OSSC setup.
480i. 480p would've been unplayable on most TVs of the era, where 480i CRTs were the norm.

zasx

Oct 27, 2017
Back in 99 i think i carried a Dreamcast booklet with game pictures everywhere pestering my father that it would be awesome to get one for Christmas.
He said that he couldn't buy me one...

Then on the December 24th he sent my sister to get one and i only received it at midnight!
I think cried with happiness!

Bought Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventures 1 with my Christmas savings.

PERFECT!

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Guys im devestated. I think my mint dreamcast is giving up the ghost. At first it was like vsrtical black lines appearing on the screen. I assumed it was my unofficial vga box. I thought if i bought one of those fancy vga boxes from the dude in turkey, it would solve my problems. Turns out this isnt the case and the picture is now nigh on unplayable. Its generating a lot of fuzz etc. Maybe its the connection? Im considering getting a cheap one off ebay and then swap the innards for my case (its still pristine white) but actually im now worried that the replacements drive might be shit or pack in. My drive is so far ok.

thepiratejay

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Thread for the GOAT Console? Subbed.

Never had a Dreamcast as a child (not that popular with parents in Germany), bought one a few months ago and immediately fell in love.

Played a round of Giant Gram 2K yesterday, still one of the greatest Wrestling Games of all time.

Oct 27, 2017
A Cave
Yo why are we not talking about Ecco the Dolphin? and why do a lot of the track names from the soundtrack sound like they are straight out of Dark Souls?

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Ecco is the game that sold me on buying a Dreamcast after seeing it displayed at EB. Wonderful and beautiful game. Wish it was ported to current gen. I never finished it unfortunately. I quit at the level where you're trapped in a small enclosing with an enemy dolphin and you can only breathe at tiny pockets of air. It made me feel too claustrophobic.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
So my local barcade got Virtual On and Initial D Ver 3. I tried some version of Virtual On for 360 but didn't care for it on analog sticks. It is such a different experience with The Twin Sticks controls. I probably played the machine for close to 2 hours. I looked up a Twin Sticks Controller for Dreamcast when I got home and it seems they go for close to $100 used. I might just wait and see if that new anime tie-in Virtual On gets Twin Stick controls. I'd love to play Initial D at home through Dreamcast emulator for practice but I don't know the first thing about Naomi stuff. Is it as simple as buying the disc and making an image?

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subbed! I'm acquiring a new rig that will be able to run Null DC and believe it or not but I'm so psyched to be able to play Sonic Shuffle again! Hahaha

Oct 31, 2017
Sold it to get a PS2 back then... But I bought a used one during my first trip to Tokyo a few years ago, with quite a lot of games !

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Love this machine. I have 3 dreamcasts, about 8 controllers, fight stick, light gun and all the Sega and capcom games. At least all the ones that came to the UK. I'd also imported power stone 2 as soon at it came out in Japan. I spent so many hours playing multiplayer powerstone and soul calibur, taking turns with my mates on Crazy Taxi, house of the dead 2, jet set radio, shenmue, capcom v snk, ooga booga, mars matrix, Rez, ecco, space channel 5, samba de amigo, chu chu rocket, PSO, skies of arcadia, code Veronica and so many more. Its library considering how short it's lifespan was extraordinary. Sega has never been as good before or after.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
The Dreamcast is still one of my favorite consoles, some of the library is kind of lacking in areas for me but the design, look and beauty in the colors and visuals of the console was remarkable. I also over the years discovered some cool imports and bought many amazing versions of my favorite fighting games. I love how portable it was too, it's a relatively small console.

Oct 25, 2017
Have any of you guys received the new release of flashback?

I'm looking for some impressions of the release build since it will be great to have an official definitive version of the game.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
looking into 3-4 player games. i think power stone was 4 player capable, right? record of lodoss war, but that's a long game.

Power Stone 2 is 4 player, the first one is 2 players only. Dead or Alive 2 also has 4 players if I remember correctly in 2 vs 2 tag mode. Also, I think Test Drive Le Man's 24 hour is also 4 player split screen. Chu-Chu Rocket and Gauntlet can also be played by 4 players.

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
I've been planning to buy a region free Dreamcast for well over a year now to replace my original PAL console and finally got one. I also needed a VGA box so bought the Toro couple weeks ago. Hopefully that arrives before 2018, but not counting on it.

Reason for these purchases was to get all vga compatible NTSC games and quite a few DC releases on Europe ommitted VGA support.

Had to rebuy an American copy of Code Veronica to replace the non VGA compatible PAL Code Veronica. I even picked up Dino Crisis (JP version), but not sure if it supports VGA out of the box.

Now planning to pick up Jet Set Radio and possibly Shenmue. I currently own only Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure 2, Chu Chu Rocket, Code Veronica and Dino Crisis so I've been missing quite a few titles! Dreamcast really is one of the greatest consoles ever and I can't wait to get more games!

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I've been planning to buy a region free Dreamcast for well over a year now to replace my original PAL console and finally got one. I also needed a VGA box so bought the Toro couple weeks ago. Hopefully that arrives before 2018, but not counting on it.

Reason for these purchases was to get all vga compatible NTSC games and quite a few DC releases on Europe ommitted VGA support.

Had to rebuy an American copy of Code Veronica to replace the non VGA compatible PAL Code Veronica. I even picked up Dino Crisis (JP version), but not sure if it supports VGA out of the box.

Now planning to pick up Jet Set Radio and possibly Shenmue. I currently own only Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure 2, Chu Chu Rocket, Code Veronica and Dino Crisis so I've been missing quite a few titles! Dreamcast really is one of the greatest consoles ever and I can't wait to get more games!

Instead of getting a region-free Dreamcast, you might want to just play the GDEmu lottery and get rid of the ticking timebomb that is your GDRom lens while adding region free support automagically.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
still playin discs, still flirtin with disaster over here

we'll have better/easier to get at solutions down the road, i'm in no hurry

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of getting a region-free Dreamcast, you might want to just play the GDEmu lottery and get rid of the ticking timebomb that is your GDRom lens while adding region free support automagically.

I like to play original discs and cartridges. Nothing lasts forever, I'm aware of that. Solutions to these issues like the GDEmu are not something I'm looking for when playing on original hardware.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like to play original discs and cartridges. Nothing lasts forever, I'm aware of that. Solutions to these issues like the GDEmu are not something I'm looking for when playing on original hardware.
The output is no different from an unmodified Dreamcast. So unless you're specifically looking to have the whole experience of taking your game out of the jewel case, put the disc in the drive and listen to it spin, etc, you're not really missing anything.

Last edited: