• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ran through my collection and posted some recommendations in your other thread. So many great Dreamcast games under $50. It's a pretty reasonable system to collect for outside some of the shumps and fighters. Waiting on my final NA release to arrive next week, can finally consider my NA collection done, feels good.
Wel. Thankfully I stink at Shumps and have my fill of fighters. Say mind giving me your thoughts on armada, Egg(I've seen it, but never chased it), Mr Driller, and Virtual on in particular?

NDPsycho

Oct 27, 2017
Wel. Thankfully I stink at Shumps and have my fill of fighters. Say mind giving me your thoughts on armada, Egg(I've seen it, but never chased it), Mr Driller, and Virtual on in particular?

Sure, some are more recent plays for me than others. Might want to check some youtube videos too, see if any appeal. Armada was pretty cool, kind of a top down shooter with rpg elements. It could get monotonous after a while, but what games doesn't? EGG is memorable for it's art style. It plays like a Zelda style adventure. The Dreamcast didn't get many games like this, rpg-lite, adventure 2d art style. There's a reason it's a bit of a cult hit. I just got Mr. Driller in the last couple of weeks, haven't put a lot of time into it, but it looks good and plays well. It's a puzzle style game, some say it reminds them of dig dug. You're in a race against time/air to get to the bottom of the map by drilling down and trying not to get crushed. I've never had twin sticks, but Virtual on is a fun mech combat game. I liked it better than the Saturn version. If you're not into arena combat style games, maybe stick with Tech Romancer, which you already have.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sure, some are more recent plays for me than others. Might want to check some youtube videos too, see if any appeal. Armada was pretty cool, kind of a top down shooter with rpg elements. It could get monotonous after a while, but what games doesn't? EGG is memorable for it's art style. It plays like a Zelda style adventure. The Dreamcast didn't get many games like this, rpg-lite, adventure 2d art style. There's a reason it's a bit of a cult hit. I just got Mr. Driller in the last couple of weeks, haven't put a lot of time into it, but it looks good and plays well. It's a puzzle style game, some say it reminds them of dig dug. You're in a race against time/air to get to the bottom of the map by drilling down and trying not to get crushed. I've never had twin sticks, but Virtual on is a fun mech combat game. I liked it better than the Saturn version. If you're not into arena combat style games, maybe stick with Tech Romancer, which you already have.
Mr driller actually is part of the dig dug series. I didn't realize Egg is a Zelda like, now I'm really interested. I'm interested in the virtualon series, I just was never able to find a copy of the first game in English so I grabbed a Japanese copy... and just never got around to trying it

Oct 28, 2017
Got this system at launch for soul calibur. I remember that day well. I got a dc at the fleamarket for 10 bucks and have rebought chu chu rocket and four controllers. I am ready.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Mr driller actually is part of the dig dug series. I didn't realize Egg is a Zelda like, now I'm really interested. I'm interested in the virtualon series, I just was never able to find a copy of the first game in English so I grabbed a Japanese copy... and just never got around to trying it

There was also a PC port of the Driller identical to the Dreamcast version. But they are easier compared to the original arcade.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Managed to order a copy of project justice for 50 bucks, just the disk,but i pretty happy. However I'm now on no buy unless I run into something at my local shop(it's a convient stop when I do a grocery run) but they don't get in stuff too often, but the pricing is usually fine when they do.
Also it's time for the weekly vote over in my playthrough thread for any interested

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to order a copy of project justice for 50 bucks, just the disk,but i pretty happy. However I'm now on no buy unless I run into something at my local shop(it's a convient stop when I do a grocery run) but they don't get in stuff too often, but the pricing is usually fine when they do.
Also it's time for the weekly vote over in my playthrough thread for any interested
US version? Nice

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, looks like I got lucky on a buy it now on eBay. I mean, it's going for between 75 a and 80 on amazon right now caseless. Reminds me how I got a deal on my copy of powerstone 2 at an independent game shop due to its missing manual. I get lucky on occasion... not sure why I jumped on another fighting game though, they make a rediculous portion of my gaming collection. I'm hoping I get lucky at my local shop on something non fighting soon

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
nice one, man!

again years back i nabbed cannon spike for $40 from a seller with no pics (like most of amazon marketplace, of course) and when it showed up complete, i was shocked. you luck out sometimes!

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know ways to play Dreamcast using a wireless controller?

Retro-Bit recently showcased their wireless bluetooth DC controllers but no release date.

I think PS2 wireless controllers work or something. Anyone know?

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, Dreamcast Era... I answered a Craigslist posting for a $40 Dreamcast lot. It was better than I initially thought:

4Iwc2vN.jpg

For $40! I've never had a Dreamcast but couldn't pass it up. My tv has a VGA port with a PC audio in Jack. If I buy the Tomee or Retrobut VGA cable set, do I need another adapter to connect the R/W audio cables into the PC input? If so, what am I looking for?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Thanks. I'm thinking I just need an RCA-to-Pc 35mm male-to-female adapter. Anyone know for sure?

Also, what are the must-haves that don't cost a fortune?
Skies of Arcadia, sonic adventure, toy commander, Virtua on, Shenmue(or so I'm told), Maken X(goes pretty cheap, but is a really fun experimental Atlus game), Sonic shuffle. Off the top of my head in the generally less than 50 category
Edit: oh and fur fighters and cray taxi. Time stalkers isn't bad either

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Say any tips for best way to approach Project Justice? Just jump into story mode?
Also think it may be time to throw some real time into time stalkers

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, guys. Got a VGA cable today and the games look gorgeous... but sadly, my copy of Hydro thunder doesn't support VGA :( For a throw-in I can't complain, but it would have looked oh so pretty.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Newbie question, I hope you guys can help: I'm hearing there are ways to trick the DC to play a non-vga disc like Hydro thunder in VGA mode. Can anyone provide any details on the cheapest or best way to do this? I'm fine using the SD card method but I'd need someone to give me some details... is it just putting the game on sd or what?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Hey DC'ers~
So I have a VGA box and I was wondering if I should just get some headphone jack+VGA cord-to-HDMI adapter OR, the Retro-Bit VGA~HDMI cable.
Has anyone done either of these connections on a 1080p set? Any good feedback on the Retro-Bit cable?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Been three weeks now and my local shop has still not gotten any new Dreamcast stock... only nongeneric stuff they have is grinch and Daytona USA... it's sad really. Wish I had grabbed that Shenmue they had last year.

On a more positive note. It's time for the weekly vote over in my playthrough thread. Any thoughts on that IrishNinja or leder ?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Been three weeks now and my local shop has still not gotten any new Dreamcast stock... only nongeneric stuff they have is grinch and Daytona USA... it's sad really. Wish I had grabbed that Shenmue they had last year.

On a more positive note. It's time for the weekly vote over in my playthrough thread. Any thoughts on that IrishNinja or leder ?
Sure, bumped your thread with my pick.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sure, bumped your thread with my pick.
Thank you. leder Also I forgot how much of a pain in the butt Goldia is! Cleared all characters(only did 2 previously) only one with multiple endings I rounded off was Pollin and Bollon. May have set settings to easy/single round/infinite specials though :p. Trying to unlock Blodia the one unique unlockable character, but grinding is easier said than done. I may have picked up the batterie s to try and sneak in some vmu grinding though

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I need to pony up for the US version one of these days. I got the Japanese version for a steal and played through it that way. I have some rudimentary Japanese, but couldn't really follow all the storylines that well.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Are you still looking for Shenmue? I have one I was looking to sell recently. Let me know if you want it (I'm in Toronto and can ship anywhere in Canada or the US).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Are you still looking for Shenmue? I have one I was looking to sell recently. Let me know if you want it (I'm in Toronto and can ship anywhere in Canada or the US).
I'm US(TX). I'd be willing consider
Edit: if you have anything else your considering selling let me know, I have a few non rare games I'd like to get but just haven't been willing to spend the time to track down individually that I'd be more than willing to do as part of a group.

It's kinda funny I have 2 spares myself for if I ever wind up in a bargaining position: skies of Arcadia and sonic adventure
Awesome! I need to pony up for the US version one of these days. I got the Japanese version for a steal and played through it that way. I have some rudimentary Japanese, but couldn't really follow all the storylines that well.
the storylines are fun(and occasionally hilarious) and I'm pretty sure most are riffs on various tropes/anime's... not that'd I know which ones. Pollin's winds up with her giving Junipe a harem XD and either winds up with her and her father living with him, or the fight between her and her mother destroying earth XD and both are Goldibus!

Last edited:

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

late here, but - ive been wanting to replay both shenmue's for a while now! only held out cause of the faint hope of HD remasters, haha

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
So these cheap VGA-to-HDMI converters (like the Amalink £15 ones for example) would they do the job for the Dreamcast?
Just saw how cheap some of these converters are now and got to thinking...

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well, it's almost time for a new vote over in my thread, but I think I'm going to try and blow through skies of Arcadia in the next 2 weeks because I'll have some time. Then things are going to break for a little bit because I'm moving

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
So these cheap VGA-to-HDMI converters (like the Amalink £15 ones for example) would they do the job for the Dreamcast?
Just saw how cheap some of these converters are now and got to thinking...

Keep your expectations low, but if they are cheap you should try. The analog to digital conversion will most likely create a bit of input lag and may reduce a bit of quality, but may still give a good result. I have one and seemed ok.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
So tried to load up Shenmue on my old DC and the game freezes at a certain point. I think it has something to do with the laser for my DC. Any potential fixes?

Shadow Hog

Oct 26, 2017
VGA and hdmi are both digital
VGA is analog, actually. DVI is the digital one. Old video cards used to be able to output VGA over DVI anyway, so you could convert from one to the other as needed, but as of the GeForce 10XX series that's no longer the case (nVidia was the last hold-out; AMD and Intel had already dropped VGA entirely).

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Keep your expectations low, but if they are cheap you should try. The analog to digital conversion will most likely create a bit of input lag and may reduce a bit of quality, but may still give a good result. I have one and seemed ok.
Expectations lowered and adapter ordered :)

The only VGA-compatible display I have here is an ancient 14-inch monitor (which doesn't display full screen) so it's not going to take much to provide a step-up, provided this even works haha.

I looked into these years ago and promptly forgot they existed, can see me bouncing between a few until I'm satisfied. Looking forward to it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't know, I'd like to pick up a few of the reasonably priced Dreamcast rpgs and adventure games, but without either finding them in person for a decent price, or getting a good deal on a bundle of them I'm having a hard time biting. I probably can justify one more game before the move, then it'll be a few months before anything else...

Any thoughts? IrishNinja leder here's my collection for reference
18 wheeler
4 Wheel Thunder
Airforce Delta
Bust-A-Move 4
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Chu-Chu Rocket
Dead or Alive 2
Draconus Cult of the Worm
Ecco the Dolphin
Fur Fighters
Hydro Thunder
Jet Grind Radio*
Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver
Maken X
Marvel Vs Capcom
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Max Steel
Power Stone 2
Project Justice
Rainbow Six Rouge Spear
Ready 2 Rumble
Rippen Riders
Rush 2049
Seaman**
Sega Rally
Sega Bass Fishing
Sega Smashpack**
Skies Of Arcadia*
Slave Zero
Sonic Adventure*
Sonic Shuffle
Soul Fighter
Space Channel 5
Star Wars Pod Racer
Soulcalibur
Super Magnetic Neo
Tech Romacer
Test Drive 6
TimeStalkers
Toy Commander
Wild Metal

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I'd like to pick up a few of the reasonably priced Dreamcast rpgs and adventure games, but without either finding them in person for a decent price, or getting a good deal on a bundle of them I'm having a hard time biting. I probably can justify one more game before the move, then it'll be a few months before anything else...

Any thoughts? IrishNinja leder here's my collection for reference
It's not as cheap as it once was, but Shenmue is a must have for that genre.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's not as cheap as it once was, but Shenmue is a must have for that genre.
I got a complete with manual for 55 I'm looking at on amazon, but I thought I'd see if there was anything else cheaper first. Rpg wise i mean. For that matter unless I can get it in the 30-40 range I'm waiting. I'd like it, but unless I can get it cheap enough or in person I'm not driven enough to use my entire gaming budget for the month for it, especially since I'm going to have a tight budget for a few months. I'm considering buying something this week, but my limit is really only 20-30$. That's why I thought I'd ask about other rpgs

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well, good news and bad news. Bad news is the disk drive gave out on my Dreamcast, good news is a friend gave me a spare a few years back. I just need to wipe it down and vacuum the ports and I should be good to go. Just finished the Nasir shrine, problem is I forgot to save after defeating red Gigyas the first time, and the drive gave out the second time after I beat him
Better news, spare is working perfectly... now what to do with a Dreamcast with a dead disk drive

Last edited:

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Well, good news and bad news. Bad news is the disk drive gave out on my Dreamcast, good news is a friend gave me a spare a few years back. I just need to wipe it down and vacuum the ports and I should be good to go. Just finished the Nasir shrine, problem is I forgot to save after defeating red Gigyas the first time, and the drive gave out the second time after I beat him
Better news, spare is working perfectly... now what to do with a Dreamcast with a dead disk drive
Time to play the GDEmu lottery.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's a GD-ROM replacement. You remove the laser assembly and plug it in instead and you can play games off an SD card instead.
Well, I might be willing to consider, it's not like there's much more I can do with that one, and I'll have access to my dads workshop for a few weeks in a month( I also plan to try and do maintenance on my gpa's pinball table). I'm not the most skilled with my hands, but I can handle a screwdriver. Although I'd want to pick up one of those disk extractor usb style ones wouldn't I? Then I can use my working one to rip my games.

Ok I'm interested, what are the details, although why do you refer to it as a lottery though? And it's not too expensive is it?

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Well, I might be willing to consider, it's not like there's much more I can do with that one, and I'll have access to my dads workshop for a few weeks in a month( I also plan to try and do maintenance on my gpa's pinball table). I'm not the most skilled with my hands, but I can handle a screwdriver. Although I'd want to pick up one of those disk extractor usb style ones wouldn't I? Then I can use my working one to rip my games.

Ok I'm interested, what are the details, although why do you refer to it as a lottery though? And it's not too expensive is it?

It's pretty easy to set up. You just unscrew your Dreamcast, remove the cables from your existing drive and then plug the new unit in its place. He charges 130 euros so it's around the high end typical Everdrive in terms of cost.

The reason I call it a lottery is due to the extremely annoying way these go for sale. The producer hypes it up on his blog and a week later at a random time, usually when North America is asleep, he will open orders for less than five minutes. If you miss out you have to wait a month to try again.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's pretty easy to set up. You just unscrew your Dreamcast, remove the cables from your existing drive and then plug the new unit in its place. He charges 130 euros so it's around the high end typical Everdrive in terms of cost.

The reason I call it a lottery is due to the extremely annoying way these go for sale. The producer hypes it up on his blog and a week later at a random time, usually when North America is asleep, he will open orders for less than five minutes. If you miss out you have to wait a month to try again.
Ooofff, I can see how that can be annoying, especially since I'm NA... well it'll be a few months before I can set aside the money, that and I'd have to buy the ripping tech too. But it's good to know about the option at least. I'll probably consider it when I have the cash, but not now

NDPsycho

Oct 27, 2017
Ooofff, I can see how that can be annoying, especially since I'm NA... well it'll be a few months before I can set aside the money, that and I'd have to buy the ripping tech too. But it's good to know about the option at least. I'll probably consider it when I have the cash, but not now

They're pretty convenient. I don't have the sd gdemu, but I did get a usb one when stone age gamer was selling them briefly. You can also skip all that and just order a new laser assembly off of ebay. They're around $25-$30.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
They're pretty convenient. I don't have the sd gdemu, but I did get a usb one when stone age gamer was selling them briefly. You can also skip all that and just order a new laser assembly off of ebay. They're around $25-$30.
Heh, good to know, but like I mentioned, I thankfully have a working spare, I was just looking at some long term options for application