• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
This may be a long shot, but has anybody used the Gekko with the El Gato HD game capture? The original El Gato had issues capturing Dreamcast video trough common VGA--> HDMI converters.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Decided to take a pic of my collection since I was talking to a friend about the Dreamcast. I meant to take one for the anniversary, but missed it. Heh.

tIqxW6Y.jpg

Oct 31, 2017
I read somewhere that it sold like 400,000 copies but unless it did VERY WELL in Europe that may have been a shipped statement. Below is US sales of all Sega games.

Link.

Unbelievable how not ONE Xbox game is in the top 10.

I think the OG Xbox pretty much bombed in Europe. I remember being interested in some games back then but the price tag was ridiculous.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
I'm trying to find a good S-Video cable for the Dreamcast to play Bangai-O (don't have a way to use RGB), is there one you guys would recommend? I have a PAL unit and I'm based in Germany, though I don't mind importing from outside of Europe if necessary.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to find a good S-Video cable for the Dreamcast to play Bangai-O (don't have a way to use RGB), is there one you guys would recommend? I have a PAL unit and I'm based in Germany, though I don't mind importing from outside of Europe if necessary.
Some VGA boxes (including the official one) have S-Video out so you can just use any S-Video cable. I don't have any idea where you can find a Dreamcast dedicated one. Being in Europe it's much easier to find SCART cables (understandably) .

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
DC was the first console I bought with my own money. My collection just like my GC collection is small, but has pretty much everything I want just missing a couple of games I really want.

Lve7ZB6.jpg

TKHCuQw.jpg

whxLXq8.jpg

YCgALDy.jpg

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
When you wrote down "small", I was expecting like ten games.

This isn't a small collection at all ! :P
I was thinking the same lol. Probably even more since I didn't realize at first that those were NA games. Had it been a EU collection, it'd have taken an entire shelf. Some great gems there. What's your all time Dreamcast favorite from your collection, Rygar?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
When you wrote down "small", I was expecting like ten games.

This isn't a small collection at all ! :P

Little from a gotta catch em all situation. Tons of games I still want like Ikaruga, Mars Matrix, Skies of Arcadia and a bunch of others.

I was thinking the same lol. Probably even more since I didn't realize at first that those were NA games. Had it been a EU collection, it'd have taken an entire shelf. Some great gems there. What's your all time Dreamcast favorite from your collection, Rygar?

Man favorite out of all those? Hmm, most likely MvC2 still play it with friends to this day.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
Based on how the gdemu guy has reacted to them, I assume they are complete ripoffs.

They work very well and are available immediately. The guy who made the original has never properly supplied enough boards to the public and so the clones are getting to be the only option.

At some point you gotta say the had multiple chances to ramp production and make profit. Time for more people to have access to the board.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Mars Matrix is definitely worth the asking price IMHO. Incredible game. Harder to recommend Ikaruga at the price given it's own PC and Switch for cheap (relatively).

Oct 27, 2017
I got one of the Pound HDMI adapters and have been really pleased.

iacsdO1.jpg

I think I'm going to start up a play through of Shenmue 2 as well. Grabbed a PAL copy years ago and never actually played it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
DC was the first console I bought with my own money. My collection just like my GC collection is small, but has pretty much everything I want just missing a couple of games I really want.

Lve7ZB6.jpg

TKHCuQw.jpg

whxLXq8.jpg

YCgALDy.jpg

Missing a bunch of stuff in my opinion but you cancel that out by owning Illbleed and that makes you the best person I've seen today. Nice collection.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's Japanese though XD. I'll need to get a Japanese DC and they all look pricey on Ebay. There's one for around 100 CAD but it's yellowed as hell, which I wouldn't mind if it was priced accordingly. I can't find any local listings either.

The other option is I'll need to get a boot disc+a NTSC DC. Is there any boot disc that is freely available(without pirating the boot disc)?

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
It's Japanese though XD. I'll need to get a Japanese DC and they all look pricey on Ebay. There's one for around 100 CAD but it's yellowed as hell, which I wouldn't mind if it was priced accordingly. I can't find any local listings either.

The other option is I'll need to get a boot disc+a NTSC DC. Is there any boot disc that is freely available(without pirating the boot disc)?

Utopia is freeware, so check it out.

Oct 31, 2017
Yes. Personally, I got annoyed with that stuff, though, and just installed a mod chip years ago to make it region-free. Easy to install and, at the time at least (no idea now), cheap. Now I just put in my imports in straight away and they work.

How easy exactly ? If it's as easy as changing the PSU, I might do it :P

But ultimately, I think I'll go with that gdrom thing to futureproof my basura.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If your objective is to play original games from a different region then I don't advise Utopia as it does not offer 100% compatibility. Either get Action Replay CDX or CodeBreaker. I wouldn't feel too guilty about pirating unlicensed long discontinued software.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap, a bit of googling has made me realize how cheap it is to get a modchip for the DC and Saturn(which means I don't need the Action Replay cart anymore(aside for the extra memory games like X-men Vs Street Fighter). I'm definitely going that route.

If your objective is to play original games from a different region then I don't advise Utopia as it does not offer 100% compatibility. Either get Action Replay CDX or CodeBreaker. I wouldn't feel too guilty about pirating unlicensed long discontinued software.
I would feel a bit guilty pirating that software even though they no longer exist. But to each their own. It does feel a lot more of a grey area, but people still need to put in work to make that software.