• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
got my first US dreamcast game =)

GXjWO76h.jpg

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Sunday evening is normally my Dreamcast online gaming night and I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to play things like Toy Racer, Chu Chu, PSO and Monaco GP online in 2019, chatting away on my DC keyboard. I feel like I'm 16 again back in 2000!

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WELCOME TO...POWER STONE WAR!!

Two player mode is a blast! (No cheesy 90's pun intended)
Make sure you have some way to play NTSC-U games on your JP Dreamcast, though.
yeah, i'm looking into some region free solutions.

Sunday evening is normally my Dreamcast online gaming night and I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to play things like Toy Racer, Chu Chu, PSO and Monaco GP online in 2019, chatting away on my DC keyboard. I feel like I'm 16 again back in 2000!
you know that reminds me when i got my first dreamcast back at launch, i hooked up the internet and got the speedy 56k modem speed.
lolol

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Getting dreaded disc read errors on disc 1 of my Shenmue 2 which is doubly annoying if one hasn't saved for awhile. Cleaned that sucker as best I could & it's chugging away happily now, hope the other discs are ok!

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw those batteries you should take them out when not playing any VMU games. iirc they drain like crazy even when its not in use and none of the save files are dependant on the batteries.
Thanks Piggychan, i didn't know that i can save w/o the battery. i got a whole 10 pack but going to save em for my Saturn and Honda car key remote =)

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Wait is that why my VMU chimes every time I turn the DC on? I thought that was just normal >.> .

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
We had an epic night online in Alien Front Online last night.

Two full lobbies of 4v4 at multiple times. Absolutely epic!

Some footage of the evening here:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So I've decided to sell off my Dreamcast collection, as it's been in a closet for close to 10 years.

Cannon Spike has sold listings for $200 to $300 on eBay? What even the fuck. I wonder what other gems I'm sitting on.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've decided to sell off my Dreamcast collection, as it's been in a closet for close to 10 years.

Cannon Spike has sold listings for $200 to $300 on eBay? What even the fuck. I wonder what other gems I'm sitting on.
I'd be happy to take some titles off your hands. As for valuable gems, Cannon Spike is the most expensive game in the US library I believe. Gigawing 2 complete is close in value though.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'd be happy to take some titles off your hands. As for valuable gems, Cannon Spike is the most expensive game in the US library I believe. Gigawing 2 complete is close in value though.

To think I nabbed Cannon Spike and Power Stone 2 off of the Capcom website in 2002 for like $20 each.

Here's a snap I just took of my box, I'll list up what I have shortly.

I also have a few controllers, VMUs, a keyboard, a mouse, and a few other odds and end. In particular I have a Translucent Black controller that's basically new, as I bought it late in the system's life as a backup and never really used it. (I did the same with a stock white controller but I kinda forgot which was the newish one and which was the pack-in.)

Edit: I almost wonder if I should just wait it out and see if Cannon Spike goes any higher or just cash out now.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To think I nabbed Cannon Spike and Power Stone 2 off of the Capcom website in 2002 for like $20 each.

Here's a snap I just took of my box, I'll list up what I have shortly.

I also have a few controllers, VMUs, a keyboard, a mouse, and a few other odds and end. In particular I have a Translucent Black controller that's basically new, as I bought it late in the system's life as a backup and never really used it. (I did the same with a stock white controller but I kinda forgot which was the newish one and which was the pack-in.)

Edit: I almost wonder if I should just wait it out and see if Cannon Spike goes any higher or just cash out now.

I PMed you, honestly you should just sell Cannon Spike now, I don't see it going much higher...but I doubt it will drop in price either, so if you don't need the money there probably isn't much harm in waiting. I don't see Psikyo porting that to Switch like their other Dreamcast shooters since it has all the Capcom characters they don't own.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I think I got Cannon Spike really cheap back in the day, too. Didn't know it was worth that much.

Not selling my copy, though.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Crazy Taxi 2, and Shadow Man are all claimed.

I'm working on pricing everything including the accessories I have and I'll post it up here tonight or tomorrow.

Figure I'll give the folks here first dibs before I post it in the B/S/T thread proper and then onto eBay.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Alright, here's what I got on-hand:

Shipping prices aren't included here, and varies based on your location and weight of what you're purchasing. I'm a bit flexible on price within reason. I can provide up close photos of the games themselves by request.

Hardware:
Dreamcast Mouse - $30
Dreamcast Keyboard - $40
Dreamcast Controller (White) - $25
Dreamcast Controller (Blue) - $25
Dreamcast Controller (Charcoal) - $25
VMU (Blue) - $7.50
VMU (White) - $7.50
Jump Pack - $20
4x Memory Card - $25
Dreamcast Console (Incl. 3rd Party Memory Card & VGA Cable) - $75

VMU (Charcoal) - $7.50

7qTyedMl.jpg

vmOLPGSl.jpg

8WT0L8Tl.jpg

QCRXq6Al.jpg

Cannon Spike - $250
Crazy Taxi (Sega All-Stars Release) - $15
Ecco the Dolphin: The Tides of Time (Back Cover of Manual Missing) - $20
Floigan Bros: Episode 1 - $15
Frogger 2 - $15
Gauntlet Legends - $35
Gran Turismo 2 Bleemcast Disc w/ GT2 Game - $25
Jet Grind Radio - $40
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - $20
Looney Tunes: Space Race - $25
Metal Gear Solid Bleemcast Disc - $15
NBA 2k1 (Sega All-Stars Release) - $5
NFL 2k1 (Sega All-Stars Release) - $5
NHL 2k2 - $15
The Next Tetris - $15
Ooga Booga - $25
Phantasy Star Online / SA2 Trial - $25
Quake 3 Arena - $15
Rayman 2: The Great Escape - $25
Rippin' Riders - $10
Samba de Amigo - $25
Sega Smash Pack - $15
Shenmue - $40
Slave Zero - $15
Soldier of Fortune - $20
Sonic Adventure (Japan Release) - $20
Sonic Adventure 2 Birthday Pack (Japan Release) - $50
Sonic Shuffle - $25
Soul Calibur - $25
Space Channel 5 - $15
Speed Devils Online Racing - $20
Spider-Man- $40
Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles - $25
Sword of the Berserk - $40
Tennis 2k2 - $10
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear - $10
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - $25
Toy Commander - $15
Trickstyle - $10
The Typing of the Dead - $35
Unreal Tournament - $20
Vanishing Point - $15
Virtua Tennis - $15
Wild Metal - $15
World Series Baseball 2k1 (Sega All-Stars Release) - $5
Zombie Revenge - $40

Time Stalkers - $20
Re-Volt - $20
Resident Evil: Code Veronica - $30
Maken X - $20
Chu Chu Rocket - $15
Skies of Arcadia - $80
Sega Rally 2 - $20
Fur Fighters - $30
Grandia 2 (Plus Soundtrack) -$50
Sonic Adventure (Sega All-Stars Release) - $25
Blue Stinger - $20

dTSStJrl.jpg

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone here familiar with the GDEMU and clones? Are the clones worth looking into?

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Is anyone here familiar with the GDEMU and clones? Are the clones worth looking into?
I use a GDEmu but it seems like the design didn't have adequate security making it pretty easy for Chinese companies to make identical devices. A few of them seem to be poorly produced in such a way that only affects other aftermarket devices (like DCHDMI) though.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Well, I'm familiar with the "official" GDEMU and don't really have a high opinion on it. Rant warning. For some reason mine defaults to only output on the green channel on RGB SCART and VGA modes and only provides full colors in composite mode (eugh). I couldn't find anyone online with this problem, but the fact I spent so much money on this thing and waited so long on it pissed me off pretty bad. And then I didn't have time to pursue the issue with the maker and a year passed and now I just stare at it and think "I'm a dumbass".

And then I learned about the USB GDROM, which was more expensive, but didn't have the limitations the GDEMU has (for example, you can't have more than 60 games or so per SD card) so that irked me further.

I imagine there are people who had or are having a good time with it, but I didn't.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm familiar with the "official" GDEMU and don't really have a high opinion on it. Rant warning. For some reason mine defaults to only output on the green channel on RGB SCART and VGA modes and only provides full colors in composite mode (eugh). I couldn't find anyone online with this problem, but the fact I spent so much money on this thing and waited so long on it pissed me off pretty bad. And then I didn't have time to pursue the issue with the maker and a year passed and now I just stare at it and think "I'm a dumbass".

And then I learned about the USB GDROM, which was more expensive, but didn't have the limitations the GDEMU has (for example, you can't have more than 60 games or so per SD card) so that irked me further.

I imagine there are people who had or are having a good time with it, but I didn't.

Is the USB GDROM any different from GDEMU and just as simple to install? I watched a video of GDEMU and it was literally plug and play. Is USB the same?

I'm just trying to get information on these devices right now, I only just learned about it.

dunno if this been posted yet as I'm just a lurker in this thread but if so.... ah well

Nope, you're good to go!

Looks like a fantastic device, John did a great job of breaking down the IQ differences, and now I'm super annoyed that my Toro doesn't have completely accurate color and detail reproduction.

I would like to install this myself but the main thing holding me back is the case modification.
I really, really don't like to modify game console cases, which is odd, because I don't mind modding motherboards all that much in comparison.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Is the USB GDROM any different from GDEMU and just as simple to install? I watched a video of GDEMU and it was literally plug and play. Is USB the same?

I'm just trying to get information on these devices right now, I only just learned about it.

It seems really easy, no soldering and just one little resistor which can be plugged in place. Now if only they were manufactured and sold in the US, I get scared sending money overseas for stuff like this...

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Picked up my first ever Dreamcast earlier from an Ebay purchase. Was fretting for a bit as I couldn't get the picture working but thankfully all I needed to do was leave the scart cable hanging out a fair bit from TV. Got a VGA cable on the way for better picture quality.

Got 7 loose games (Tony Hawks Skateboarding, Chu-Chu, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, MSR, Soul Calibur and Rayman 2) and 6 demos (5 DreamOn volumes and 1 Re-Volt).

Already well into THPS, which I had on PS1 as a kid. I like how the VMU tells you that 'u suck' when you bail.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm going to Japan in two weeks and will pick up a Dreamcast (and a Saturn). Any recommendations for games and accessories? I'm not really into shmups, will pick up as many rpgs I can that are reasonably prized. Any recommendations are welcome, no matter the genre:)

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to Japan in two weeks and will pick up a Dreamcast (and a Saturn). Any recommendations for games and accessories? I'm not really into shmups, will pick up as many rpgs I can that are reasonably prized. Any recommendations are welcome, no matter the genre:)
Picking up rpgs in Japan means picking up Japanese heavy games. If you don't speak Japanese I would advise picking some fighting games and other arcade ports.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Almost anything that Capcom, SNK or Sega released on the system is gold. Shame that you don't like shmups. In general, JP Dreamcast games are much cheaper than their NTSC counterparts, but there are some exceptions. For example, the second release of JSR that has a lot of the QoL features that showed up in the NTSC release is really expensive. Here's my top 10 for my JPN DC collection:

• Jet Set Radio
  • SF3 Third Strike
  • Last Blade 2
  • Mars Matrix
  • Powerstone 2
  • Last Blade 2
  • Virtual On
  • Capcom vs SNK 2
  • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
  • Moero! Justice Gakuen (Project Justice)

If you want some recs JP exclusive RPGs, I don't have a ton of experience with that, but there's Capcom's El Dorado Gate series (7 games), and Sega's Hundred Swords that look interesting.

I would go for any and all fighting games. The ones that were released in all regions are cheaper in Japan - and I happen to like most of the cover art a bit more, too!

There aren't TOO many RPGs on the Dreamcast, besides the obvious heavy hitters, such as Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Grandia II.
And yeah, unless you speak Japanese, there's not a lot to get out of them - but you may have other reasons to collect them in mind. Or maybe you do read Japanese. No judgement.

Some Japan Region Exclusives include:
Cosmic Smash (yes, please)
Cool Cool Toon (great rhythm game)
L. O. L. (Lack of Love)
Napple Tale
Rez
Rent-a-Hero No. 1 (RPG)
Sega Tetris
Segagaga (RPG)
Room 203 (Looks interesting, being remade(?) for playstation)

Frame Gride is a From Software mech game, though I've heard mixed reviews on it...

Most Naomi ports (see bottom of page) require little to no Japanese, and are decent-to-great fun to play.
Probably cheaper than the western counterparts, too!

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Picking up rpgs in Japan means picking up Japanese heavy games. If you don't speak Japanese I would advise picking some fighting games and other arcade ports.

Oh I do speak some Japanese. Intend to use them to improve. Should have put that in my first post :p

leder Glimlocker thanks for the recommendations :) I'd be willing to pick up a couple of shmups, I basically plan all genres but just have preferences to some:) Any shmups that would be good for a casual player?

Last edited:
Oh I do speak some Japanese. Intend to use them to improve. Should have put that in my first post :p

In that case, Rent A Hero probably has mid- level to higher Japanese. At least the Mega Drive version did.

From what I can tell Segagaga contains a lot of technical Japanese, but I'm sure parts are fairly informal enough to easily read!

This is all speculation, though, but those are probably my two recommendations for Japanese exclusive RPGs regardless.