• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Got my cheap VGA cable delivered today. The difference between it and scart is amazing. Really makes you wish xbox/gc/ps2 had the same option.

Pretty envious seeing your NTSC cases. Near enough every PAL case I have seen is a tattered, broken mess.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Sunday evening is normally my Dreamcast online gaming night and I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to play things like Toy Racer, Chu Chu, PSO and Monaco GP online in 2019, chatting away on my DC keyboard. I feel like I'm 16 again back in 2000!

What the hell? People are playing DC online still? How...? I'd totally be down to join if it's easy to do.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
What the hell? People are playing DC online still? How...? I'd totally be down to join if it's easy to do.

Super easy, especially if you invest in a DreamPi. For about $100, all the games work out of the box via WiFi with no fiddling about:

https://www.dreamcastlive.net/connection-guide

There are even features like DCNow so you can see who's online and who has been online recently:

http://dreamcast.online/now/

Organised games pretty much every night of the week.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I'm currently at my parents' home, dug out my old DC and hooked it up to a television for the first time in... about a decade? It took me much longer than expected to set it up with that ancient antenna cable adapter and the video quality is atrocious. How was I able the enjoy this as a teen lol? But video quality aside, I was immediately reminded why it is such a great system - one of my very favorite ones. Yesterday I booted up some old PS1 games that were released a few years earlier and every game I own on DC blows them out of the water.
Nonetheless I decided to sell my system. As much as I like the console itself and the games, I don't have any use for it and it's taking up a lot of space with all the accessories and boxes. If I really wanted to replay the games, I'd probably get remakes or play their PC equivalents.

Before I put them up on ebay I have one question:
The console and some accessories have considerably yellowed. Every plastic part that has been exposed to light is now pretty much beige. Here are some examples:
dsc_0068lvkjn.jpg

dsc_0069wijvb.jpg

Is there anything I can do about that that doesn't involve any disassembly or chemicals (hydrogen peroxide etc.)? I've read that putting it on the balcony and keeping it in direct sunlight should brighten it up a bit which doesn't sound plausible to me. It really looks filthy...

Is there anything else I should consider beforehand? Any advice how to package single games for example so the cases won't get damaged?

While I'm writing this I realized I have a 18 year old save file for Shen Mue on my VMU. Holy shit!

I'm currently at my parents' home, dug out my old DC and hooked it up to a television for the first time in... about a decade? It took me much longer than expected to set it up with that ancient antenna cable adapter and the video quality is atrocious. How was I able the enjoy this as a teen lol? But video quality aside, I was immediately reminded why it is such a great system - one of my very favorite ones. Yesterday I booted up some old PS1 games that were released a few years earlier and every game I own on DC blows them out of the water.
Nonetheless I decided to sell my system. As much as I like the console itself and the games, I don't have any use for it and it's taking up a lot of space with all the accessories and boxes. If I really wanted to replay the games, I'd probably get remakes or play their PC equivalents.

Before I put them up on ebay I have one question:
The console and some accessories have considerably yellowed. Every plastic part that has been exposed to light is now pretty much beige. Here are some examples:
dsc_0068lvkjn.jpg

dsc_0069wijvb.jpg

Is there anything I can do about that that doesn't involve any disassembly or chemicals (hydrogen peroxide etc.)? I've read that putting it on the balcony and keeping it in direct sunlight should brighten it up a bit which doesn't sound plausible to me. It really looks filthy...

Is there anything else I should consider beforehand? Any advice how to package single games for example so the cases won't get damaged?

While I'm writing this I realized I have a 18 year old save file for Shen Mue on my VMU. Holy shit!

I have never heard of a non-damaging way to take off discoloration on consoles, I'm afraid. Especially without taking apart the console.
I don't think putting it in the sun without a retrobrite treatment would do anything but make the yellowing worse?

For shipping single games, double wrap the entire case in small bubble wrap and shipping in a padded envelope should be ok for most games. For more expensive games, you can cut out two squares of cardboard, and tape them on top of the bubble wrap for extra protection.

You may also choose to ship the games in a small cardboard box, but obviously be sure the game isn't moving around inside at all.

What games are you selling? Some of the folks here on Era might be able to take a few off your hands, and you don't have to run into seller fees...

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I have never heard of a non-damaging way to take off discoloration on consoles, I'm afraid. Especially without taking apart the console.
I don't think putting it in the sun without a retrobrite treatment would do anything but make the yellowing worse?

For shipping single games, double wrap the entire case in small bubble wrap and shipping in a padded envelope should be ok for most games. For more expensive games, you can cut out two squares of cardboard, and tape them on top of the bubble wrap for extra protection.

You may also choose to ship the games in a small cardboard box, but obviously be sure the game isn't moving around inside at all.

What games are you selling? Some of the folks here on Era might be able to take a few off your hands, and you don't have to run into seller fees...

Thanks for your suggestions! I think I'll just sell my yellowed console then.
My collection mostly consists of sports and racing games plus Shenmue. Everything is PAL/ German.
dsc_00711ok5n.jpg

This plus Controllers, VMUs, a rumble pack (If I can find it), steering wheel + pedals and the console itself. Oh and a bunch of Dream On Demo discs! :)

I checked prices on eBay, there doesn't seem to be any truely sought after game unfortunately. Also, US prices seem to be considerably higher than the ones I've seen on German eBay. Especially MSR is barely worth anything - what is wrong with you people, this is a classic??! (I know this is not how it works).

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Thanks for your suggestions! I think I'll just sell my yellowed console then.
My collection mostly consists of sports and racing games plus Shenmue. Everything is PAL/ German.
dsc_00711ok5n.jpg

This plus Controllers, VMUs, a rumble pack (If I can find it), steering wheel + pedals and the console itself. Oh and a bunch of Dream On Demo discs! :)

I checked prices on eBay, there doesn't seem to be any truely sought after game unfortunately. Also, US prices seem to be considerably higher than the ones I've seen on German eBay. Especially MSR is barely worth anything - what is wrong with you people, this is a classic??! (I know this is not how it works).

If your copy of Shenmue is in better shape than mine I'd love to buy it. Edit: typo

Last edited:

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
I was enjoying MSR, but boy is it difficult. Tapped out without even completing chapter 2.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Played through the two Tony Hawks game again, had them on PS1 as a kid. Still a great time.

Dave Mirra up next...YIKES what a load of poop. Glad I skipped that one as a kid.

Played one credit of Giga Wing earlier and I think I'll enjoy it. I hope I will anyway as it's the most expensive game I've purchased for the system.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the two Tony Hawks game again, had them on PS1 as a kid. Still a great time.

Dave Mirra up next...YIKES what a load of poop. Glad I skipped that one as a kid.

Played one credit of Giga Wing earlier and I think I'll enjoy it. I hope I will anyway as it's the most expensive game I've purchased for the system.
Giga Wing is great. I remember liking it better than the sequel actually. Mars Matrix is my favorite Takumi game though.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
RIP DC, almost made it to 20 years, today I tried to boot it up for MvC2, controller ports 1, 2, 3, not working, port 4 saw my controller, then it kept telling me insert disc, the GD-ROM is dead :(..

I would agree that Giga Wing 1 is better than Giga Wing 2 in all ways. Music is a close one, though...
An incredibly enjoyable shmup on the Dreamcast, awesome that you managed to get it!

Also, the best OG editions of THPS, for sure! The recent Tony Hawk topic got me wanting to play them both again. They look and play excellent on the Dreamcast.

I loved Dave Mirra 2 on the GC, but never played the first. I know the controls are a little more stiff than the THPS series, but it should have a tremendously deep combo system.
The Acclaim extreme sports games were actually quite good, minus a few stinkers.

RIP DC, almost made it to 20 years, today I tried to boot it up for MvC2, controller ports 1, 2, 3, not working, port 4 saw my controller, then it kept telling me insert disc, the GD-ROM is dead :(..

How comfortable are you with unscrewing the system? You should be able to buy a replacement port for around $15, if you're willing to pay for one - it's simply a matter of unplugging the ribbon cable and installing the new one.

As for the GD-ROM, you can see if adjusting the potentiometer ever so slightly will get it to work again. If you want more info on that, let us know! (Or just Google it, too, I suppose)

But, yeah - as soon as you need to adjust the laser, that's an indication of the laser beginning to die, unfortunately..

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Bought something!
1vFHdUj.jpg

Is there a list out there of good games/good arcade releases that aren't on Saturn? I'm continuing my search for that part of my childhood/teenage years that I couldn't have - Sega consoles. My VGA cable should be here tomorrow, gonna plug that baby into my OSSC.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Bought something!
1vFHdUj.jpg

Is there a list out there of good games/good arcade releases that aren't on Saturn? I'm continuing my search for that part of my childhood/teenage years that I couldn't have - Sega consoles. My VGA cable should be here tomorrow, gonna plug that baby into my OSSC.
There's almost too many to list. For arcade games I would start by just looking at a list of games released on the Naomi platform, many of those got DC releases.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the console itself have any batteries in it that should be removed like the original Xbox has? Just want to make sure my console doesn't have an old leaky battery in it.

Also, I found that my console is one that won't play certain games. I hit up my local retro store and tried 3 copies of KISS: Psycho Circus and it just wouldn't boot them no matter what. Its the first game I ever had my system not want to boot. I looked it up and apparently this is a semi-common problem with Dreamcast systems not being able to play games that utilize a large portion of the disc's writeable space. Anyone know of a fix for that? I'm a bit soured on buying any more games for the thing because of this.

Oct 25, 2017
Does the console itself have any batteries in it that should be removed like the original Xbox has? Just want to make sure my console doesn't have an old leaky battery in it.
The Dreamcast does have a battery inside. It's a rechargeable cell battery that it uses to keep the clock running, and it is supposed to recharge when you turn the system on. Over time of course it loses charge; my DC doesn't keep time at all anymore and I need to set the clock every time I turn it on, which is a bit annoying. The battery can be replaced, but I'm pretty sure is welded, it's not an easily replaceable battery. If you do replace it it's best to replace it with a rechargeable battery of course, since it is set up to charge.

Also, I found that my console is one that won't play certain games. I hit up my local retro store and tried 3 copies of KISS: Psycho Circus and it just wouldn't boot them no matter what. Its the first game I ever had my system not want to boot. I looked it up and apparently this is a semi-common problem with Dreamcast systems not being able to play games that utilize a large portion of the disc's writeable space. Anyone know of a fix for that? I'm a bit soured on buying any more games for the thing because of this.
I've heard of this, but not with retail games... huh. I think it's a quite uncommon issue?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Bought something!
1vFHdUj.jpg

Wow I wish I could play DC for the first time again. Have you played most of the rerelease stuff like Ikaruga, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue? Or is the entire DC library fresh for you?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I wish I could play DC for the first time again. Have you played most of the rerelease stuff like Ikaruga, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue? Or is the entire DC library fresh for you?

I've played a little of JSR on PS3, and I own Skies of Arcadia on GC. I have Shenmue I+II on PS4 but have yet to try it. Most anything else, probably not? The console is new to me.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I've played a little of JSR on PS3, and I own Skies of Arcadia on GC. I have Shenmue I+II on PS4 but have yet to try it. Most anything else, probably not? The console is new to me.

Just about everything published by Sega and Capcom is worth looking at. Soul Calibur is worth buying for the mission mode which is missing in the 360 port and Bangai-O is like nothing else.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Well, first, start with awesome non-niche arcade titles: you need Crazy Taxi, 18 Wheeler, Outrigger, and Virtua Tennis 2.

Then I hope you like fighting games and shmups, because the system is choke full of them, and they are perfect conversions.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a Power Stone game before so I'll probably do that as well.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody told me that Bangai-O doesn't work with VGA! I guess there's nothing I can do about that? Anyway, some pictures of my OSSC and VGA cable teaming up.

icfmiLw.jpg

1JtGxcPjk4xHkxsT6RaFax6LBfzkeSj5I1xPbOmN0Jj1NseUOUlE8fXlPXarUIFSabRNh2LjJcJBM1BipEXHQ-vjbdmdJPg_KVyFYOCJKwYR6-Fqw8Maa8q0OIT3yb01B4FBkpBeVPS-7obENrLwX4ub0whZTzMDTDkE26EEDfT33Hu8jkeyQtjGP3856mFIQocMikLxBZ_5oSmR7M2zy1Zllc0p-22zrZtzvYNYag_fR0vH8T3xzuaM_TxIkJTqAYpKgWrr5BcnJoSx8-bji9XImFD7ywaHZL371C_CyGd9n2YY2HgdUNSQ-AEjY1ZoGve6E0n4AfdmMYHyPZqhq6fR5SY0giwQvIJ1aJJJZJNAZkUmgeGDfjzvVvS7zpkCMHgaH0tCm9zFFVP4z0kxhYL3BWxMgZYiX4I-4_jTtSziTHEmPJzw_WCS83gO9VGyvkGXQGRR1qAhfkdyke4oEEUjr0658-wl4RJvMlub8rvepTaRgBFYnmw4MmS79bVX8LA1Q2sWv9v4R4naY4frWSg9LZ92S2YVPgBWUlTOQWOhwvqqFI9_Bermnm4VmIynBGRyLJlSA2kcMsA8M5QlNTzAxtARUw5_1PDVCMV6NIEX5rNwqBpXgDCYKj3xvy9LBTUEwQujQLaKhlAFJJVx_xfqPvwYNEY=w1110-h832-no

Maken X will be here in the mail next week.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
First time with Shenmue. I had Shenmue II on Xbox but I got stuck around halfway and never finished it.

I've already screwed up and gave a stray kitten tofu instead of fish. I feel like a monster.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this device mentioned on the last page and this popped up on Twitter today-

"USB-GDROM USERS BEWARE: Your firmware will eventually "expire". That means technically you're not "purchasing a product", you're "renting" it for the duration of time mnemo supports the firmware"

"A different user has emailed mnemo and he once again confirmed the "time bomb" is true, but claims he'll be releasing firmware in the future to disable it"

Just a heads up. Apologies if this is old.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I saw this device mentioned on the last page and this popped up on Twitter today-

"USB-GDROM USERS BEWARE: Your firmware will eventually "expire". That means technically you're not "purchasing a product", you're "renting" it for the duration of time mnemo supports the firmware"

"A different user has emailed mnemo and he once again confirmed the "time bomb" is true, but claims he'll be releasing firmware in the future to disable it"

Just a heads up. Apologies if this is old.

That's a pretty terrible practice and I would be weary of anything produced by those people going forward. Wow. Glad I've been able to get a GDEmu.

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
How is this even possible, and what is a GDEmu?
GDEMU is an sd card reader that replaces the Dreamcasts GD-Drive, its difficult to buy as the maker only sells them in very brief pre-order windows. There's several clones of the GDEMU at the moment as well, but I wouldn't recommend them, as it doesn't appear to be possible to update thier firmware (also personally I'd rather support the original designer).

Who here has played through Segaga? Just ordered it and I'm wondering how difficult the simulation part is without reading fluent Japanese....

Seems like an absolutely bizarre game, can't wait to play it!
I'm mostly just in it for the experience and the mini-games...