• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So apparently Sega filed a new trademark for Sakura Wars and it's the first time they used the English title
instead of the Japanese one which is サクラ大戦(Sakura Taisen)

Is this maybe a sign that the new game will have a western release or maybe even better, the older tittles
will come as well?

https://www.j-platpat.inpit.go.jp/web/TR/JP4_2019030081/8CE1C67D6C97C256E30CBACF914F98D5

D1l9Js7XQAAECsC.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017
They did something similar with "Sakura Wars World Project" almost 20 years ago, which went absolutely nowhere, I'd not be too excited

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
To be fair, it seemed kinda obvious with the current Sega and how it was announced that the new game would be localized.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it seemed kinda obvious with the current Sega and how it was announced that the new game would be localized.
Yeah, exactly. This an important enough franchise that they'd be crazy not to try and get the West into anyway.

I'm fiending to actually see it though.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Yeah, now that Sega has Atlus USA they literally have no excuse. I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus USA dropping out of localising third party titles is so they can focus entirely on Sega owned stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
They did something similar with "Sakura Wars World Project" almost 20 years ago, which went absolutely nowhere, I'd not be too excited

I'm still upset about that. The Sakura Wars 1 remake was announced with it and it was supposed to get localized, but it and the 1+2 Dreamcast ports for the PSP were essentially not approved for release because they had too much text to be a video game or something along those lines.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it gets localized. But I won't get my hopes too high up until they make the actual announcement.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me to see this new entry localized. Hopefully this is also a sign that we'll get the first footage at SegaFes.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure when they announced that a new SW was coming they stated they were looking to bring it to all regions. But yes I am quite ready for more info.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The last time Sega released SW in yhe west, they were so determined to make something that appeals to westerners that it appealed to nobody. Hopefully they learned the lesson.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I mean...we did get Sakura Was 5 in the long run out of this project and Sega did try back then to bring the franchise in the West.
They just handled it poorly :P.
I wouldn't say try when Sakura Wars 5 was released 6 years after the Japanese release, and that it wasn't even them who localized it, but Nisa. Though, releasing it in 2010 wasn't the reason for it bombimg in the states, but more porting the game to Wii.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say try when Sakura Wars 5 was released 6 years after the Japanese release, and that it wasn't even them who localized it, but Nisa. Though, releasing it in 2010 wasn't the reason for it bombimg in the states, but more porting the game to Wii.
And according to NISA it was Red that approached them, not Sega. Which is why I always found it interesting that Sega felt the need to release three niche Japanese games the same month as Sakura Wars, including a massive rush job on Yakuza 3.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Atlus USA is all over this. They're bringing over pretty much all Sega's console RPGs now (Valkyria, Yakuza, Shining). Well, except PSO2.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I'm glad it looks like Sega will bring the new Sakura Taisen overseas. It was a huge series in Japan for a decade and we knew nothing of it over here.

I just hope Sega doesn't cast someone who's going to be found knee-deep in a mound of coke.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Possibly but I sadly doubt it would get localised. Companies are ridiculously hesitant to localsie old games that get re-released. See the Seiken Densetsu collection.
Sega's done it before though (Monster World IV) and are probably doing it again (Sega Ages Puyo Puyo 2).

Also Collection of Mana is a thing going by recent trademarks so never say never...

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Sega's done it before though (Monster World IV) and are probably doing it again (Sega Ages Puyo Puyo 2).

Also Collection of Mana is a thing going by recent trademarks so never say never...
Yeah, but Sakura Wars is more similar to visual novel with how much text each game has. The gameplay itself is more of an extra thing you do between each episode, and not its main focus. I really doubt they would go to the effort of localizing 4 games and releasing it as a collection pack.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but Sakura Wars is more similar to visual novel with how much text each game has. The gameplay itself is more of an extra thing you do between each episode, and not its main focus. I really doubt they would go to the effort of localizing 4 games and releasing it as a collection pack.
Probably not a collection but maybe individual remakes or remasters.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yes, please Sega let it be true. If for some reason it ends up being just a Asian English translation, I am going to import the hell out of it.

Maturra

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seriously excited for this (as if the avatar wasn't a dead giveaway!). I can't wait to see what awaits for the franchise, or where they plan to take things nearly 15 years after the release of Sakura Wars 5.

Sorry to butt in, here; what you're thinking of was the "Sakura Taisen World Project." - This appears to be the first time that Sega's ever specifically registered "Sakura Wars" as a trademark in Japan, though they have used the English title on CD cases and packaging in the past.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the biggest Sakura Wars fan, but I'd be down for a new game... can't be worse than the Wii one!

God damn split personality cow girls...

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I just looked up the ages of the former casts, and holy crap I thought everyone was in their twenties. Turns out nearly everyone is 16-19.