• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's some Sega event coming up at the end of the month right?

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
There's some Sega event coming up at the end of the month right?

Yep, SegaFes starts on the 30th! Last year they announced more Sega Ages titles, the new Sakura Wars game, and Shenmue 1 and 2 HD. Hopefully we'll get some more neat announcements this year too.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, SegaFes starts on the 30th! Last year they announced more Sega Ages titles, the new Sakura Wars game, and Shenmue 1 and 2 HD. Hopefully we'll get some more neat announcements this year too.

And Segata Sanshiro is there so fingers crossed for some Saturn stuff.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I am very interested to see what they could do with a current gen Sakura Wars game since the last one was released almost 14 years ago on the ps2.

This is the series started my interest in srpgs an visual-novel type games.

OP
OP
Eien1no1Yami

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Confirmation for this?

Sega hasn't really done anything "high end" outside of maybe Yakuza, which is a lot of re-used assets.

It is confirmed that Sakura Wars is developed by the Valkyria team, so expect a similar quality at least in terms of performance and some gameplay elements.

Just keep in mind that Sakura Wars is also a VN for the most part which means that art-direction, music and voice dialogue/writing is
the focus of "high quality"

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Didn't the Wii game sell decently?
I imagine if this does happen it'll sell more in the west anyways

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Sakura Wars before but if this is similar to Valkyria Chronicles then I'll for sure be interested in it. (as long as it has a PS4 version)

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
are there even enough fanbased in the west for such games? If i remember correctly, sakura wars is a combination of turn-based Strategy RPG + Dating Sims, right?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
are there even enough fanbased in the west for such games? If i remember correctly, sakura wars is a combination of turn-based Strategy RPG + Dating Sims, right?
Also very high quality music, etc. I dunno, it's a weird series that I can see building a fanbase like Persona.
Confirmation for this?

Sega hasn't really done anything "high end" outside of maybe Yakuza, which is a lot of re-used assets.
Nagoshi made it sound like they were taking it extremely seriously / making something especially big when he talked about it a few months ago.

T9SUICM.jpg

There's another interview where he mentions being surprised by the quality of what the team is doing.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Also very high quality music, etc. I dunno, it's a weird series that I can see building a fanbase like Persona.

Nagoshi made it sound like they were taking it extremely seriously / making something especially big when he talked about it a few months ago.

T9SUICM.jpg

There's another interview where he mentions being surprised by the quality of what the team is doing.
maybe sega is 'rejuvenated' by the recent efforts of capcom to return to its glory days.

OP
OP
Eien1no1Yami

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I've never played Sakura Wars before but if this is similar to Valkyria Chronicles then I'll for sure be interested in it. (as long as it has a PS4 version)

Keep in mind that the battle system of the previous ST games was very primitive and it only had the most basic mechanics of what VC ended up being.
Also the games didn't have any kind of upgrading or level up system.The performance of your unit was affected only by the choices you did in the VN part of the game.
Furthermore all of the games were pretty easy and there is no difficulty to choose from.

Here is a video showing a little bit of the combat.

So you can see that the combat albeit simple it's still fun and one of the most cool aspets of it are the Hissatsu moves which
are like special moves your character can do if he/she fills up a meter.

Here is a video showing most of the Hissatsu in Sakura Wars 3.

Edit:Man, by seeing the Hissatsu again I hope they do them justice in the new again, they are so cool.
Such a great series, so many feelings...

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that the battle system of the previous ST games was very primitive and it only had the most basic mechanics of what VC ended up being.
Also the games didn't have any kind of upgrading or level up system.The performance of your unit was affected only by the choices you did in the VN part of the game.
Furthermore all of the games were pretty easy and there is no difficulty to choose from.

Here is a video showing a little bit of the combat.

So you can see that the combat albeit simple it's still fun and one of the most cool aspets of it are the Hissatsu moves which
are like special moves your character can do if he/she fills up a meter.

Here is a video showing most of the Hissatsu in Sakura Wars 3.

Edit:Man, by seeing the Hissatsu again I hope they do them justice in the new again, they are so cool.
Such a great series, so many feelings...

I'm assuming/hoping that since it's been 14 years since the last entry, they make the game more modernize and more similar to VC. I'll def keep an eye on the game either way tho.

OP
OP
Eien1no1Yami

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I'm assuming/hoping that since it's been 14 years since the last entry, they make the game more modernize and more similar to VC. I'll def keep an eye on the game either way tho.
I'm also hoping they upgrade their system now that they have something solid like Valkyria but honestly don't expect it to have the
same depth or difficulty.Sakura Wars is not popular for it's gameplay mechanics but for its characters and writing.
The exact oposite of Valkyria Chronicles :P

Edit: Here are some more Hissatsu moves, this time from Sakura Wars 2 :P

Last edited:

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
God I wish I coulda finished the last game. But iirc correctly it was one of the few double layered Wii disks (or something like that) and my Wii stopped reading those kinds of disks (same thing happened with my copy of Brawl).

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Didn't the Wii game sell decently?
I imagine if this does happen it'll sell more in the west anyways
No, it bombed horribly in the west, while the PS2 actually sold more than they expected. The Wii wasn't kind to these type of niche games, but even so the Wii port was below average, as it had bugs that weren't in the PS2 version, like the game sometimes crashing when continuing from a mid-battle save, unnecessary motion controls force into the game when not during battle, and it sorely missing the Japanese sub that the PS2 version had, and they compensated this by it being 10$ cheaper.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
No, it bombed horribly in the west, while the PS2 actually sold more than they expected. The Wii wasn't kind to these type of niche games, but even so the Wii port was below average, as it had bugs that weren't in the PS2 version, like the game sometimes crashing when continuing from a mid-battle save, unnecessary motion controls force into the game when not during battle, and it sorely missing the Japanese sub that the PS2 version had, and they compensated this by it being 10$ cheaper.
Ah I see
Though I still imagine it doing well today, in NA, especially if it gets a switch release
The response towards jrpgs is good again it seems

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
they already improved the battle system greatly when they released Sakura Taisen 5 in 2005

of course you should expect a complete revamp of the whole mechanics by now, special since the next title called Shin Sakura Taisen.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't mind a rerelease of the old games with the new one. Certainly feels like now's the time to do it. They can skip 5 though.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Woah, this was totally unexpected. Never got into the series when I found out about it(I was too much of a Square fan at the time), but would be willing to give it a try now.

Maturra

Oct 27, 2017
The English titles have been published on the spines of the games' cases through the course of the franchise, but this appears to be the first time that their English titles have been published by a western branch of Sega, if I'm not mistaken?

Edit: I am mistaken. The spines for Sakura Wars 2, 3, and 4 only display the main titles in English and omit the subtitles.

Last edited: