• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
So PC is listed but isn't this just a collection of what they already have on Steam? I wonder if this just means they're going to add a bundle to Steam and GOG whereas previously it was all just available piecemeal and only on Steam?

At a guess, it's going to be as is but updated with the new features (rewind, mirror mode [whatever that is], online play). Hopefully some optimisation too, I remember having hitches with it and I've heard of others having similar problems. I can't really see the sales model changing.

EDIT: Oh I forgot about the achievements, aye maybe it will be a single release.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Well that's why I'm wondering if on Steam maybe a lot of these new features will just roll into what's currently on Steam via a patch and this collection will just be treated like a bundle?

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Which is why I said "almost"... and somehow missed the word all that was supposed to follow it :P

My point still stands. Most of the time when Capcom or Sega is releasing some kind of retro compilation it's made by Capcom USA or Sega of America.

You said SoJ don't care about their retro games but otherwise they woudn't have an archive page, or a producer (Yosuke Okunari) that is dedicated to bring old games to new platforms.

Jan 11, 2018
You said SoJ don't care about their retro games but otherwise they woudn't have an archive page, or a producer (Yosuke Okunari) that is dedicated to bring old games to new platforms.

Geez. You're making a hen out of a feather here. Let me do it over, if you're going to be that anal about the words I choose instead of just looking at the point I'm trying to get across: SoJ certainly don't care as much as SoA when it comes to preserving their legacy with retro compilations. The proof is in the pudding. It's great that they put out the 3D classics, although one could argue those are remakes or at the very least enhanced ports. Yet they had nothing to do with the collections for Dreamcast, GBA, PS2, PSP, PS3, 360 or Steam. Or the new ones. As far as I know, they had nothing to do with the mini-consoles either.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Geez. You're making a hen out of a feather here. Let me do it over, if you're going to be that anal about the words I choose instead of just looking at the point I'm trying to get across: SoJ certainly don't care as much as SoA when it comes to preserving their legacy with retro compilations. The proof is in the pudding. It's great that they put out the 3D classics, although one could argue those are remakes or at the very least enhanced ports. Yet they had nothing to do with the collections for Dreamcast, GBA, PS2, PSP, PS3, 360 or Steam. Or the new ones. As far as I know, they had nothing to do with the mini-consoles either.

All Genesis compilations. They always released them in the West only, which is what I said.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
S3&K remaster coming soon or something? Bizarre it's not being included.

Jan 11, 2018
A large margin would also not be correct

Remakes don't count when it comes to the issue of preserving legacy. Capcom is by far the worse offender of the two though. However, my point isn't that these do not do anything, but that their western divisions are doing stuff that by all means should be handled by the Japanese branch. Like why do we keep getting American made Genesis collections, none of which ever make it to to Japan? Doesn't this strike you as odd? o_O

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy has the game up for pre-order. It's going for $29.99 (GCU price is $21.99). Here are the links directly:PlayStation 4Xbox One
Wow, it actually is selling for $30, which drops it to $24 for Prime & GCU. I'm kind of surprised. Depending on what else there is that month/coming up, I might just give in & get this at launch. Though I imagine most people waiting for it to drop to $20.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
Loss of Ecco is huge, and to date there's no genesis collection that includes Rocket Knight. Bummer drummer. Those are two games I really want to play honestly.

Jan 11, 2018
It is odd, seems like the Japanese want them too since I have seen JP wikipedia pages made on them (likely information for importers)

This is also how we end up with Japanese fans being upset over the content of these collections. Most recently there was an uproar regarding the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection and how it did not feature any of the Japanese arcade versions - but then, why is it that only Capcom USA cares to put something like this together and not Capcom Japan? It seems to me there is a bigger retro scene in the west. My speculation is also that this is why so many Japanese companies have felt like cheap looking polygon remakes of old classics is an "improvement" over the old pixels because they don't see the latter as "art" to the same extent we do? Like Rondo of Blood 2.5 or any of the Sega Ages releases on PS2 that updated the look of the arcade versions. Whenever I read interviews with Japanese developers who've done something like this to their old games they always say they've managed to make the games look modern and better (!), and hope that the fans will enjoy it.

(Also, I still want the other two 3DS collections to make their way over here!)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Remakes don't count when it comes to the issue of preserving legacy. Capcom is by far the worse offender of the two though. However, my point isn't that these do not do anything, but that their western divisions are doing stuff that by all means should be handled by the Japanese branch. Like why do we keep getting American made Genesis collections, none of which ever make it to to Japan? Doesn't this strike you as odd? o_O
3D Classics aren't remakes btw, they're emulated roms that M2's actually gone back into and altered the code to make work in 3D and add new play modes. They're incredibly faithful yet with great additions too.

Sega Japan puts in orders of magnitude more work into preserving their legacy games, and their releases are incomparably higher quality. The only thing that comes close from Sega West are the Taxman Sonics, which actually are full remakes. Sega Japan also doesn't always just go back to Genesis, they've done SMS, Game Gear and a bunch of arcade boards (System-16, XY/Superscaler, Model 2, etc). And they've also done this on a bunch of systems too: PS2, Wii, PS3, 360, 3DS.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Last edited:

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Wow, it actually is selling for $30, which drops it to $24 for Prime & GCU. I'm kind of surprised. Depending on what else there is that month/coming up, I might just give in & get this at launch. Though I imagine most people waiting for it to drop to $20.

Launches confirmed for May in the U.S.:

May 4: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
May 8: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
May 10: One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe Edition
May 15: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
May 15: Dragon's Crown Pro
May 18: Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
May 22: State of Decay 2
May 22: Tennis World Tour
May 22: Mega Man Legacy Collection [Switch]
May 22: Runner3
May 25: Dark Souls: Remastered
May 25: Detroit: Become Human
May 29: Sega Genesis Classics
May ??: Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
May ??: Harvest Moon: Light of Hope

And then just ahead of that:

June 5: BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle
June 5: Onrush
June 5: Vampyr

It's a fairly busy time.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
May: The Month of Ports & Remakes

....no seriously, 9 of those games that month that I recognize are ports, remakes, or collections, damn.

But if it's a week before BlazBlue, then I might as well just wait considering I played Ultimate Genesis Collection on both PS3 & 360. Some of the new titles interest me, of course I'll play Gunstar Heroes on the...what, 5th console now (Genesis, Wii VC, 360, & 3DS), & Alien Soldier will be interesting to revisit.

OP
OP
Virtua Sanus

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
My theory for the games that are being removed is that they will only be accessible through the simple launcher after the update goes through on PC. Or maybe they will just continue to sell all of the removed games on Steam and act like nothings changed? I wish we could just get specific details because it is a pain that so many of these collections are missing different handfuls of games.

The loss of the Ecco games is really killing me. It would be such a shock to me if SEGA just no longer has that IP (especially as it seems to be potentially on negative terms). To me that would be like Nintendo just casually losing Metroid over night. I was so used to having the first game being ported to every platform under the sun, too.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So, about the Steam version, the official Sega press release says this:

As if that wasn't enough to see retro fans through to The End of the Millennium, players of the SEGA Mega Drive Classics on Steam will also be treated to The Treasures of King Nole in the form of a huge free update to the feature set, giving it parity with the console launch when it releases on May 29, 2018.

When this Steam update occurs, I doubt that they will remove S3&K, Ecco and Eternal Champions.
But I wonder if those games will still be compatible with the new features, like online play.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they've got a dedicated Sonic collection planned, with Mania on disc being its strongest selling point?
Sonic Retro Collection by Whitehead & Co.

Retro Engine ports

Packaged & digital

Switch, PS4, Xbox One, Steam

Summer 2018

Includes:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic CD (hidden game)
  • Knuckles Chaotix (hidden game)
  • Ristar (hidden game)

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
This is also how we end up with Japanese fans being upset over the content of these collections. Most recently there was an uproar regarding the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection and how it did not feature any of the Japanese arcade versions - but then, why is it that only Capcom USA cares to put something like this together and not Capcom Japan? It seems to me there is a bigger retro scene in the west. My speculation is also that this is why so many Japanese companies have felt like cheap looking polygon remakes of old classics is an "improvement" over the old pixels because they don't see the latter as "art" to the same extent we do? Like Rondo of Blood 2.5 or any of the Sega Ages releases on PS2 that updated the look of the arcade versions. Whenever I read interviews with Japanese developers who've done something like this to their old games they always say they've managed to make the games look modern and better (!), and hope that the fans will enjoy it.

(Also, I still want the other two 3DS collections to make their way over here!)

Mega Man: Powered Up! Is amaaaaaaazing though.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My theory for the games that are being removed is that they will only be accessible through the simple launcher after the update goes through on PC. Or maybe they will just continue to sell all of the removed games on Steam and act like nothings changed? I wish we could just get specific details because it is a pain that so many of these collections are missing different handfuls of games.

The loss of the Ecco games is really killing me. It would be such a shock to me if SEGA just no longer has that IP (especially as it seems to be potentially on negative terms). To me that would be like Nintendo just casually losing Metroid over night. I was so used to having the first game being ported to every platform under the sun, too.
Yeah, no Ecco sucks. No S3&K is what's killing me tho. Sonic is Sega's biggest IP, and S3&K are the best games in the series (well, pre-Mania, anyway). How could they just be excluded like that? I really don't get it. It's pretty disappointing at any rate. Also, still no way to play the Taxman ports of S1 and 2 except Mobile. :/

Retro Engine ports

Packaged & digital

Summer 2018

Includes:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic CD (hidden game)
  • Ristar (hidden game)
Yeah, this the dream. Somehow, I really doubt it tho. :(

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Retro Engine ports

Packaged & digital

Summer 2018

Includes:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic CD (hidden game)
  • Ristar (hidden game)

Why would you hide the best game?

But still, Sega, my money is here for this!

Jan 11, 2018
Mega Man: Powered Up! Is amaaaaaaazing though.

Oh, don't get me wrong! I'm not saying these can't be fun games. But better looking than the originals? Well, maybe you could argue MMPU is easier on the eyes than an old NES game, but most of the time these games are just downgrades to everyone but the developers. It's not just the 2.5D stuff though, but also things like Square Enix mobile ports. I genuinely believe that they think all those vaseline filters (CT) and RPG maker sprites (FFVI) makes the games look better than the originals.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Retro Engine ports

Packaged & digital

Summer 2018

Includes:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic CD (hidden game)
  • Ristar (hidden game)
I'd love to see this being true. Retro Engine based Ristar, is something I didnt know I wanted so bad

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017

Retro Engine ports

Packaged & digital

Summer 2018

Includes:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic CD (hidden game)
  • Ristar (hidden game)

Damn, now I'm going to be disappointed when they don't announce this at today's Sonic conference. :(

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
I've purchased these games so many times lol. Wonder if there's any substantial update / games added to the PC collection, if it's a free update on pc, or if they'll charge.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Oh, don't get me wrong! I'm not saying these can't be fun games. But better looking than the originals? Well, maybe you could argue MMPU is easier on the eyes than an old NES game, but most of the time these games are just downgrades to everyone but the developers. It's not just the 2.5D stuff though, but also things like Square Enix mobile ports. I genuinely believe that they think all those vaseline filters (CT) and RPG maker sprites (FFVI) makes the games look better than the originals.

I do agree with you with the Sega 3D classics and some of the PSP and DS remakes of games are less desirable than presenting the intact originals. Rough and jagged polygons with horrible textures or under detailed 3D work are aesthetic steps down. However, I feel like at this point and time in tech, developers are able to produce really good looking remasters/remakes that preserve the original gameplay and faithfully represent the type of graphics and details that the original developers would have wanted. Crash N-Sane Trilogy comes to mind.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh, not really. It being available on Steam is more the exception than the rule.

I don't think so. It's on XBLA, PSN, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, DS, Wii and PC (long before the Steam release).

S3&K wasn't on the Sonic Genesis Collection for PS360, but Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were individually. Digital Eclipse gave some poor excuse for not offering lock-on.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. It's on XBLA, PSN, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, DS, Wii and PC (long before the Steam release).

S3&K wasn't on the Sonic Genesis Collection for PS360, but Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were individually. Digital Eclipse gave some poor excuse for not offering lock-on.
I believe the Steam version was its last release before Sega stopped doing anything with Sonic 3. They're probably allowed to do anything with the versions they've already released but can't make new ones at all, so it's pointless to expect any sort of Sonic 3 release until they resolve whatever legal hurdle the game is linked to (if at all possible).