• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Really close to pulling the trigger on this. It looks like Amazon put a Prime preorder discount on it too. The addition of online co-op is probability what's going to sell me on it. Emulation in videos so far looks pretty alright. Better than previous console compilations at least.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Um oh wow. It looks like the collection is out of stock/sold out for PS4 on Amazon. It was available to preorder earlier today, and now it's showing unavailable (in the US).

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Cannot believe they took out Echo.... UGH and Sonic 3 WHY?!!?

Still need this though, loved my Genesis as a youngling, so young and innocent, unknowing of the cruel cruel world that lies ahead..!

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Sega would work out some sort of deal with Codemasters to get the Micro Machines games on this thing, they were always a big plus for the system back in the day and were superior to the SNES versions, which didn't even get Micro machines '96 which was the high point of the series imo.
Possibly the best local multiplayer game ever.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Sega would work out some sort of deal with Codemasters to get the Micro Machines games on this thing, they were always a big plus for the system back in the day and were superior to the SNES versions, whicj didn't even get Micro machines '96 which was the high point of the series imo.

Fingers crossed for DLC

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
Another video, this guy shows off the whole interface first of all then runs through the entire list of games.
You'll notice that as he scrolls through the games a lot of them have an option for extras and a handful of them have an option for region select.
I also personally think that the bottom "shelf" looks conspicuously empty, not that it necessarily means anything.

Nice to see a region select on Alien Soldier.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Are they decent emulations? I know this is redundant buying this on a PC but fuck it. Its been cheap on sales.
The audio quality still isn't right, but you *can* use a fan-made program to extract the roms for use with other emulators if you prefer. The audio quality issues are more noticeable in certain games. The upcoming console version seems to have the same issue, assuming that the sound clips used in the trailer are indicative of how the respective sounds will sound in each game.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Any update on Sonic 3 & Knuckles ie why it got left off, if it could be updated or added, if we will ever get an additional port/remake for current gen systems in any other form?

Without looking at the game list I stupidly assumed it would be included and have been looking forward to having that in this collection the most.

...that and the Ecco games.

Damn it.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Weird, it had the discount before when I ordered it (a few weeks back). Not looking forward to playing tag with Prime discounts moving forward, it already takes them a week or two to apply them to newly announced games.
Yeah I don't know what's going on. Oh well, with the discount incentive gone I'll just walk over to GameStop tomorrow and preorder so I can pick up on release day.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

This guy shows the whole trophy list.
Personally I think it is super dissapointing. I really wanted an excuse to replay Shining Force series, Phantasy Star Series and Light Crusader. But there's only a trophy for beating the first act of Shining Force (if I remember correctly)

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Personally I think it is super dissapointing. I really wanted an excuse to replay Shining Force series, Phantasy Star Series and Light Crusader. But there's only a trophy for beating the first act of Shining Force (if I remember correctly)

Easy trophies are pretty expected in collections like this one, but it's always disappointing how many games don't have any trophies related to them.

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
So should I get this or the big collection already on steam? I'm confused. What is this exactly

I'm also wondering. About a year ago they had a big sale on the Genesis games on Steam and I bought all available. I've looked, but couldn't tell for sure if the new collection had any games that weren't on Steam.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Is there an actual list of these trophies rather than a video of some guy listing them off?

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
The PAL release was speed optimised though, but it is nice to have both versions available regardless.

Alas 50hz will be juddery on a modern display regardless of such optimisations, needs to be a clean 30 or 60fps. Similar issue with Virtual Boy emulation given that software was made for the system's 50hz display.

Super commendable on Soldier being optimised though, makes it one of the precious few Japanese developed MD games that received such treatment. For contrast, Vectorman came out in 1995 and had the gall to feature slowed down music D:

Nooooo columns trophy again...

It'll give you a chance to appreciate one of the MD's more unsung tunes ;D

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Alas 50hz will be juddery on a modern display regardless of such optimisations, needs to be a clean 30 or 60fps.

Yeah, I know. Just saying that at least the PAL version wasn't bad, for a PAL conversion.

Super commendable on Soldier being optimised though, makes it one of the precious few Japanese developed MD games that received such treatment. For contrast, Vectorman came out in 1995 and had the gall to even have its music slowed down D:

Tell me about it. As a European gamer I rarely buy European non-HD console games. The exceptions are Dreamcast, Wii and (whenever I get around to start collecting for it) the OG Xbox which all had healthy 60 hz support over here. We still have to deal with this shit as Sony is using the 50 Hz conversions as the base for their European PS2-on-PS4 titles...

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is the boxart good looking/has a manual at least? I own all the games on steam, but still would love to have a disc on my ps4

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Tell me about it. As a European gamer I rarely buy European non-HD console games. The exceptions are Dreamcast, Wii and (whenever I get around to start collecting for it) the OG Xbox which all had healthy 60 hz support over here. We still have to deal with this shit as Sony is using the 50 Hz conversions as the base for their European PS2-on-PS4 titles...

Aye it's a major pain when it comes to collecting, noone should have to play 50hz games these days but with certain systems if you want original hardware + games it's tricky to avoid.

I'm not really buying these days but during my collecting phase I did get Mega Drive + SNES + Saturn modded for switchless 60Hz. Was a treat for the former as many PAL MD games can just be forced into 60hz no problem, along with essentially the entire Master System library via Power Base converter. Ironically that's where the games being unoptimised is useful, as 'fixed' games will get glitches or run too fast in 60hz, or in a few cases play fine but have sped up music.

To bring this back on topic, I'm glad we seem to be far from the days of Wii VC with Sega rereleases, where even the bloody import-only titles were forced at 50hz through the emulator D: What a crime to do that to Musha and Pulstar...

Jan 11, 2018
At least it seems they used Mega Drive logos whenever possible for the European version this time around though. The previous collections basically just said Mega Drive on the box art but in-game it was all Genesis. The posters on the "room" serving as the hub show both Mega Drive and Genesis art too.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I wish Sega would work out some sort of deal with Codemasters to get the Micro Machines games on this thing, they were always a big plus for the system back in the day and were superior to the SNES versions, which didn't even get Micro machines '96 which was the high point of the series imo.

Would be great to finally get good Micro Machines on PS4.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
At least it seems they used Mega Drive logos whenever possible for the European version this time around though. The previous collections basically just said Mega Drive on the box art but in-game it was all Genesis. The posters on the "room" serving as the hub show both Mega Drive and Genesis art too.
Well the dev is British so not too much surprise there. Last time was a US dev.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
If you're wondering the collection is missing:
  • Ecco Jr.
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Ecco: The Tides of Time
  • Eternal Champions
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  • Sonic CD (Retroengine native port)
  • VectorMan 2
Is Sonic CD playable on the present "virtual room" in Steam?

Also, I'm still sad I won't be able to play Eternal Champions online...

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Trophy list looks good to me. Lots of variety and different games covered. Doesn't look like there are any really frustrating trophies to get, depending on how the challenges are.