• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Again, what's with the hyperboles. They're flawed. Most games seem to run fine. It's of course annoying that some have issues, but that doesn't make them "trash", "unplayable" or whatever hyperbolic nonsense you wanna call it.

The audio is as important as the visuals for those of us who grew up with these games. If the Master Chief Collection featured music played in the wrong key or played on a piano that was completely out of tune I wouldn't tolerate that either.

I also don't think that Mega Drive games should be stuttering on current gen hardware.

OP
OP
Virtua Sanus

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, as someone who is very passionate about a huge amount of these games I actually quite appreciate the effort here. We have loads of fantastic extra features and now even online play. I very much doubt the vast majority of the people playing these understand or care about a lot of the emulation related issues and I would make a hard bet that most people buying this actually like that awful shitty smear filter.

I do wish they would bring in stuff like the Technosoft games and the newly translated Monster World IV. I am sure there are logistics around those games and stuff like OutRun and Super Hang-On not being part of this collection, but it is a serious downer they keep missing out on these collections. At least The Revenge of Shinobi is never going to be omitted again though.

The loss of Ecco is seriously bumming me out though. They even removed the dolphin plush from the hub! Everyone I talk to has no idea or refuse to discuss what happened with that IP.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, what's with the hyperboles. They're flawed. Most games seem to run fine. It's of course annoying that some have issues, but that doesn't make them "trash", "unplayable" or whatever hyperbolic nonsense you wanna call it.
Er... We are in 2018. People are wasting money to rebuy a very very old game. Emulation from today runs those games like a dream. Shame its you calling someone hyperbole. Sound bugs its a problem easy to fix and SEGA just ignore.
They have years to fixed a ALREADY reported bug.
If you think this is fine ok, buy the game and have fun. For me the most important aspect from a classic game are the sound.
Until the bug its not fixed people have the right to call this collection trash. Its not a modern game, its a very old knowed trick SEGA always does every time a new console come. You know what? PS5/XboxNext will come and they will re-launch again with the same issues.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The loss of Ecco is seriously bumming me out though. They even removed the dolphin plush from the hub! Everyone I talk to has no idea or refuse to discuss what happened with that IP.

Ed Annunziata took Sega to court over the ownership rights and they reached a settlement about eighteen months ago. They probably aren't allowed to talk about it either way, but you can infer the outcome from the exclusion of those games on this compilation and other venues.

Jan 11, 2018
Er... We are in 2018. People are wasting money to rebuy a very very old game. Emulation from today runs those games like a dream. Shame its you calling someone hyperbole. Sound bugs its a problem easy to fix and SEGA just ignore.

Yes, because "trash" is an obvious hyperbole. Like the review a few posts above said; nitpickers will not be happy but the average consumer will.

If you think this is fine ok, buy the game and have fun. For me the most important aspect from a classic game are the sound.

I've mentioned my gripe with devs not being able to get such simple things right in 2018 multiple times. It's a flawed product if you were looking to buy a collection with the definitive ports on it. Doesn't mean there's zero entertainment value to be found. Again, we only know of a couple of games having issues. For all we know, the majority of them work just fine (until proven otherwise).

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
If one game has inaccurate sound then they all do. They're not going to make bespoke emulators for each game with different sound emulation, that would be crazy.

OP
OP
Virtua Sanus

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Ed Annunziata took Sega to court over the ownership rights and they reached a settlement about eighteen months ago. They probably aren't allowed to talk about it either way, but you can infer the outcome from the exclusion of those games on this compilation and other venues.
I did hear about that but the results are quite confusing to me. If he were to just obtain the full rights (which does not make sense to me considering there are many games he had nothing to do with, such as the Dreamcast game) why are several of the games still available digitally? Ecco was also extremely prominent in the SEGA Forever reveal trailer a few months ago.

It gives me bad vibes that nothing changed and both parties just hate one another now. SEGA pretty famously treated the creator of ToeJam & Earl like trash but they were able to work things out in the end. I love the stuff Ed does, so I would hate to hear something like he is blocking the games from ever being released again somehow.

I noticed a Vortex Drone is in the background of the website for this collection. I imagine Ecco stuff was removed quite late for that to slip through.

If one game has inaccurate sound then they all do. They're not going to make bespoke emulators for each game with different sound emulation, that would be crazy.
Technically it depends on what sound channels the emulator has to access, so some might be entirely fine or seemingly amplified in awfulness if they were designed around that. A lot of the older games usually come out worse because of this.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Sound issues, and a lack of Phantasy Star 1 makes this hard to justify for me personally. I'll pick it up when the price drops, or I can get it used for cheap.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Technically it depends on what sound channels the emulator has to access, so some might be entirely fine or seemingly amplified in awfulness if they were designed around that. A lot of the older games usually come out worse because of this.

Yeah it's all about degrees of bad in practice either due to the sound channels or familiarity (I don't think it's any coincidence that Sonic 1 is the litmus test for Mega Drive sound emulation) but ultimately all will be inaccurate and it will be obvious to anyone who has played the games on original hardware (or on any half decent emulator for that matter) recently enough for the memories to be fresh.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't the ROMs just plainly available when this is installed so you can just run then in a better emulator if you want?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Still, with near-30-year-old games at this point, I'm starting to expect pitch perfect emulation.

I'll just hold out for M2's Switch versions.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Screw it. I'm keeping my preorder. Crossing my fingers and hoping for little to no input lag.

Whoever else is getting the collection on PS4, feel free to send me a pm for PSN info for some online co-op.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting this - the online and achievements are worth it for me, and the one Shining Force achievement finally is going to push me to finish the game I think.

Let's hope the online doesn't die in a month on Xbox One.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is, but this version is missing games, mods, and the "hub" graphics are far worse. The PC version will be updated with all console features May 29th, while retaining the missing games. Prob no multiplayer support, challenges, etc. for those tho.

Should I backup the rims in my existing steam version or will it not make a difference? Don't want to end up with worse versions lol

At least I won't lose S3&K

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Should I backup the rims in my existing steam version or will it not make a difference? Don't want to end up with worse versions lol

At least I won't lose S3&K

I don't think they're at liberty to actively remove your purchases. The game files should be the same.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Nope, but they still stuck it into the big Genesis collection from last gen as a bonus regardless.

7e9e20f77ffa624d28fa64630960a1e2.jpg

Phantasy Star 1 was released on the Mega Drive in Japan. But it was not a port. This version is just the Master System ROM shoved into a Mega Drive cartridge. The Genesis/ Mega Drive does have full hardware backwards compatibility with the Master System.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Nah. You can even still play the lock-on games on Xbox 360 (and Xbox One through b/c) and the Wii. It's the music.

If it was just a matter of not being able to figure out the lock-on tech, they could just include Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately like they did in the PS3/360 collections, or just the Sonic 3 & Knuckles ROM itself like in the old Steam collection.

cat sonic3.bin sonicknu.bin > sonic3nk.bin

That's pretty much the lock-on tech right there. If anything, I might have flipped the ROM order, but it's little more than merging the two ROMs into one.

With Sonic 2, there was also a patch ROM that was included.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
cat sonic3.bin sonicknu.bin > sonic3nk.bin

That's pretty much the lock-on tech right there. If anything, I might have flipped the ROM order, but it's little more than merging the two ROMs into one.

With Sonic 2, there was also a patch ROM that was included.
Sega: Too much work, enjoy this off-key rendition of Green Hill Zone