• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
They normally get added anywhere from one week to one month before actual release for a new game. Since this would be an update for the Steam release, I wouldn't expect an update on that until a day or two before the patch goes live. For the console version, however, the trophies will probably be loaded on the PSN about two weeks before release.

Presumably they'll be the same trophies/achievements across all platforms.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sort of an odd question - how finnicky are Genesis games on a modern controller? I'd probably pick it up for PC, but I use a 360 controller there, and I'm a bit worried that the translation from six face buttons will make games too wonky. How many games use them all regularly? I've never even touched a Sega console so I have no idea.

I've been meaning to grab a retro controller (probably 8bitdo) for a better D-pad, if that's a concern, too.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone ever rename all the characters from Shining Force 2?

Can be good fun.

My wife's been watching Greys anatomy non stop the past few weeks. Might go with the characters from that this time.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sort of an odd question - how finnicky are Genesis games on a modern controller? I'd probably pick it up for PC, but I use a 360 controller there, and I'm a bit worried that the translation from six face buttons will make games too wonky. How many games use them all regularly? I've never even touched a Sega console so I have no idea.

I've been meaning to grab a retro controller (probably 8bitdo) for a better D-pad, if that's a concern, too.
Only a handful of fighting games and late beatemups use the 6 button controller, and they generally have a 3 button config, for that matter these collections usually ignore the 6 button config, so shouldn't be a big issue

OP
OP
Virtua Sanus

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017

Most games in this collection were made with the three button controller in mind, and many of those games only actively focus on two buttons with the third button functioning similar to how many games used the select button on NES.

I play the current PC Genesis collection with an Xbox 360 controller all of the time and it has never been an issue. Most six button games can be formatted in a really intuitive way also, like in Beyond Oasis or Comix Zone you use the extra buttons to swap between items, so they fit really well on the left and right bumpers.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
An impossible dream, but one I dare to dream; what would it take to make Streets of Rage Remake an official thing? Because it's basically the Sonic Mania of the Streets of Rage pantheon.

Pinballsummer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Port begging.
Why would this not come to Switch? That's the only console I'd ever buy this on. Seems like a perfect fit for playing these old classics. Kind of surprised.

Last edited:

Pinballsummer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome that a legitimate observation on here justifies a warning.

Sorry, guess I should be more productive and go back to name-calling.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if Phantasy Star 2 will have the modifiers like in the PS2 AGES collection?
Specifically the ability to speed up movement speed?

Thanks and can't wait for this collection!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I pre-ordered this yesterday. $27 for some of my favourite games ever and with online multiplayer. <3

Pinballsummer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Port-begging has been prohibited here and on the old site for *years*

I'm new to gaming forums as of last year, so pardon my ignorance - but this is the first time I've ever heard the phrase 'port begging'.

The definition of begging doesn't really work here. I really don't care about this collection THAT much to BEG for it. I just thought it would be a good fit (probably going to get banned for saying this again) and am surprised.

WHOA BRO. WATCH THE PORT BEGGING.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't these achievements lists normally leak pretty early?

The last gen collection had pretty poor achievements as far as I remember.

Was it a poor list? I dunno, after looking at it it seems they awarded the players for actually doing some stuff in the games from the collection. Much better than trophy sets from Arcade Archives games (go through options, reset the game and post any high score and you're done - pathetic).

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I kinda want this collection but i really want some info on how good the emulation is. The last collection had some bad emulation, specialy in the sound department.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

All Genny games were made to support 3 buttons, and most only support 3 buttons. For the ones that will detect 6 buttons, like Comix Zone, you may have to tweak the buttons somewhat. But that's only for menu fuckery really.

Pinballsummer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ResetEra member that turned me on to this very forum SET THIS UP ON A CRT in our trailer today! Playing Street of Rage 2 in between shooting next felt so good.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Why would this not come to Switch? That's the only console I'd ever buy this on. Seems like a perfect fit for playing these old classics. Kind of surprised.
Your port begging aside, I'd assume that Sega will have different plans for Switch. Probably selling the games individually on the eshop or perhaps they'll be teaming up with Nintendo for some kind of Virtual Console revival.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Was it a poor list? I dunno, after looking at it it seems they awarded the players for actually doing some stuff in the games from the collection. Much better than trophy sets from Arcade Archives games (go through options, reset the game and post any high score and you're done - pathetic).

I haven't played many of the Arcade Archives but I agree that the ones I've played were pretty lame.

Still the old collections trophy list weren't much fun either.

I don't mind the boring easy ones if they're balanced with interesting hard ones.

Did any of them involve finishing a game? All I remember was lots of easy ones on early levels.

Pinballsummer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your port begging aside, I'd assume that Sega will have different plans for Switch. Probably selling the games individually on the eshop or perhaps they'll be teaming up with Nintendo for some kind of Virtual Console revival.

This made me LOL. Port begging. Such a terrible offense. Don't know what I was thinking!

Oct 28, 2017
you're getting M2 ports. If anyone should be port begging, it should be the PS4/XBone fans. You're getting the superior ports on your console yet you ask for the slop that is these? THAT should be the real warning.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't worry about it much. Most games on PSN has this for some reason even if they don't have any microtransactions.

The description of PSN games never seems to change once its been published. The size for instance is always wrong after a couple of updates. Maybe devs put the DLC thing in to give themselves the option later on.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
I haven't played many of the Arcade Archives but I agree that the ones I've played were pretty lame.

Still the old collections trophy list weren't much fun either.

I don't mind the boring easy ones if they're balanced with interesting hard ones.

Did any of them involve finishing a game? All I remember was lots of easy ones on early levels.
The only one for finishing a game was Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, I think.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No they won't. The games will be released individually on Switch and owners will end up paying 10 times the cost of this collection on other platforms.
Given the 3DS remaster prices it'll probably be $6 per MD game. They may also do collections for each wave like on 3DS but that's not confirmed.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed it, little ps+ discount too, 27 euro is a great price.
Hope I can finish NNK2 this month before DSR and Detroit drop, GoW will have to wait.