• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Not trying to port beg or derail thread, but what is the difference between this and the Sega AGES games announced for the Switch? Want to know if I should look forward to getting this or the Sega AGES games instead.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Not trying to port beg or derail thread, but what is the difference between this and the Sega AGES games announced for the Switch? Want to know if I should look forward to getting this or the Sega AGES games instead.

Sega Ages doesn't only cover Mega Drive, has better emulation, and if an arcade version exists, it is based on that istead. The individual releases are also more fully packed with the option of choosing different versions of the game and often adding features that previously didn't exist before. The M2 approach might be familar if you played the 3D Classics.
But it is 6 bucks per game.

The Sega Genesis Collection doesn't archieve excellence in emulation, but has rewind and online, and you get 50 games at once.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
I hope it will have Soleil (Crusader of Centy). It has be undeservedly left out of SEGA compilations thus far.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Backbone's not around any more, what do we know about the company doing the emulation for this collection on the PS4 version?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Backbone's not around any more, what do we know about the company doing the emulation for this collection on the PS4 version?

It's based on whatever SEGA Europe cooked up for PC. It's a Unity wrapper, but I don't know much about what's going on under the hood. It seems like standard emulation with the usual audio oddities in tact, but quite a bit better than Backbone's XBLA fucky releases or AtGames' slowdown and sound abhorrence. You can toggle 2xsai, there's a crt filter, and there are slides for monitor curvature. On PC, you got mods with Steam workshop (which were just ROMs people uploaded), but I don't think that will show up.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No they won't. The games will be released individually on Switch and owners will end up paying 10 times the cost of this collection on other platforms.
Well I said "arguably" for a reason. I don't like the emulation on Steam. I did all my recent SOR2/Gunstar Heroes playtrough on 3DS so I expect Switch AGES give some great games with excellent emulation. I can see why people prefer Genesis Collection thoough. I'll bought it myself aswell

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Has there ever been a Sonic remastered with Hd sprites? Like that street fighter on Ps3?

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda weird that you'd say this in... a Genesis thread.

What are you doing here?

Look at his name and av. He's chuckling it up with some edgy nonsense.

You'll always have people that lob fire at old SEGA games because they aren't immediately leaps and bounds better than comparable offerings on SNES; and, shit like Altered Beast, Golden Axe, and Kid Chameleon keep getting attention in these comps. To those people, I'd recommend Street of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes, and Shining Force 2.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Doesn't this just seem like th same selection of games that was already released on PS2, PS3, etc.

You could literally fit the entire Sega catalog prior to ps3/Xbox360 on a disc and have room to spare.

And by catalog I mean EVERY Sega produced home console game from every system, as well as every arcade title they have.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't this just seem like th same selection of games that was already released on PS2, PS3, etc.

You could literally fit the entire Sega catalog prior to ps3/Xbox360 on a disc and have room to spare.

And by catalog I mean EVERY Sega produced home console game from every system, as well as every arcade title they have

From Saturn and later arcade games onwards, no.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

There should be a comparison chart of these somewhere. Anyways, they're not completely the same, and at this price it's not like they're porting a single game from 4 years ago and charging $60 for it while removing the original release.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
From Saturn and later arcade games onwards, no.
Most Saturn games are INCREDIBLY small. And Sega really didn't develop much for it.
Heck, I remember how many Dreamcast games were able to be squeezed onto a standard CD-Rom back in the day when that scene was going nuts.

There's 25gb of disc space at minimum to play with. 50gb for dual layer.

Obviously, anything licensed wouldn't make the cut. So almost none of the sports games, or anime based titles.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
I still don't get why this wasn't announced for Switch and instead we get the Sega Ages line up.

How is this port begging? I wasn't asking for the Sega Genesis collection to come to Switch. I was simply stating that I thought it was weird that there are two different collection coming between the switch and the others.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Sega Ages doesn't only cover Mega Drive, has better emulation, and if an arcade version exists, it is based on that istead. The individual releases are also more fully packed with the option of choosing different versions of the game and often adding features that previously didn't exist before. The M2 approach might be familar if you played the 3D Classics.
But it is 6 bucks per game.

The Sega Genesis Collection doesn't archieve excellence in emulation, but has rewind and online, and you get 50 games at once.

Thanks, I hated the Steam version, but this collection could be made by different folks it seems. I wait til gameplay videos surface to see if I'll pick it up on Xbox One or wait for the Switch releases.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Even though I already have the Mega Drive Collection on Steam and PS3, I look forward to be able to play Streets of Rage and Phantasy Star IV on the PS4.

Is this the same as what was already released on Steam?
Got that room menu and the same games, so yeah. Seems to be an upgrade though with online and stuff, but I'm guessing it will be patched in on Steam too.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still confused as to why Sega would buy Techno Soft's back catalogue and then not put any of those games in a Mega Drive compilation.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I still don't get why this wasn't announced for Switch and instead we get the Sega Ages line up.
Maybe there's some market research that suggests Nintendo owners are more likely to purchase the individual games than Sony/MS owners who would just go for the cheap collections.

Like in the PS3/360/Wii generation you could get the Genesis Collection on PS3/360 for like $40, or spend that same amount of money on Wii and only get five games. Ka-ching.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is this different from the one that came out for the PS3? I don't mind at all, just trying to decide if it's worth a double dip.

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this really considered port begging?

Was that your intention?

I just dont get the warning for making a statement like you did. Is it to stop it from getting out of control?

I don't want to derail anything at all, but I agree with the content in this post. That doesn't seem like port begging to me. I think it's a legitimate question. If it's a preemptive thing to prevent a bunch of Switch owners from complaining about it, I guess I get it, it maybe that should have been stated if it was the intention.