• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

It's called the

• Genesis

Votes: 348 46.5%
  • Mega Drive

Votes: 401 53.5%

• Total voters

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
No I didn't realise I needed to add BIOS files, I just added the games using the Project Lunar gui and the CHD files, then pointed them to the genesis plus gx core.
check this but it's using hakchi:
www.youtube.com

How to play SEGA CD games on your Genesis Mini with Hakchi CE! (Tutorial)

Sega CD games can be a bit complicated. You have bios files, chd files, and multi disc games. In this video I go over everything you need to know to get thes...

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
check this but it's using hakchi:
www.youtube.com

How to play SEGA CD games on your Genesis Mini with Hakchi CE! (Tutorial)

Sega CD games can be a bit complicated. You have bios files, chd files, and multi disc games. In this video I go over everything you need to know to get thes...
Thanks! Though I managed to find another tutorial video on using Project Lunar and found where to put the BIOS files on my USB drive and that seems to have solved the issue!

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hacked this with PL, its far better than Hakchi. Also because my roms now work for instance.

I beat Bare Knuckle 3 translated. I never played this one before, I did own SoR3 but BK3 is very different. And far better also. It has an intro, and the story beats kind of make more sense. Clothing is better on the main characters, difficulty is much better balanced though I never had much issues with the western version to be honest. I beat it rather consistently. BK3 felt kind of too easy on normal. Neo X can fuck off, but I caught him in a forward jump kick loop... and I think I did the same way back lol.

Completely in love with Revenge of Shinobi. Yes I use save states now (game is tough as fuck), but I kind of see why this game is held in higher regard than 3. Its far more challenging, and has exceptional level design and enemy placement. What a great series. Shadow Dancer too is ace.

Also tried some Knuckles Chaotix. This game is trash wow. The thing is, I love the graphics they went for. They're peak 2d almost. Its that fucking tether mechanic that ruins the game.

Last edited:

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Hakchi got an update, and it's now got a scraper for artwork and descriptions. That was the main reason why I haven't bothered trying it yet, but I'm interested in giving it a go now to compare it with Lunar.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Was Comix Zone buggy or glitchy on real hardware? Made it to level 3, and after dying, the game froze, but I could press reset on the Mini to the load save state menu. Tried the same level a few times, got graphical glitches, mainly horizontal corrupted lines, and weirdly enough, one enemy morphed into a completly different enemy type once. (that last part is normal, just a rare ocurrance)

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Decided to replay Comix Zone all the way from the begining, and sure enough, the graphic glitches continue to appear from level 3 onwards. Guess I'll try later to play it on real hardware and see if it's common or if M2 emulator is glitching.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Please keep us up to date, and sorry I couldn't answer your previous question. I don't remember it being buggy but I only played it as a rental years ago.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Just bought one for $50 from Best Buy (it's already back up to $80), mostly to hack/mod it.
Gonna start using Hakchi on my SNES mini, figure I'll use it on this as well.

Also got a Turbografix-16 mini and a NeoGeo mini recently - but I'm not too keen on hacking/modding those... yet!

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Just bought one for $50 from Best Buy (it's already back up to $80), mostly to hack/mod it.
Gonna start using Hakchi on my SNES mini, figure I'll use it on this as well.

Also got a Turbografix-16 mini and a NeoGeo mini recently - but I'm not too keen on hacking/modding those... yet!

The mini international version hack is still being developed. We have a thread for the NeoGeo mini here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/neo-geo-mini-ot-metal-lord-of-monster-fighters-of-shock.196608/

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see this thread bump I check to see if a Project Lunar update has been posted and so far no such luck. I'm waiting on folder support before I really get back into messing with the mini again.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this isn't too off topic but I encourage Gen/MD/classic game fans here to hopefully add some variety to the essential platformers thread by voting for some underdogs and not just Mario and current gen indie games.
www.resetera.com

Resetera's 101 Essential Platformers: Top 101 Posted, Honorable Mentions Posted

Welcome to the inaugural Essential Platformers thread on Era! Following in the footsteps of kswiston's 101 Essential RPGs thread and Gradon's 51 Essential Horror Games thread, this thread attempts to highlight all of the greatest jump 'n' runners in the industry, as chosen collectively by you...

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I've got good news for you then
Plus with the $32 sale on amazon I think I'm jumping in
Yep, $32 on amazon right now
If anyone jumps on this, I recommend getting a RetroBit 6 button controller. They have usb or wireless versions that are official licensed and work great. Plus can use for switch and PC if you have other sega collections. Pretty much essential for the fighting games and adds some quality of life a few other titles as well.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If anyone jumps on this, I recommend getting a RetroBit 6 button controller. They have usb or wireless versions that are official licensed and work great. Plus can use for switch and PC if you have other sega collections. Pretty much essential for the fighting games and adds some quality of life a few other titles as well.
I ordered the Saturn wired, I prefer the form factor
Also yes I ordered, can't wait to load this up with my collection

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, I think the classic SLS Saturn controllers will work with both Project Lunar and Hakchi. Hakchi button mapping is perfect and 1:1 with an MD 6 button (and right shoulder for Mode button) but Project Lunar requires further tinkering (which I'm yet to be successful with).

Has there been an ETA on Project Lunar 1.1 yet? Their last update was two months ago :/

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Hey y'all! I bought my friend a Genesis Mini, but just found out he doesn't have an HDMI port on his old TV. Is there a cheap adapter of sorts I can order that he can use to get it working, or will he need a new TV? Thanks!

Last edited:

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Hey y'all! I bought my friend a Genesis Mini, but just found out he doesn't have an HDMI port on his old TV. Is there a cheap adapter of sorts I can order that he can use to get it working, or will he need a new TV? Thanks!
You'll need one of these...

61fyvWy3JUL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Should be able to find them on monoprice or amazon.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Aha! I had one in my cart, but was waiting to make sure they actually work.

One last question; should I get the component ones instead of composite, since his TV has both? Thanks so much!
That would look better I would think.

Only thing with this solution is how much lag it will introduce, but maybe it won't be noticeable.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
How old is this TV? I'd assume the mini will output a 16:9 image regardless, so if he's outputting to a 4:3 TV it won't fill the screen.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, I hadn't thought of lag. Hopefully it's still playable.
Oh, the video I made a while back might actually be useful here!

I wanted to do the same thing - set up the mega drive mini on a CRT - so I got a "GANA HDMI to RCA" adaptor and hooked it up.

I wasn't sure how much of the lag was the mega drive mini device itself and how much was the adaptor. It was definitely a considerable amount of lag in the end - still playable though.

At the time when I had it set up I recorded myself pressing Jump in Megaman in slow-motion with my phone to try and measure the lag.

https://youtu.be/vP_omz3kiRk

this is in half-speed so you can double the video speed for real-time.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I think the menu screens will be 16:9, but by selecting full screen resolution for the games, it will strecth to the TV aspect ratio.
Oh, the video I made a while back might actually be useful here!

I wanted to do the same thing - set up the mega drive mini on a CRT - so I got a "GANA HDMI to RCA" adaptor and hooked it up.

I wasn't sure how much of the lag was the mega drive mini device itself and how much was the adaptor. It was definitely a considerable amount of lag in the end - still playable though.

At the time when I had it set up I recorded myself pressing Jump in Megaman in slow-motion with my phone to try and measure the lag.

https://youtu.be/vP_omz3kiRk

this is in half-speed so you can double the video speed for real-time.

Thank you both so much, and that video was very helpful! It's a 2004 32" Widescreen LCD Sony HDTV with composite and component hookups.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So since Lunar 1.1 is still mia how is Hachki these days? Been waiting to mod my mini(I have a usb drive and pass through) but I'm at the point where I'm considering the alternatives over waiting for the lunar update

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So since Lunar 1.1 is still mia how is Hachki these days? Been waiting to mod my mini(I have a usb drive and pass through) but I'm at the point where I'm considering the alternatives over waiting for the lunar update

I'm curious myself. I've been waiting for the Lunar update but that doesn't seem to be coming out anytime soon.

Keep in mind when it comes to the Minis I want to always try and match the aesthetic of the default menu themes, instead of just some generic RA layout. I'm still holding out hope for someone to take the Genesis Mini layout and let you add folders (custom music would be dope too, but still remains a dream).

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Wily Wars seems to be better optimized on the Genesis Mini than what I remember from prior experience.

Check this old longplay on Youtube and take note of how drastically the game starts to chug once the MM1 Yellow Devil (timestamped) fully spawns:

And then compare it with footage that I just captured from the Mini:

Either this version is better optimized than the original, or the slowdown that I remember from the past was emulator-specific.

Anyone have a cartridge of Rockman Megaworld to compare against? :P

The American ROM of Wily Wars was dumped from the Genesis Mini some time ago, and I randomly got the urge to try it out on an original Genesis with a flash cart recently to see how it actually compares to the Mini.

Turns out that the emulator on the Mini actually is optimized to run this game more smoothly after all. On original hardware the game still chugs a lot, just like the original Japanese and PAL ROMs do.