• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

It's called the

• Genesis

Votes: 348 46.5%
  • Mega Drive

Votes: 401 53.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Some quick impressions about the games I've tried (Jp version).
- Darius: A pretty good port that looks very close to the PC-Engine one. Unfortunately I own the later so I would have preferred Darius II instead.
- Tetris: Something feels off here. I don't see myself playing this version often. More of a curiosity than anything.
- Space Harrier II: I realize once again I do not like at all Space Harrier and all those pseudo 3D shooting games Sega loved to make back in the day. Probably an important game with a lot of fans but a waste of a slot in my humble opinion.
- Dai Makaimura (Ghouls 'n Ghosts): A solid port of a great game, helmed by Yuji Naka (and that would influence Sonic). I wonder how it compares to the Super Grafx port.
- Golden Axe: Never liked this one and it's not going to change now.
- Assault Suit Leynos: I really want to like it as a fan of Valken, but I just don't get it. Will need to spend more time with it.
- Thunder Force III: Yep, it's great, best shmup on the MD (cause I can 1CC it unlike IV...)
- Colums/Puyo Puyo 2: Look like they could be fun but I'm not too much into puzzle games.
- Musha Aleste: The ship is a bit too big for my liking and I'm not very fond of the power-up system used in the Aleste series, but it's still very good from what I've played.
- Super Fantasy Zone: It's Fantasy Zone alright. Will definitely put some time into it later.
- Shining Force: I haven't tried it on the Mini yet but I played it for the first time last year. Honestly, I'm not too fond of it. I'm not that great at simulation games and yet it was a breeze without anything of note level design wise, as far as I remember. I was far more impressed by the first Langrisser I discovered also one or two years ago. I would have preferred the sequel since I haven't played it yet, and I imagine it improves quite a bit over this one.
- Alisia Dragoon: It requires a bit of getting used to the controls but after that it's actually a lot of fun.
- Landstalker: Love what I've played. Can't wait to put more time into it.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Never played it before despite having it on both the Saturn and the 3DS, but I'm sold after the first 2 stages.
- World of Illusion: Fun if not challenging. Reminds me of Castle of Illusion (duh) which is a good thing.
- Slap Fight: Toa Plan + Gradius power-up system? Nice.
- Road Rash II: Wasn't expecting anything but it's surprisingly fun.
- Gunstar Heroes: Okay this one is great. I can see why it's so popular.
- Party Quiz Mega Q: Again, surprisingly fun. I like how it plays like if you were a contestant in some TV game. On the other hand, it ends up very hard with those outdated questions about now obscure celebrities or drama from 20 years ago.
- Vampire Killer (Bloodlines): Still one of the best Castlevania.
- Tantoaru: Probably a lot of fun with some friends but I made the mistake of buying the package with a single controller.
- Monster World IV: Not my favorite Wonder Boy/Monster World, but it plays great and is absolutely beautiful.
- Lord Monarch: Er... I think I'll read the manual before trying again.
- The Hybrid Front: A Daisenryaku-like simulation game in an SF dystopic world supervised by one of the father of the genre in Japan. While significantly different, I can't help but think of Front Mission with this one (it helps than FM2's Jun Suemi is also the illustrator). One of, if not the game I was the most pleased to see announced for the Mini, and I'm not disappointed from the very little I've played. But as with Lord Monarch, it deserves a bigger time investment than what I gave it to be properly judged.
- Contra the Hardcore (Hard Cops): Not big into Contra but I think it may be the best one I've played until now.
- Rockman Megaworld (Megaman Wily Wars): I appreciate the effort and that it's 3 games in one, but it doesn't feel like the Megaman I know. I will stick with the Classic Collection.
- Game no Kanzume: Hit or miss, as expected, but some games are decently entertaining.
You make me jealous of the Asian lineup :( Wish we had gotten Musha and Alien Soldier here, especially when there's VF2 on the lineup.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
This is all that Space Harrier is to me:

+_5df5a192c53c844d42f51e47995287fc.gif

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone familiar with the actual Genesis Tetris? Is the M2 arcade port better? Worse? About the same?

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried this out but I am sending this back, was kind of shocked at the horrible big controller and the poor games. Most of them looked more 8bit than 16bit in my opinion.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Downloaded all the manuals onto my computer and I noticed that some of them are Genesis manuals even though they're from the MD site and the cover is the MD version, too. Like Strider for example. Not a big deal, but a strange oversight still.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't going to but I finally pulled the trigger on an Asian unit. Now what's the state of homebrew at, I need to get RKA, Headdy, Centy, Quackshot and BK3 on this thing! Preferably in the native OS, I don't another retroarch device.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I wasn't going to but I finally pulled the trigger on an Asian unit. Now what's the state of homebrew at, I need to get RKA, Headdy, Centy, Quackshot and BK3 on this thing! Preferably in the native OS, I don't another retroarch device.
They are making progress but no dates yet. Also the internal space is pretty limited so there's only room for maybe 20ish games?(85 mb) but they will definitely be able to make usb/otg memory expansion happen

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They are making progress but no dates yet. Also the internal space is pretty limited so there's only room for maybe 20ish games?(85 mb) but they will definitely be able to make usb/otg memory expansion happen
20-ish is fine by me, I want these minis to be a "best of" for me. I did the same with my EU SNES Classic to keep it down to displayable games in Canoe. Hopefully we can delete some too (bye Spinball!).

After this I'll need to fine a way to nab that Coregrafx mini.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Let's keep in mind it's not 1992 anymore, kiddos. The war is over.
It has been kind of amusing seeing media coverage frame it as Genesis vs. SNES again. Probably because we're far enough removed from the playground that it doesn't matter.

(say what you will about the systems themselves, the Genesis mini is the superior value)

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
20-ish is fine by me, I want these minis to be a "best of" for me. I did the same with my EU SNES Classic to keep it down to displayable games in Canoe. Hopefully we can delete some too (bye Spinball!).

Sonic Spinball isn't included in the Asian version.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing it an hour or so ago and it seems solid.

I like the controller cable is a decent length too.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like Sonic Spinball. I think Sonic was a perfect fit for a pinball game. The performance is disappointing, I noticed the game felt more laggy than mainline Sonic games. I would probably feel ripped off if I bought it for the full whack but Spinball was a nice bargain bin purchase back in the day. I also beat it a few times back then. This game could use a boost, but as the video showed 60fps makes it way harder to play.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I need to get RKA, Headdy, Centy, Quackshot and BK3 on this thing! Preferably in the native OS, I don't another retroarch device.
Those are all games I would immediately add to it.

The Canoe club is the best. I really hope someone will try for the same concept on the MD.
Also, the Core Grafx is still available on Amazon Japan.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I like Sonic Spinball. I think Sonic was a perfect fit for a pinball game. The performance is disappointing, I noticed the game felt more laggy than mainline Sonic games. I would probably feel ripped off if I bought it for the full whack but Spinball was a nice bargain bin purchase back in the day. I also beat it a few times back then. This game could use a boost, but as the video showed 60fps makes it way harder to play.

it just makes me sad because i'd rather have devil crash MD lol

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
*nods* Yeah I was just wondering how the original Genesis Tetris plays compared to M2's weird hybrid remake.

That original version has really sticky block movement, it's hard to explain but it feels bad and it's much worse than the arcade version. The sound effects are way off, too.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
As far as gameplay goes, the only thing I don't like about this version of Tetris is that DAS (the time between holding down a direction and the piece moving automatically) seems really high.

That, and I'll never get used to how the I piece rotates in either Sega or Arika's rotation systems. That piece gets stuck and kills me at higher speeds more than any other.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
That original version has really sticky block movement, it's hard to explain but it feels bad and it's much worse than the arcade version. The sound effects are way off, too.
Weird.

Yeah even the M2 version I was playing it a couple days ago and it made me appreciate how well Tetris on Game Boy controls and feels which I don't think I realized how much that likely contributed to the success of the Game Boy. If Game Boy Tetris had felt like even M2 Tetris I think it could have really hurt its chances of success.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to have been an oversight on Retro-Bit's part:

Also can confirm that the official 6B that comes with the JP Mega Mini works fine.

Oh, motherfuck. I just bought one of these "new" blue USBs from Amazon. (I went with the newer one so the MODE button is in the right place) I don't get why the JPN version isn't suffering from the same issue,

Off the top of anyone's head, are there any other codes for the other games that use the same "A+START" combo? Maybe one of the other Sonics or SOR2?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Weird.

Yeah even the M2 version I was playing it a couple days ago and it made me appreciate how well Tetris on Game Boy controls and feels which I don't think I realized how much that likely contributed to the success of the Game Boy. If Game Boy Tetris had felt like even M2 Tetris I think it could have really hurt its chances of success.

Well the reason Sega Tetris is a big deal in Japan, even putting aside the notorious rarity of the original port, is that it was the first version of the game to really blow up over there--it wasn't literally the first commercial version but it was the first one to have a big mainstream impact and even the MD port would have dropped before the Game Boy version, so there's always been a big "what-if?" around how the Mega Drive might have fared in the long run if they'd have been able to release that port while the arcade game was hot.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, motherfuck. I just bought one of these "new" blue USBs from Amazon. (I went with the newer one so the MODE button is in the right place) I don't get why the JPN version isn't suffering from the same issue,
I'd have to assume that it's because the Japanese pack-ins aren't made to be compatible with the Switch. Just a guess, though.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California

Off the top of anyone's head, are there any other codes for the other games that use the same "A+START" combo? Maybe one of the other Sonics or SOR2?
I'd have to assume that it's because the Japanese pack-ins aren't made to be compatible with the Switch. Just a guess, though.
Does Retro-Bit make the pack-in controllers, though? The reason I ask is because the pack-in three-button controllers have the SEGA logo on the end of the cable, whereas the eight-button Retro-Bit version has the regular USB logo on the end of the cable. That led me to assume that Sega manufactured the pack-in controllers, whereas Retro-Bit's efforts were handled separately.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Does Retro-Bit make the pack-in controllers, though? The reason I ask is because the pack-in three-button controllers have the SEGA logo on the end of the cable, whereas the eight-button Retro-Bit version has the regular USB logo on the end of the cable. That led me to assume that Sega manufactured the pack-in controllers, whereas Retro-Bit's efforts were handled separately.
The Japanese pack-in controllers? I assumed not because on the retro-big 6-button controllers it says "retro-bit" on the back and it does not on the Japanese 6-button controllers I have.
I was under the assumption that Sega had the 3-button pack-in controllers made themselves, too.

The Japanese 6-button controllers have the SEGA logo by the usb connector too.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

No they do not, Sega just didn't want to produce 6 button controllers for U.S. and so they just gave Retrobit the license and let them fill that gap instead.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know if these have gone on a significant discount anywhere in the US yet? After being burned by the PS1 classic I'm hoping to nab these later.

shallone

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Does the 8 button retrobit controller work with L and R triggers. Does it have an easy menu button.