• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
As an unrelated side note as someone who hasn't watched gamesack in a while; I like their new intro video.

Also, was there ever a fix found for the sound delay on the NES classic? I think I remember seeing something but haven't looked into it. Just seeing if there is any hope for something similar for this.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finished the MLiG video.

Yeah, The Genesis Mini scaling to 720p is fine for the 320x240 (320x224 active) games but oof, the handling on the 256x240 (256x224 active) games is a fail for M2. Using the stretch (fullscreen) mode and then using a TV squeeze to crush the game back down to 4:3 fixes the issue with 256px wide screens on the horizontal but wrecks the vertical something fierce because they're filling the screen on the vertical instead of leaving the black bars of a 3x vertical scale (black bars = 224p active lines in 240p games).

This is all very basic stuff that M2 could have handled.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So after checking some of the videos and reading around seems the sound issue is currently an universal issue with almost all emulation so that's not really that big a deal. And I can roll with the other stuff.

Hack-ability has me really curious but sounds like the odds are good

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of Sonic 3 still hurts, but other than that it seems like a good product.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Finished the MLiG video.

Yeah, The Genesis Mini scaling to 720p is fine for the 320x240 (320x224 active) games but oof, the handling on the 256x240 (256x224 active) games is a fail for M2. Using the stretch (fullscreen) mode and then using a TV squeeze to crush the game back down to 4:3 fixes the issue with 256px wide screens on the horizontal but wrecks the vertical something fierce because they're filling the screen on the vertical instead of leaving the black bars of a 3x vertical scale (black bars = 224p active lines in 240p games).

This is all very basic stuff that M2 could have handled.

i think M2 is spread pretty thin these days.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Uh, why are they doing for the Mega Drive mini a version of the Genesis Does ad, that definitely didn't run on Europe?

It kinda feels like the european version is an afterthought :/

Yes, THANK YOU! Just saw that and it just irritates me how US centric the Western gaming world is. No one here in Europe has any nostalgia for ads like that. If they really cared, we'd see them remake something like this.

Also, Mega Drive will forever be the one true name for the console.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Playing something like Street Fighter 2 with just 3 buttons is crazy. What's the reasoning for not including the 6 button controllers? Especially when Japan get them. Mind boggling decision.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Playing something like Street Fighter 2 with just 3 buttons is crazy. What's the reasoning for not including the 6 button controllers? Especially when Japan get them. Mind boggling decision.

Sega West signed a contract with 8bitdo or whatever to sell 6 button pads that are compatible with the Mini.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean the 3 button controller is the iconic controller most are familiar with and only a fourth if that many of the Sega catalog even used the 6 button controller. At least you can purchase the other ones. But considering how much of the catalog is early life the 3 button makes sense

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sound delay and dark CRT filter aren't what I expect for an M2 work. Even though, it seems solid enough, just not perfect as other M2 works. Preorder stands!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I mean the 3 button controller is the iconic controller most are familiar with and only a fourth if that many of the Sega catalog even used the 6 button controller. At least you can purchase the other ones. But considering how much of the catalog is early life the 3 button makes sense

I'd guess around 60 tops support the controller. given that i have zero interest in an objectively inferior console port of an arcade game i can play elsewhere, the two most irritating games on the US version are going to be Comix Zone and Shinobi III's special mode.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sound delay and dark CRT filter aren't what I expect for an M2 work. Even though, it seems solid enough, just not perfect as other M2 works. Preorder stands!
Sound delay is an universal issue with almost every emulator official and otherwise so I don't think that should be held against this
I'd guess around 60 tops support the controller. given that i have zero interest in an objectively inferior console port of an arcade game i can play elsewhere, the two most irritating games on the US version are going to be Comix Zone and Shinobi III's special mode.
i mean there's the officially licensed and compatible one that's about 20 bucks

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FWIW if the PC Engine Mini does the same as this (aka doesn't resample the 256px horizontal games) that's going to affect practically every game, unlike the Genesis where most games are 320px horizontal.

Agreed with Coury that resampling should be the default, there's no need to even have a menu option.

Resample/interpolate *everything* on the horizontal for modes where the pixels aren't square. Integer scale the vertical. That should always be the norm for old 240p/224p games at 4:3 when 720p is the only output resolution. This is common knowledge in the emulation/FPGA/scaler community at this point.

Last edited:

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
The sound issue is a bit annoying. With M2 leading the project I had high hopes about the quality of the overall product, but as other have stated they seem to do way too much work lately so that's understandable in a way.
Too bad that Sega didn't have spare stock of YM6212 to get some real sound! May be this'll be patchable at a later point.

Still planning on getting one in any case, if only for the pleasure of buying a freshly released Sega hardware in 2019.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So any news on the authentic retrobit 6 button controllers? Are they being sold already?

I'm not talking about the alleged "genesis mini" 6-button controllers that also have an L&R button or a mode button that they have been selling for a while now.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So any news on the authentic retrobit 6 button controllers? Are they being sold already?

I'm not talking about the alleged "genesis mini" 6-button controllers that also have an L&R button or a mode button that they have been selling for a while now.

I had a look on Amazon UK, they say Sept 19th. link

Nov 23, 2017
Aw fuck not sound lag again. In what fucking universe is it harder to generate sound than video? This shit was a deal breaker on the NES Classic for me. Ugh. Pass. :(
Talk about hyperbole

what is basic about this game selection? don't really get this criticism AT ALL. it is way less "basic" than both the NES/SNES mini consoles.
This. A lot of people into retro gaming (and I am too heavily so its not an outsider criticism) are wayyyyyyy too picky and freak out at literally any error and find any nitpick they can.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the My Life in Gaming video, it still sounds like a very solid mini console worth purchasing. For those of you that are hell bent on things like sound and picture scaling accuracy, you probably already own something like a Mega Sg or a Framemeister/OSSC setup and prefer to play these games that way. The sound delay is a little annoying but not a deal breaker.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Honestly posts like these in mini console threads have been kind of obnoxious, for years now even ever since the nes classic announcement. We get it, a tiny pc is better. I also have a laptop if i want to emulate stuff. Cool.

right? i have a Mega SG and pretty much every Mega Drive/Genesis game at my fingertips but the actual CURATION of these devices are what makes them special.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure you have all these games in your shelf and you're going to manually dump all these roms.
I'm kinda sick of seeing Pi posts in these Classic Edition/mini threads too, but to be fair if they're buying it and using the case the case for something else, then they might be able to rip the games off the system too. I like my NES Classic and SNES Classic, but I ripped all the ROMs off them so I could play them on my FPGA systems (well, not all the SNES ROMS since the "special chip" ROMs don't really work on the Super NT).

After watching some other videos, I'm not sure how much the audio delay will bother me. It has bothered me in the past with emulated games (like I mentioned before, Mega Man 2 on Xbox One), but I have a hard time seeing it in this GameXplain video. I can tell if I concentrate for some games, but it's not like... slapping me in the face or anything and I can't even notice it in others.

Maybe it's more apparent when you see more of the actual game, probably? Since these are just like few seconds of a look at each game.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017
right? i have a Mega SG and pretty much every Mega Drive/Genesis game at my fingertips but the actual CURATION of these devices are what makes them special.
Yeah, for sure. I have about 10 carts myself only, but even if I had more, there are games in this collection you cant buy the rom for on steam or whatever. Aren't there even two games ported specifically for the collection?

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Tetris was released but quickly pulled off of retail, so there's only around 10 copies out there or something like that. It's practically impossible to buy for most people, and ROM availability in cases like this is tricky.

Nov 23, 2017
I'm kinda sick of seeing Pi posts in these Classic Edition/mini threads too, but to be fair if they're buying it and using the case the case for something else, then they might be able to rip the games off the system too. I like my NES Classic and SNES Classic, but I ripped all the ROMs off them so I could play them on my FPGA systems (well, not all the SNES ROMS since the "special chip" ROMs don't really work on the Super NT).

After watching some other videos, I'm not sure how much the audio delay will bother me. It has bothered me in the past with emulated games (like I mentioned before, Mega Man 2 on Xbox One), but I have a hard time seeing it in this GameXplain video. I can tell if I concentrate for some games, but it's not like... slapping me in the face or anything and I can't even notice it in others.

Maybe it's more apparent when you see more of the actual game, probably? Since these are just like few seconds of a look at each game.

The only noticable one was Strider. Probably a bug for the settings for that game.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah, for sure. I have about 10 carts myself only, but even if I had more, there are games in this collection you cant buy the rom for on steam or whatever. Aren't there even two games ported specifically for the collection?

Tetris and Darius both are basically "new" games. To me, that is a better value proposition than the SNES Classic because those games don't suck ass unlike Starfox 2.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
bwuh...?! I never knew about "Shinobi III's special mode" and I've owned that game since it launched! Holy shit!

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
It's like a whole new Shinobi game now! I'm honestly floored. This is cloudbush levels of crazy for me!

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
M2 isn't infallible. A lot of their work in the last two years has been far from perfect. I think they are stretched thin at this point.