• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Dark1x covers it as his analysis is the best IMO.

I hate that I'm getting it late due to the delay but I can't wait

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Weird to see the lack of Nintendon't part of the ad.

But I guess Genesis Does what Nintendoes Two does not have the same ring to it xD

OP
OP

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, why are they doing for the Mega Drive mini a version of the Genesis Does ad, that definitely didn't run on Europe?

It kinda feels like the european version is an afterthought :/

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's a bummer about the sound effects lag, didn't the NES classic have the same issue?

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Coming from M2, i wasn't expecting the slight problems mentioned in the gamesack video.
Maybe they had to cut some corners to be able to make it work in the available hardware.

The slight lack of bass in the music hits deep. The Megadrive is one of the few consoles where i crank the volume, for the juicy lows.

Still, it seems like a solid mini.
Plenty of quality stuff.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Here's a heads up based on something mentioned in the Gamexplain video: if you use a 6-button controller and/or Retro-bit controller, you can use the mode button to jump to the menu rather than holding the start button.

That's a bummer about the sound effects lag, didn't the NES classic have the same issue?

NES and SNES both, I want to say. Maybe it's hardware-related.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Here's a heads up based on something mentioned in the Gamexplain video: if you use a 6-button controller and/or Retro-bit controller, you can use the mode button to jump to the menu rather than holding the start button.

NES and SNES both, I want to say. Maybe it's hardware-related.
At least it was slightly improved on SNES Mini, barely noticeable, so most of the time you don't even pay attention to it and it doesn't actually require to get used to it so I'd say it's fine while it can be distracting on NES Mini.
Curious to see that advanced tests on the Mega Drive Mini!

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
The lag sounds like it would probably be an issue for me. Still looking at that Mega SG, though I understand that's a totally different beast for a totally different market.

Still, the mini seems neat.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a preview of the JP or SEA versions. Need that MD aesthetic/spine art.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet! A bonus Game Sack episode!

Didn't realize these were going up today, thanks OP.
I love my Mega SG but I'm all in for these things simply for the excellent game curation.
Yeah, same here. I'm hoping you can rip the games off these like you can with the NES Classic and SNES Classic to play on other systems (getting SNES roms was way more complicated though...)
sound lag is disappointing
Yeah, that drove me nuts in Mega Man 2 in the collection for the Xbox One version. Not sure if it was in every version, though.

Last edited:

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
Modern Vintage Gamer with a look inside

From what I see :
256 MB of RAM by UnilC
512MB of flash memory by Foresee
CPU by Zuiki named Z7213, Allwinner based, specs unknown, I guess they are not allowed to tell.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Aw fuck not sound lag again. In what fucking universe is it harder to generate sound than video? This shit was a deal breaker on the NES Classic for me. Ugh. Pass. :(

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If the sound lag is anything like on the NES classic it's not an issue for me personally. I'm really hyped for this little thing!

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a Mega SG (for now at least), a MiSTer, and a PC running Retroarch plugged into my OLED. I expected the Mini to be superfluous, but I honestly thought they'd deliver something much more competitive than this. Megadrive Mini would be a massive downgrade.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
The sound lag on Strider looks particularly glaring. But the selection is so sick I guess I'll just live with it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sound stuff doesn't bug me but I'm wondering
Modern Vintage Gamer with a look inside

From what I see :
256 MB of RAM by UnilC
512MB of flash memory by Foresee
CPU by Zuiki named Z7213, Allwinner based, specs unknown, I guess they are not allowed to tell.

I wonder how this bodes for hacking, I want my full genesis collection on there!

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Joe didn't seem to be particularly impressed by the performance in his Game Sack review.

Kinda what i figured, the strength of this lies in its stock library, but lets be real---- everyone jailbreaks these.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Joe didn't seem to be particularly impressed by the performance in his Game Sack review.

Kinda what i figured, the strength of this lies in its stock library, but lets be real---- everyone jailbreaks these.

The jailbreak is where maybe all the half assed coding can be fixed. That's more important than adding games in this particular case.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Sound stuff doesn't bug me but I'm wondering

I wonder how this bodes for hacking, I want my full genesis collection on there!

Well, the My Life in Gaming video points out that M2 tweaks each game individually to run well with their emulator, so throwing a bunch of ROMs on this thing may not work (or work well).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well, the My Life in Gaming video points out that M2 tweaks each game individually to run well with their emulator, so throwing a bunch of ROMs on this thing may not work (or work well).
Well yes and no, it means adding other regional games should be easy at least as they already have presets. But for stuff that's not on there yeah things might get dicey, depends on how versatile the base code is. Might take longer for new games but should be doable(I mean there's retroarch too but it'll be interesting to see)

demi

Oct 27, 2017

Sounds like the SNES Mini and most games ran just fine right out the gate. Some do require configuration/patching to work on it. We'll see how M2's emulator fares when it gets cracked open

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sounds like the SNES Mini and most games ran just fine right out the gate. Some do require configuration/patching to work on it. We'll see how M2's emulator fares when it gets cracked open
Just what I was hoping to hear, look forward to you guys digging into this one, hopefully it winds up quick and painless and something convient like the snes mini. I'm sure putting the regional exclusives will be achieved quickly(like that yu yu Hakasho fighting game)

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I watched the MLiG video and while I can see and hear the sound delay they're talking about, I really had to pay close attention to notice it. Those saying it's a complete dealbreaker seem to be overreacting IMO.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
If it turns out there is some wonkey extra work with the M2 emulation going on hopefully there will not be an issue with just getting the games from other regions versions to work across the board.

I don't expect there to be any issues though.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Still sounds like it just the basic and the fact there only three button pad in the box and they cant get Sonic 3 & K still makes this a easy pass

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I was mostly on board, but the GameSack video concerns me a bit, especially with the controller issues.

Also, I haven't watched GameSack in a while, is it just Joe now?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched some videos. The sound lag is very noticeable, but it's not bad enough for me to cancel my pre-order. I should be able to get used to it. Hopefully.