• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'd guess around 60 tops support the controller. given that i have zero interest in an objectively inferior console port of an arcade game i can play elsewhere, the two most irritating games on the US version are going to be Comix Zone and Shinobi III's special mode.
I wasn't aware of the six-button control scheme in Shinobi III until I read your post. While I don't think I'd prefer to use a six-button control scheme in Shinobi III, I have to say that its mere existence does make the inclusion of Shinobi III over Revenge of Shinobi an odd choice. While a lot of people are crying foul over the game line-up over personal preference for certain games, I do think Sega should've omitted the games that support a six-button control scheme in favor of more sought-after games that didn't use the extra buttons for unique functions.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Nobody needs to buy this other than the *giggle I'm just happy to play these games on my flatscreen* crowd.

Ugh. All this fart sniffing, gate keeping, videogame elitism.

Im still super excited for the mini and like everything on the internet Im guessing the issues are going to be overblown by a small vocal minority.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Ugh. All this fart sniffing, gate keeping, videogame elitism.

Im still super excited for the mini and like everything on the internet Im guessing the issues are going to be overblown by a small vocal minority.

Yep. Isn't the curation of games exciting for people? How else am I going to play an official port of Darius for Mega Drive/Genesis legally?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
So Kega Fusion on PC is still the better emu eh?
From what I understand if you want accurate emulation then you should run BlastEm. I think I heard that in a DFRetro video? Can't remember which one, though... probably the megaSG video.

also: ... Kega doesn't come with Tetris, Darius, and Wily Wars (or anything)

Last edited:

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018
Correct if I'm wrong, but the only issue with the Genesis so far is the delay in sound? From what I've gathered, the performance of the ports are an enhancement over the originals and have no issue on the hardware. The GameXplain comparison looked great.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they would of added more games honestly. For the price, it is not bad, but another dozen games would have been nice. I think the main reason is the Sega Genesis Collection that came out not too long ago that launched at $30 U.S. and had 53 games. Granted this comes with controllers and a sleek looking mini version of the system, but adding 12 or more games would of made this a must have for almost any gamer. I just think the amount of games is low and there is such a massive library of games that adding another 12 would of been awesome. Still getting it of course because I am big Genesis fan, but just which they added more games.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would of added more games honestly. For the price, it is not bad, but another dozen games would have been nice. I think the main reason is the Sega Genesis Collection that came out not too long ago that launched at $30 U.S. and had 53 games. Granted this comes with controllers and a sleek looking mini version of the system, but adding 12 or more games would of made this a must have for almost any gamer. I just think the amount of games is low and there is such a massive library of games that adding another 12 would of been awesome. Still getting it of course because I am big Genesis fan, but just which they added more games.

Lots of games included in this product have never been re-released before. Comparing this unfavorably to the Sega Genesis Collection doesn't make a lot of sense, as Sega has been re-releasing almost every game on that compilation multiple times over the past 10+ years, devaluing most of them in the process.

This is a FAR better lineup of games.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
No Revenge of Shinobi in the US version is a personal deal breaker tbh.

That game is a PILLAR to the Genesis for in my opinion.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any early word from the community yet on how hackable this thing will be?

There's enough on here that I think I'll buy it anyway, but there's some crucial games to my nostalgia that I'd like to add.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Where can I pre-order the Asian version with 2 controllers included? Play-asia's website shows the picture of the one controller version for the Asian version for $84.99, but it says it includes two controllers, but the price difference makes no sense. I emailed them about it and I'm waiting for a response. I don't want to order it and get screwed getting only one controller.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Where can I pre-order the Asian version with 2 controllers included? Play-asia's website shows the picture of the one controller version for the Asian version for $84.99, but it says it includes two controllers, but the price difference makes no sense. I emailed them about it and I'm waiting for a response. I don't want to order it and get screwed getting only one controller.
The Asian versions of Mega Drive Mini and Genesis Mini include 2 controllers.
Both the "Mega Drive Mini" and "SEGA Genesis Mini" come with two controllers.

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody has it. They're hackers, not psychics

Which is why I said "early word". Best guesses based on any known details about the hardware or firmware etc by those who know what they're doing.

I'm no expert, but I recall it being fairly common knowledge before the SNES Classic came out that it should be easy to crack, and also that the PlayStation Classic might not be before it released. Curious if there are any similar vibes around this yet or if it's still a total unknown.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
The nostalgia is calling!
Truthfully, after previous compilations, the 3DS line, AGES series, etc I'm not overly eager to visit the majority of these games again.
In fact it's only these that I would actually look forward to playing:

Alisia Dragoon
Castle of Illusion
Dynamite Headdy
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star IV
Strider
Thunder Force III
World of Illusion

Which is nowhere near enough to justify a purchase. And yet.....

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Revenge of Shinobi in the US version is a personal deal breaker tbh.

That game is a PILLAR to the Genesis for in my opinion.
It's the biggest omission for certain regions. It feels like every Mini console is missing a pillar action-platformer: C64 without Bruce Lee, NES without Ninja Gaiden II, TG16 without Legendary Axe, SNES without ActRaiser. Revenge of Shinobi being owned by Sega has way less of an excuse for being absent than the others.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
So I just wanted to have a little controller chat, sorry if it's not interesting to anyone but me lol.

In that GameXplain video I posted earlier, it said that if you press the L button on a retrobit Saturn usb controller, it'll jump straight to menu without holding start down.

I'm pretty sure I remember another video saying the same thing happens when you used the mode button on one of the current 8-button Genesis controllers from retrobit.

I hooked each up to my PC to see what button "number" it comes up as in Windows. Both buttons (Left shoulder on Saturn and Mode on Genesis) show up as button 9.
These were both in D-input mode, because that's what they start as when you first plug them in (Oh! something just occured to me. later...).

If the Dualshock 4 will be compatible with this thing since it's also D-input I think (which, I dunno, has any video mentioned if it will work? I can't remember) the first four buttons are laid out "correctly" with L1 and R1 acting as C and Z and then the share button would apparently be the "menu shortcut" button.
dcf1Tuy.jpg

The start button on all three controllers is "button 10."

Now... I wonder if on the retrobit controllers there will be issues if you hold the start button too long, because if you hold down the start button on the USB Saturn and Genesis controllers for five seconds, then they switch from D-input to X-input modes. I guess that's why there's a dedicated "shortcut button" but I wonder if they'll make a note specifically for the retrobit controllers in the manual or something to tell people not to hold down start to get back to the menu if you're using those controllers.

Last edited:

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to order the Asian version with Alien Soldier from Play-Asia, but I waited too long and it said all of their allocations have been presold. So I ordered the Japanese W version. Hopefully they get more. It really doesn't matter that much since I imagine this will be hackable pretty soon after it comes out, but I feel like a dumb ass for waiting and now I didn't get the best version.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Is it easy to return stuff on Amazon Japan? Is it free to do so (like just print out a label and take to post office or UPS drop box)? I live in the US by the way.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Is it easy to return stuff on Amazon Japan? Is it free to do so (like just print out a label and take to post office or UPS drop box)? I live in the US by the way.
I think international returns are only free if you receive a damaged or wrong item etc, but not if you just changed your mind, in that case you'll need to pay the shipping...

I returned a Nintendo Switch to Amazon JP once because the customs people scratched the screen when inspecting it :/

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up the Asian version just became available on Play-Asia again, pre-order while you can. Canceled my inferior Japanese version. Also $23 dollars cheaper with shipping included.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Heads up the Asian version just became available on Play-Asia again, pre-order while you can. Canceled my inferior Japanese version. Also $23 dollars cheaper with shipping included.
How did you cancel your Japanese pre-order? Amazon JP doesn't allow it for these normally

Also I see Play Asia lists both Mega Drive Mini AND Genesis Mini both with (Asia) after the name... Does Asia get both variants with the same games?

Last edited:

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Any chance this will be on sale at TGS?
Japan gets the six button version with the weird peripherals (for extra cost).

But unfortunately I leave japan on 18/9

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: I think they do both come with the same games. Not US/UK Genesis titles.
Check that list in the link. Version which comes with Alien Soldier.

From the page you linked to:

Both Asian console iterations, though different in naming, packaging and controllers, will enjoy the same stable of games with a healthy mixture of titles from both the Japanese and Western mini consoles, alongside five regional exclusives

Edit: just saw your edit... Yeah. I really wish Sega didn't divide the exclusives between regions like that, makes deciding difficult...

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Any chance this will be on sale at TGS?
Japan gets the six button version with the weird peripherals (for extra cost).

But unfortunately I leave japan on 18/9
It might be there on display, but not necessarily for sale. Maybe purchase online and have it sent to your home address wherever you're heading to?

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
From the page you linked to:

Edit: just saw your edit... Yeah. I really wish Sega didn't divide the exclusives between regions like that, makes deciding difficult...
Yeah, I'm counting on it being easily hacked. I was upset the last few days since I thought I'd missed out on the version which suits me the best. If you want six buttons the Asian version is the cheapest. Mine came to $107.89 total and the Japanese W version would have been $130.89.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at the list of games that are included with the Genesis (Asian version) on Play-Asia and their list seems to be the same as the US/UK version, so if you really want that Genesis (Asian version) you might want to double check with Play-Asia first to confirm which games come included on it. They're the only online retailer that will ship it outside of Hong Kong.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll stick with Amazon JP for now because I'm worried about the customs fees when ordering from Play-Asia (customs in my country love to gouge on imports), and with Amazon I'm guaranteed to only pay what's displayed at Checkout.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I hooked each up to my PC to see what button "number" it comes up as in Windows. Both buttons (Left shoulder on Saturn and Mode on Genesis) show up as button 9.
These were both in D-input mode, because that's what they start as when you first plug them in (Oh! something just occured to me. later...).

If the Dualshock 4 will be compatible with this thing since it's also D-input I think (which, I dunno, has any video mentioned if it will work? I can't remember) the first four buttons are laid out "correctly" with L1 and R1 acting as C and Z and then the share button would apparently be the "menu shortcut" button.
dcf1Tuy.jpg

The start button on all three controllers is "button 10."
This is interesting. So there's a decent chance the DS4 might work on these?

The button layout is absolutely not ideal but so many Mega Drive games had remappable controls that this wouldn't matter too much. I might shelf my plans for buying a 6-button controller and see how many other controller types it works with.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
I would love to play Streets of Rage 4 and Sonic Mania Plus on PC with the Genesis Classic Mini 3-button controller, so if any of you plan on getting the North American edition and dumping the default controllers please hit me up.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
This is interesting. So there's a decent chance the DS4 might work on these?

The button layout is absolutely not ideal but so many Mega Drive games had remappable controls that this wouldn't matter too much. I might shelf my plans for buying a 6-button controller and see how many other controller types it works with.

One of the Japanese sites tested a bunch of controllers a month or two ago and nothing worked outside of what's officially listed as supported (ie the Retro-bit controllers and certain Buffalo brand controllers and USB hubs).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any wireless controllers confirmed to work? I'm hoping to nab a six button replica Genesis controller that's also wireless in the hopes it'll work right out of the box.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
One of the Japanese sites tested a bunch of controllers a month or two ago and nothing worked outside of what's officially listed as supported (ie the Retro-bit controllers and certain Buffalo brand controllers and USB hubs).
Hmm, disappointing. Thanks for the reply though, good to have solid info.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Mine delivered today. The plastic is on point, and the best of the mini consoles. The sound, video, and emulation feel are very accurate and you feel immersed in a Genesis experience the whole time.

The menu and options... Leave a lot to be desired. (No rewind = sad face. Not much in the screen options to choose from.) And some classics are missing.

But the most glaring issue of all is yes, the audio lag. It's really bad on something like Strider which has that whip-fast sword attack. The sword is already sheathed by the time you hear a sound effect for it...

It's honestly probably not because of a hardware constraint but just a configuration element that needs tweaking. Here's hoping this thing gets hacked and we can get that problem fixed.