• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
pErSjlI.jpg

Release date

JP October 29, 1988
NA August 14, 1989
PAL November 30, 1990

I was the weird kid on the block in the late 80's with a Master System, which was great but the schoolyard battles of say Ghost House vs Castlevania were obviously not in my favor. come spring of '89 though, that all changed! A couple friends a few houses down frantically called me over to see Altered Beast, Thunder Force 2, Space Harrier 2 & i wanna say Last Battle? our 8-bit systems were home to many distant ports from the vastly superior arcade offerings, and this was one of the first times I felt I saw that gap close a bit - Tekken 3 would do it years later, and of course the Dreamcasts' Soul Calibur was the one to finish the cycle for me (a fitting end to both closing said gap & sega's hardware finale, i thought).

A year later, we'd mostly play Moonwalker until I finally got my own system with Phantasy Star 2, my first real JRPG (i still have a polaroid shot of the ending!). To this day, I've hadsome of my best co-op experiences on it, from ToeJam & Earl, Streets of Rage 1/2, Bonanza Bros and so many others - i managed to wear out several pads & an arcade stick, and i don't drop those things. Good times.

Not to indulge the aforementioned schoolyard battles too much here, but while SNES is (rightfully) cheered on here for many classics, the Genesis had more than its fair share of fantastic arcade action, JRPG, SHMUPS and many others - if you only play the many rehashed collections Sega puts out now, you'd really miss out.

On that note: what were some of your lesser-known favorites? Mine were:
  • Valis 3
  • Rolling Thunder 2 (never could find 3!) oh yeah MERCs too
  • Gunstar Heroes is kind've a given
  • General Chaos
  • MUSHA (Elemental Master was dope)
  • Shining Force 1 & 2 are still better than any Fire Emblem
  • ESWAT
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World
  • Starflight
  • Strider was like the best thing ever
  • Castle/World of Illusion - also, the superior Aladdin (i remember Quackshot being fun too)
  • Flashback
  • Zombies ate my Neighbors (though this is cheating for me, as i had it on SNES)
  • Shadowrun
  • El Viento
  • Thunder Force III + Lightening Force
  • Battle Mania Daiginjō/Trouble Shooter 2
  • Alisia Dragoon
  • Mega Turrican
  • Punisher (Spider-Man was fun but Sega-CD had definitive version!)
  • Mutant League Football
  • The Haunting
  • Alien Storm, i'm like the only guy who liked this better than Golden Axe
  • Bonanza Bros was my shit - I dug the Crack Down port too
  • Micro Machines (Super Off Road too!)
welcometothenexttopic9rsjj.png

Useful Links:

Games That Defined the Sega Genesis / MegaDrive
The cover project - Great place to find official and custom box art to use for Universal Game Cases.

finally: anyone thinking of getting a Genesis :

If you're really into getting the good sound, you want the one actually labelled "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" (it wasn't on all the Genesis 1s), and lacking copyright protection screen at the beginning. The Walkman-style headphone jack gives it great bass. Pop in SoR2.

img]

Last edited:
OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
no doubt

also to start this off right:

Alien Storm > Golden Axe

when ya'll start on about Revenge of Shiobi vs Shinobi III, everyone's wrong cause it's Shadow Dancer

Punisher could've been better but was a solid arcade port

i hope the light shines on everyone~

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey sega genesis era, i just got back from my local retro store while grabbing dinner and picked this up =)

mowz9fjh.jpg

Last edited:

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard for me to tell which system I played more between SNES and Genesis but I have a great deal of nostalgia for it. I was one of those fortunate to have the Sega Channel and it exposed me a ton of great games. I wouldn't know the awesomeness of Gunstar Heroes and Beyond Oasis if it weren't for that. And El Viento! I have a soft spot in my heart for that game.

Flizzzipper

Oct 26, 2017
I beat Ecco the Dolphin today. Good lord the last level is rage inducing. You get a forced scrolling level where you can get trapped and die easily. That portion probably goes on for five minutes. Then if you survive you face the boss which is hard as hell. If you die you have to do the scrolling level part again. Just a terrible game design choice.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
It's terrible when you finish the machine and die as soon as you see the queen. I usually finish that then if I die on the machine just use codes to skip it. Fuck doing that again.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite childhood system (and top 3 overall with Saturn and GBA). I just played Ristar earlier this week and it reminded me why it is my favorite platformer. I just got Gunstar Heroes CIB this week but I haven't had much time to play it. I unfortunately didn't own it as a kid but only rented it. Anyway a quick list of my favorite Genesis games:
  • Shining Force 1/2 - Excellent games that introduced me to my favorite genre. Not as good as SF3 but still my favorite SRPGs from that era
  • Ristar - The greatest platformer ever and the most visually appealing (imo of course)
  • Sonic 1-3/Knuckles - Iconic platformers, I love all of them but 1 is my favorite
  • Gunstar Heroes - I am awful at it but it is an excellent game
  • Vectorman - Not much to say here but I love this game, pretty hard though
  • Shining in the Darkness - Maybe it isn't as good today but kid me loved this game.
  • Shadowrun
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Herzog Zwei
  • Comix Zone
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Ecco the Dolphin (I like the Sega CD version more though for the OST)
  • Rocket Knight Adventures - This game is way too unknown for how awesome it was, it would be a known classic if it was a SNES game
  • Landstalker
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Columns
I could list so many more great games too. I haven't played everything I want to. I've never played Contra or Castlevania on it for example.

Anyone who thinks the Genesis was just for Sonic never really played the console. I also love how the Genesis classic games are allowed to be modded on Steam legally.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Over the more recent years I've grown to love the Megadrive/Genesis more and more. Maybe even to the point where it would rank as my favorite console. It's hard to beat the snes, especially as a Jrpg lover, but goddamn Sega had a good thing going.

I've always owned one as a kid, but played the more obvious titles like SoR, Phantasy Star and Sonic. Digging more and more into its library really reveals a treasure trove of classics I never had access to as a kid.

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a consensus best way to play Genesis games portably? Ideally a way that doesn't involve paying hundreds for a souped up Nomad. Do any of the clone systems let you save games like shining force?

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Post the PS2 ending polaroid, Irish! That's awesome :D

Well my favorite game of all time is most definitely PS2 but some other of my favorites, both well-known and obscure:

Phantasy Star 2 and 4 (I actually don't hate 3, even though it's obviously no where near 2 and 4!)
Gunstar Heroes
Monster World IV
Streets of Rage 1 and 2
Sonic 1,2,3,&K
Shining Force 1 and 2
Landstalker
Alien Soldier
Crusader of Centy
Shinobi 3
Shadow Dancer
Rocket Knight Adventures
Langrisser (Warsong) 1 and 2
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Beyond Oasis
Alisia Dragoon
Air Buster
Thunder Force 2,3,4
Ranger X
Truxton
Ristar
Contra: Hard Corps
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Vapor Trail
MUSHA
Eliminate Down
Burning Force
Star Odyssey
Twinkle Tale
Sorcerer's Kingdom
Traysia
Exile
Dynamite Headdy
Toejam and Earl
Gain Ground

What a library, and it seems like I'm always discovering new gems (btw, any recs for JP exclusive games would be great too!)

And this has been my jam these last few days:

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I beat Ecco the Dolphin today. Good lord the last level is rage inducing. You get a forced scrolling level where you can get trapped and die easily. That portion probably goes on for five minutes. Then if you survive you face the boss which is hard as hell. If you die you have to do the scrolling level part again. Just a terrible game design choice.

Ahhh, you join an exclusive club. That last level is complete BS. Even today I can get to the final level without much difficulty, but that last level will mess you up for days.

On a related note, I just beat the Streets of Rage Remake for the first time today, so I was pretty excited. Only one path of the four so far, but I'm planning on going back. It's an excellent fan game.

Some of my favorites:
Sonic 1, 2, 3K, Mania
Ecco 1 and 2
Shinobi III
Gunstar Heroes
Streets of Rage 1-3
Comix Zone
Castlevania Bloodlines
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Out of this World
Thunder Force IV

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
my first console,i still remember the christmas i got it and played sonic for the first time which is the first game i completed (not that day,it took months).

i played the game to death and read about the tip of completing the first two level in under 30 seconds gets you a huge points bonus,i practised that for weeks and it even came in handy months later when at a county show the sega bus turned up and held a competition for the highest score in 5 minutes.i completely decimated everyone else even though i had to reset my go after the first level,the man writing down the scores gave me a side eye look and said "you've played this before" and i replied "once or twice" .all i got was a certificate which i have long since lost.

special mention has to go to batman returns possibly the hardest game i have ever completed,months of learning enemy placement and what bat belt weapons to use on who.what extra lives and pick ups to go after and which weren't worth the effort.a frustratingly great time.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Hey boys and girls, I used to go by Cody_D165 but I took this opportunity to update my username to my more contemporary one. I'm glad to be back with you guys!!

I've been playing the hell out of Elemental Master after getting my hands on it last week... such a cool and unique shooter, having a blast!!

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Master System II was my first console. I miss SEGA consoles. The only one I own now is the Dreamcast, which I cherish dearly. I threw away my Master System II and Mega Drive II way back in the '90s because some wires broke or something. For some reason we threw out all the games too and it's always been one of my biggest regrets.

Dying_Snail

Oct 27, 2017
Oh the Mega Drive the console that changed me from someone who plays games to a proper gamer it made gaming my main hobby.

14 year old me gets £250 from me mam out of her father's inheritance, me goes to virgin games not knowing what to get, see a Mega Drive with Sonic £189 gets that along with Street of Rage and Road Rash, me gets home sets it up and no-one see me for 4 weeks good good times.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Never seen that before. Awesome!

i need to put it on my IG, haha
that was my first real RPG experience that i saw through...so much grinding, it took me forever! bu ti adored it, and i think i took that pic both to prove i did it & cause i was somehow in awe that such a brutal game could end on such a brutal note...PS2 pulled no punches, from beginning ot end.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Dark Force can be pretty rough. I swear I am able to navigate Noah with no map or errors now because I end up spending hours grinding to prepare for him there every time.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
Streets of Rage was the first time I realised a game was really cool. It also taught me the meaning of the word "Oblige" which is a strange thing I remember. Streets of Rage 2 was coolness personified and is still just as playable today. The music is also sublime, really making the most of what the Mega Drive can do.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Streets of Rage was the first time I realised a game was really cool. It also taught me the meaning of the word "Oblige" which is a strange thing I remember. Streets of Rage 2 was coolness personified and is still just as playable today. The music is also sublime, really making the most of what the Mega Drive can do.
I can never get enough of Moon Beach from the original.

Oct 29, 2017
So I love the genesis/mdrive. I look at all the games but always play sonic or an arcade first party game like altered beast. What is a definitive great game to jump into?

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
So I love the genesis/mdrive. I look at all the games but always play sonic or an arcade first party game like altered beast. What is a definitive great game to jump into?
Depends on the genre you are looking into. If you want a long game to play then I recommend Shining Force 2. It is a SRPG and an excellent one at that.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the hell out of Elemental Master after getting my hands on it last week... such a cool and unique shooter, having a blast!!
I remember renting Elemental Master one summer a looong time ago, and not really digging it. It was strange running around on foot. I always thought it was cooler to fly around in shmups.

I'm sure my opinion would be different if I were to play it again today, but the game is so damn expensive. But what else is new? lol