• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Really? Hmm, I'll have to look into that. Although I hope you mean 240p because 480p would kind of defeat the point sans a PVM-14L5/20L5, some (all?) BVM's, and maybe some JVC and/or Ikegami monitors. I'm not too familiar with those though. The 'HD' CRT's are pretty bad for retro from what I've read (no first hand experience).

------

$601 on that sealed Snatcher with 4 hours to go!

Yes, I mean 240p. It's better to convert 480p into 240p than other resolutions. I'm still doing the research as well, but check the hardware forum at shmups, as they have a solution that has about 1.5 frames of lag that does work: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63226

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
hello Sega fans. I want to ask if there's a website that has high quality scans of the stickers on the cartridges, because my Castlevania cart sticker is badly damaged and I'd like to replace it if it's possible. sadly there are no sticker scans on thecoverproject

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
hello Sega fans. I want to ask if there's a website that has high quality scans of the stickers on the cartridges, because my Castlevania cart sticker is badly damaged and I'd like to replace it if it's possible. sadly there are no sticker scans on thecoverproject

Would something like segaretro.org have what you want?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I bought a 32X today lol. Went to a retro game shop to play in a Tetris tournament and decided to pick it up while I was there. Not crazy about the system (who is?), but I don't see these things CIB in the flesh that often.

Where do people go to for JP-21 format Genesis 2 RGB cables these days?

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how the retro threads carry over now to 2.0.

The Moon in the OT OT brought up a good point concerning another retro thread that fell off. Perhaps threads should be started by people who are more regular posters. I'm not sure what is or isn't going to carry over, but if people want to start fresh on certain retro threads for certain consoles or a mega thread, I can volunteer to keep them up to date... the only catch is that I'm a talentless hack incapable of creating a cool OT on my own so I would need the creativity of our collective for me to work with, but Im always gonna be here... that's better than one person making a cool OT that just dies from neglect/lack of time right?

IrishNinja, I know you got most Sega stuff covered and I know this thread is in good hands, I'm just thinking out loud to help bring the retro community back to where it was and maybe better.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm getting ready to preorder myself a Mega SG. Ordered the Super NT over the weekend and then went on an immediate ebay bidding spree on SNES games so I'm expecting to do the same next year when the SG arrives!

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Televator i know i've not been great at keeping my threads up to date here, but i'm all for you doing the next big catch-all retro thread OT to collect them & keep it going, that's a great idea

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Televator i know i've not been great at keeping my threads up to date here, but i'm all for you doing the next big catch-all retro thread OT to collect them & keep it going, that's a great idea
You're good Ninja! This was the only retro thread I was able to access at the time and thought maybe not everything was going to make the transition or get buried and some new OTs might be in order, but it seems most things are here. So...*shrug* heh

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be lying if I said that wasn't one of the main reasons I want one. Do the Analog consoles typically have good scanline implementation as well? That's kind of a key factor, too.
They aren't very in depth or full of filtering features, but 5x scale with scan lines looks insanely good with pretty much no adjustments. May not be enough for some though and I think the MisTer might have that more covered.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
Retro Game Boards it's a different site that resulted from the discord where GAF's former retro community gathered. If interested ypu can join RGB and ask a mod for a discord invite.

Interesting didn't even know this was a thing! Already signed up and checking the place out! Always great to have additional outlets of info and fellow retro gamer banter! ^_^

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
RGB is the place to be. Peltz created something special there. It's a nice complement to this forum (and Quarter To Three for me...).

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Happy anniversary Sonic 3

3inpL4G.jpg

lyoPI5J.jpg

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Posting an OST of one of my childhood favs

Stage 5-3's music is really nice with its track giving an air of mystery.

As kids me and my brother never defated the final boss, plus those red cards would respawn too fast and they could chase you even if they were off screen! Doesn't help that their projectiles fly all the way across screens and can come off screen too.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so goddamn relieved, a TV I got for free from Gumtree (Australia's Craigslist, basically) has turned out pretty well finally, once I worked out how to change the RGB SCART input to accept 60hz/NTSC (German TV, no branding but fluked finding a service manual). Now I just have to get the picture looking better, but here's a screen from a genuine MD1 with SCART RGB and freebie German TV because otherwise this post is worthless:
5k3cUpYl.jpg

Full-size: https://i.imgur.com/5k3cUpY.jpg

Velinos

Oct 27, 2017
I think my Valis cart is dead. I bought it a while ago and I am 99% sure that I tested it at the time, but I wanted to give it a shot recently. Black screen. I tried scrubbing the contacts many times over and over again with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol and I even tried Windex after watching a video on fixing Genesis carts. No luck, just a black screen. I haven't resorted to trying Brasso yet, since I have heard that it removes some of the metal for the contacts. The contacts are all really shiny and I see no obvious issues with the board. Capacitor looks good and traces and solder joints all look fine. I remember a few years back getting another Genesis cart that I could not get working and ended up returning it. Is this a common issue with Genesis carts? I have yet to encounter a cartridge for any other system that I was not able to get working with a little cleaning.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did you try another gen system? could be also the pins on the cart slot reader worn in preventing contact with carts with not as thick boards. just a possible factor to check and rule out.

Velinos

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I have a launch Model 1 with a 32x. I tried several other carts and they all work. I also tried it with no 32x to no avail. Don't have another model Genesis, so I might take it down to the local used game store to see if they can test it on other systems.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I have a launch Model 1 with a 32x. I tried several other carts and they all work. I also tried it with no 32x to no avail. Don't have another model Genesis, so I might take it down to the local used game store to see if they can test it on other systems.
i had what you're experiencing with one game. ninja gaiden nes. and it was totally the cart, not the system. i got a refund.

i also had i believe a snes system that would not take certain games bc the pins in the slot were pushed in from being worn and i had to take tweezers to pull them back into shape or it wouldn't make contact with certain carts.

safe bet to check all factors before ruling it dead as that's a decent priced cart.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think my Valis cart is dead. I bought it a while ago and I am 99% sure that I tested it at the time, but I wanted to give it a shot recently. Black screen. I tried scrubbing the contacts many times over and over again with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol and I even tried Windex after watching a video on fixing Genesis carts. No luck, just a black screen. I haven't resorted to trying Brasso yet, since I have heard that it removes some of the metal for the contacts. The contacts are all really shiny and I see no obvious issues with the board. Capacitor looks good and traces and solder joints all look fine. I remember a few years back getting another Genesis cart that I could not get working and ended up returning it. Is this a common issue with Genesis carts? I have yet to encounter a cartridge for any other system that I was not able to get working with a little cleaning.
You should also try to see if the cart works by leaning it towards the back and also towards the front with and without the cart shell. Before trying Brasso you should try the eraser on the end of a pencil then clean it again with iso. Also, even if all the solder joints look good you could still try to re-flow them if you can.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
i had what you're experiencing with one game. ninja gaiden nes. and it was totally the cart, not the system. i got a refund.

i also had i believe a snes system that would not take certain games bc the pins in the slot were pushed in from being worn and i had to take tweezers to pull them back into shape or it wouldn't make contact with certain carts.

safe bet to check all factors before ruling it dead as that's a decent priced cart.
Ooh, I wonder if that's what's wrong with my Virtuav Racing cart. Some parts of it display fine (like the 2D overlays) and sound is working too, but the 3D graphics are corrupted to shit :(

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Wound up buying a cheap J copy anyway!

Also now wondering if maybe I had the MD set to 60Hz. That copy of VR is PAL and apparently that screws with the SVP if there's a framerate mismatch :/
That sounds like a possibility too. SVP is a separate processor so it would depend a lot on timing to keep everything synced up properly.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Got my 8Bitdo M30 today. Just got to wait now for my Mega SG to arrive now so I can use it!

Lucky!

I had two on pre-order the moment they were announced, but I forgot to transfer the money into my spending account the day prior so I think I'm stuck waiting between 1-4 weeks for mine to even ship.

*edit* For those that are interested I just spoke with Amazon and they're waiting on 8bitdo to ship them more stock, I was told my estimated delivery date of the 19th was "likely" but we'll wait and see.

Last edited:

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise they looked like that, how do they feel?
Amazing.

I ran through and beat Mickey Castle of Illusion on my Model 1/VA2 Genesis (via SCART/Framemeister) and its a bad ass little controller. The D-pad feels fantastic and the buttons are a pretty great approximation of a proper 6 button pad. Ergonomically, I think it feels about as good if not better than a real 6 button. I ordered another one for my Model 2/Sega CD combo.:)

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing.

I ran through and beat Mickey Castle of Illusion on my Model 1/VA2 Genesis (via SCART/Framemeister) and its a bad ass little controller. The D-pad feels fantastic and the buttons are a pretty great approximation of a proper 6 button pad. Ergonomically, I think it feels about as good if not better than a real 6 button. I ordered another one for my Model 2/Sega CD combo.:)
Nice, guess I'm adding it to the shopping list then! Doesn't come with a retro receiver (for the Genesis port) though, does it?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, guess I'm adding it to the shopping list then! Doesn't come with a retro receiver (for the Genesis port) though, does it?

Only the 2.4ghz M30 comes with the receiver. If you have no interest using it on a bluetooth capable console or computer it's the one to get. The bluetooth model requires you to buy the receiver separately.

Oct 25, 2017
So...about 20 years ago or so (almost 25, now that I'm thinking about it) I would set up the VCR to record myself playing through games...proto-Let's Plays as it were. I did about 12 6 hour VHS tapes worth of stuff. I finally got around to purchasing a device that will record in 60fps to preserve some of the pseudo transparencies you'd see in systems not called Super-NES (and you'd see them there on occasion as well). I finally did the first recording: the first game on the first tape. It's not bad considering the source is a 20+ year old VHS tape. So I present a play through of Final Zone for the Genesis/Mega Drive:

Final Zone playthrough

Last edited:

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed the 2.4ghz 8bitdo pad off amazon back in October and I'm actually reasonably pleased with it, with one caveat: I seem to be one of the people have pairing troubles, but I think I found something. In order to get it to reliably pair, I have to push the adapter RIGHT IN to the console whilst pairing. Which makes me wonder if there's a problem with the receivers pin connections?

Either way, I used it with my MiSTER and real hardware and I find it a nice casual pad to use. Comfy.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit curious on what you bought. I've had these bunch of tapes I'd like to digitalize forever now and can never seem to find the proper hardware to do so.

I bought the following: RCA to HDMI
That device handles the conversion to HDMI. The for the actual video capture I used the Elgato HD60 S along with its associated video capture software.

After recording, I'm then using HitFilm Express to fix the aspect ratio so that it's closer to 4:3. Sadly I haven't found a precise way to do that last step...just eyeballing it. Still, it works well enough for my purposes.

Everyone, I have a slight personal problem, and it has to do with Mega Drives (JP).

I've bought THREE of them in the past month, just trying to get the exact model that I've always wanted. I even just region modded one, which is the ultimate way to play Genesis/Mega Drive games, by the way.

My first one was a VA7 that I was planning on doing a case swap with my VA0 Genesis...but then my annoyance with the lack of red AV Terminal writing written around the front of the Mega Drive got me.
So then I bought another model with the with red writing, but it was a VA6, and doesn't sound quite as nice as the VA0.

Now, I just bought an absolutely pristine Mega Drive, probably a VA3 or 4, for a fairly high price. Here's to hoping the sound is on point!

AND I've picking picking up Mega Drive games at a rapid pace. My wallet is not particularly happy with me.

On another note, if anyone is interested in a nice condition VA7 Mega Drive or a decent condition VA0, send me a message!