• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I debated between getting the M30 or the retro DIY kit for the original controller, but opted to go for the M30 because it's more cost effective if I end up wanting two. I also like the materials better than the original controller, and the Bluetooth retro receiver is huge compared to the 2.4ghz.

I did the DIY kit on my original SNES controllers and love it but it cost like $100 in the end to buy it all for a pair of controllers.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
RLmKdqK.jpg

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I got sort of a 30's crisis and recently had a big crush on playing Genesis again...leading to a lot of expensive purchases to expand my collection in the last two weeks as well.

Feels great though, I haven't bought that many retro games since the old forum days. Will share pics once I received everything. :D

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I think I got sort of a 30's crisis and recently had a big crush on playing Genesis again...leading to a lot of expensive purchases to expand my collection in the last two weeks as well.

Feels great though, I haven't bought that many retro games since the old forum days. Will share pics once I received everything. :D

Looking forward to it! Love seeing MD collections probably more than any other system, probably because they're much more likely to be CIB and the boxes are a nice size for displaying.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it! Love seeing MD collections probably more than any other system, probably because they're much more likely to be CIB and the boxes are a nice size for displaying.
I don't mind the manuals that much, I mean it's cool but I can do without if it makes a big difference on the price.

The box though, that's a must. They're sturdy and carry that VHS form factor that is pretty enticing to look at. A jump straight in the 90's! The only game I bought without the box recently was Mega Bomberman because it's one for those games that came in a carton box, so more rare by default...I hate those. -_-

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

Nothing to be ashamed of. At least you picked the Genesis over some lesser system like the SNES. Can't wait to see pics. I love seeing Sega collections.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

did you get any rpgs w/ hint books?

I don't mind the manuals that much, I mean it's cool but I can do without if it makes a big difference on the price.

The box though, that's a must.

This is definitely me, too. Gotta have the plastic box, but you can shave off some serious cash without the manual. However, the JP Mega Drive games have gorgeous full color manuals, so I'm all in with those.

If the game only was released in a cardboard box, I generally get cart only, 32x excluded.
The cardboard is too much of a pain to upkeep, and doesn't have that 90s feel to it.

Looking forward to seeing those games. This thread needs more collection pics.

Love that it's getting a reprint. That needs to be done far more often in the future for Mega Drive games.

Don't love that it got a new cover that seems like two anime girls are photobombing the original glorious cover art. I guess I might always be able to find a new cover art on eBay or something.

Also, nitpicky detail - the MD logo on the top of the spine is gone. Wonder if that has to do with copyright issues with Sega?

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Also, nitpicky detail - the MD logo on the top of the spine is gone. Wonder if that has to do with copyright issues with Sega?
Probably can't use Sega branding without acquiring a license for it, and either Sega won't bother to expend energy for licensing super niche Mega Drive reprints in 2019 or the publisher simply doesn't want to bother with it.

Also, it's at least a little creepy to criticize the art for having "underage" girls on it when literally nothing sexual is implied.

Probably can't use Sega branding without acquiring a license for it, and either Sega won't bother to expend energy for licensing super niche Mega Drive reprints in 2019 or the publisher simply doesn't want to bother with it.

Also, it's at least a little creepy to criticize the art for having "underage" girls on it when literally nothing sexual is implied.

Ok, I figured it was licensing issues.

Apologies for that take - I've removed that reference.

It was an assumption and commentary, given that many Japanese games display disturbingly young females, oftentimes underage, in their games for a predominantly male audience, especially during the time this game was released. That, in and of itself, is the part I was disturbed by, and I felt that the cover art would've been better without it, especially considering they seem to be completely and nonsensically shoehorned into the art.

I am not sure why you felt overtly sexualizing the females has anything to do with my comment. My point implied nothing of the sort, and I am a bit disturbed myself by your insinuations.

But, that's a whole different set of issues that probably are not suited to a Mega Drive thread. Please PM me if you feel like further discussion is needed.

BACK ON TOPIC:

However, I still think the cover art is a downgrade from the original, but again, I'm guessing maybe licensing issues are partially to blame for that?

Yet, the cover art is indeed mostly authentic to the storyline of Gleylancer, so...?

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got some games in the mail today!! Not everything I was waiting for but I'll take pics tonight.

Man, buying/receiving Genesis games feels great! It'll be fun to shell out the Retrode and give it a whirl as well, it's been since forever!

-Shinobi III
-Shining in the Darkness
-Phantasy Star II
-Ecco the Dolphin
-World of Illusion - Featuring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck.

All complete and in pretty great condition! Minus Phantasy Star II which doesn't have the manual, but it has the mini strategy guide! :D

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
That's a great group of games! World of Illusion is super easy but it's so pretty. I used to own it. I have to get that one back into my collection. I just re-bought Castle of Illusion a couple weeks ago.

Never sell your games, kids!

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a great group of games! World of Illusion is super easy but it's so pretty. I used to own it. I have to get that one back into my collection. I just re-bought Castle of Illusion a couple weeks ago.

Never sell your games, kids!

I have Castle of Illusion on the way too, should get next week. I actually never played it so I'm curious to try it out.

About World of Illusion, that's a weird story, I woke up Sunday last week after dreaming/remembered I was playing the game with my childhood friend as my 6 years old self. I then remembered that I swore to myself that I would buy that game to have it in my collection. So I got up real quick to browse my collection, waking up my GF at the same time as she asks me ''What the hell are you doing?''.

''I had a dream about a Genesis game I apparently don't have and I have to go buy it right now!'' So I went on my PC right away and got it on Ebay.

I'm weird.

:lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got some games in the mail today!! Not everything I was waiting for but I'll take pics tonight.

Man, buying/receiving Genesis games feels great! It'll be fun to shell out the Retrode and give it a whirl as well, it's been since forever!

-Shinobi III
-Shining in the Darkness
-Phantasy Star II
-Ecco the Dolphin
-World of Illusion - Featuring Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck.

All complete and in pretty great condition! Minus Phantasy Star II which doesn't have the manual, but it has the mini strategy guide! :D
oh man, congrats! the hint book is way better than the manual.

Is this a first? I mean, a reprint of a Genesis/MD game? It is for me at least!

If yes, that's a neat precedent to set.
it's licenced, similar to the megaman 2 reprint that was made last year. i'm sure there'll be collectors getting nasty over it saying go get an everdrive, raspberry pi etc. but i think it's neat having one of the original team's do the new artwork.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I have Castle of Illusion on the way too, should get next week. I actually never played it so I'm curious to try it out.

About World of Illusion, that's a weird story, I woke up Sunday last week after dreaming/remembered I was playing the game with my childhood friend as my 6 years old self. I then remembered that I swore to myself that I would buy that game to have it in my collection. So I got up real quick to browse my collection, waking up my GF at the same time as she asks me ''What the hell are you doing?''.

''I had a dream about a Genesis game I apparently don't have and I have to go buy it right now!'' So I went on my PC right away and got it on Ebay.

I'm weird.

:lol

Sounds dangerous. Although I find myself looking through online storefronts for retro games even when I'm tapped for cash, so know that pain.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh man, congrats! the hint book is way better than the manual.

it's licenced, similar to the megaman 2 reprint that was made last year. i'm sure there'll be collectors getting nasty over it saying go get an everdrive, raspberry pi etc. but i think it's neat having one of the original team's do the new artwork.

Thanks, and yeah, I agree with you there.

Did any of you guys get Pier Solar back then? I noticed you can pre-order a reprint on their website so I'm interested. I checked the CGR review and it seems pretty legit. First print seems to sell around 500$ on Ebay so yeah...let's scratch that option lol.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Thanks, and yeah, I agree with you there.

Did any of you guys get Pier Solar back then? I noticed you can pre-order a reprint on their website so I'm interested. I checked the CGR review and it seems pretty legit. First print seems to sell around 500$ on Ebay so yeah...let's scratch that option lol.
I got Pier Solar ages ago but I would kill whatever demon is telling you to do business with Watermelon today

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope you have a lot of time.

I shit you not, I just watched everything! Slow Friday night relaxing watching that.

Yeah...it sure feels wrong to support WM since Fonzie, while particularly talented, seems like a relatively awful and secretive individual to work with, especially in a development environment. However Tulio seems like a top notch dude and he did put a lot of work into PS, not sure if he's still getting money out of reprints though, I doubt it after watching that third part. I'd like to discover what everyone did with PS, when the team was actually a team, minus the final stage. The payment problems are also alarming.

I'm conflicted, honestly, because all third party ways to obtain the game on Genesis are insanely priced. So the only decent way to get a copy would be through WM.

Paprium though, if it ever comes out, not sure I'd buy it, it's a shame because the material released on it seems extremely promising. :(

Last edited:

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I shit you not, I just watched everything! Slow Friday night relaxing watching that.

Yeah...it sure feels wrong to support WM since Fonzie, while particularly talented, seems like a relatively awful and secretive individual to work with, especially in a development environment. However Tulio seems like a top notch dude and he did put a lot of work into PS, not sure if he's still getting money out of reprints though, I doubt it after watching that third part. I'd like to discover what everyone did with PS, when the team was actually a team, minus the final stage. The payment problems are also alarming.

I'm conflicted, honestly, because all third party ways to obtain the game on Genesis are insanely priced. So the only decent way to get a copy would be through WM.

Paprium though, if it ever comes out, not sure I'd buy it, it's a shame because the material released on it seems extremely promising. :(
Pier Solar is a pretty good game that I would probably still buy if the only issue was that Fonzie was a dick. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you ordered a copy and it was just never delivered unless there's evidence (I admittedly haven't looked into it) that they are actually being sent out.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pier Solar is a pretty good game that I would probably still buy if the only issue was that Fonzie was a dick. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you ordered a copy and it was just never delivered unless there's evidence (I admittedly haven't looked into it) that they are actually being sent out.

Yeah...I'll sleep on that. Perhaps I'll try contacting the support to see if they have an ETA for the reprint.

On another note I got back home and took the newcomers on picture!

BnJQoAI.jpg

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
great pickups..

Sad news, Gley Lancer sold out already.... at Amazon Japan.
hopefully i can find it elsewhere

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coming back from a road trip with the GF, we did Quebec -> Sherbrooke -> Drummondville -> Quebec. Got the below games:

-Joe & Mac (w/slightly damaged art/box and sticker on cart that someone tried to remove and ripped a bit of the label...not sure I'll try after that...but I got it for 50$ CAD)

-Street of Rage 3 (w/box) for 100$ and everything below for free because I was coming from quite the distance.

-Aladdin (w/box and a lot of stickers on the cart, but the kind I think I'll be able to remove.)
-Mortal Kombat 3 (w/box)
-Virtua Racing (w/box and art in disastrous, irrecuperable conditions, but the guy offered it for free so why not!)
-Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool (w/box and sticker on cart.)

Will post pics later...I'll try to have everything clean as much as possible. Stickers are a cancer ffs.

Coming back from a road trip with the GF, we did Quebec -> Sherbrooke -> Drummondville -> Quebec. Got the below games:

-Joe & Mac (w/slightly damaged art/box and sticker on cart that someone tried to remove and ripped a bit of the label...not sure I'll try after that...but I got it for 50$ CAD)

-Street of Rage 3 (w/box) for 100$ and everything below for free because I was coming from quite the distance.

-Aladdin (w/box and a lot of stickers on the cart, but the kind I think I'll be able to remove.)
-Mortal Kombat 3 (w/box)
-Virtua Racing (w/box and art in disastrous, irrecuperable conditions, but the guy offered it for free so why not!)
-Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool (w/box and sticker on cart.)

Congrats on the Streets of Rage 3. Such a fantastic game that doesn't get enough love anywhere, and very close to the quality of SoR2. Someone should give it some time in the spotlight.

In fact, I may like the soundtrack better than SoR2...! Should I be admitting this in a public forum? Don't care, cuz it's amazing.

That Chester Cheetah, man...Too Cool to Fool indeed.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This SOR3 club mix is especially good, love The Poets I and II:

SOR3 doesn't open up with a tune as good as Go Straight but taken as a whole I think it really stands out as one of the best 16bit soundtracks.

This SOR3 club mix is especially good, love The Poets I and II:

SOR3 doesn't open up with a tune as good as Go Straight but taken as a whole I think it really stands out as one of the best 16bit soundtracks.

That's an interesting version of the OST - what exactly is going on there?

I don't think I can argue that the intro song for SoR 3 is better than Go Straight, but it does me more hype. I have a VA6 Mega Drive that pumps out the bass, and this soundtrack sounds obscene in the best of ways.
I also probably lean towards SoR3 because I'm a big fan of hardcore dance music/gabber.

I guess I'll quickly give my two cents -

I will say this for both games - they did an absolutely exquisite job matching the graphics, gameplay, and music together.

SoR2 has crisp, colorful graphics that look fantastic through the whole game. The music is smooth electronic dance and house with the occasional harsher song thrown in. The whole game just is "smooth" and classy. The gameplay and level design has great variety, and I enjoy it a bit more than SoR3 on the whole.

SoR3...well, the music is darker, more chaotic, the game's colors are more subdued and more...realistic, I guess?
And the gameplay is fast for a beat 'em up of this generation. It's so fast that Axel is actually too slow to be good in this game, and Skate is a very viable character, launching into furiously quick combos before the enemies can recover.
It fits perfectly with the storyline, and the music accompanies the gameplay and graphics so nicely.

Unfortunately, the level design isn't as inventive or original as SoR2, which is the only bad thing I can say about it.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks davidwhangchoi ! :D​
Welp, first of all Chester may be dead, RIP, can't have it ripped on my Retrode, will try on my real Genesis soon enough to confirm.​
Spent two hours of my evening removing stickers, but overall everthing came out in better condition than expected.​
For example, here's Joe and Mac before from the seller's listing. (See that the previous owners tried to rip that nasty sticker off the right side with a nasty rip of the label and the top left of the sticker as well, which inevitably ripped a bit.)​
And then after a lot of Q-tips, lots of lighter fuel and lots of patience, I basically managed to save everything that wasn't ripped...it's not perfect of course, but I'm pretty glad of the result, also removed the sticker on the top right of the boxart.​
KYZlJuv.jpg
Aladdin also proved to be a complicated mess to refurb, it had multiple layers of tapes, in fact I'm not even done with it, there's still one tape to remove, but I'm still not sure, at it ain't too visible. I think the damage was already there because if you check the 'before' photo carefully you can see the rips beneath the stickers, like below the '02' of the first pic.​
Aladdin before (The box itself is pretty perfect at least, thank god.).​
And after, not done, but I'm stopping there as I've been doing this for way too long. It's still miles better, though a little damage was done.​
MLmCChY.jpg
U0dOUy4.jpg
The rest is top notch....except of course Virtua Racing's box, which I'll put in spoilers because it could make you have nightmares at night. :)​
Ni9Da6y.jpg
Qwq2TiA.jpg
n7GdwtS.jpg
ghy8ohI.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they have you dig that Virtua Racing up from the yard? Nice pick ups though.

IKR, the box is terrible, cart is OK though, and the dude basically gave it to me for free, so I didn't mind. I'll have to try the cart in a real Genesis to verify it though because my Retrode cannot read it, though unlike Chester, it must just not recognise the SVP chip, therefore I can't dump it.

I asked him though ''Did you see what happened with that or was it already like that?'' and it was the latter.

Problem with that box is that it's made for that particular cartridge, so not easy to replace.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Finally took everything off my Genesis shelves to alphabetize them to see what I have. Missing a few that I thought I had like Crusader of Centy, and Shining Force. Going to be picking up collecting again and just gotta figure out what big stuff I'm missing from each system.

Edit: What the heck could have sworn I had Dragon's Revenge.

Everything I got:
wQ1yBlN.jpg

V3r7l4o.jpg

gxGYIVF.jpg

clRpsWk.jpg

YsOHyqR.jpg

oBkNIZ4.jpg

JnzN5xL.jpg

HTBHdvl.jpg

OfHTB25.jpg

Ghlwp4G.jpg

6Yoz9Nj.jpg

wrErMuF.jpg

32DSwep.jpg

MGi5RA7.jpg

jC85qCJ.jpg

SeTIGbZ.jpg

FWm0pGS.jpg

cijty1t.jpg

70ToVab.jpg

And my loose carts. Need to get some cases for them.
93V0nav.jpg

Last edited: