• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I think I might replace Death Adder with Captain Onishima, once I get the option to enhance either. Lacking the materials currently. I used up a good chunk of my Beyondering excess stamina on mass looting in the first area, then I reached level 25 and unlocked some new thing... where you have to bring characters level 25 or greater, of which I have zero. The progress gating in this continues to amaze.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like Demiurge and SEGA Heroes, but I think they did a better job with Crazy Taxi Tycoon (Gazillionaire before relaunch). That game kept me playing and I 100%'d it without spending a dime due to their ad model. Took the better part of a year tho.

I'm getting weary of this game's roadblocks. Having a separate campaign for non-base characters is fine, but I think it was a bad move keeping them from being playable in the regular campaign. The segregation gums up the pipes - especially when gold coin acquisition slows to a snail's pace. I felt more compelled to spend money when it seemed like speeding up a fair enough gameplay loop. I don't like feeling nagged to spend money.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Game is fun but a piece of shit cash grab. Can barely get anywhere after level 4. So now I'm waiting everyday just to loot the Amy and red girls shards. Which they are stingy as fuck with...

And my jet set radio characters are so much better but you aren't allowed to use them in the campaign... Even though they are farmable in the campaign itself. So now I have to choose whether to level campaign characters or the characters that can actually get shit done in the events...

Game is fucking atrocious and it has no notch support. At least in Android. My phone's notch gets in the way.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
You should try Gems of War. It's by the original PQ devs and has gobloads of content that unless they've changed things in the year since I stopped playing it you don't need to pay for anything to have fun with.

Thanks for that recommendation. I downloaded it and have been enjoying it so far. I'm still bummed that Sega Heroes didn't work out because of the BS changes they made, but it would've been dumb of me to keep holding out for them to do something actually positive.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the generosity of chest at times, especially on "Sega Sunday" doubles day. Getting 4k gold as a lump sum feels GOOD. Of course, between those times, I just feel like it's impossible to earn money, haha. But this game is full of "every other day" content, rather than "each part, EVERY DAY!" stuff. Some days I get coins for Survival, somedays Arena, and some days Gold for the special offers.

I think Marvel Future Fight has made me more patient, lol. What seems "long" in this game may take a week or 2. Long in Future Fight is like 1 to 3 months.

Getting characters to 25 / 26 now, and I have so much easier a time in Arena. I'm actually surprised at how much I'm steam-rolling teams that claim to have around the same power I do. Also, unlocked Sonic. He seems like the "Death Adder of Blue" at this point. He's an amazingly useful, versatile character that can blitz enemies before they get to make turns. Having him at Lvl 9 beside 15 or 16 characters STILL makes him feel strong.

I feel like the 20s in levels have made me appreciate power and fully-leveled characters much more. Pre-20 felt like SO MUCH of the game was unfair and impossible to beat. I don't really care that the Beyondering and normal campaign split the characters; That daily missions, arena, and survival are where you get to use your full cast. So you have one mode for certain characters, another mode for others, and then 2 or 3 modes where you get to mix whatever you want.

I really hope they would give new players the starting "Beyondering Team" perk too, however. That free drop made the gating of content much more tolerable.

I'm currently back into Gems of War on XB1 also, and I actually miss some of Sega's combo mechanic and character uniqueness, while playing Gems. However, Gems is so, SO lax on it's pay model and rush to content, that it feels like something I should have paid for multiple times by now. I've played the game on and off for multiple years at this point, and it's still pumping out fresh fun.

Sega's gating of content is FINE as long as it's not your main game. There's no reason to need to rush, competitive Arena can easily be conquered by free units, you can boost up your favorites by spending free gems on Premium shards, and leveling up characters to higher stars helps you in a variety of modes, not just 1. Play it as a side distraction that happens to have some nice Sega Fanservice, and their decisions become much less frustrating.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad JSR is the next Heroic event, I didn't have Rolf and Wren upgraded enough to do much of anything during the Phantasy Star events but I've been heavily using and upgrading Beat/Gum/Onishima so I might actually have Onishima promoted high enough to unlock DJ Professor K by the time his event rolls around.

Oct 27, 2017
So what characters are actually worth leveling? I'm focusing on ax battler. But I saw people saying he sucked... He definitely lives longer than any or blaze on my team

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what characters are actually worth leveling? I'm focusing on ax battler. But I saw people saying he sucked... He definitely lives longer than any or blaze on my team
Honestly I like AiAi a lot. He heals he gives shields he is a great support character and his shards are pretty easy to come by.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

I haven't seen a character yet that's truly not worth it. Everyone has their own unigue thing. Like I don't think I've met a character yet that can stun an ENTIRE ENEMY GROUP like Ax Battler (who battles with a Sword) yet. Blaze has a trait where she does MORE damage before the boost meter is filled, so she works like an assassin to thwomp early threats. Rolf has good AOE damage, but hurts your group to do it. This is offset by him having the highest single-target heal so far. Of course, this means his star special causes no damage at all to the enemy. Adam isn't as crazy strong as Death Adder, but he can combo with Crits between multiple character, in a way that only feels comparable to Sonic. Amy Rose is also the only character I know that can neutralize Taunts. And Rogue's Shadow-element special has been the strongest single-target spell I've seen in the game. AND it stuns for 2 rounds.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just got a mail with the medals to unlock four characters for Beyondering. Captain Onishima is the only one I didn't already have, but at least it's a sign they recognize player complaints.

I got curious and reinstalled to check; no mail for me. (But I still had arena rewards waiting.) What a shame. Uninstalled once again.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen a character yet that's truly not worth it. Everyone has their own unigue thing. Like I don't think I've met a character yet that can stun an ENTIRE ENEMY GROUP like Ax Battler (who battles with a Sword) yet. Blaze has a trait where she does MORE damage before the boost meter is filled, so she works like an assassin to thwomp early threats. Rolf has good AOE damage, but hurts your group to do it. This is offset by him having the highest single-target heal so far. Of course, this means his star special causes no damage at all to the enemy. Adam isn't as crazy strong as Death Adder, but he can combo with Crits between multiple character, in a way that only feels comparable to Sonic. Amy Rose is also the only character I know that can neutralize Taunts. And Rogue's Shadow-element special has been the strongest single-target spell I've seen in the game. AND it stuns for 2 rounds.

It's also worth leveling everyone in the game, because the area that unlocks after level 25 requires characters of level 25 or higher, and you're restricted to certain games. Saw one that was Streets of Rage and Shinobi (I think), and another that was across three games, but you couldn't use anyone outside of those. My biggest problem right now is the caterkillers that have physical damage immunity, but I'll get there.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who's been ravaged by those blue physical-resisting Caterkillers in Survival mode can now rest easy, as they (and those stone guys who resist normal matches, never found them to be very tough but w/e) have been replaced with Phantasy Star Sorcerers in the latest update.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Swapped out Rouge (who is good and I like) with Sonic and he's on another level when you get good combos with him. He's speeding about the place, taking down enemies like he owns the place. Made some levels I was having trouble with a cinch.

Windforce

Dec 8, 2017
I'm having a lot of fun with the game especially because of nostalgia towards the Sega characters.

I'm worried with rewards being kinda static and growth requiring each time more gold and shards, though. Things are gonna slow down a lot once I get heroes to 4-5 stars and they require over 100 shards each not to mention the leveling gold. Also, it's bad that Blaze from SoR is a common so her endgame potential is forever ruined/outclassed by rare/epic/legendary base rarity heroes.

All in all, enjoying the game, hoping to see more frachises added (Virtua Fighter, Shining Force, Fighting Vipers, etc).

Also, hi, my first post here. :)

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm top 6 in Arena right now(At 6)

The level 1 guy is using high ranked guys, basically money hatted his way to the top. He has crappy characters too!

Swapped out Rouge (who is good and I like) with Sonic and he's on another level when you get good combos with him. He's speeding about the place, taking down enemies like he owns the place. Made some levels I was having trouble with a cinch.

I thought about using Sonic but Rouge with her mana stealing move and nuke/stun ultimate is way too good.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I don't know if I can carry on much longer, I keep falling down in the arena ranking and others keep getting stronger much faster than I do, so I start suspecting that there are too many whales on my server.
Feels like this game is a good example why you should never allow pay to win in a competitive mode.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've lost the will to keep up with this. Nothing's really going on with it except they keep moving the pieces around and adding new currency.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I can carry on much longer, I keep falling down in the arena ranking and others keep getting stronger much faster than I do, so I start suspecting that there are too many whales on my server.
Feels like this game is a good example why you should never allow pay to win in a competitive mode.

If you have them, Death Adder/Rouge/Gilliam(The green Barbarian dude)/Beat are a great combo. That's how I got to the top 100 in rank(many times punching above my weight.) Focus on powering up Beats/Rouges skill and use Death Adders skill to increase the damage enemies take from Rouges skill. Beat adds Green/Blue star tiles, Green star tiles to activate the Green Barbs taunt and blue stars to refill rouges nuke. Rouges party crit buff empowers the Green Barbs passive where he gains health on any crit.

Avoid matches with the yellow ninja and the Green Mob Boss dude. Shadow and the legendary mage dude(Forget his name) are also hard avoids. Shadow is doable but you need to take him down first or second. If there's a sonic on the enemy team, always take him down first.

It's easy if you abuse knowledge of the game and which characters to avoid.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
If you have them, Death Adder/Rouge/Gilliam(The green Barbarian dude)/Beat are a great combo. That's how I got to the top 100 in rank(many times punching above my weight.) Focus on powering up Beats/Rouges skill and use Death Adders skill to increase the damage enemies take from Rouges skill. Beat adds Green/Blue star tiles, Green star tiles to activate the Green Barbs taunt and blue stars to refill rouges nuke. Rouges party crit buff empowers the Green Barbs passive where he gains health on any crit.

Avoid matches with the yellow ninja and the Green Mob Boss dude. Shadow and the legendary mage dude(Forget his name) are also hard avoids. Shadow is doable but you need to take him down first or second. If there's a sonic on the enemy team, always take him down first.

It's easy if you abuse knowledge of the game and which characters to avoid.

Hmm, maybe I should look over my team and go for higher leveled enemies,

I currently don't go for opponents which has a power level of more than 1000 above mine.

And I currently use Rogue (high damage), Blaze (can rip through an opponent team in the start of the match IF i get a good starting board). Amy (partly to deal with taunts and partly cause I wasn't sure who to pick otherwise) and Aiai (wanted a healer/shielder, was originally going for Alys, but devs shut down all ways for me to collect her shards).

Characters that are closest in shard levels to match the main team are Death Adder, Wren and Rolf.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, maybe I should look over my team and go for higher leveled enemies,

I currently don't go for opponents which has a power level of more than 1000 above mine.

And I currently use Rogue (high damage), Blaze (can rip through an opponent team in the start of the match IF i get a good starting board). Amy (partly to deal with taunts and partly cause I wasn't sure who to pick otherwise) and Aiai (wanted a healer/shielder, was originally going for Alys, but devs shut down all ways for me to collect her shards).

Characters that are closest in shard levels to match the main team are Death Adder, Wren and Rolf.

Death Adder works as a buffer. That is, he can take hits, and he empowers Rogue. I don't have experience with most of your picks, but your team seems incredibly squishy? I made it to top 50 with Adder/Gilliam because one is a consistent taunter(Unlike Knuckles who requires a player death) and the other is a beefy brute of sorts. Death Adders star attack shouldn't be underestimated.

Rogue is good all around and in most teams if only because of her mana stealing and her nuke. (Also her regular match attack is dark element, meaning that Death Adders debuff from his super will also buff it)

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
There's a free holiday gift now, 300 energy and a few free premium chests. I came away with 9000 gold and 100 medals including 10 for three different legendary characters. Still not enough to unlock them, but free is free.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
There's a free holiday gift now, 300 energy and a few free premium chests. I came away with 9000 gold and 100 medals including 10 for three different legendary characters. Still not enough to unlock them, but free is free.
Nice little bonus. Everyone is at least 3 stars now and a couple on 4. It's certainly grindy now just trying to promote these to higher stars but this helps a little.

Windforce

Dec 8, 2017

You got really lucky! I got no shards for legendary heroes, but of course was happy with the gift!

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Ended up with 10 shards for 4 legendaries, Tyris, Hotsuma, Tails and Baby.
Think I have enough shards to unlock Tyris by the time Golden Axe events rolls out in the future.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Got enough shards from the free Christmas chest to finally unlock Sonic :)! Man that makes things easier, lol.

I agree it's pretty BS that I can't use any of these OP Jet Set characters in the main campaign.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I need 15 medals to unlock MeeMee and then all the regular characters are available, and I'll still have zero legendary ones unlocked, heh. Slow and steady on those ones, even unlocking them doesn't immediately make them viable anyway. Been trying to loot for medals when I can and progress in the campaign, almost done with zone 13. I hit a wall in zone 3 of the Beyondering as well, but I still feel like small progress is being made daily. I feel like everything about this game could be altered slightly to make it more enjoyable, but I'm still having fun with it.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Just hit level 15 and the Beyondering has finally opened up. It'd gotten to the point whereby progress in the campaign was impossible because of the healing ninjas.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
>dutifully loot to get a 5-star team ready for the onishima event so i can unlock professor k
>turns out you need a 7-star team to get enough shards to do so

welp

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
Then I guess I wasn't crazy when I thought there were less shards in this event.

I wonder how low the devs can go when it comes to moneygating.

How about the DJ Professor K offer needing 14,625 gems to unlock all 5 tiers, which is just shy of $200? It says it's 25% off, but holy hell.

If they don't loosen it up a little bit, this game isn't gonna have legs at all. Maybe they know that and they're trying to exploit whales now? Some dude in my leaderboard is level 37. Like, how.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
How about the DJ Professor K offer needing 14,625 gems to unlock all 5 tiers, which is just shy of $200? It says it's 25% off, but holy hell.

If they don't loosen it up a little bit, this game isn't gonna have legs at all. Maybe they know that and they're trying to exploit whales now? Some dude in my leaderboard is level 37. Like, how.

Doesn't necressary mean a whale. He could have started out prerelease. I'm at level 42 and I haven't paid a thing to the game. i feel like gems need to be around 10% of what they cost today.

The game was rather promising back then with better pricing and shard droprates, and you could buy legendaries with standard arena/survival tokens too! That's what keep me hanging on, a hope that devs Will roll back the game.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why Demiurge just don't copied marvel puzzle quest, it requires to play a shitload to be f2p but at least there is the option, instead is like they really don't want you to play their own game

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Think it started in April-May but I didn't start playing until August-September. Came in 1-2 weeks before they added the JSR characters.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Every time I see this thread popup I misread it as "Sonic Heroes announced for mobile" and get a little excited and confused and I just wanted to come in here and express my disappointment.

Hope y'all are enjoying this, though. Worth it? I don't play any mobile games, might be nice to have something to waste time on when I'm idle at work.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Crazy Taxi batch is next, as BD Joe has been added? It would be cool if they just did single characters, but I hope they're not all legendary.

Think it started in April-May but I didn't start playing until August-September. Came in 1-2 weeks before they added the JSR characters.
I saw some dude on twitter with every character at level 70, he must've started right at the outset, heh.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whew lads, I did it.
zoZLIIu.jpg

My team:
nswYgrG.jpg

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Congrats. I'm falling way behind in the arena now. Though I only use the free keys. I was as far back as 1700 this morning and I'm usually in the top 1000. So that will hurt my ability to get shards as often.

How stingy is the Guantlet event for money. You don't even get a bonus for completing all levels. It's easy but the rewards are low.

Money is so thin on the ground now. And well, so are gems and enhance crystals. Trying to grind for shards to promote my characters is very slow going really.

Really could do with a nice message from the devs with a sack full of goodies sometime soon...

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats. I'm falling way behind in the arena now. Though I only use the free keys. I was as far back as 1700 this morning and I'm usually in the top 1000. So that will hurt my ability to get shards as often.

How stingy is the Guantlet event for money. You don't even get a bonus for completing all levels. It's easy but the rewards are low.

Money is so thin on the ground now. And well, so are gems and enhance crystals. Trying to grind for shards to promote my characters is very slow going really.

Really could do with a nice message from the devs with a sack full of goodies sometime soon...

Yeah the gold gain sucks. Right now I'm subsisting off arena by the gems you get for being top 50(Which allows me a rebuy atleast once a day).

also promoting your character to blue star/6th promotion costs 45k, yikes.

agc

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
My problem at the moment is getting my characters past level 30. It takes so long to get 500 stones just to promote one. Any tips on getting them faster?

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My problem at the moment is getting my characters past level 30. It takes so long to get 500 stones just to promote one. Any tips on getting them faster?

I managed to get lucky when I started the game and they sold 500 spirit stones for 12k gold(Back when they gave you like 50k gold to start) so I brought a couple of stacks for those, and then steadily farmed from the special events.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Certainly hitting a block there too. I think once all my characters are level 30 and 4 stars, I'll just concentrate on levelling 4 main ones. Although with the campaign restrictions as well as the various events needing lots of different levelling requirements, I doubt that'll get me far for long.

Finally managed to do a whole survival run for the first time yesterday. Although today's enemies are a tougher bunch and didn't make it nearly as far.

Windforce

Dec 8, 2017

I'm buying the 500 stone packs from the store when I need a level break. Sometimes it's available for gold, sometimes for 200 gems.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this game is really desperate for my money. First they gave me a "Holiday MEGA Gem Bundle!" with "OVER 400% VALUE!!!!!!" that gives me 2200 gems for $10... and today I got a new offer to buy 2500 gems and a loot box for $5 because I reached Level 40 (ironically only considered a mere 10x value). You know what, it is a pretty good deal, maybe I should finally spend a couple bu-

*sees new B.D. Joe event that requires him to be in your party beyond the first stage, except B.D. Joe is currently locked behind a paywall of absurd spending or extreme loot box luck*

...swing and a miss, Sega Heroes.

Credo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like nothing's changed. I keep coming back to this thread from time to time because I liked the concept of the game and hoped they'd change for the better, but it seems like instead of slowly devolving into bad practices like most games, they just jumped right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.