• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
cFBQGJ5.png

Developer/Publisher: Demiurge / Sega
Genre: Match-3 Puzzler
Platform: iOS / Android
Release Date: November 15th, 2018
Price: Your Soul

Sega Heroes is a F2P mobile match-3 puzzle game starring all your favorite Sega heroes... except for your personal favorite series, which will never ever ever get in.

hR08gecl.jpg
kAtyquGl.jpg
JUz8fTIl.jpg
RglMWBHl.jpg

Two Campaigns: Play through Campaign and Beyondering to stop Dremagen from taking over the worlds of Sega.

Arena Matches: Go up against other players' CPU-controlled teams to fight for dominance and prizes on the Arena leaderboards.

Survival Mode: Battle against a 12 stage onslaught of enemies to earn tokens to spend in the Survival shop.

Daily Events: Play the rotating Daily Events to earn gold and other loot.

Guilds: Team up with fellow players to chat and earn prizes in weekly events. (Note: The Era guild is currently full, but feel free to post anyway if you'd like in and you'll be next in line if someone drops out.)

A Huge Roster: With over 40 characters and counting, there's something for every Sega fan. New characters release every month, generally as rewards for events.

Looking for a quick list of characters currently in the game? Look no further:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic

Tails
Knuckles

Amy Rose
Cream & Cheese
Big the Cat

Rouge

Shadow

Golden Axe

Ax Battler
Tyris Flare
Gilius Thunderhead
Death Adder

Shinobi

Joe Musashi
Hotsuma
Hibana
Ageha

Streets of Rage

Axel Stone
Blaze Fielding
Adam Hunter
Mr. X

Super Monkey Ball

AiAi
MeeMee
Baby
GonGon

Jet Set Radio

Beat
Gum
Captain Onishima
DJ Professor K

Phantasy Star

Rolf
Wren
Alis Landale
Lassic

Crazy Taxi

Axel
B.D. Joe
Gena

Gus

House of the Dead

Thomas Rogan
Agent G
Dr. Curien
Ebitan

Valkyria Chronicles

Alicia Melchiott
Welkin Gunther
Selvaria Bles
Largo Potter

Shenmue

Ryo Hazuki
Shenhua
Ren of Heavens
Tom Johnson

Altered Beast

Werewolf
Werebear
Weredragon
Neff

ChuChu Rocket!

Chuih
ChuPea
ChuBach
ChuBei

Tips and Tricks

for New Players

• Don't spend your gems on deals in the shop. Instead, use them for energy refills.

• In Survival Mode, use your weakest characters first to build up the Rally Meter before you send in the big guns.

• Legendary events require you to have heroes of 4 star rank or higher. Even if you don't use certain heroes, it's a good idea to keep promoting them all in case they're needed to get a Legendary hero you want.

• Picking your favorite characters is fun, but picking characters with synergy will get you farther. Check each hero's abilities to see what they do and how well they'll work with other heroes. A popular team is Sonic, Big, Shadow, and Joe Musashi. Sonic does big damage with his star tiles, Big taunts and heals himself while creating more blue star tiles for Sonic, Shadow creates even more star tiles for everyone, and Joe uses his MAX Skill to set off all those star tiles. Synergy!

• Join the official Sega Heroes Discord to chat with the wider playerbase and get instant updates on what's new: https://discord.gg/segaheroes

So yeah, let's get this out of the way: yes, it's a F2P mobile game; yes, the monetization model is pretty rough; no, you probably shouldn't spend real money on it.

Can it be fun? Sure, especially once you finally get some teams with synergy. Match 3 is pretty tried and true at this point. If you learn how to play F2P and accept that you won't be getting the brand new shiny characters for a month or three after their debuts, you can enjoy this game.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'll never forget how disappointed I was with the announcement. Had it been something like Sonic Dash with SEGA characters...

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
This game is a bit of a bummer. I love cross-over games and I love Sega. But the game play is pretty mediocre and some of the character art is downright hideous.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
For a Sega crossover title, they sure do use a lot of the same enemies over and over.

Anyway, I guess I'd better stop ignoring Big and Joe now, I never knew about any of this synergy stuff.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised people fell back into this game. Last I checked, they basically wrecked it and the monetization got immensely stupid. I got burned pretty hard on it, despite trying to like it.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
So yeah, let's get this out of the way: yes, it's a F2P mobile game; yes, the monetization model is pretty rough; no, you probably shouldn't spend real money on it.

Can it be fun? Sure, especially once you finally get some teams with synergy. Match 3 is pretty tried and true at this point. If you learn how to play F2P and accept that you won't be getting the brand new shiny characters for a month or three after their debuts, you can enjoy this game.

For a Sega crossover title, they sure do use a lot of the same enemies over and over.

Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't added any non-playable boss enemies beyond Eggman and Metal Sonic (and palate swapped Death Adder). New characters start showing up as bosses eventually, so I guess they're content with that. I wanna fight Dark Force though.

I'm surprised people fell back into this game. Last I checked, they basically wrecked it and the monetization got immensely stupid. I got burned pretty hard on it, despite trying to like it.

Well, the monetization was always pretty dumb. What they did was adjust a lot of the character farming spots and restricted characters into certain modes. I went from daily play to checking in every now and then after that. But, they did some improvements (they tell you about character restrictions in events now, for instance!) and they've opened up some ways for free players to get legendaries now, so it's better. Enough to get me playing regularly again, at least.

The other big thing for me was actually getting enough characters to build a decent team (the JSR crew). Once you can get some synergy going, the game actually becomes fun. Who knew? :P

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Nice, thanks for the OP, Camjo-Z -- I see you used the correct title.

Anyway, I guess I'd better stop ignoring Big and Joe now, I never knew about any of this synergy stuff.

Yeah, it's super important. I'm a non-whale player who plays regularly but will only spend a few bucks on the game here and there, so my roster is pretty weak. I just recently went from "just throw your most powerful ones on a team" to using a Sonic/Big/Joe/Knuckles (don't quite have Shadow yet) combo, and it's night and day. My team power is only 5,770-something, but I'm able to take on teams of up to around 11,000 or so.

Can't believe I'm still playing this, but here I am lol

This is all of us.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

The new Adventure events are blatantly designed for whales to throw gems at each other to top the leaderboards, and if you want a newly released character you're either stuck paying out the ass or waiting a month or two for them to get a lootable node / get added to the token shop, but they also started having regular events where you can unlock and upgrade Legendary characters so F2P players can actually get a taste of the good stuff. So... basically they threw us just enough of a bone to keep us from rioting.

This is so true that I'm putting it in the OP.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
damn. i was hoping for something more like the fanfare in superstar tennis?

might still check out for phantasy star & others but the art is...what it is, i guess

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Thread title is perfection.

I wonder what the odds are that this gets Panzer Dragoon characters, now that Orta is finally available digitally and the first two games are getting remakes. (Probably still close to zero, but had to ask...)

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title is perfection.

I wonder what the odds are that this gets Panzer Dragoon characters, now that Orta is finally available digitally and the first two games are getting remakes. (Probably still close to zero, but had to ask...)

It's possible. I never expected series like Crazy Taxi and Phantasy Star to get representation before the usual suspects like Space Channel 5 and NiGHTS.

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
Basically all I play nowadays. What does that say about me. Still battling to stay in the top 200 for Arena

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Yay for Hotsuma being the next legendary event, can finally get him to 1 blue star rating & have a team of level 50 blue star legendaries. Been stuck with progression with the two "story" modes, though.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Play it every day. I just love Sega stuff. Takes up a lot of your time, but if you're actively focusing on the right characters for different events, doing all the daily list of stuff, you can rack up gems pretty quickly. Just need to switch focus whenever you can - maybe not using gems on smaller events, and focusing on larger ones.

Hell, I've finished the campaigns but still play. I just like collecting the characters.

My Guild is "Hedgeblog" if you're keen. As long as your participating some in the events a tiny bit, I don't care ;)

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I don't know if I resent Team Sonic Racing more for not being a SEGA crossover, or this Gacha hellscape for being one. We need some other All-Stars branded game. Soon.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
How hard is to get Alys?
The standard way is to use PvP tokens to unlock her. It is basically impossible to do this.

But there are also events where you can use the 3 other Phantasy Star characters (sufficiently leveled) to unlock her. Unfortunately Alys' event literally just passed, and it will be a while before it pops up again.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Sega hoe, so this is in my daily play.

Are there any other good red heroes that synergize well with Sonic/Big/Joe? I have Shadow currently, but I wish his MAX ability was something a little more offensive instead of a buff. I dunno, maybe I'm misusing him.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I'm conviced MeeMee is the best Red hero. Her healing is the best in the game (yes, better than Tails IMO)

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Sega hoe, so this is in my daily play.

Are there any other good red heroes that synergize well with Sonic/Big/Joe? I have Shadow currently, but I wish his MAX ability was something a little more offensive instead of a buff. I dunno, maybe I'm misusing him.

Shadow's MAX Skill is really good when you use it right before using Joe's. You set off a chain reaction of star tiles and get a lot of mana to boot.

I guess Beat would probably be the best alternative. You still get lots of star tiles for Big and Sonic but you trade Shadow's big damage and stun for healing.

How do you turn off the hints suggesting a move?

Don't think you can unfortunately.

I'm conviced MeeMee is the best Red hero. Her healing is the best in the game (yes, better than Tails IMO)

I've never gotten the chance to really use MeeMee (by the time I finally unlocked her Beat was already at a way higher level filling the same role) but she seems really solid. Once I finally unlock Baby I wanna mess around with a SMB team in Playground.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
My Arena / Regular team group is Joe Musashi, Sonic, Hotsuba and Shadow. They've extremely good in Survival as well - getting a stage with enough Blue tiles that Sonic's Spin Dash move and Joe's Ult (With Shadows ult) are brutal. Hotsuma's shield is quite useful too.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Funny you mentioned this as they just added a new enemy to the game: Big Ben from Streets of Rage, currently found in the Adventure event. He has the potential to be extremely annoying when he gets paired with the Zuburokas from Golden Axe, if he has any buffs active he's invincible to damage.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sounds fun and I like the theme but I have a strict no spend rule on mobile games unless it's for actual fixed content. So I'm guessing the grind is probably too high for me

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Haven't checked, but it looks like they probably do the least amount of damage in the game. Right?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Only beat setting up blue and green star blocks. But my team always stays topped off on health and I do a bunch of damage.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
… Ben's just another flavor of "Tanky enemy you have to deal with in a special way". Most tanks in this game have taunt, and you have to defeat them before you can single target anyone else. Mr. Hear- err, Big Ben basically only tanks if someone else is alive to buff him. I definitely appreciate the variety!

I never see it mentioned most places, but I find it interesting how often this game with patch up things very quietly, to improve the expereince. More or new new farming nodes, new enemies, new music, and adjustments to ally skills (Such as Wren and Big's shifts to become much better support characters) all seem like much more work put into the game than I'd have expected in it's first few weeks.

I also rarely see anyone speak on how far free crystals can get you in the events. 2 energy refills per day of only 20 crystals each is pretty good, when you reach the highest stage you can, and then loot it. Getting you sign-in gems, completing your dailies, and having an ok score in area can get you enough freebies to do a few refreshes. After that, the cost doubles for 2 refreshes, then double again, and so on. They also made it easier to achieve basic character prizes during Selvaria's event (Making lower ranks actually get something), which has continues going forward. The guild prize also gives you some extra drops to boot, making the same work a bit more profitable than before.

I'll always think the prices to buy chest and direct access for characters are RIDICULOUS, with an extra side of crazy. But the freebies are considerably less inconsiderate, and actually offer some potential to get fun, useful rewards.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
How long does it take energy to recharge normally? It piles on so much bonus energy at the very beginning that it's a really transparent effort to get you into the game before you know what the energy really amounts to.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
How long does it take energy to recharge normally? It piles on so much bonus energy at the very beginning that it's a really transparent effort to get you into the game before you know what the energy really amounts to.
With all 4 chests, you probably get 300 energy across a whole day (1 energy per 8 minutes I think, plus 20-40 energy per chest)

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
NEW GUILD EVENT STARTING NOW:
~ADVENTURE: WISDOM~

PRIZES:
🏆Skill Reagents
🏆Radiant Skill Stones

AMPED HEROES:
🗡Alicia Melchiott (4x)
🗡Dr. Curien (2x)
🗡Ebitan (4x)
🗡Selvaria Bles (4x)
🗡Welkin Gunther (15x)

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
~ADVENTURE: FORTUNE~

PRIZES:
🏆Gold

AMPED HEROES:
🗡Selvaria Bles (40x)
🗡Alicia Melchiott (20x)
🗡Ebitan (20x)
🗡Welkin Gunther (20x)
🗡Dr. Curien (10x)
🗡Thomas Rogan (10x)

EVENT ENDS:
🕒 5/23/19 @ 12:00 PM (EST) / 5:00 PM (GMT)

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I play the game daily, but I have been slipping behind in the arena. Getting pretty frustrated with the endless Joe, Sonic and Shadows I see. The meta team is starting to show cracks though thankfully.

Also, be sure to check out the official Discord if you have not. It is a really chill community. There is a link to it in the game's menu.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
~VALIANT VETERAN~

REWARDS:
🏆Gold

🏆Hero Shards

AMPED HEROES:
🗡Largo Potter (40x) *NEW*
🗡Selvaria Bles (20x)
🗡Alicia Melchiott (20x)
🗡Welkin Gunther (20x)
🗡Dr. Curien (10x)

EVENT ENDS:
🕒 5/27/19 @ 12:00 AM (EST) / 5:00 AM (GMT)