• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
This comes from Sega Sammy Holdings Annual Integrated Report 2019, this covers the fiscal year ending March 2019: https://www.segasammy.co.jp/japanese/ir/library/pdf/printing_annual/2019/al2019_all_6.pdf

English version has just released: https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/printing_annual/2019/al2019_all_e.pdf

Each year Sega shows off how their IP Portfolio is performing.

The following image is their IP Portfolio from last year's Integrated Report 2018 (FY3/2018):

Screenshot_20191016-1401142.png

The next image is their IP Portfolio from the 2019 Integrated Report which released in September this year:

Screenshot_20191016-1354382.png

English version:
Screenshot_20191030-0038172.png

Screenshot_20191030-0038342.png

Screenshot_20191030-0038402.png

Some important things to remember:

Since FY3/2014. Sega measured the strength of their IP by throwing in sales data from all their products. Which is why they show you this legend:

Screenshot_20181014-0946442.png

Here's an example from the 2018 Annual Report using the Sonic IP:

Screenshot_20181014-0946022.png

Anything that didn't apply would have a blank image where the icons are.

Since the 2019 IP Portfolio image was not in English at the time of making this thread, I will list the IP and sales data here:

• IP title: Megami Tensei series
Multifaceted Rollout: Pachislot and Pachinko Machines, Digital Games, Packaged Games, "Toys, etc".

Total editions: 30

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 17.4 million (Units / DL*³)
(packaged and digital total)
*3 Including downloads of free-to-play titles

• IP title: Persona series
Multifaceted Rollout: Pachislot and Pachinko Machines, Digital Games, Packaged Games, "Toys, etc".

Total editions: 16

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 10.2 million (Units / DL)

• IP title: Total War series
Multifaceted Rollout: Digital Games, Packaged Games.

Total editions: -

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: More than 27.6 million (Units / DL)

• IP title: Football Manager series
Multifaceted Rollout: Digital Games, Packaged Games.

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: More than 20.0 million (Units / DL)

• IP title: Sonic the Hedgehog series
Multifaceted Rollout: Pachislot and

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games, Packaged Games, Amusement Machine Sales, "Toys, etc".

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 920 million (Units / DL*³)

• IP title: Puyo Puyo series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games, Packaged Games, Amusement

Machine Sales, "Toys, etc".

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 29.0 million (Units / DL*³ / ID)
(packaged and digital, AM-registered ID total (total for registrations after IP acquisition))

• IP title: Sakura Wars series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games, Packaged Games, Amusement Machine Sales.

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 3.8 million (Units)

• IP title: Ryu ga Gotoku series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games, Packaged Games, "Toys, etc".

Total editions: 101

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 12 million (Units)
(packaged total)

• IP title: Phantasy Star series
Multifaceted Rollout: Digital Games, Packaged Games, "Toys, etc".

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 5.5 million ID*²
(cumulative total for registered IDs)
*2 Total for PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2
  • IP title: Chain Chronicle series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games, Packaged Games.

Total editions: 3

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 19.0 million DL*³

• IP title: SEGA feat. HATSUNE MIKU Project series
Multifaceted Rollout: Digital Games, Packaged Games, Amusement

Total editions: 61

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 6.1 million (Units / DL)

• IP title: Hokuto No Ken series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games, Packaged Games, Amusement

Total editions: 32

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 2.88 million units
(pachislot and pachinko machines and amusement machine total)

• IP title: SOUTEN-NO-KEN series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games, Packaged Games, "Toys, etc".

Total editions: 12

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 470 thousand units
(pachislot and pachinko machines total)

---------------------------------

You'll see that Etrian Odyssey is not listed for this year's report while Sakura Wars has been added.

You may have noticed that the Sonic the Hedgehog series went from 800 million units/downloads to 920 million units/downloads in one year. These numbers are inflated from free-to-play downloads and was explained thoroughly in the OP of the following thread last year, console/handheld video game sales from the Sonic the Hedgehog series are estimated to be around 80 million units as of last year:
www.resetera.com

The fact about Sega's IP sales data a.k.a Sonic series is at <100M units not ~800M

There has been some misinformation because people have been looking at SegaSammy's recent integrated report and overlooked what data Sega uses to count as sales for their IP. So I will go through this step-by-step showing the data without context and then filling in the blanks so that you'll...

More importantly these quotes from that thread:
Sonic series total sales was specified to be 78 million units in CESA White Paper 2015.
The number of games included in the counting wasn't disclosed however the games were for the following platforms: NGC, WiiU, GBA, NDS, 3DS, SS, DC, MD, GG, 32X, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360

Just to clarify, CESA get the data from japanese publishers.
Sonic console games* total sales are definitely under 100 million units.

* Not counting digital re-release many years after launch.

Update:

For those curious about Sonic console games total sell-in as December 2018: 85 million units.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Just like Sonic the Hedgehog series, the Megami Tensei series numbers are becoming inflated due to f2p mobile games i.e. SMT Liberation Dx 2.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sega's reporting is honestly terrible, particularly with the Sonic series once it delves into F2P downloads and merchandise.

It has caused plenty of confusion with people in the past who believed Sonic was much more massive than it really is. (Not to discount that it is a massive series at around 80m games sold)

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
920million units and I can't even get a non budget title AAA title.

Who are you fooling Sega

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, FFXV alone will probably come close to selling about as much as the entire Persona series put together.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Whatever it takes for MegaTen to stay on top and be successful. I take it they also include the spin offs like Raidou, Soul Hackers etc?
For all the talk about Persona being the bigger IP, MegaTen is still a big deal for sure. People like to downplay it.

Oct 27, 2017
92 fucking Ryu Ga Gotoku editons?! I get a portion are remakes and it probably includes stuff like Judgement Eyes, but holy shit

Sonic console games total sell-in

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
For those curious about Sonic console games total sell-in as December 2018: 85 million units (PS4, XBO and NSW were added compared the report as December 2014).

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
So how many Dx2 downloads does that make compared to the previous year?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
With those numbers, the shareholders sure must be happy!

Too bad for us gamers though...

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's this aladdin thing

edit: seems it's pachislot shit

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I get why they do it, but it still is disappointing that they inflate the IPs with mobile downloads

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What's this aladdin thing

edit: seems it's pachislot shit
Pachislot game. If you have Yakuza 4 or 5, you can go into the Pachinko parlours and actually play it. Its... ok. But why play that when you have the superior Virtua Fighter pachinko machine to play in those games instead?!

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Chain Chronicles was fun. Shame the western release was shit/axed

Puyo being their second "strongest" IP warms my heart. Localize Puyo Chronicles you cowards.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk of Persona or Yakuza when Total War and Football Manager are the real Sega MVPs.

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it takes for MegaTen to stay on top and be successful. I take it they also include the spin offs like Raidou, Soul Hackers etc?
For all the talk about Persona being the bigger IP, MegaTen is still a big deal for sure. People like to downplay it.
IP sales. So it's everything that is symbolized. Slots, arcades, mobile games, digital software, retail, etc.
I'm confused. So SMT has sold 12 mil without the mobile games, which add 5 mil to the figure?
12mil was last year's numbers. 17 is this year.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is really fascinating, as even though it includes the mobile games (particularly Dx2), I really didn't realistically expect MT (and SMT by association) to have sold more lifetime units than Persona. I have to wonder what the reasoning is for Atlus pushing Persona so hard over Shin Megami Tensei.

Disclaimer in this post: I like Persona, I actually love it, but I just prefer SMT. Please do not interpret this post as me hating Persona.

I don't know the actual numbers on Dx2's downloads, but those are likely inflating SMT's numbers some. However I don't think it makes up the bulk of it. By purely guesswork, I would guess that SMT's lifetime sales not counting Dx2 are very close to Persona's. In that case, why exactly is Atlus pushing Persona so hard? Is this just something they believed would market better than SMT? I don't completely get it. Obviously SMT is nowhere near dead, but it definitely takes a backseat to Persona. SMTV is still coming along at some point, and I eagerly await it, but it's really strange to me that Atlus seems to believe Persona is the way forward when the sales numbers (possibly) state otherwise.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I'm pretty sure it only includes games/products that actually carry the "SMT" title (Japanese listing is specifically SMT, not MT), not just use demons and such, which is why Persona is separate in the first place. Different title, different franchise, even if it uses elements originated from SMT. The number of editions would be way above 30 too if it were including all those other games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really fascinating, as even though it includes the mobile games (particularly Dx2), I really didn't realistically expect MT (and SMT by association) to have sold more lifetime units than Persona. I have to wonder what the reasoning is for Atlus pushing Persona so hard over Shin Megami Tensei.

Disclaimer in this post: I like Persona, I actually love it, but I just prefer SMT. Please do not interpret this post as me hating Persona.

I don't know the actual numbers on Dx2's downloads, but those are likely inflating SMT's numbers some. However I don't think it makes up the bulk of it. By purely guesswork, I would guess that SMT's lifetime sales not counting Dx2 are very close to Persona's. In that case, why exactly is Atlus pushing Persona so hard? Is this just something they believed would market better than SMT? I don't completely get it. Obviously SMT is nowhere near dead, but it definitely takes a backseat to Persona. SMTV is still coming along at some point, and I eagerly await it, but it's really strange to me that Atlus seems to believe Persona is the way forward when the sales numbers (possibly) state otherwise.
Because modern Persona probably sells more then modern MegaTen? You also have to factor in merchandise which is probably much easier for Persona to sell.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
i love these annual reports from sega, want the english one soon.

ps: seems like they consider the release of persona 5 and sonic mania milestones in their company history summary.