• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
This comes from Sega Sammy Holdings Annual Integrated Report 2020 (Japanese), this covers the fiscal year ending March 2020:

English version:

Each year Sega shows off how their IP Portfolio is performing. I am reposting things from the 2019 thread to save time on explaining things.

The following image is their IP Portfolio from the Integrated Report 2018 (covering FY3/2018):

Screenshot_20191016-1401142.png

The next image is their IP Portfolio from the 2020 Integrated Report (covering FY3/2020) which released in November this year:

Screenshot_20201128-1610212.png

English version:

Screenshot_20201226-1640502.png

Screenshot_20201226-1641312.png

Screenshot_20201226-1642382.png

Some important things to remember:

Since FY3/2014. Sega measured the strength of their IP by throwing in sales data from all their products. Which is why they show you this legend:

Screenshot_20181014-0946442.png

Here's an example from the 2018 Annual Report using the Sonic IP:

Screenshot_20181014-0946022.png

Anything that didn't apply would have a blank image where the icons are.

Now with the 2020 report, they've changed their legend and have four icons now rather than five which is from combining packaged games with digital games therefore any smartphone game or console game will have this icon (The Smartphone + Controller) when it is listing a franchise:

Screenshot_20201128-1604222.png

English version:

Screenshot_20201226-1639342.png

Since the 2020 IP Portfolio image was not in English at the time of making this thread, I will list the IP and sales data here:

Please note the fine print:

*2 Including downloads of Free to Play (F2P) titles
*3 Phantasy Star Online 2 total in Japan

• IP title: Megami Tensei series
Multifaceted Rollout: Pachislot and Pachinko Machines, Digital Games/Packaged Games, "Toys, etc".

Total editions: 30

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 17.4 million (Units / DL*²)
(packaged and digital total)
*2 Including downloads of free-to-play titles

Note: No increase from last year. (The numbers are most likely rounded down by a number of significant figures)
  • IP title: Persona series
Multifaceted Rollout: Pachislot and Pachinko Machines, Digital Games/Packaged Games, "Toys, etc".

Total editions: 18

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 13.1 million (Units / DL)

Note: Increase of 2.9M units from last year.
  • IP title: Total War series
Multifaceted Rollout: Digital Games/Packaged Games.

Total editions: -

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: More than 34.3 million (Units / DL)

Note: Increase of 6.7M units from last year.

• IP title: Football Manager series
Multifaceted Rollout: Digital Games/Packaged Games.

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: More than 22.0 million (Units / DL)

Note: Increase of 2M units from last year.

• IP title: Sonic the Hedgehog series
Multifaceted Rollout: Pachislot and

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games/Packaged Games, Amusement Machine Sales, "Toys, etc".

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 1.14 billion (Units / DL*²)

Note: Increase of 220M units from last year.

• IP title: Puyo Puyo series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games/Packaged Games, Amusement

Machine Sales, "Toys, etc".

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 32.0 million (Units / DL*² / ID)
(packaged and digital, AM-registered ID total (total for registrations after IP acquisition))

Note: Increase of 3M units from last year.

• IP title: Sakura Wars series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games/Packaged Games, Amusement Machine Sales.

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 4.1 million (Units / DL*²)

Note: Increase of 300k units from last year.

• IP title: Ryu ga Gotoku series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games/Packaged Games, "Toys, etc".

Total editions: 115

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 14 million (Units)
(packaged total)

Note: Increase of 2M units from last year

• IP title: Phantasy Star series
Multifaceted Rollout: Digital Games/Packaged Games, "Toys, etc".

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 5.5 million ID*³
(cumulative total for registered IDs)
*3 Total for PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2

Note: No increase from last year. (The numbers are most likely rounded down by a number of significant figures)
  • IP title: Chain Chronicle series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games/Packaged Games.

Total editions: 4

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 22.0 million DL*²

Note: Increase of 3M units from last year.

• IP title: SEGA feat. HATSUNE MIKU Project series
Multifaceted Rollout: Digital Games/Packaged Games, Amusement

Total editions: 64

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 6.4 million (Units / DL*²)

Note: Increase of 300k units from last year.
  • IP title: Hokuto No Ken series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games/Packaged Games, Amusement

Total editions: 34

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 2.97 million units
(pachislot and pachinko machines and amusement machine total)

Note: Increase of 90k units from last year.

• IP title: SOUTEN-NO-KEN series

Pachinko Machines, Digital Games, Packaged Games, "Toys, etc".

Total editions: 13

Cumulative unit sales / downloads: Approx. 480 thousand units
(pachislot and pachinko machines total)

Note: Increase of 10k units from last year.

---------------------------------

The following is just a repeat from last year's thread which you can apply to the Sonic IP jumping to 1.14B units/downloads currently. A reminder that it's not just from video games sales and smartphone game downloads but also merchandising sales (toys) and other sources. A more thorough explanation is in the thread linked below.

You may have noticed that the Sonic the Hedgehog series went from 800 million units/downloads to 920 million units/downloads in one year. These numbers are inflated from free-to-play downloads and was explained thoroughly in the OP of the following thread linked. Console/handheld video game sales from the Sonic the Hedgehog series are estimated to be around 85 million units as of December 2018:
www.resetera.com

The fact about Sega's IP sales data a.k.a Sonic series is at <100M units not ~800M

There has been some misinformation because people have been looking at SegaSammy's recent integrated report and overlooked what data Sega uses to count as sales for their IP. So I will go through this step-by-step showing the data without context and then filling in the blanks so that you'll...

More importantly these quotes from that thread:
Sonic series total sales was specified to be 78 million units in CESA White Paper 2015.
The number of games included in the counting wasn't disclosed however the games were for the following platforms: NGC, WiiU, GBA, NDS, 3DS, SS, DC, MD, GG, 32X, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360

Just to clarify, CESA get the data from japanese publishers.
Sonic console games* total sales are definitely under 100 million units.

* Not counting digital re-release many years after launch.

For those curious about Sonic console games total sell-in as December 2018: 85 million units.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That means 12 million units of Total War sold/downloaded in the last two years? Marvelous.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is always fun.

At this rate we're approximately, what, 5 years from Sega saying (with 53 asterisks and 120 pictograms) that every person on earth has "experienced" Sonic?

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Did sakura wars release this year?

The western version released in April 28, 2020 hence it is not included for the data from last fiscal year: Fiscal year ending March 2020.

Sakura Wars released in Japan/Asia in December 2019.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
This new data doesn't have the caveat of including F2P downloads for Total War. Is that a mistake? How are free copies counted in the case of the Troy and FM giveaways on EGS?

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic numbers are worthless since they count free downloads, which would be interesting as a separate number but muddles the actual sales.

This new data doesn't have the caveat of including F2P downloads for Total War. Is that a mistake? How are free copies counted in the case of the Troy and GM giveaways on EGS?

Given the way Sonic is handled I'm guessing any download counts period.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Since then for Persona what has come out? Royal, Scramble, and the PC release of Persona 4?

Man, I don't know why they drag their feet on Persona. Not to mention why they couldn't just do a cheap port to the PS4, heck even use the Vita version. Could've added on 200k copies I bet if they did at least 500k on PC if the numbers are correct.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
This new data doesn't have the caveat of including F2P downloads for Total War. Is that a mistake? How are free copies counted in the case of the Troy and GM giveaways on EGS?

I am aware of that and I did check and the machine translation says:
Approximately 34.3 million (units / DL) or more

There's no mention about free downloads

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
On an unrelated note. I do love the layout of their annual reports. Seems as tough the english version is coming afterwards in the last couple years.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised how low the lifetime sales of so many of those franchises are.

Like, a lot of what I thought were big names have been outsold by the most recent Animal Crossing game in 2020 alone.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Like, a lot of what I thought were big names have been outsold by the most recent Animal Crossing game in 2020 alone.

Animal Crossing New Horizons was a "lightning in a bottle" moment for an intellectual property. That's not the most fair comparison in my opinion.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of annoying they only list registered IDs for PSO2 when the section reads like it should be representing the series as a whole.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
PC is really carrying SEGA, I suspect even more expansion in that market.

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Very interested to see where Total War goes once Warhammer III is out. Will they continue into IV or do an AoS game?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

It's your perception that is skewed (probably by only looking at Nintendo?).
If we exclude Nintendo, the number of games published by japanese publishers that have sold more than 10 million units worldwide in the last 40 years is pretty small, like you can count them with two hands.
Only Nintendo: 49.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Thanks for the bump wouldn't have seen this otherwise. Some stellar performance from Total War here. Hoping that the next update shows a decent bump for the yakuza series as well.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's your perception that is skewed (probably by only looking at Nintendo?).
If we exclude Nintendo, the number of games published by japanese publishers that have sold more than 10 million units worldwide in the last 40 years is pretty small, like you can count them with two hands.
Only Nintendo: 49.
Even then Sega in general doesn't have a lot of big sellers anymore.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Sega forgot but Puyo Puyo is literally an acquired property and the first game wasn't even on their hardware (MSX & FDS).

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even then Sega in general doesn't have a lot of big sellers anymore.
I guess Sega forgot but Puyo Puyo is literally an acquired property and the first game wasn't even on their hardware (MSX & FDS).

Well, the internally developed IP section would have been quite empty without it otherwise, and this includes where their mobile efforts have been sort of there.

Even putting aside Sega Europe, I don't see why they've not put anything under 'total editions' for Sonic, Puyo and Sakura Wars since that should be information they already have.

And as for the Q on Total War mobile, I don't think they've put in Yakuza mobile either...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So maybe we'll see more new titles and IPs from Sega Japan? Cause right now, it feels like Atlus is doing all the heavy lifting for them

Like Dodge/Jeep to Chrysler