• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Sega's Super Monkey Ball series has had an odd history on mobile. Back around the time when the first iPhone hit the scene, there was a lame pixel-based Monkey Ball that was available as one of the App Store's selling points. Suffice it to say it wasn't all that great. Then in 2012 Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition was released on iOS and Android, though the Android version was eventually pulled from the Play Store in 2015. Well, since then people have been clambering for a new Monkey Ball game on Android, and obviously, the SEGA Forever program is the best way to go about releasing such a title. But what we just received is no classic in the vein of the arcade or Gamecube games, it's just a remix of the same gameplay found in the original Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition, just with an ever so slightly tweaked skin.

That's right, Sega, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to pervert their SEGA Forever program. It has up until this point been made up of only classic Sega titles, but by re-releasing a failed mobile game they conveniently pulled off the Play Store in 2015 it's clear the "classic" moniker doesn't mean all that much. So if you would like to revisit Super Monkey Ball on Android, you will now have to put up with the numerous ads that go along with every Forever release or pay $1.99 to remove them. Sadly for those of us who already paid for the original Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition, this is a bit of a raw deal.

But hey, enough of my whinging, here is what you can expect from the newly released Super Monkey Ball: Sakura Edition. Firstly you have four monkeys to choose from as playable characters. These include AiAi, MeeMee, Baby, and GonGon. You can also expect 6 different worlds to explore with a total of 125 stages, which should provide plenty of ball-rolling and banana collecting mayhem. There are also four additional mini-games, and yes, Monkey Target is one of them, but you will also find Monkey Bowl, Golf, and Base available as well.

Controls still work the same as they did in Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition. At the beginning of each stage, you will have to line up a dot in the center of a tiltmeter so that the controls are calibrated correctly. As you hold your device still a timer will count down, then you are free to start moving by using your accelerometer to control the tilt of the stage. So yeah, there is no virtual analog stick to be found, everything is controlled by tilting your device.

With the wavering ability for Sega to release competent emulations of their classic titles it looks like they are now relying on failed mobile games that are native to the platform to try and boost their floundering Forever program. While I don't doubt Super Monkey Ball: Sakura Editionwill find some fans now that it's available for free with ads, I still find it questionable that Sega couldn't bother supporting the original when it's somehow now easily labeled a classic worthy of the Forever program. I'm really starting to wonder if Sega knows what they are doing anymore because it clearly doesn't look like it from the outside.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...all-sakura-edition-part-sega-forever-program/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sega.monkeyball

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game was great, and it's "re-release" is welcome. I hope we see JSR and Afterburner Climax re-listed as well.

It does bear mentioning that these games were never outright gone, they were just de-listed. But you could still access them if you linked to them directly and the games still worked.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly for those of us who already paid for the original Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition, this is a bit of a raw deal.
As I said a few times before, Sega did the same with Sonic 1 (and probably 2 too). They never updated it for the latest versions of Android, and if I want to play it on my current phone I need to purchase it again in its Forever version. That's why I decided to never support their mobile titles again.

Deleted member 16743

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't sleep on this one. Bought it and played through when it was originally released and think it's really really good. The control scheme worked well and it is just plain old monkey ball. Which is a winner for me!

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
One of the first games that were part of the Sega Forever program was a re-release of Virtua Tennis Challenge. That was exactly the same situation: An older original smartphone game rereleased as a F2P game.

So, I think the idea that Monkey Ball Sakura Edition "perverts" the Sega Forever branding kind of odd. It's always been like this.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
As I said a few times before, Sega did the same with Sonic 1 (and probably 2 too). They never updated it for the latest versions of Android, and if I want to play it on my current phone I need to purchase it again in its Forever version. That's why I decided to never support their mobile titles again.

Wait... I was sure I already bought Sonic 1. Now I can't restore the purchase to remove ads. Is this the reason?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
SEGA Forever said in a low key statement that they were changing their direction. They're still going to release old titles, but they are finding more success with titles like Crazy Taxi - "native ports."

While we originally intended to focus largely on emulated titles, we have observed that our native ports are the most played games (Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD, Crazy Taxi, and Virtua Tennis Challenge).

Therefore, we've decided to make some changes to appeal even more to the audience that is most interested in this project. While we will continue working on emulated titles – with a surprise or two that you haven't been expecting – our plan this year is to focus on porting titles natively.

I guess they're conflating that with whatever SMB: Sakura is.

I don't know why you'd be upset at the ads though. 2 bucks or free with ads was the initiative since the beginning. Not being able to "restore" your prior purchase though, I get.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Sega Forever should have released the other Phantasy Stars and Shining Force games. I bought Phantasy Star II and put a chunk of time into it and I would have definitely bought Phantasy Star IV.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait... I was sure I already bought Sonic 1. Now I can't restore the purchase to remove ads. Is this the reason?
If you had purchased the old version of Sonic 1 then yes, it's the same thing that happened to me. It isn't compatible with the newer versions of Android, and the Sega Forever edition of Sonic 1 (called Sonic the Hedgehog Classic) doesn't let you restore your purchase since you technically never bought that specific version. It's bullshit, of course, letting a game become unplayable only to sell you the exact same product a few years later.

I don't know why you'd be upset at the ads though. 2 bucks or free with ads was the initiative since the beginning. Not being able to "restore" your prior purchase though, I get.
This is what pisses me off. I'm fine with an ad-supported version, but I had previously paid for the game and now am forced to pay again if I don't want to see those ads.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe they would have found more success with their legacy released had the emulation not been utter shit.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Just give us Super Monkey Ball Deluxe on Xbox One BC then bury the series. Nothing since then has been any good. :(

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
just give windrunner super monkey ball deluxe on xbox one bc so s/he will stop posting

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Just give us Super Monkey Ball Deluxe on Xbox One BC then bury the series. Nothing since then has been any good. :(

Triple post... I guess you really want Super Monkey Ball Deluxe on Xbox One.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I switched Wifi connections while submitting so things got really loopy. But yes, I really want it! That and SMB1 on Switch whenever we finally get Gamecube games on that.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I just downloaded this and bought the ad free upgrade.

It won't let me listen to podcasts while playing. So annoyed. Mobile games are worthless without that ability IMO.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even give a shit if they just port 1 & 2 to modern consoles I just want to be able to play Monkey Ball again ffs

Fake edit: Or yeah let Super Monkey Ball DX become backwards compatible on Xbox One Sega come on

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, this is one of the cooler SEGA Forever releases yet. The ads are more annoying than the Genesis games but it is not that big of a deal I suppose. Excited to see where this service goes from now - Chu Chu Rocket mobile is begging to be re-released!

SEGA's leaving money on the table by not porting Super Monkey Ball Deluxe to all current platforms. It had issues, but that is the best that franchise has ever been and probably ever will be. I would also accept a port of Banana Splitz because it is just criminal for a game like that to be stuck on a platform like PlayStation Vita.