• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Sega's Kenji Matsubara said they plan to re-issue the Genesis.

Here's a bad google translation of the original Japanese Yahoo news:
On September 7, Sega Geek said it is considering re-entry into the home game machine market. President Kenji Matsubara said he is planning to sell a reprint version of "MegaDrive" which was fighting against Nintendo's domestic game machines about 30 years ago against the interview of Sankei Shimbun. Sega withdrew from the game machine market in 2001, but the demand for revival from Sega fans is increasing, and in response to the popularity of Nintendo's recently released reprint game machine, the relevance of re-entry

And to that I say Yeeeeeeessssssssssssssss. I never had a Genesis growing up, and ever since the NES/SNES Classic, I wanted Sega to do their own version (and not those cheap 3rd party versions that are available).
I wouldn't mind a SMS Classic either, with Game Gear titles since they were both almost the same sometimes.

Oct 27, 2017
If Sega knew what they were doing, they would release those games as a collection on PS2, PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, PC, PS4 and Xbox One!

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it'll be better than the sorry excuses for what are being sold as genesis classics.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this just gonna be that HDMI TecToy Games thing that wasn't so good, but for Japan, or will it be brand new?
Yeah, I was wondering. They already have this

6Upbl3W.png

Would be nice to have a good version of it, but weird to release a new(er) one.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
We're never going to get a Sega Saturn collection of games, or remasters of some of the classics. I love Genesis as much as anybody, but come on already.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well yes, I actually was about to make a thread myself, so I did read up. That doesn't mean they won't just skimp out though.

The guy said they are looking to get into the hardware business again with a reissue of the Genesis. That doesn't sound like they are going to dump it on a 3rd party like they have been doing for years.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
The guy said they are looking to get into the hardware business again with a reissue of the Genesis. That doesn't sound like they are going to dump it on a 3rd party like they have been doing for years.
Looking to get into the hardware business doesn't equate to completely ground up design and development though. I mean, I just don't wanna get my hopes up. I kinda would be surprised, with how they've treated the MD in the past, if they didn't cheap out in some way.

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah, I was wondering. They already have this

6Upbl3W.png

Would be nice to have a good version of it, but weird to release a new(er) one.

I wonder though if any Genesis/Mega Drive mini would be something anyone cares about at this point. Not arguing that Sega's got some fine games they can include on a system like that, but that's exactly what these 3rd parties consoles have been doing for years. Does the average consumer really care that's its made by Sega or not? Not trying to drag up old console wars, but Nintendo is bigger than Sega at this point, and Nintendo games sell a hell of a lot better than those classic Sega games do too. Thing is with those NES, and SNES classics also is there wasn't anything like them on the market before. The novelty of seeing a mini Genesis isn't there anymore,because they've been putting out these half ass attempts already. It's kinda old news to the average consumer I'd think.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I wonder though if any Genesis/Mega Drive mini would be something anyone cares about at this point. Not arguing that Sega's got some fine games they can include on a system like that, but that's exactly what these 3rd parties consoles have been doing for years. Does the average consumer really care that's its made by Sega or not? Not trying to drag up old console wars, but Nintendo is bigger than Sega at this point, and Nintendo games sell a hell of a lot better than those classic Sega games do too. Thing is with those NES, and SNES classics also is there wasn't anything like them on the market before. The novelty of seeing a mini Genesis isn't there anymore,because they've been putting out these half ass attempts already. It's kinda old news to the average consumer I'd think.
That and you still see sub-par licensed variants at stores already, alongside with upcoming disc and legacy disc compilations...

Unlike the competition, Sega has to fight against a LOT of its own market confusion!

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Not sure if I will buy it if they release it, since they released a bunch of Mega Drive games digitally already several times that I've bought. Really depends on what games they include, hopefully there might be some Master System games there too? They should give Master System some more love.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
If Sega knew what they were doing, they would release those games as a collection on PS2, PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, PC, PS4 and Xbox One!

Yeah, the demand isn't quite the same. With NES Classic especially it was different because Nintendo was at a nadir of home console sales at the time, and because they've almost never sold their older games as a collection (a few exist, but very limited runs like the Zelda collection or Super Mario All Stars, or the Kirby Anniversary Collection). Sega's been marketing Genesis collections as far back as the Saturn.

There's still a market for it amongst non-gamers for the nostalgia piece, but if you own a modern console you have some kind of access to the best of the Genesis.

Deleted member 7044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mark III please.

... Or anything except the exact same handful of Mega Drive games they re-release constantly.

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah. I was going to buy that dodgy classic version with the awful emulated sound before I knew that was an issue. Would defiantly buy a proper release.

Master System compatible too please Sega

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So far these crappy 3rd party Genesis systems mostly had Sega titles. And the very few 3rd party titles were really not that interesting.

If Sega does come out with a competent product like the SNES Classic and if they actually add GOOD 3rd party games to the system, it will most definitely be more interesting than anything they've been doing in the past decade when it comes to Genesis.

They could include Castlevania Bloodlines (which has NEVER been re-released, not even on VC), Contra Hard Corps, Gunstar Heroes, that Wonder Boy 5 that only came out in Japan, but was released in English for Wii VS. If they want to have a really rare title in it, they could even add that Megaman Wily Wars that was only available through the Sega Channel in the US.
Hell, they could even add Sega CD games which is technically part of the Genesis. Imagine, Sonic CD, Lunar, Shining Force CD, Snatcher!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Can only see Sega CD happening if they can cut down on how much storage space they take up. Most of them used redbook audio for the soundtrack but they can easily bring file sizes down w/ good streaming audio compression. Also a fair chunk are just FMV snoozefests that would have no business on any collection.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So far these crappy 3rd party Genesis systems mostly had Sega titles. And the very few 3rd party titles were really not that interesting.

If Sega does come out with a competent product like the SNES Classic and if they actually add GOOD 3rd party games to the system, it will most definitely be more interesting than anything they've been doing in the past decade when it comes to Genesis.

They could include Castlevania Bloodlines (which has NEVER been re-released, not even on VC), Contra Hard Corps, Gunstar Heroes, that Wonder Boy 5 that only came out in Japan, but was released in English for Wii VS. If they want to have a really rare title in it, they could even add that Megaman Wily Wars that was only available through the Sega Channel in the US.
Hell, they could even add Sega CD games which is technically part of the Genesis. Imagine, Sonic CD, Lunar, Shining Force CD, Snatcher!

As nice as this would be it's probably wishful thinking. Most likely the built in games will be the same ones that have appeared on every Genesis collection ever and that's it

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As nice as this would be it's probably wishful thinking. Most likely the built in games will be the same ones that have appeared on every Genesis collection ever and that's it

I think they are going to do it right. It's their money that's on the line now.

With the 3rd party consoles all they had to do was license the name, but with what they are allegedly going to do now, that's their money, their time, their R&D. Hopefully they hire M2 which have made several emulators before, for them and Nintendo.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'd purchase and support it if it were a quality product. The off brand Sega emulator systems don;t cut it.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think they are going to do it right. It's their money that's on the line now.

With the 3rd party consoles all they had to do was license the name, but with what they are allegedly going to do now, that's their money, their time, their R&D. Hopefully they hire M2 which have made several emulators before, for them and Nintendo.

Well I hope so, I've been dying for a proper Genesis Mini, Genesis is like half of my childhood

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
It won't be special or noteworthy like the novelty of the nes and snes classic.

We get Genesis compilations every generation. Sega has licensed their name and library out to poor emulation garbage for years like the AtGames trashback that was recently released. They've also been putting up ad filled roms on mobile.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
A proper one wouldn't do half as well as the NES Classic or SNES Classic I'd imagine (the AtGames variations take away the novelty), but those also do well enough on their own. I'm not surprised Sega wouldn't want to get in on that market first-hand rather than continue licensing their best games out.

If they can get some third party licenses (like Castlevania, Contra and Mega Man like mentioned above), that would be fantastic as well.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have no faith in Sega to be able to produce an emulator system that is as responsive (low input latency) and as accurate (especially in regards to sound quality) as the SNES Classic. I'll be extremely cautious and skeptical until Digital Foundry have a go at it.