• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Very happy with how the PC version has been updated with none of the games delisted or anything like that. Looking forward to getting these achievements in the coming weeks too.

Mirror mode is seriously neat and more enjoyable than I expected. Some games feel so alien with it on.

I suspect they do it just because they own the rights to the game fully so it's easy to just bung the rom in any emulated collection to boost the game count on the box. These collections are always essentially just all the games Sega has the full rights to on the platform. Porting an actually worthwhile version of VF2 takes more effort.
There are a number of games not part of this list that they own the rights to fully. Probably over 20 games honestly.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody who owns the PS4 version wanna weigh in their thoughts? Any glaring issues that'd make this a regretful purchase? I mainly just want this for the sake of convenience for some select titles like Shinobi 3, Ristar, Vectorman, Alien Solider, and Comix Zone.
Thoughts in no particular order and after only about two hours of play in total (so, subject to change):

- emulation seems fine so far in the games I've played. I'm reserving any kind of final judgement on that for much later though. I haven't noticed audio issues but I don't tend to unless they're major anyway
- the front end is just a mess. It's a nice idea, poorly implemented. I think they should have either dropped this in favour of a simplified menu (just having the TV view as a border option) or perhaps gone all-in and done it properly (say, letting you customise the posters, change which version of the console you had under the TV, change the TV type, change room layout, that kind of stuff). They probably felt that these compilations always tend to have a menu that's just a huge pile of games and tried to do something a bit different, but it's not better
- you probably know all the features already. There's a few ways to make games look not-quite-right, there's scanlines, you can change the fake TV's projection (screen curvature), and for the games there's quick save/load and rewind. Even with the pointless room menu, swapping through games is fast
- there's only two layout options and you'll probably end up sticking to the default (with A, B and C mapped to Square, X and Circle respectively). You can't remap in general or for specific games within the collection itself (though of course many games have their own button mapping options)
- challenges are a nice idea but difficulty for them is all over the place and it feels like there's not enough of them compared to how the concept could be used. They could have been used as an introduction to game mechanics within each game and encouragement to play through the basics of each game. Instead they feel a bit like a wasted idea
- there's some input lag. I have no way of quantifying it and so far it hasn't caused me to get killed or make big mistakes, and so far it doesn't seem like it's any worse than is typical with this kind of collection, but it is there

If buying this game on PS4 is going to be the most convenient way for you to play some specific older games, I think this is cheap enough to be worth buying, though perhaps it's also worth noting that the Ultimate collection on PS3/Xbox 360 did tend to go on sale often, with some of the sale prices being quite low. If there's anything that worries you about this collection, perhaps consider waiting a few months and seeing if there's a patch and grabbing it for a lower price.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The sound is a goddamn mess in Mean Bean Machine, which is a shame.

As a package, I really hate the whole virtual room deal. I get that it's a bit more lively than a basic menu, but the option would've been nice.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't understand how they could remove the mappable controls for the PC version when they existed in an older version of the Sega Genesis / Megadrive Classic collection.

Features should not be removed in an update.

Hx]

Oct 28, 2017
Kuwait
What's up with the first Phantasy Star not included in both Steam and this port? The SEGA AGES service on Switch includes "Phantasy Star I" so I don't understand it's absence here

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
How does rewind work in this? can I rewind at any time in the middle of a game?

You can rewind and fast forward at anytime using the left and right triggers on your gamepad. Personally I don;t use it, but I also don;t mind that it is there. My only complaint is that the fastworward and rewind features break the leader boards, as someone could just rewind their way through a high score.

Doublemintgum

Oct 26, 2017
You can rewind and fast forward at anytime using the left and right triggers on your gamepad. Personally I don;t use it, but I also don;t mind that it is there. My only complaint is that the fastworward and rewind features break the leader boards, as someone could just rewind their way through a high score.

Ok, thanks for the info :)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason to get this if you own Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What's up with the first Phantasy Star not included in both Steam and this port? The SEGA AGES service on Switch includes "Phantasy Star I" so I don't understand it's absence here

Phantasy Star I wasn't a Sega Genesis / Megadrive title but rather was released for the Sega Master system. This collection only contains Sega Genesis / Megadrive titles.

While apparently a Japanese version exists for the Megadrive, it was never localized in any other language to Western territories.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Thoughts in no particular order and after only about two hours of play in total (so, subject to change):

- emulation seems fine so far in the games I've played. I'm reserving any kind of final judgement on that for much later though. I haven't noticed audio issues but I don't tend to unless they're major anyway
- the front end is just a mess. It's a nice idea, poorly implemented. I think they should have either dropped this in favour of a simplified menu (just having the TV view as a border option) or perhaps gone all-in and done it properly (say, letting you customise the posters, change which version of the console you had under the TV, change the TV type, change room layout, that kind of stuff). They probably felt that these compilations always tend to have a menu that's just a huge pile of games and tried to do something a bit different, but it's not better
- you probably know all the features already. There's a few ways to make games look not-quite-right, there's scanlines, you can change the fake TV's projection (screen curvature), and for the games there's quick save/load and rewind. Even with the pointless room menu, swapping through games is fast
- there's only two layout options and you'll probably end up sticking to the default (with A, B and C mapped to Square, X and Circle respectively). You can't remap in general or for specific games within the collection itself (though of course many games have their own button mapping options)
- challenges are a nice idea but difficulty for them is all over the place and it feels like there's not enough of them compared to how the concept could be used. They could have been used as an introduction to game mechanics within each game and encouragement to play through the basics of each game. Instead they feel a bit like a wasted idea
- there's some input lag. I have no way of quantifying it and so far it hasn't caused me to get killed or make big mistakes, and so far it doesn't seem like it's any worse than is typical with this kind of collection, but it is there

If buying this game on PS4 is going to be the most convenient way for you to play some specific older games, I think this is cheap enough to be worth buying, though perhaps it's also worth noting that the Ultimate collection on PS3/Xbox 360 did tend to go on sale often, with some of the sale prices being quite low. If there's anything that worries you about this collection, perhaps consider waiting a few months and seeing if there's a patch and grabbing it for a lower price.

Thanks for the effort post. I already own Ultimate Genesis Collection on 360 but I barely use that system and I like the idea of owning these games for my new primary system. I'll be picking this up. $30 is a fair asking price.

Is there any reason to get this if you own Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection?

Not much besides a few extra games (Alien Solider being the highlight, imo) and the added convenience. If you're like me, you'll buy just about anything with Ristar on it but if you're tight on cash I wouldn't advise it.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
When are they going to give us the original arcade games? They can't hold back Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder for this long!

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Bought this against my better judgment (and also because I'm a consumer whore). Played a bit of Sonic 1 since it's the title I'm most familiar with, and yeesh. It's not the worst emulation Sega's ever put out, but I'm definitely not impressed. Slowdown, graphical freak-outs (weird one on the Chaos Emerald screen), the sound being slightly off in general. I'd say I've just been spoiled by the M2 and Taxman versions but nah, even Sonic Mega Collection back in 2002 was better.

On the plus side, I managed to get all the Chaos Emeralds in one shot. Also realized this is the first time I've played Sonic 1 on a TV in some time.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For people calling for an M2 collection, put your money where your mouth is and buy this:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sega-3d-classics-collection-3ds

It's not 50 games but 9, and one of them is a duplicate so basically 8 games, but it's one great compilation by M2.

M2 is already doing an AGES collection on Switch, so...that wouldn't help (I bought this at full price for Puyo 2 basically since I had the other games)

As far as roundabout methods go, if you want to support more M2 stuff on PS4 your best bet would be to buy Battle Garegga (which is fantastic!)

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
The challenges are really cool, dropping you into specific situations (via savestates, I assume). Just wish there were more of them. That's an issue in general here with the extras. Some games have achievements/trophies, some games have challenges, some games have leaderboards. Some have more than one of those, some have none. If you like Sonic and Golden Axe, there's a lot of extra stuff. Meanwhile some games get nothing, like the majority of the RPGs included. Would have been cool to get dropped into the middle of a boss fight in PS4, or get put into World 3 or 4 in Gain Ground with a limited set of characters.

I think it's a lot like most of Sega's prior collections. You're getting low effort and imperfect emulation, but you're also getting a bunch of games at a low price, and they're playable enough. Having savestates and rewind/fast forward directly on the controller is nice, though. I'll probably use this for a few nostalgia playthroughs (been itching to run through Shining in the Darkness again), while hoping the M2 stuff on Switch brings us the really cool stuff.

Finished a playthrough of Gain Ground. That's a jerk of a final boss. Not sure if anyone can beat the missiles, I just won by throwing dudes right into the line of fire. :P

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, it looks like you can complete challenges and achievements simultaneously when applicable. I did the Shining Force 1 battle challenge and got the Alterone trophy after clearing it.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I put a few hours into this set, played a bunch of a different games, and so far it isn't that bad.
I could really do without the hitches though. I seem to get one every 15-30 minutes.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always up for collections like this, and while it's not perfect, the good more than outweighs the bad. (Being able to play a properly balanced version of SoR 3 via the Japanese version is worth it alone for me.) It also has some new games that weren't in the ps3 collection so that's another plus. The lack of the latter half of 16 bit sonic is a loss and I really wish they threw in the original Phantasy Star game for the hell of it but eh...

The sheer amount of games on this disc and the price point are the real deal for me. If anything, I'm happy as can be that I can still play the original versions of games that I spent a good portion of my teenage years cutting my teeth on.

No regrets buying this.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Well this is bullcrap.

I played Sword of Vermillion for an hour or so. I saved my progress and quit. Later on I come back and none of my saves are there. It's a complete blank.
Same thing happened in Phantasy Star II. I played for thirty minutes, saved, then came back to a bunch of nothing.

LuciusAxelrod

Oct 25, 2017
So my Steam version updated and now I can't set my buttons when using an xbox pad? I use a Hori Fighting Commander 4 the game won't recognize input straight from it so I have to run it as an xbox pad though Steam's controller configuration or a Brook converter. The trouble is there are only two button layout options for the xbox pad and neither of them are the one I need.
Thanks for taking away features, I guess.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Anyone with issues related to the hub should post them on the Steam forums. The devs are intending to patch this in the coming days.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
The challenge for Shadow Dancer is a goddamn nightmare. No matter what I do the game never registers that the Dog is in "Puppy State" when I walk off the right side of the screen to clear the level. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough after the Dog gets hit but he reverts back to normal so fast anyways...

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
With all of these issues, I'm having second thoughts on cancelling my pre-order (it hasn't shipped yet) and waiting to see if they patch things. :/

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The challenge for Shadow Dancer is a goddamn nightmare. No matter what I do the game never registers that the Dog is in "Puppy State" when I walk off the right side of the screen to clear the level. Maybe I'm not waiting long enough after the Dog gets hit but he reverts back to normal so fast anyways...
Yeah it's a pain in the ass.

I still haven't gotten it myself.

Last edited:

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
On PC this seems better than it was before. I used to get the odd slow down during certain parts in Sonic 3 that I remember specifically, and trying it now, it was as smooth as could be. Tried a bunch of different games and everything seemed fine.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Okay what am I missing:

I select scanlines, and see scanlines on the screen on the virtual TV. Still see scanlines if I start playing on the virtual TV. But if I switch to fullscreen, the scanlines disappear...

Bug? Feature?

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I decided to cancel my pre-order. If they fix a few of the issues present via a patch, I'll pick it up later. Honestly, my backlog is full enough as it is right now, but I'll definitely keep an eye on how it all goes.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Or the Golden Axe fighting game

It's weird that Sega has released a Genesis collection about every console generation since... well, since the Genesis, but not one arcade collection.

I bought all the Sega Ages games for the 3DS and expect to do the same for the Switch. A barebones compilation with even the basics (Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Golden Axe, Crackdown, Altered Beast etc) would be an instant buy for me.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Golden Axe achievement was pretty great. I hit the god damn magic button on accident everytime and it has an achievement for that on Steam lol.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
There is a special place in hell for whoever made the Alex Kidd janken achievement. Seems like if you rewind and fast forward through it you opt out of it too. Come on...

I wonder if we can report glitches from the console versions there...
Probably not, but I imagine patches are planned to go out across all platforms. Stuttering issues will absolutely be resolved but we will probably just have to live with certain games sounding like complete shit I guess! (Honestly most sound perfectly fine from my experience)

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
There is a special place in hell for whoever made the Alex Kidd janken achievement. Seems like if you rewind and fast forward through it you opt out of it too. Come on...

Probably not, but I imagine patches are planned to go out across all platforms. Stuttering issues will absolutely be resolved but we will probably just have to live with certain games sounding like complete shit I guess! (Honestly most sound perfectly fine from my experience)
You have the PC version, correct?
Can you please check if the region change (US to JP) works during the online multiplayer mode?

That is broken on consoles...

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Really? What do you see when you go here?

Only the steam front page.

You can't buy "SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics" by itself, its "hub" comes with any game of the collection for free. You can just buy a single title like Sonic 1

... or a whole bundle of titles: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/7826/

Here are all available games for "SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics" https://steamdb.info/app/34270/dlc/

Oh I see, this is a little bit confusing.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
You have the PC version, correct?
Can you please check if the region change (US to JP) works during the online multiplayer mode?

That is broken on consoles...
There are no options to play different versions of the same game. You can only opt in or out of specific games on the shelf. Eternal Champions is available to play online though, so that is neat.

Sadly, they'll never port it.
Never say never! SEGA goes back to port some weird older arcade titles all of the time. I just hope that whenever they do it, they bring it to all platforms and give us online play.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
This really sparked my interest and I found out what's happening here!

SEGA Mega Drive Classics Collection (DE)
https://steamdb.info/sub/14516/
49 games

SEGA Mega Drive Classics Collection (ROW)
https://steamdb.info/sub/14517/
52 games

A few games are excluded and not offered in Germany, like Shadow Dancer. Were those games prohibited, maybe because of violence? Anyway, that's the reason why the complete collection isn't offered. Guess Sega needs to work on its region specific bundles a bit.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
There are no options to play different versions of the same game. You can only opt in or out of specific games on the shelf. Eternal Champions is available to play online though, so that is neat.

Thing is, on consoles there's a button prompt to change regions on SoR 2 and 3, but pressing it does nothing. When online, of course.

This really sparked my interest and I found out what's happening here!

SEGA Mega Drive Classics Collection (DE)
https://steamdb.info/sub/14516/
49 games

SEGA Mega Drive Classics Collection (ROW)
https://steamdb.info/sub/14517/
52 games

A few games are excluded and not offered in Germany, like Shadow Dancer. Were those games prohibited, maybe because of violence? Anyway, that's the reason why the complete collection isn't offered. Guess Sega needs to work on its region specific bundles a bit.

Yeah, Eternal Champions is a PEGI 18 game. That why it's excluded from the console versions (which are PEGI 12).
I don't understand why Shadow Dancer can't be sold in Germany, though...

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
As a package, I really hate the whole virtual room deal. I get that it's a bit more lively than a basic menu, but the option would've been nice.
51kddb1.png

3p3ORXz.png

Saying that, perhaps there's not an equivalent option for the console release. idk.