• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Really wish I could try before I buy on this one. If there really is uneven pixel scaling on the vertical axis, as mentioned in one review, then I'll pass. I only care about handheld mode, though.

Input lag doesn't bother me too much because I mostly want this collection for the RPGs and adventure games. I already have the 3D Classics if I want to play Sonic 1 & 2, but I agree that input lag completely ruins Sonic games (I had a Retron5 and the lag was terrible).

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I picked up the Switch version and so far so good. The FF and RW feature on the triggers works nicely, but I wish the screen effect was less pronounced. In general the interface is less streamlined than I would have preferred, but it seems like a good value package.

I'm hoping to finally play through to the end of both shining forces on Switch, as I only got 6 or so hours in previously, including the GBA port.
It has considerable input lag. I could easily notice it in games like Sonic where jump timing is crucial. I kept missing jumps.
Compared both Sega Ages and the Collection and yeah, definitely noticeable.
Could someone that owns the Switch version confirm if the 3D game room is as low res as these screens show?:
vcxB6Jk2-m_dBUXkr3_pWJuQF7RyzSif.jpg

This looks very different from the other versions.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Not gonna cut corners here: This compilation is horrendous on Switch compared to PC. The input lag is so gigantic that it makes the platformers almost unplayable. And I say this as a guy who thought people were just outta their minds when it came to the Mega Man Legacy Collection on Switch, which felt fine, along with every other retro game compilation i've played on the thing, yet I could notice a major issue here.

But this? No way. Just look at me trying to play Sonic 1 here, jumping the same way I would in the Sega Ages/Mega Collection/PC version. Jumping off the edge of a cliff or before a spike just doesn't work in this version as I keep hitting everything in sight

Thank god the only reason I bought this was mainly for RPGs since M2 are slow as heck on porting old games, and luckily input delay doesn't matter in Phantasy star or shining force at all. But this is beyond disappointing and I have no idea how this issue flew by them.

EDIT: Some games like Shadow Dancer, Shinobi Revenge and Sword of Vermillion control fine despite the lag, so I assume it mainly impacts games that don't have slow reaction times in mind, like Sonic 1/2. Still very irritating though

Last edited:

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a disappointment. Maybe I will get the Steam version instead some day. I want to play Landstalker and Sword of Vermillion.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to have read this thread, was considering buying this. Will probably impulse buy a Mega Sg down the road instead. Shame.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Not gonna cut corners here: This compilation is horrendous on Switch compared to PC. The input lag is so gigantic that it makes the platformers almost unplayable. And I say this as a guy who thought people were just outta their minds when it came to the Mega Man Legacy Collection on Switch, which felt fine, along with every other retro game compilation i've played on the thing, yet I could notice a major issue here.

But this? No way. Just look at me trying to play Sonic 1 here, jumping the same way I would in the Sega Ages/Mega Collection/PC version. Jumping off the edge of a cliff or before a spike just doesn't work in this version as I keep hitting everything in sight

Thank god the only reason I bought this was mainly for RPGs since M2 are slow as heck on porting old games, and luckily input delay doesn't matter in Phantasy star or shining force at all. But this is beyond disappointing and I have no idea how this issue flew by them.

EDIT: Some games like Shadow Dancer, Shinobi Revenge and Sword of Vermillion control fine despite the lag, so I assume it mainly impacts games that don't have slow reaction times in mind, like Sonic 1/2. Still very irritating though

Yeah, Sonic 1 & 2 also have input lag on the PS4/XBox One version.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Question. How do you suspend/exit a game? Seems to be touch screen on handheld mode but no idea otherwise. I must have completely missed something.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
The other 3 versions have a higher resolution. Here's the Steam version:

ss_9e7bc3b16e79f97ff10d725a1b3558aec4872997.600x338.jpg

Tried to change the time of day to match that pic but couldn't replicate it, that looks much better.

Question. How do you suspend/exit a game? Seems to be touch screen on handheld mode but no idea otherwise. I must have completely missed something.

You hold - (minus). You can also hold either R stick up/down to quick load/quick save.

Switch also received a small patch (1.0.1.). No idea what it does but unsurprisingly, Sonic still has input lag.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
It's much better in handheld mode than it was before though. I can't believe SEGA rolled out a patch, and so quickly. Take notes, Capcom.

More discussion here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/248371-sega-genesis-classics/77296083

I played a little bit of Sonic 2 yesterday and thought it ran completely fine. Vectorman was totally fine too. Don't know how they were before the patch. As for Sonic, good thing I have the Ages version as I'm not obliged to touch this version.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I played a little bit of Sonic 2 yesterday and thought it ran completely fine. Vectorman was totally fine too. Don't know how they were before the patch. As for Sonic, good thing I have the Ages version as I'm not obliged to touch this version.
Have you tried the multiplayer mode on the Switch?
On the other consoles it's still unplayable due to constant freezes and lag.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Picked this up on Switch and it's been my first exposure to a Shining Force game (Playing the first one). I'm rather enjoying myself with it really.
I went in completely blind, my only exposure to the Shining Force franchise before this was the comic strip it got in the Fleetway Sonic the Comic, and wasn't quite sure what to expect. The controls definitely took some getting used to when it comes to moving around and interacting with people, but now I've got the hang of it things are getting rather fun. If I had to describe it to someone I'd say it's a cross between Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy, the former for the battles and the latter when it comes to moving around towns.

One thing I was glad to see was that punishments for losing a battle aren't too severe. You're booted back to the last point at which you saved your game, but you don't lose the experience points/level ups you obtained in the battle you lost, so you can try again stronger than before rather than just endlessly throwing yourself at a hopeless battle where you're trying to exploit and cheese the AI (Something fellow Advance Wars players are probably all too familiar with).

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
How soon did the SEGA Genesis Classics Collection receive a discount on other recent platforms besides Switch?

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
My Switch just popped up that this has another patch today.
Not sure what has changed though.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
So I just downloaded version 1.0.2 on Switch, and the lag that was reduced with the previous update has gotten worse, at least to me (in handheld mode). Super frustrating.

Has anyone else noticed a difference?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Absolutely disgusting, unplayable input lag in Sonic 1 and 2. Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Shadow Dancer and Shinobi 3 are all just about playable so it doesn't feel entirely like a waste of money, but the emulation is shockingly poor across the board (sound emulation is alright but not perfect, there's quite a bit of frameskipping and input lag is there in all games, it's just especially bad in Sonic).

I'll use this collection to play the other games I mentioned until they hopefully get SEGA AGES releases, but I had to buy the SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog version literal minutes after buying the Genesis Collection because it's really, really beyond awful. AGES version is perfect though, no input lag whatsoever. In fact, it's almost uncannily responsive. Only other official Sonic port/emulation I have ever seen that's as good as this is the 3D Classics on 3DS.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Absolutely disgusting, unplayable input lag in Sonic 1 and 2. Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Shadow Dancer and Shinobi 3 are all just about playable so it doesn't feel entirely like a waste of money, but the emulation is shockingly poor across the board (sound emulation is alright but not perfect, there's quite a bit of frameskipping and input lag is there in all games, it's just especially bad in Sonic).

I just don't understand why they rolled out another patch and totally screwed up the responsiveness again in the process. Did no one test to see the input lag was made more severe before the update went live? It's too bad I can't revert back to the previous version...

I'll use this collection to play the other games I mentioned until they hopefully get SEGA AGES releases, but I had to buy the SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog version literal minutes after buying the Genesis Collection because it's really, really beyond awful. AGES version is perfect though, no input lag whatsoever. In fact, it's almost uncannily responsive. Only other official Sonic port/emulation I have ever seen that's as good as this is the 3D Classics on 3DS.

Well both are from the masters at M2, so no surprises there. ;)

Personally I think SEGA AGES Sonic is the best incarnation of the game to date. Playing it makes me even more excited for SEGA AGES Sonic 2.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
So at the people who already own or have played the collection on Switch, can you still recommend this version despite the input lag or should one avoid it if possible? Are there any other major emulation issues? I want this collection mainly for Phantasy Star II - IV (Phantasy Star 1 Ages version got me hooked up on the series, now I want more of it^^), so I guess I could live with some input lag as it shouldn't be a problem when playing RPGs.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So at the people who already own or have played the collection on Switch, can you still recommend this version despite the input lag or should one avoid it if possible? Are there any other major emulation issues? I want this collection mainly for Phantasy Star II - IV (Phantasy Star 1 Ages version got me hooked up on the series, now I want more of it^^), so I guess I could live with some input lag as it shouldn't be a problem when playing RPGs.
On the rpgs and non-action games you will not notice any input lag at all.
If you want to play the PS games I'd say go for it.
The problem is on the fast paced games, like the Sonic games.

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the game on Switch. Holy shit the input lag. The menus aren't convenient, by the way, they chose form over function.

I should have stuck to Sega Ages.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Did the patches do anything to fix the scaling (handheld mode specifically)? There were some screenshots at launch that showed uneven pixel sizing. Reminded me of the Sonic Classic Collection for the DS which was horrible in that regard.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
It's 25%off on Switch right now (best price is €20 in Sweden for the region hoppers like myself), but is it still busted? Last I checked it was, but I'll pray it has been corrected now.

Because c'mon, it'd be absurd and highway robbery that after fixing or at least alleviating the lag issue, SEGA released a new patch which screwed everything up reverting back to the old latency settings with and months after they still haven't said a word about patching it

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they had an option to not use tge clunky front end. Just a list of games, like the nes games on Switch.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Hey, ya'll, figured I'd ask here before starting a thread (there doesn't seem to be a Phantasy Star community thread), but what is the recommend route for Phantasy Star III if I want to experience the most important parts of the Phantasy Star canon? I've been searching for a while, but it's not a very well loved game, so I haven't had much luck.

I'm doing a full playthrough of I-IV (please, no "the best route is to avoid Phantasy Star III" answers, I'm aware people don't like it), so my priority is seeing the parts of the story that are relevant to the others. I've read that Aron's ending is the one to get, but can't find what the route is to see that ending. Any advice here regarding the branching paths would be appreciated -- I don't mind doing one solid playthrough and watching the other endings on YouTube.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
For anyone looking to jump into this collection now - still terrible, input lag, pixel scaling, audio issues, screen rippling. All still there in the Switch release. Mostly unplayable rubbish.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
For anyone looking to jump into this collection now - still terrible, input lag, pixel scaling, audio issues, screen rippling. All still there in the Switch release. Mostly unplayable rubbish.

Damn, that sucks to hear. Especially with the SNES online love, I'm sad I can't play a good version of Gunstar Heroes on the Switch :(

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Damn, that sucks to hear. Especially with the SNES online love, I'm sad I can't play a good version of Gunstar Heroes on the Switch :(
Played a bit of Gunstar last night - in handheld it's *passable*. Lag is there although playing handheld eliminates a few ms from the TV mode. Pixels scale poorly, but it's semi playable. Other games are really not.

OP
OP
Piccoro

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Yep, Gunstar Heroes is one of my favourite games of all time. Currently the best ports are on the PS2 and PS3 (Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box) and the new Genesis Mini.
Sadly there's no good portable version.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Yep, Gunstar Heroes is one of my favourite games of all time. Currently the best ports are on the PS2 and PS3 (Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box) and the new Genesis Mini.
Sadly there's no good portable version.

3D Classics version!

but yeah this compilation is bad. On steam it's a thousand times better but here I can only tolerate the abysmal input lag for RPGs. Still would play PSIV on the mini tho

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
So this is on sale for the PS4 $14.99 on Amazon. Link

Worth it for the nostalgia and for someone who didnt really play Genesis back in the day?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heh, I noticed that my Retrode 2 was able to dump 32X games when you remove the plastic case's top because the cartridge wouldn't fit otherwise, dumped a pre-collector era, badly beaten up Doom copy that I was able to dump after a couple of cleanings/tries.

First dumping attempt was great though, it's like the cartridge went cray.

W5fUGU0.png

Sooooo, I just ordered a bunch of 32X games lol! Space Harrier, Cosmic Carnage and Virtua Racing Deluxe.

I'll probably be ordering a copy of After Burner, Star Wars Arcade and Knuckles Chaotix soon too. I wish there would be a way to play those on my Mega Sg outside of having the real add-on and a DAC, so I guess emulation will do for the moment.

What's great is that the game are mostly all still affordable versus say...the Sega CD.

Last edited:

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Nice, diggin' that 32X love. ^_^

I know the chances of this happening are depressingly low, but I'd freak if they'd remaster some of the best 32X games in the next SEGA AGES batch. Especially Knuckles' Chaotix.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping to ask if the PS4 version of this is playable. I know the Switch is a lost cause.