• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The ultimate question - how will the controllers connect? USB? Original ports? Wirelessly?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If the article that went up last Sunday in the Sankei Shimbun is to be believed, this is a repackaged ATGames SEGA GENESIS FLASHBACK.

https://www.sankei.com/economy/news/180408/ecn1804080004-n1.html

In an interview with COO Kenji Matsubara, it was stated at the time that "SEGA is exploring the idea of importing (to Japan) the officially licensed overseas Mega Drive remake "SEGA Genesis Flashback", which is currently produced in Taiwan under commission by SEGA for foreign markets".

So this thing:
https://www.atgames.us/products/sega-genesis-flashback

FUCK. Sega you had one fucking job :(. Please don't let this be true.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the article that went up last Sunday in the Sankei Shimbun is to be believed, this is a repackaged ATGames SEGA GENESIS FLASHBACK.

In an interview with COO Kenji Matsubara, it was stated at the time that "SEGA is exploring the idea of importing (to Japan) the officially licensed overseas Mega Drive remake "SEGA Genesis Flashback", which is currently produced in Taiwan under commission by SEGA for foreign markets".

So this thing:
lol oh sega.

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool they are doing this, but there is one big question: will it have good audio? Because the AtGames Genesis clones never have. It's not really the game selections or hardware that is AtGames' biggest flaw, it's the bad audio. Will Sega do better here? They should be aiming for getting as close to the first-model Genesis's sound as they can. If this thing's audio is AtGames levels of bad it'll be pretty disappointing... unless it's just another AtGames machine, in which case, oh well. I'm no audiophile, not even close, but with the Genesis the difference is so large that anyone can tell.

Beyond that, yes, the game selection is a big question. I hope for more of a "best of" than the AtGames libraries are. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is an absolute must-include title, first. They should have Landstalker, too; it's outstanding! And it'd be fantastic if Konami's games could finally be re-released, because Contra Hard Corps and Rocket Knight Adventures absolutely should be in this collection! Castlevania Bloodlines I have some issues with (though it is good), but those two are fantastic and need to be re-released. There are a lot of great Genesis games, and some of those are in the AtGames systems, but those have too many mediocre games and not enough of the greats.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh, was really hoping they would have allowed you to be able play with your cartridges, but I guess that was just wishful thinking. With my SNES classic just collecting dust, I think I'll pass on this.

vala

Oct 25, 2017
Really? But the Genesis Flashback is not SMALL
sega_mini_genesis_review_119.jpg

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Was reasonably excited, then read the update. bummer.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Happy for the people interested in jumping back in. Genesis is perhaps my favorite console despite growing up owning mostly Nintendo systems even while it was at its peak.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Finally! A high quality Megadrive mini! (Hopefully) I know you guys love some Nintendo but this Sega kid is happy to get one of these.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
If it's not 3rd party and actually has some unique games then I might jump on this. The thing is that unlike Nintendo's stuff that required virtual console purchases, Mega Drive/Genesis games have been available on collections for PS2, 350, PS3, PC and 3DS among others. I'm honestly shocked that anyone would excited for upcoming PS4/Xbox One version, which continues the trend of pushing the exact same games out. Anyone who has wanted to play these in the last 10 years has had a venue, granted the emulation is of varying quality.

To go back on topic, Sega is really banking on nostalgia (which I have no issues with), but they can't keep pushing out the exact same 30-40 games (Is there anyone nostalgic for the MD/Genesis version of Flicky?) every console generation. To make matters worse we're currently on the 5th or 6th release of these Genesis Flashback things and they seem to be getting worse with every iteration, I would bet good money that this is just a reshelled version of that, banking on some Japanese nostalgia this time. Regardless, unless this thing is rocking Super Daisenryaku, Bahamut Senki, or any of the other good Japan exclusive (or targeted) games that have been missing on the last few compilations it may actually be worth picking up.

As it is, I'm intrigued by the upcming Sega Ages releases on Switch (the Sega Ages releases on Saturn and PS2 were wonderful and are still worth seeking), which could offer some titles that haven't been released 10 times by now, such as Thunder Force IV.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So this thing:

This is what I was afraid of :(

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I was really excited when I saw the title, but then I saw the most recent posts and now I'm not really excited anymore? :'(

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Guys this isn't the Atgames console. Unless they completley redesigned the shell for zero reason. It doesn't even support carts like the AtGames system does

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guys this isn't the Atgames console. Unless they completley redesigned the shell for zero reason. It doesn't even support carts like the AtGames system does
I was thinking this too, hopefully it's a different device. Sega would be pretty dumb to import that piece of trash too, imagine the backlash from enthusiasts now that Nintendo's offerings are widely known as being far better.
This has always pissed me off, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is probably the best of Sonic and with S&K doubles the content but every cheap Sega classic console it's omitted
I feel like this should be linked in the OP od literally every thread involving Sega re-releases.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

There's almost nothing in the atgames Genesis Flashback. It really wouldn't be that hard for them to just remove the connector and have the software not look for it.

https://youtu.be/sIAgzWNhIj4?t=1m30s

You can see in that video there is almost nothing to it.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
If it's gonna just be a repackaged ATgames console then what's the fucking point? I really hope that's not the case.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
2 pages only? Wtf?

Damn. I was always a Nintendo boy but this is still very cool and I should probably get it. I only played Genesis at a few random kids houses or my cousins and they had like 3 games ever.

Aquova

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas

So this thing:

I'm honestly not sure I believe this. The crappy ATGames model was large enough to play actual cartridges, and it was nearly the same size as an actual Genesis:

sega_mini_genesis_review_119.jpg

The one the guy is holding in the presentation seems much smaller, perhaps the size of two Genesis cartridges side-by-side. The slot then would be too small to fit any actual games, and would imply this is a whole new model.

At least I hope.

On twitch, but I understand very little of what's going on.

img_20180414_02434423pr0.png

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My brother was burned by the cheap version two years ago. Gonna need to see the reviews on this one first...

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

So this thing:

o
fuck
u

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Hopefully western Sega comes out and confirms or denies whether if this is a shitty reshelled AtGames Genesis Mini or if it's an actual, brand new, produced by Sega themselves, mini console. If the bad ones already sell quite nicely, imagine having one with good reception.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm honestly not sure I believe this.

I'm not sure what exactly there is to "not believe" in here since the Sankei Shimbun is a reliable and reputable source (it is one of the leading national daily newspapers in Japan), directly interviewing the COO of Sega Japan.

Granted, it doesn't confirm 100% that this Mega Drive Mini is in fact a repackaged ATGames thing, and we'll only know for sure once it's out.
But Matsubara in person bringing up ATGames specifically in the interview doesn't bode well.

The only reason the ATGames console is big is actually the fact it has a cartridge connector (or rather, even, simply design reasons that are beyond me).
It's only plastic, the actual board and components are tiny. Barely wider than the cartridge port itself. With the cartridge connector removed, they could very easily fit in the model presented.during the SEGA event.
2rrtqqf.jpg

Tektonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what exactly there is to "not believe" in here since the Sankei Shimbun is a reliable and reputable source (it is one of the leading national daily newspapers in Japan), directly interviewing the COO of Sega Japan.

Granted, it doesn't confirm 100% that this Mega Drive Mini is in fact a repackaged ATGames thing, and we'll only know for sure once it's out.
But Matsubara in person bringing up ATGames specifically in the interview doesn't bode well.

The only reason the ATGames console is big is actually the fact it has a cartridge connector (or rather, even, simply design reasons that are beyond me).
It's only plastic, the actual board and components are tiny. Barely wider than the cartridge port itself. With the cartridge connector removed, they could very easily fit in the model presented.during the SEGA event.
2rrtqqf.jpg

Exactly.. putting faith in Sega releasing a new genesis mini, just because the size is smaller, is misguided. Especially since Sega has admitted to wanting to import atgames versions to release in in Japan.

Putting 2+2 together...

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
I love the Japanese design. I can't wait!
...to gut the shitty internals and put a raspberry pi in there.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Oh how Sega have wasted this opportunity for years by rereleasing stuff in terrible quality far too often. Will anybody even notice this compared to all the other Mega Drive mini consoles that have come and gone.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Please have Contra and Castlevania
And the Disney games. Don't forget the Disney games.

Also are the controllers wireless? I don't mind them using batteries but are they wireless?

I still find it silly they're doing this after licensing the concept to other companies over the years. EDIT: Wait it's based on one of those models? Hmm...

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

So this thing:

Finally a mini version of a GOOD console.

Contrary to the other company doing GOOD mini version of a console.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy it only if it's legit, not some repackaged trash like rumored. Not that I have actual use for one as I probably have all the games on there anyway /brag, but I would still buy it of it was a proper Genesis/Megadrive mini.