• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Cute:
fd___0_00_31_282018-04-13-21h41m51s608.png

fd___0_00_31_472018-04-13-21h42m11s050.png

DatRYNGU0AA7eJP.jpg

DatRYNFUwAA-mpj.jpg

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/713/1713196/
No games info yet.

Mod edit :
If the article that went up last Sunday in the Sankei Shimbun is to be believed, this is a repackaged ATGames SEGA GENESIS FLASHBACK.

https://www.sankei.com/economy/news/180408/ecn1804080004-n1.html

In an interview with COO Kenji Matsubara, it was stated at the time that "SEGA is exploring the idea of importing (to Japan) the officially licensed overseas Mega Drive remake "SEGA Genesis Flashback", which is currently produced in Taiwan under commission by SEGA for foreign markets".

So this thing:
https://www.atgames.us/products/sega-genesis-flashback

Last edited:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh, I actually didn't expect that with how many third party approved hardware versions of the Mega Drive exist.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
this better have a good sound chip, cause the 3rd party minis have a shitty one

emb

Oct 28, 2017
I like how Sega already did this years ago. They agreed for some other company to do it anyway. Then Nintendo does it, with a proper marketing push and stronger IP, then Sega directly copies it, down to the 'Mini' naming. And this time around it will probably be more of a success, piggybacking off the NES stuff.

Disclaimer: I don't actually know much about what the specifics of this product are, this is just a quick hot take.

Nosgotham

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Is it the sane hunk of junk that gets re released every year or will they actually take pride in this product?

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
honestly the game selection could be sub par and i'd still buy one.... its about the size of the genesis 3 though which seems kind of big IMO,

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Was never a big fan of the genesis as a kid, but I won't lie, I'd definitely check it out.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
What info do we got? Preloaded games? ROM support like some of the existing Sega systems on the market? Will it actually work decently unlike the previously mentioned systems?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I expect all three Shining games and landstalker.

I also expect to be disappointed.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Do this right for a change and you've got a sale from me.

Was this the "huge announcement"?

Oct 26, 2017
If it's a system loaded with ROMS I don't think joe public will see this as any different from the other retro style Mega Drive's already available even if Sega does put a lot of effort into it.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Will wait for more details before getting too excited, if it has a decent selection of games and is made in-house at Sega with decent emulation I will pick one up.

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
I'M SO EXCITED

I HOPE IT HAS HDMI and I hope I can load more games onto it too!

I don't think they'll have the more obscure titles from my childhood!

I was THIS close to making a raspberry pi geneisis usb hub mod, I'm so glad I didn't

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
If it's a system loaded with ROMS I don't think joe public will see this as any different from the other retro style Mega Drive's already available even if Sega does put a lot of effort into it.

I doubt Joe public is even aware the other ones exist. I remember the first time I came across one at a dollar store and I made a thread about it on the old forum because I thought it was some kind of Chinese knockoff that made it's way into a national dollar store chain. Several other posters thought the same and that was on an enthusiast forum.

Oct 25, 2017
I expect all three Shining games and landstalker.

I also expect to be disappointed.

Shining Force III is a Saturn game though.

I loved the Genesis, but I have more Genesis games than almost any other retro console already. I'll still buy it, though.

But fuck it, even if it's not really popular enough to exist, I want a mini-Saturn and somehow Segata Sanshiro slingshots himself back to earth by using his gi and two asteroids to catch a ride on a comet and then presents the mini-Saturn at a conference and then karate chops a young Playstation fan.