• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sony is doing their own thing.
Microsoft is doing their own thing.
Nintendo is doing their own thing.

Why can't SEGA do their own thing as well? It's a good thing that they're exploring the different market and audience with new tech.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I thought there was already arcade boards that can download games at will from a server? Like those all.net machines that have multiple fighting games on them.

Instead if downloading them, stream them from the fog?l like all machines would be like stadia And no local hardware?

but the announcement said there is still gonna be local hardware at the Sega arcades being utilized for some cloud functions during Non business hours.

the question is what are these functions they are talking about that the machines will be used for during non business hours.

even if they let people play the arcade machine game on the cloud during non business hours (Which is not what they are talking about I think?), what does that entail even? Are there enough arcade boards for the rest of the world to stream games from?somebody said they have 70 amusement centers? Is that enough machines? It's not even close to enough it would seem. Plus in top of that, most of these games have specialized hardware for controls. It's not even close to the same experience.

we just need more info, haha.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not what I'd call a "huge scoop."

Maybe not for you but this is a pretty interesting idea, Sega has always innovated on the arcade front and the japanese amusement market has been stagnant for years now, any new ways for operators & distributors to make money is welcome.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
If I understand correctly, it's like remote play, but using Arcade Cabinet instead of PS4/Xbox/PC ?

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
OK, so this is my take-away.

Sega is updating/improving/standardising the network that links its arcade machines together to make sure it is low-latency.
This low-latency network will enable them to utilise the CPU/GPU power in arcade cabinets that are sitting idle, and 'pool' those resources.
This pool of CPU/GPU power can then be used for enterprise-level computing tasks, like encoding video, crunching intense mathematical calculations, running databases etc.

It's not about letting you play arcade games at home, its about putting idle CPU/GPU power to use so that it can generate extra revenue.

At least that's my interpretation of it.

Makes sense, given that arcade machines are all PC-based these days anyway.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand this to be honest. They're going to use arcade hardware in the off hours to run a cloud gaming service? So, essentially using the extremely underpowered PC hardware inside all these cabinets nowadays to serve instances of cloud games to nearby Japanese gamers exclusive in the wee hours of the morning.

For example Sega's most used arcade hardware platform at the moment, Nu (the later Nu2 is barely used) has an i3 3220, 4gb 800mhz DDR3, a GTX 650ti , 64gb sata SSD and 500gb mechanical drive (5400rpm I believe). Unless they are simply pooling the resources of the GPUs or something that hardware is far too weak, and if they are pooling it to drive an actual instance wouldn't the latency suck? It won't be streaming the arcade games themselves because nowadays they all have card readers and unique controllers that are a nightmare to replicate at home.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like a lot of y'all have no love for J arcades. I'm excited by the idea that I can play arcade games from home! There are so many incredible arcade exclusives in Japan.
I'm kind of baffled as to what their streaming solution is here...
I have so many questions.

What is a regular Arcade goer going to play on this?
How is this being streamed?
Does the arcade owner have to equip any eligible machine with extra hardware?
Is there going to be a streaming mode for the machines that turns off the lights\image\sound as to not waste power?
Is a particular game limited to the number of physical machines present on the available arcades?
If so, is there a queue or a timer that dictates how much time you can play until you have to go to the back of the queue?
What's the requirements for the user to be able to play?
Does the location have to upgrade their internet to a specific standard?
How do you load balance if a specific location is full?
Is this a subscription? Or pay per play?

I assume:
- Fast paced games where input lag matters, are out.
- Cabinets with huge dedicated hardware are out.
- Non Sega controlled titles are out, unless they have deals.

I get there are tons of weird and quirky titles that could translate well to home play, i just doubt the solidity of the project, since it's Sega. If they have a cool website with a virtual Arcade social network type thing where you can browse the games, talk to other people and the streaming works exceptionaly well, it might takeoff, who knows.

They got the name right, though.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Well idea is not bad, since arcade clubs are located all over Japan. Instead of users contacting one big central server location, they will have a choice of hundreds of smaller locations and the system can find the closes machine to them.

They will essentially placing cloud gaming hardware in every city in Japan.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure how it's going to look like. You buy some kind of specialized arcade stick, hook it up to internet and you can connect to arcade machines remotely? Does that mean gamers still have to buy "token" to play games at home? Either way this sounds like a terrible idea and probably won't make it outside Japan.
I don't think it has anything to do with playing streamed arcade games at home.
It seems it aim to offer a new revenue stream for arcade operators for when the amusement centers are closed (at night for example) by providing computational power for unspecified cloud solutions through the arcade machines.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
So this helps arcades stay open making them into servers when the arcade is closed? If so that's awesome.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
It's like Stadia but instead of having servers on a rack, you're relying on old PC's on the Arcade that's nearest to you.
Sounds like a treat...

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Feel like a lot of y'all have no love for J arcades. I'm excited by the idea that I can play arcade games from home! There are so many incredible arcade exclusives in Japan.

Nothing indicates that it's about distributing arcade games to home users at this point.

All we know is that they want to leverage arcade cabinets' unused computing power for some flavor of (supposedly gaming-related) distributed calculation service that arcade operators can sell.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I don't really understand this to be honest. They're going to use arcade hardware in the off hours to run a cloud gaming service? So, essentially using the extremely underpowered PC hardware inside all these cabinets nowadays to serve instances of cloud games to nearby Japanese gamers exclusive in the wee hours of the morning.

For example Sega's most used arcade hardware platform at the moment, Nu (the later Nu2 is barely used) has an i3 3220, 4gb 800mhz DDR3, a GTX 650ti , 64gb sata SSD and 500gb mechanical drive (5400rpm I believe). Unless they are simply pooling the resources of the GPUs or something that hardware is far too weak, and if they are pooling it to drive an actual instance wouldn't the latency suck? It won't be streaming the arcade games themselves because nowadays they all have card readers and unique controllers that are a nightmare to replicate at home.

yea, the current arcade boards seem weak. I wonder if they are going to introduce a new generation of better arcade boards for this initiative

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love Japanese arcades, but it's not like this would mean I could play Maimai at home. Most arcade games require special inputs, so putting them in the cloud (or "fog") isn't going to enable them to be played at home.
Jup, people forget about the fact that modern arcade machines are more about the "ride/input" than graphics. That is a thing of the past, now any PC can do Arcade ports near Arcade perfect, as the price of components came down extensively.

But the creative cabinets ... that's not something you can have at home for a decent price :). So cloud or not... a Cloud Horse Riding Cabinet simply won't work at home.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it has anything to do with playing streamed arcade games at home.
It seems it aim to offer a new revenue stream for arcade operators for when the amusement centers are closed (at night for example) by providing computational power for unspecified cloud solutions through the arcade machines.
But the hardware that runs those games is relatively under powered - relative as really they don't need more power for what is running on it - to what Microsoft and Amazon have in their cloud solutions. So... what kind of computational power will you use it for? It simply makes no sense to use those machines for cloud computing either. Streaming to home I could understand, but then still you lack the special input that makes SEGA Arcade machines so special. At most you might be able to share computational power all machines aren't in use? But what happens if all machines ARE in use?

That's why these reactions of me not loving "SEGA Arcade" so pointless, I love em... but that is why I know it is about "the ride/control" and not the graphics anymore. Unless you borrow your daughter's hippetyhop you're not going to simulate a Horse riding Arcade machine.

I really need to read up on this article, as I think I'm missing something in the translation given on twitter, so the moment I find a good translation I'm reading up on this. I"m missing something here.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm... Imagine the arcade closes, and outside the arcade there's lines of an ATM-like machine that can remotely play the inside games. That would be an interesting way to keep revenue coming in 24/7. Of course, that may not at all be what this is.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does any of this mean we get to play Sega arcade games at home too?
Really you'd want to play this at home with your joypad?

System 16 - Sega Nu Hardware (Sega)

System16 - The Arcade Museum. Detailed Hardware information on Arcade Hardware and Systems.

Without the special controllers?

Well not my idea of fun.. and I love this shit in the Arcade.

I'd rather have them make dedicated Arcade like games, like Arcade racers (and no Forza Horizon is NOT an Arcade racer) then to force something like a a rhythm game onto joypads.

Hmmm... Imagine the arcade closes, and outside the arcade there's lines of an ATM-like machine that can remotely play the inside games. That would be an interesting way to keep revenue coming in 24/7. Of course, that may not at all be what this is.
You don't need cloud computing for that.

No, I'm missing something here and I would like to read up more up on this. Could be that something is lost in translation. So when the article hits, it'll probably be properly translated and then we will all know :).

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Similar to what others have said, while this might be cool for Japan (and whatever it is likely exclusive to consumers and arcade operators in Japan), I feel like you can count the number of Sega arcade games that actually have localisations from the last 10 years on two hands. Even further, Club Sega isn't really an entity in say, the US, and while places like Dave and Busters and other brewcades likely have some Sega machines, I just don't see how this could be implemented outside of Japan.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Sega keeps doing their thing at their own pace. The GameGear for ants was weird, but this is a fine idea. If this initiative takes off, they will basically gain the upperhand over all other arcade competitors.

Poor Sega Series X, though, taken away from us before it could be born.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This could get kinda crazy, but it's really Japan-centric. Increasing the amount of non-mobile players in Japan can only be a good thing for japanese games as a whole. Hopefully it takes off.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Look this is real good for me if it somehow means I can sneak a way into using JP arcades via VPN or something

That's what I'm thinking too

If only they remember Virtua Fighter 5 FS exists, that's a win.

Hey it's been in the Yakuza games.

yea, the current arcade boards seem weak. I wonder if they are going to introduce a new generation of better arcade boards for this initiative

The newest arcade board is ALLS

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty interesting but I need to see how this actually works.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i called it
www.resetera.com

[Gematsu] Japanese tech journalist teases “huge scoop” on the level of Wired’s PS5 article for June 4-due issue of Weekly Famitsu (Sega related)

There is no way this announcement is going to be as big as they are promoting. I cannot even see Microsoft buying Sega as many of their titles sell best on Nintendo platforms along with the big bucks of Yakuza on PS. I am curious as to what it is, I cannot even wrap my head around anything that...

this is huge and worth hyping for.
Called it too lol

hopefully people outside japan can play too

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
If only Densha de Go arcade were on SEGA hard :(
but taito... nope

I guess for Horse races-betting games it will be ok.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is doing their own thing.
Microsoft is doing their own thing.
Nintendo is doing their own thing.

Why can't SEGA do their own thing as well? It's a good thing that they're exploring the different market and audience with new tech.

This thing is more or less irrelevant for people other than those who live in (medium-to-big) japanese cities...
So = disappointing

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
My take on it. This isn't going to be for streaming Arcade games to people in Japan, this is going to be for Sega to use the idle machines for some form of enterprise/business compute.

I doubt they have any immediate plans to stream Virtua Fighter into Japanese homes in the middle of the night.

It's making idle hardware do something in its downtime. Not even Japanese gamers will benefit so it's not going to have any impact on Western gamers at all.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty big deal for Japan. If you hyped yourself up for a western-oriented announcement you only have yourself to blame. This was a JP tech guy hyping up a JP tech scoop.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade games are the best shit ever and I have the luck that I still go regularly to game centers in my country... well, before the corona of course, so any news that can help this business is awesome for me, even if it is Japan-only.

Yet I confess this is... well, I have a lot of questions about the reliability of this because japanese game centers has absolutely shitty internet connections. NESiCAxLive servers are always having problems and the Sega P-Ras Multi is not the exception... and arcade online gaming is terrible, I tried it on NESiCAxLive 2 games and it works like shit, specially outside Tokyo or Osaka. Even Puyo Puyo Champions had delay problems, at least when I tried it, so... wish you luck with this, Sega.

By the way, maybe this could be just an answer to piracy... if you know what Jconfig or Teknoparrot is you maybe know what I'm talking about.