• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 17, 2018
It seems Yakuza Kiwami won't have Denuvo, this was posted on steam forums:

eehZxjF.png

Catherine Classic also released without it. Really hoping they'll remove it from Y0, too.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's the conclusion. They have probably looked at their sales for y0 and similar titles and projected that investing money into adding denuvo for a title that is expected to sell relatively low number during the launch period is not a sensible business decision and it's not going to help boost initial sales and similar and that's the point of denuvo. They're not going to remove it from football manager or total war because those sell a lot. If they do then you can say they are dropping denuvo.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Oh, thank god. This Christmas I was going to buy a bunch of old Sega ports like Vanquish, Bayonetta, etc, and then thought against it because of Denuvo being everywhere on their recent titles. I'm not spending money on games that won't work years from now when I finally get the chance to play them.

I will buy all of them now, though!

Oh, thank god. This Christmas I was going to buy a bunch of old Sega ports like Vanquish, Bayonetta, etc, and then thought against it because of Denuvo being everywhere on their recent titles. I'm not spending money on games that won't work years from now when I finally get the chance to play them.

I will buy all of them now, though!

But those 2 don't have denuvo, Sega is super weird with which games gets it. As someone posted above they probably did it with internal metrics.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
But those 2 don't have denuvo, Sega is super weird with which games gets it. As someone posted above they probably did it with internal metrics.

Well, I also meant to list Puyo Tetris and Yakuza 0. Those were the first I checked when I was putting stuff on cart and I was horrified they had Denuvo. I assumed the other two had it as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's the conclusion. They have probably looked at their sales for y0 and similar titles and projected that investing money into adding denuvo for a title that is expected to sell relatively low number during the launch period is not a sensible business decision and it's not going to help boost initial sales and similar and that's the point of denuvo. They're not going to remove it from football manager or total war because those sell a lot. If they do then you can say they are dropping denuvo.

Yakuza 0 sold between 200,000-500,000 copies according to SteamSpy metrics, so this doesn't really seem to be the case?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

^ this. Not worth the per game license fee

ChatonPute

Oct 25, 2017
It seems Yakuza Kiwami won't have Denuvo, this was posted on steam forums:

Catherine Classic also released without it. Really hoping they'll remove it from Y0, too.

Stupid question, but what is the impact of Denuvo on the game performance ?
Does it impact the CPU, GPU or RAM ?

Is there any exemple of a game running better after a Denuvo removal ?

OP
OP
borntoulouselautrec
Jul 17, 2018
Stupid question, but what is the impact of Denuvo on the game performance ?
Does it impact the CPU, GPU or RAM ?

Is there any exemple of a game running better after a Denuvo removal ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VpWKwIjwLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_DD-txK9_Q

Keep in mind that the performance does depend on how well it was implemented but basically it was better if it wasn't there at all. That way the devs had less to do and the customers don't have to worry about getting a performance hit (other than the game being just badly optimized in general).

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
^ this. Not worth the per game license fee
Yeah if you graph out their supposedly leaked license fees (caveat: 2 years old data, before being bought by Irdeto), apparently for mid-size games there's a sour spot where you can end up overpaying a lot depending on the pricing type.
Lump sum model:
AAA title (bigger 500k units on PC): 100.000 EUR
AA title (smaller 500k units on PC): 50.000 EUR
Indie title (less than 100k units on PC): 10.000 EUR
Or
Per unit pricing:
2.500 EUR setup fee + 0,15 EUR per unit reported monthly based on Steam,… owners.
centered-all-eurocorrect.png

I wonder if their prices would have gone up or down after their aquisition.

Last edited:

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Yay, that's good news. Now hopefully the game doesn't crash if you do a Heavy Attack while there's a dot somewhere in your game installation path like Yakuza 0 does.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I tried telling folks around here that SEGA would patch out Denuvo from their games eventually. They have a history of updating their even very old PC games, so if there was ever a problem for most users I am sure they would fix it. There is no way they would just passively allow like a quarter of their games to become unplayable on future computers.

Pretty cool news though considering how certain I am that performance was impacted even if just a little bit. Hopefully this keeps up because my computer will likely already majorly struggle to run games like Judgment if we do end up getting that.

What? Yakuza 0's PC port was one of their most successful ports yet. They are overjoyed by it's numbers.

Removing Denuvo from the Total War Warhammer games might be Games Workshop's call instead of SEGA's, but I am sure the majority of their other games if not all will not have them anymore as I believe Denuvo's licenses are obtained in bulk.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Removing Denuvo from the Total War Warhammer games might be Games Workshop's call instead of SEGA's, but I am sure the majority of their other games if not all will not have them anymore as I believe Denuvo's licenses are obtained in bulk.

I'm pretty sure it was Sega's call as the Linux version of Warhammer II: Total War is published by Feral instead of Sega and does not have Denuvo. If it was a Creative Assembly requirement I don't think that would be true.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Has Denuvo even been useful lately? I remember hearing about some Denuvo games getting cracked in like a week

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy Kiwami has a release date. Idk if it was announced already but I was beginning to think it was never coming

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Namco might also be dropping it as well. Tales of Vesperia didn't have it and GOD EATER 3 doesn't have it listed at the moment.

Capcom next please.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I can't blame these companies. I understand why they would want to protect their games from piracy but so many games are cracked on day one or close to it that it's a pretty big waste of money. You can also get into how many pirates even bother to buy games if they can't pirate them. The less companies that use this DRM the better.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
It's good news to see. I hope Sega/Sega EU's next step is to fix regional pricing on some of their latest batch of games they are releasing. I mean what's the point of dropping Denuvo if it still costs a bunch more than usual in other regions that don't have a strong currency? You want people, even those that don't earn much, to pay for your game now instead of waiting for a sale.