• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Sep 28, 2018
Sega2020.png

PC gaming also did quite well throughout FY2018 thanks to big games like Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami coming to the platform, and SEGA sees big opportunities for increased earnings. SEGA has plans to keep porting games over to PC storefronts like Steam in a bid to maximize reach, exposure, and sales across all gaming segments.

PS4 exclusivity will continue breaking down as SEGA adopts this multi-platform approach. The publisher affirms its new games will come to all systems, from PC to mobile and even next-gen consoles like the PlayStation 5.

It also plans to revive dormant IPs and fan-favorite content while launching special re-releases like the SEGA Genesis Mini.

Retail packaged games are also a part of this plan, particularly games brought overseas to North America. SEGA enjoyed strong packaged sales in FY2018 despite a good portion of gamers moving towards digital

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65722/sega-refocuses-existing-ips-promises-more-pc-ports/index.html

65722_45_sega-refocuses-existing-ips-promises-more-pc-ports.png

Other details to note:

-SEGA wishes to expand sales of Japanese Studio games in the overseas markets

- Despite ranked No.2 in overall on Metacritic score last year, while having more titles release than their competitors, SEGA have mentioned they continue to focus on improving overall quality.

sega20202.png

SEGA's full end of year report can be seen here: https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english...ment/2019/201903_4q_siryo_2019426_final_e.pdf

Last edited:

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Fist of the North Star and Judgment are next.

The Yakuza series is a given, Persona 5 might need another decade.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
SEGA's been really good about their pc support, hope they'll have some surprises for the E3 in store

Deleted member 59

Looking forward to playing Kiwami 2 and (seemingly) Judgement on PC, but think I need to build a new one to get the full benefit!

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Persona 4 Golden re-release? Someone at Sega is bound to see this thread, right? :P

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they've said before that they're working on reviving old IPs. Which I guess they've kept their word on, they've since revived Sakura Wars and allowed Lizardcube and Guard Crush to make a new Streets of Rage. Cool to hear they plan on doing more of that (though it'd be cool to see new original games from them as well)

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 exclusivity will continue breaking down as SEGA adopts this multi-platform approach. The publisher affirms its new games will come to all systems, from PC to mobile and even next-gen consoles like the PlayStation 5.
I know they can't reference any new Xbox platform as one hasn't been announced, but my expectations are they're just going to develop mainline console Atlus games for PS5 in the future. Switch might get some side-games like P5S, but that is all.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Gimme dem SEGA classics, SEGA.
I'm talkin' the Disney stuff, the arcade stuff, the Saturn stuff, the Dreamcast stuff, this damned compilation release already
s-l500.jpg
Nightshade_%28PS2%29_Coverart.png
$_35.JPG

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The big problem to me is that if a game that should be an EASY cash cow like Sonic Mania (Plus) isn't enough to revitalize interest in the franchise and therefore in the company's other IP--which their earnings unfortunately demonstrate--what is?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Guess this change to mulitplatform approach is rather recent? Given that two of their upcoming big releases are in-fact PS4 exclusive so far. (Assuming i didn't miss a PC announcement for Sakura Wars)

E: Oh an if you're going to revive something, revive Skies of Arcadia, it's been long enough ffs.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Where are my Sonic HD Remaster's or remakes

Sonic Mania 2
Sonic Adventure 1&2, Heroes, 06 Remake / HD collection

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Atlus and Sega's strategies seem to be moving in completely different directions.

I assume that Persona 5 the Royal and SMT5 are going to be the last games Atlus will make that will be forever exclusive properties

Project RE Fantasy, depending on what it is, might be multiplatform

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Guess this change to mulitplatform approach is rather recent? Given that two of their upcoming big releases are in-fact PS4 exclusive so far. (Assuming i didn't miss a PC announcement for Sakura Wars)

They deliberately withheld the announcement of a pc version for valkria chronicles 4 despite announcing it for all other platforms to the point that everyone became disappointed and angry at them, only to officially announce it later during the pc gaming e3 show together with 4 other titles.

So what I'm saying is, wait til e3 before making conclusions.

OP
OP
The Anonymous Wizard
Sep 28, 2018
So no new ideas after Judgment? Too bad.

It's really no surprise to me, Judgement probably won't sell half as much as a Yakuza title will... However, the Yakuza team have not shied away from trying lots of new things, story elements within the Yakuza titles, so not the worst loss.

It's bitter-sweet for me, I do love SEGA's new IP's, like Judgement, but when I think of the enormous catalogue of existing great IP's they could revisit I'm very excited about the prospects.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i'd love to see a remake of skies of arcadia, phantasy star, the shinobi games and such...

I never played PS2 shinobi, but Revenge and Shinobi 3 were two of my favortie genesis games growing up, just epic. They could get some of that Ninja gaiden demand out there if they do it right.

Yea

The original non-royal edition if catherine is anything to go by

Considering how Catherine was multiplat in the first place, probably not even the base game if Atlus really has it in their heads that Persona and SMT mainline just make sense on Playstation and Nintendo respectively

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme dem SEGA classics, SEGA.
I'm talkin' the Disney stuff, the arcade stuff, the Saturn stuff, the Dreamcast stuff, this damned compilation release already
s-l500.jpg
Nightshade_%28PS2%29_Coverart.png
$_35.JPG

The PS2 and 3DS Shinobi games are super under rated. I was so surprised witht he 3DS version especially expecting it to be a cheap cash in at best, but its an incredibly solid (and tough!) 2D platformer.

Also. More revivals. Yakuza Dead Souls Remaster here we come.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
They could start by releasing the latest version of Vanquish (or Bayonetta) on modern systems. Every time they talk about ports, they seem to go in a single way.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
To me the PlayStation 4 exclusivity breaking down comment means we will be seeing titles like Judgment and Shin Sakura Taisen come to at least PC, but I hope they can come to Xbox One as well just for the exposure. Any other viable games should come to all platforms though.

It is going to be interesting to see how they handle the power divide between next gen consoles and Nintendo Switch. I suspect the SEGA AGES line will remain exclusive to that platform (sadly), but for their big Sonic games and the like I imagine they will have to get a second development team to handle alternate versions for the hardware. If stuff like Valkyria continues I think they will not really try to push tech, so that will probably be on everything again.

Atlus is the biggest elephant in the room here though. I expect more Atlus games to come to PC, but I have no idea what they would consider in terms of new or old titles. I would say at least Persona 5 S is likely, though.

Just keep up the awesome ports I say. I have my fingers crossed for a Skies of Arcadia remastering for all platforms. Any day now...

The big problem to me is that if a game that should be an EASY cash cow like Sonic Mania (Plus) isn't enough to revitalize interest in the franchise and therefore in the company's other IP--which their earnings unfortunately demonstrate--what is?
They've made it clear that in their road to 2020 they intend to make more games that satisfy their fans rather than just focus on what can make them the most money. Restablishing their fanbase has been working wonderfully IMO. I have not seen this much constant love for the company since the Dreamcast days.

It's really no surprise to me, Judgement probably won't sell half as much as a Yakuza title will... However, the Yakuza team have not shied away from trying lots of new things, story elements within the Yakuza titles, so not the worst loss.

It's bitter-sweet for me, I do love SEGA's new IP's, like Judgement, but when I think of the enormous catalogue of existing great IP's they could revisit I'm very excited about the prospects.
I am actually expecting Judgment to sell significantly better in the west than all past Yakuza games have. It being presented as a new IP along with an English dub means more people will be willing to give it a shot already, but I suspect SEGA's going to push this one hard in marketing too.

Honestly I would be as so bold to say I am expecting it to sell double (if not more) in the west compared to what it did in Japan.

Any change is welcome. They've been a disaster on the switch so far
Absolute nonsense. They are one of Nintendo Switch's strongest supporters. Easily.