• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
So wait, I haven't downloaded a demo in years, but when did they start making you download the whole damn game just to play a sneaky peak?

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So wait, I haven't downloaded a demo in years, but when did they start making you download the whole damn game just to play a sneaky peak?

It was sort of a full game trial that gives you the prologue and chapter 1.it let you carry on into the main game once its out. because of the similar file sizes and content, it is safe to assume someone fucked up and uploaded the actual game file instead of the one with limiters placed on it

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
This demo will let you continue where you left off in the main game. I have no idea how that all works though.

But post-release demos these days make you download the entire game just to let you play the first hour so I guess this one will follow the same principals come April.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of demos these days allow your progress to carry over to the full game. So I guess the easiest way to do that would be to just let people download the full game and only allow access to a small part of the game. But it's probably not so easy since they fucked up anyway.

Oct 29, 2017
So the correct version is just 'instead of uploading the demo, they uploaded the full game'? That's crazy, I wonder if the released version will have any changes over this accidentally released one.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
So ... the demo has been the full game with some restrictions that people where able to disable/work around? How did anyone at Sega think that this is a good way to handle a demo?
btw, it was like that in Japan for about year since release. Size for trial and full game was the same.

You could have just played it and beaten it, and paid for it once it's released if you felt bad. But you do you i suppose.
and what if he won't like the demo?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So the correct version is just 'instead of uploading the demo, they uploaded the full game'? That's crazy, I wonder if the released version will have any changes over this accidentally released one.
No the correct version would be "they accidentally uploaded the game without any demo restrictions"

It's not unusual for games these days to release the full game itself and then out restrictions on it for the purpose of a demo. This allows players to avoid downloading the game from scratch when no it comes out and also carry forward their progress.

Oct 29, 2017
No the correct version would be "they accidentally uploaded the game without any demo restrictions"

It's not unusual for games these days to release the full game itself and then out restrictions on it for the purpose of a demo. This allows players to avoid downloading the game from scratch when no it comes out and also carry forward their progress.

Right, but that seems like the same thing to me

Edit: the point is there was no action required by the user here. It's not like an exploit existed in the game to bypass the demo restrictions, the user just had the full game to play with no action on their part

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well damn, some lucky Americans got the full Yakuza 6 for free :)

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.

You could have just played it and beaten it, and paid for it once it's released if you felt bad. But you do you i suppose.

This demo is kinda weird. I don't know if I actually would have played through it. Since I find the wait too long until I get to play it, which is after I am done with God of War. So in the end, I'd probably not played much of it anyhow.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
This demo will let you continue where you left off in the main game. I have no idea how that all works though.

But post-release demos these days make you download the entire game just to let you play the first hour so I guess this one will follow the same principals come April.

A lot of demos these days allow your progress to carry over to the full game. So I guess the easiest way to do that would be to just let people download the full game and only allow access to a small part of the game. But it's probably not so easy since they fucked up anyway.

It was sort of a full game trial that gives you the prologue and chapter 1.it let you carry on into the main game once its out. because of the similar file sizes and content, it is safe to assume someone fucked up and uploaded the actual game file instead of the one with limiters placed on it

Ahhhhh, that makes sense.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm usually all for exploiting this kind of stuff but I'm glad it wasn't up for long before it was discovered. The series needs to be successful enough so they can go back and localise Ishin.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but that seems like the same thing to me

Edit: the point is there was no action required by the user here. It's not like an exploit existed in the game to bypass the demo restrictions, the user just had the full game to play with no action on their part
Oh yes indeed. They word it as if the the players found a workaround and did something. And as I explained in a previous post of mine in this thread that's totally false since all I did was just download the thing and play it.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
More than getting the game for free, I'm jealous of people being able to play the game now instead of God of War week.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As nice as getting a free game is, hopefully not many people got it free because the Yakuza games deserve all the sales they can get, to make sure Sega keep releasing them outside of Japan.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying the game either-way but I am jealous of people who get to play early. I have been looking forward to 6 since last year and it being delayed was a very huge disappointment for me.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
A UK Dreamcast magazine gave away a demo disc that could be used as a boot disc for burned games.
SEGA always gonna be SEGA
That was nothing to do with SEGA. It was a Datel product not endorsed by SEGA and it wasn't an official SEGA mag either. Flying Squadron with SEGA Pro was a little mess up, but hardly anyone knew about it at the time and it was also to SEGA credit that they allowed SEGA Saturn mag to give away Christmas NiGHTS and the entire 1st disc of Panzer Dragoon.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the "fixed" demo is out soon. I've got the LE pre-ordered (& I'm keeping it) and might just stop at the end of Ch. 1 since I'm about halfway through Yakuza 5 at the moment, plus I've got another game I really want next week to keep me occupied for March, but from what I've played, it's easily the best game in terms of QoL improvements and consistent in how it looks. The fact there's almost no more loading times save for mini-games (no seriously, no more loading when walking into a building, it's freakin' seamless) is kind of surreal after playing 0, Kiwami, & going through 5. The demo certainly did its job of wanting me to play more & I want to use this "mistake" to convince people they should check out the demo once it's back up & hopefully get the game.

Plus I'm keeping my LE since I want to show support for a niche series that takes a long time to translate & hopefully leads to Kiwami 2 (which I'm sure will come over) and that Fist of the North Star game to get localized.

Hell, if anything, it's gonna be harder to go back to 5 than it was after playing 0 & Kiwami (I seriously miss the sprint button).

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I've had Yakuza 6 preordered for a while already. This doesn't change anything for me, but I hope it wiil not affect sales much.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
The demo was also removed from the EU store today.

Yesterday I added the demo to the cart, and it is sitting on my download list...

But I won't download it. I have too much respect for this series.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it was just a mistake, it's weird in this day and age to send the whole game as a demo. Even if you intend people to be able to use their save in the main game, they could at least not include late-game assets in the download.

Oct 27, 2017
The demo was also removed from the EU store today.

Yesterday I added the demo to the cart, and it is sitting on my download list...

But I won't download it. I have too much respect for this series.

Eu Store here, i already downloaded it, who knows if EU version has the same issue. Anyway i won't play it, will delete and wait to buy the game when it's released.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The real funny thing about all this is : the game is complete and yet they decided to push it to release one week before God of War?
Whats wrong with you, SEGA?
With that being said : support the game, if there is one franchise that needs this support this franchise is Yakuza !

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
C_QzSEWXsAAEupv.jpg

Playstation Network, yesterday.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sega missed the great opportunity to pull a Saturn and say "hey... its out!".

Already bought the game, would've loved to have downloaded this and start playing right away.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Between this and the daytona 3 fumble, Sega is killing it lately

Goro Majima

Oct 29, 2017
But wait...if you couldn't unlock all game, why they are waiting until April to release the game if it is apparently ready?