• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The Yakuza 6: The Song of Life Demo has been removed from the US PlayStation Store after SEGA discovered users were able to unlock the full game.

The official SEGA Twitter account issued an apology today for having to remove the demo for the latest Yakuza title.

The tweet explains that some players were able to use the demo to unlock the full game without paying for the full game, which isn't too surprising given its whopping 36.53GB download size.

It looks as though the demo is the full game with the intent to allow players to carry save data over after purchasing the title, which is great as Yakuza 6 is a fantastic entry into the series for new players.

The removal may leave some fans unhappy as the game has already been set back to April from its original March release.

At the time of publishing the demo is still downloadable on the Australian PS Store and the UK PS Store, so it seems the versions of the demo for SEGA Europe territories may be working as intended.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02...because-players-were-able-to-unlock-full-game

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Bit confused how it is depicted players were able to unlock the full game when it seems whoever published the demo accidentally the whole game and players didn't need to do anything.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is going to history. I read they didn't even have to do anything complicated? Like the Demo was literally the full game with a few changed things? Can someone confirm?

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Man that sucks, I feel for them. It must be the worst nightmare for a publisher/developer... I wonder how badly this will affect sales. I assume the profile of people downloading the demo that early are gamers that are interested or very interested on the Yakuza series, which are also the main target audience. I am hoping most of them have preordered the game already (and that they won't cancel the preorder). They pulled out the demo fairly quickly, so hopefully it is not too bad.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Bit confused how it is depicted players were able to unlock the full game when it seems whoever published the demo accidentally the whole game and players didn't need to do anything.

Lots of demos make you download the whole game. You play a small section and then if you decide to pay for the full game, it instantly unlocks instead of having to download anything further. It seems this is one of those games but people found a glitch to get past the end of the demo and keep playing.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So ... the demo has been the full game with some restrictions that people where able to disable/work around? How did anyone at Sega think that this is a good way to handle a demo?

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
I will still be getting yakuza 6 with the shot glasses but its nice to be able to play the full game,im going offline till i beat it,i wont be getting a new ps4 game till ninokuni 2.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
So ... the demo has been the full game with some restrictions that people where able to disable/work around? How did anyone at Sega think that this is a good way to handle a demo?
If I understand correctly, the demo is the full game (but stops you from going further into the main story after a mission) because it's meant to be compatible when the game releases in April. If it is just the save data that transfers then there's no reason for it to have been 36GB.

The demo is suppose to prevent further access midway through the first Chapter. Sega or Sony put the full game up instead of the demo on the NA PSN. Nobody had to do any workarounds, nobody had to disable anything. It was just an error from Sega or Sony.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of demos make you download the whole game. You play a small section and then if you decide to pay for the full game, it instantly unlocks instead of having to download anything further. It seems this is one of those games but people found a glitch to get past the end of the demo and keep playing.
No one had to do anything though, the full game was unlocked without any action.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So, the people that got it, can't get it taken away from then, so now Yakuza 6 is just officially leaked full out there somewhere?

Would suck if Sega started to go after people unlocking the trophies or posting content about it before launch... that being said, i would not be surprised either.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because the game icon in the dashboard says "prologue" but the actual thing is the full version lol.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, the people that got it, can't get it taken away from then, so now Yakuza 6 is just officially leaked full out there somewhere?

Would suck if Sega started to go after people unlocking the trophies or posting content about it before launch... that being said, i would not be surprised either.

the licenses are digital and theyre still managed by sony so they can take them away if they wanted

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
The license can be revoked or a patch could be sent out to change it to the demo. If a console is offline then they can have the full game for as long as they are offline.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
It's probably not funny to them now..
But for the next Yakuza they should make a Sub Story where the Protagonist or someone he runs into accidentally gives a game away for free and they try to "fix" it.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
If I understand correctly, the demo is the full game (but stops you from going further into the main story after a mission) because it's meant to be compatible when the game releases in April. If it is just the save data that transfers then there's no reason for it to have been 36GB.

The demo is suppose to prevent further access midway through the first Chapter. Sega or Sony put the full game up instead of the demo on the NA PSN. Nobody had to do any workarounds, nobody had to disable anything. It was just an error from Sega or Sony.

The info in OP does say that players were able to unlock the full game via the demo, not that it had been that full game without any restrictions, what's correct now?

Also, if it's really just the save data that transfers ... i don't understand why you would make such a massive demo instead of having a dedicated demo build and making the game available early via pre-load.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seriously? That's quite a fuck-up. With the news out, there's potentially hundreds, thousands or who knows how many people who suddenly realize they have the full game on their console, no strings attached. Unless Sony goes out to manually remove the game from people's profiles making them unuseable, this could be pretty rough on them. You can just keep your console offline for a week or so, you finish the game and then back on, 60$ saved.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017

I heard they can revoke the licence (provided your console is connected to the Internet)

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
The info in OP does say that players were able to unlock the full game via the demo, not that it had been that full game without any restrictions, what's correct now?

Also, if it's really just the save data that transfers ... i don't understand why you would make such a massive demo instead of having a dedicated demo build and making the game available early via pre-load.

There's not a "trick" to unlock the full game from the demo.

We just simply got the full game, the ones that managed to download the demo from the US store.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yea, all you had to do was download the demo and it turns out to be the full game. The game is suppose to stop story progress mid Chapter 1 because that was how it was done in the Japanese demo.

My connection is super slow, so the full download is taking it's time, so I'm demo restrictions anyways...despite that, the game has given me two trophies thus far.

I'm still buying the game (that premium edition is calling my name), but I feel really bad for the team that this happened.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
The demo on the US PSN was the full game. Someone uploaded the wrong file. There was no trick or gimmick, it isn't any players fault.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017

Glitch ? no the game is just fully unlock... we don't need to do any manipulation or exploit to advance futher into the game. That would be another thing if this was the case, but the game is just there, we don't need to do anything special, they fuck up big time... their tweeter IS really misleading like it was our fault that we can go futher into the game.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The demo on the US PSN was the full game. Someone uploaded the wrong file. There was no trick or gimmick, it isn't any players fault.

I didn't fault any player, even if there was a work-around to make the demo the full game, it's also not the players fault but the ones who made the demo or did the upload to PSN. And if it's just simply the full game having been uploaded to PSN instead of the demo, maybe the thread title should get fixed. ^^

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
I download demos all the time using three different accounts and this one time I was like naaah spoilers finish Yakuza 5 first.
Two months early access... The reviewer experience... All gone :'(

I would seriously buy 2 copies if it means I get to play it this early.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Lucky for people that got the game. But please consider supporting the series if you love the series.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Man i'm jealous as fuck! I have way more time now that what i'll get in april...

i would've still kept my pre-order, but at least i could have played it sooner... why i never get this kind of luck?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I had a feeling that the demo was absurdly long and longer than the Japanese one when I ended up hitting chapter 2. This makes sense now.

I don't know why they are wording it as if the players did something to unlock it when all I did was download the thing from the store and play it.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
What I don't understand is if the game is complete at this stage, why was the game delayed? Unless there is untranslated strings in the late game I see no reason why they delayed it to clash with God of War.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
The question that should be asked is if the full game was made available then why are we waiting until April to get it.