• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if they have a way for people to maybe donate or pay something that got the demo for free, just in case $60 is too steep...maybe $30 or $40? I did get the demo and had no idea about any of this until this afternoon. I had planned on purchasing the game when it released in April. I've bought every Yakuza game they've released...even the zombie one.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
What I want to know is why did they delay the game by a month and to an even worse date (now going up against God of War instead of Ni no Kuni) than before if the game is done now.

I'm holding out for the glimmer of hope that they might be trying to get the game to 60FPS but I highly doubt it. 30FPS is really disappointing after Yakuza 0 and Kiwami.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
The most important question to ask here is how many people downloaded Yakuza 6 from the USA store within the timeframe?

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I want to know is why did they delay the game by a month and to an even worse date (now going up against God of War instead of Ni no Kuni) than before if the game is done now.

I'm holding out for the glimmer of hope that they might be trying to get the game to 60FPS but I highly doubt it. 30FPS is really disappointing after Yakuza 0 and Kiwami.
The game is done and has been for nearly 2 years now. The only thing the localization team is doing is translation. Performance is not going to change.

Also, 60fps was never going to happen. Just look at a single game play video of 0 then 6. The dragon engine is immensely more demanding, and 0 was designed first and foremost for the PS3 not the PS4.

The most important question to ask here is how many people downloaded Yakuza 6 from the USA store within the timeframe?
Not many is my guess. It went up via direct download link (not storefront page) at around 10:30am CT, and went down around 4:30pm CT. By the time people figured out what had happened with any degree of certainty Sega had already pulled the demo.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
The game is done and has been for nearly 2 years now. The only thing the localization team is doing is translation. Performance is not going to change.

Also, 60fps was never going to happen. Just look at a single game play video of 0 then 6. The dragon engine is immensely more demanding, and 0 was designed first and foremost for the PS3 not the PS4.

I'm aware. By "done" I meant translated. Has anyone who got the full game reported any untranslated parts of the game yet?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm aware. By "done" I meant translated. Has anyone who got the full game reported any untranslated parts of the game yet?

Pretty sure Edge put out a review for the game and other journalists have had it for a few weeks as well. To my understanding it should be fully translated.

i wish that standard copies would cost $60 over here

i'm very nostalgic for 2013.

Sadly, it feels like forever ago

JackRandom

Oct 26, 2017
So, it turns out my PS4 did actually download the "demo" yesterday. Going to probably see how far it takes me, but regardless, CE preorder will remain in effect.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like Sony/Sega stepped in. Had the full version but it's been locked now.
Just a heads up.

I'm okay with it, still need to focus on my backlog. I'm more hyped than anything. Just right next to God of War means I might not be there day 1.
Would be cool if my save file works when I do get it.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
well i decided to download the demo from uk account to give it a whirl.
that opening was a long ass korean drama lol. teeth need kicking in.
this feels very different from 0 , both in tone and combat. real sad and somber all around, and they removed the styles?

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Edge put out a review for the game and other journalists have had it for a few weeks as well. To my understanding it should be fully translated.

Sadly, it feels like forever ago

Print magazines always have a long lead time for reviews. I can't speak for other websites, but our review code is supposed to arrive next week at the soonest.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
this feels very different from 0 , both in tone and combat. real sad and somber all around, and they removed the styles?

The styles were only in Yakuza 0 (because Kiryu hadn't developed his style yet) and Yakuza Kiwami (because his fighting skills had atrophied after ten years in jail and was essentially starting from scratch). They won't be back in Kiwami 2 either.

The idea is that Kiryu has "perfected" the Dragon of Dojima style as of the end of Kiwami 1 after training with Komaki, so he wouldn't need to use the incomplete styles he worked with when he was an upstart kid.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'll ban me once I get back online...
I don't think they will. I mean, is it possible to tell who is playing the full game because of the demo snafu and who is playing the full game as a reviewer?

Edit: well, they could tell who is playing the full game because they locked that 'demo', but no one should be banned for it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The styles were just a Y0 (and kiwami) thing. They were supposed to represent that Kiryu hadn't refined a combat style yet and was more messy and all over the place with his fighting. It was implied that if you were to combine those three styles you'd get something akin to what he has in all the other games.

I haven't really played Y6 since the Japanese demo a while back, but I'm pretty sure they have incorporated some more stuff from the Y0 styles into his main style too.

Edit: beaten

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Wonder if they'll ban me once I get back online...
They will not ban you for a mistake they made. Only thing they can, and should have done already, is revoking the licence.

But they messed up with Knack 2 making it free too in the release day. And as far as i know they never bothered revoking the licence. So i doupt they will revoke any licenses now too.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The styles were only in Yakuza 0 (because Kiryu hadn't developed his style yet) and Yakuza Kiwami (because his fighting skills had atrophied after ten years in jail and was essentially starting from scratch). They won't be back in Kiwami 2 either.

The idea is that Kiryu has "perfected" the Dragon of Dojima style as of the end of Kiwami 1 after training with Komaki, so he wouldn't need to use the incomplete styles he worked with when he was an upstart kid.
So goro's final style in 0 will be his default in kiwami 2?
on one hand expanding that sounds dope as hell, on the other i want my speedy styles back.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
They will not ban you for a mistake they made. Only thing they can, and should have done already, is revoking the licence.

But they messed up with Knack 2 making it free too in the release day. And as far as i know they never bothered revoking the licence. So i doupt they will revoke any licenses now too.
Licenses have been revoked, people are locked out of the demo if they go online.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So goro's final style in 0 will be his default in kiwami 2?
on one hand expanding that sounds dope as hell, on the other i want my speedy styles back.

From the looks of it, Majima's Kiwami 2 fighting style is a slightly expanded Mad Dog of Shimano style, yeah.

Essentially, the idea is that both of them settled on a "personal" style as they got older and refined that instead of using multiple styles that only slightly fit their personalities. The Mad Dog style in particular especially fits how Majima fights as a boss in more recent games, so it makes sense.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This whole situation sucks. I know it will never happen, but I wish they just let you buy the game digitally now since it's obviously done. The actual Y6 release date is really shit and this is a perfect time for a game like this.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
I just found my demo locked, meaning I got one whole tutorial fight in before being unable to play it anymore. That's fine, at least I know how gorgeous the game looks now, especially when the Yakuza 5 cutscenes come in and show just how drastic the change from PS3 to PS4 is.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The demo won't be locked if you keep the system offline right? I still plan on keeping my pre-order for the After Hours Edition, but I definitely wanna play this once I finish up Yakuza 5.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys might be careful keeping it due to trophies snitching on you once you log back in eventually.

Has Sony ever banned anyone for something like that before?

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, my license was revoked also. Didn't get a chance to play hopefully the demo comes back online soon...

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Today decided to just explore with the 1st person view camera, and was a great experience. Not only feels more imersive, it also makes you look at some stuff that you usually dont see. I even found that inside cafe Alpes thers a back door that takes you to a very narrow alley.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Can't say for sure, but I get the feeling it was a financial year decision, and a very silly one at that.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Yeah, even when I downloaded the demo very late into the night, Sega removed my license. No problem, I will wait for the correct Demo to be up to check it out

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
If that was the case, why not relese it on the 3rd of April?
Because that is less than a week after another Sega release and they don't want them cannibalizing each other.

Also possibly because just because it's a financial year thing doesn't mean they need to release it literally as soon as possible because a bad decision is not necessarily made alone.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, it was fun while it lasted...now I don't feel like playing anything else right now lol. It's gonna be a long painful wait for less than 2 months.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of people going online despite owning something that was obviously going to be revoked lol.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Mine got revoked as well, I was always going to buy it physically so I don't mind. Getting to play well into chapter 4 lessons the sting of having to wait a month and a half to play the retail game.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Very happy to see the licenses revoked. Hope it doesn't mess things up for people who want to buy it later.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yea my "demo" stopped working. I shouldn't have left my PS4 online but always being connected to internet is like usual for me so I didn't even give it any thought.

I don't really care about it not working anymore as obviously it wasn't suppose to, what's bugging me is that I was right near the end of the story and now I have to wait nearly two months to see the conclusion. All my anticipation will die by then. They should just let people who purchase it from PS store and have the "demo" continue to play it.