• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I recently unearthed my model 1 Sega Saturn from storage. Man, I haven't hooked this thing up since 2006. Back then I got deep into Saturn gaming and even wound up importing a JP white unit and a bunch of games. But over the years I regretfully sold off a few huge games from my collection; Shining Force 3 (NA), Radiant Silvergun and Dungeons & Dragons Collection.

The main reason why I dug it out was because I was browsing eBay for a copy of Growlanser Generations, the Working Designs NA release. Then that got me reminiscing about WD's entire catalog. Localization issues aside (damn, Silhouette Mirage) they were responsible for introducing me to a slew of RPGs that weren't from Square Soft or Enix. And I realized that I never played Magic Knight RayEarth that I bought from eBay for $65 in 2004. Holy shit, I can't believe this game now averages over $300 for a complete copy. Not to mention the prices for Panzer Dragoon Saga... my personal white whale.

Anyways I'm beginning a play through of MKR. I'm still early on, but man does this game have some charm. After this, I'll finally play through Shining the Holy Ark. And I really want to get a hold of those HD retrovision genesis component cables & Saturn adapter.

By the way... are Saturn accessories region free? I'm interested in importing the black & yellow Stinger.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I recently unearthed my model 1 Sega Saturn from storage. Man, I haven't hooked this thing up since 2006. Back then I got deep into Saturn gaming and even wound up importing a JP white unit and a bunch of games. But over the years I regretfully sold off a few huge games from my collection; Shining Force 3 (NA), Radiant Silvergun and Dungeons & Dragons Collection.

The main reason why I dug it out was because I was browsing eBay for a copy of Growlanser Generations, the Working Designs NA release. Then that got me reminiscing about WD's entire catalog. Localization issues aside (damn, Silhouette Mirage) they were responsible for introducing me to a slew of RPGs that weren't from Square Soft or Enix. And I realized that I never played Magic Knight RayEarth that I bought from eBay for $65 in 2004. Holy shit, I can't believe this game now averages over $300 for a complete copy. Not to mention the prices for Panzer Dragoon Saga... my personal white whale.

Anyways I'm beginning a play through of MKR. I'm still early on, but man does this game have some charm. After this, I'll finally play through Shining the Holy Ark. And I really want to get a hold of those HD retrovision genesis component cables & Saturn adapter.

By the way... are Saturn accessories region free? I'm interested in importing the black & yellow Stinger.
Ah, I love hearing stories like these, about people's history with video games and the like. As to your question about region-free accessories, from what I've researched they should work.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crosspost my shmups so far:
gUGcWEZh.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I love hearing stories like these, about people's history with video games and the like. As to your question about region-free accessories, from what I've researched they should work.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Yeah, I never owned the Saturn in heyday of the late 90s. I picked mine up while I was working for Funcoland (which eventually became Gamestop) where my coworker and I would have endless debates over Sega vs Nintendo. After getting deep into the Dreamcast (I even worked the midnight 9/9/99 launch, but that's another story) I decided to buy a Saturn from our store. Wow, I wished I hadn't of missed out on this system only so I could better support Sega.

And now I've built up a short list of "inexpensive" Saturn games that I never picked up and aim to get in the coming months:

Virtua Cop 1 & 2 (and a Stunner go with them)
Decathlete
Daytona USA CCE
Panzer Dragon
Dark Savior
Soviet Strike

Crosspost my shmups so far:
gUGcWEZh.jpg

Great collection! Of those I have Macross, Soukygurentai Otokuyo and Dodopachi. How are the Thunder Force Gold packs? Are they worth getting over the original Genesis cartridges?

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
If you are in the EU/UK try retrogamingcables.co.uk. I wished I spent a bit more on the packapunch SS cables because the one I got for the pc engine is amazing.

GU0wfoJ.jpg

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Here. Not cheap but this is the best cable build quality/image fidelity-wise you can possibly buy anywhere.

edit: oh dang, they are out of stock currently. It says it will be available in the future soon, though.

If you are in the EU/UK try retrogamingcables.co.uk. I wished I spent a bit more on the packapunch SS cables because the one I got for the pc engine is amazing.

GU0wfoJ.jpg
Yeah, was gonna say that they're out of stock at retrogamingcables. Guess I'll just have to wait.

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any photo comparisons between their packapunch cables and others? I'm using an official JP21 cable and am fairly happy with it, but I'm interested in the quality difference between RGB cables.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are there Saturn component cables? I know that they don't support component natively, but is there a way to get an RGB pass-through that way?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Are there Saturn component cables? I know that they don't support component natively, but is there a way to get an RGB pass-through that way?

You can use an adapter to use the Genesis component cables by Retrovision, but I think all of them maybe harder to find or expensive.

If you are only going to use the Saturn, or the Saturn and a Genesis, Retrovision makes sense. If you are planing to have more consoles trough RGB, then a transcoder that can take RGB Euroscart to Component may be a better option. That's what I use.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can use an adapter to use the Genesis component cables by Retrovision, but I think all of them maybe harder to find or expensive.

If you are only going to use the Saturn, or the Saturn and a Genesis, Retrovision makes sense. If you are planing to have more consoles trough RGB, then a transcoder that can take RGB Euroscart to Component may be a better option. That's what I use.
Well, I have a Master System, Genesis, Saturn, SNES and PS1, but I live in North America so I always get worried about having issues with SCART, since I've never used it before.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Well, I have a Master System, Genesis, Saturn, SNES and PS1, but I live in North America so I always get worried about having issues with SCART, since I've never used it before.

What I can recommend is that if you are going to use a CRT TV, then a transcoder is a great option, since it will take SCART RGB and will output Component YpBPr. I use the Retrotek one, but I'm sure others in this thread have other transcoders that they can recommend (I have not used it with my SNES yet, there maybe an issue with colors on it according to reviews). It can also be a good idea If your HDTV has component input and a good internal scaler.

It's just getting a cable for each of the consoles, they all output RGB, with the exception of the second SNES model. The Genesis 2 RGB cable may be more versatile, since you can also use it with the 32x.

The My Life in Gaming youtube channel is a good resource for this type of stuff. There is also this thread here on resetera.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What I can recommend is that if you are going to use a CRT TV, then a transcoder is a great option, since it will take SCART RGB and will output Component YpBPr. I use the Retrotek one, but I'm sure others in this thread have other transcoders that they can recommend. It can also be a good idea If your HDTV has component input and a good internal scaler.

It's just getting a cable for each of the consoles, they all output RGB, with the exception of the second SNES model. The Genesis 2 RGB cable may be more versatile, since you can also use it with the 32x.

The My Life in Gaming youtube channel is a good resource for this type of stuff. There is also this thread here on resetera.
Hmm, I have a CRT, but to be honest, I'd rather just have them plugged into my HDTV. I was thinking of getting an OSSC once I had the budget, but I guess I'd also need a multi-SCART cable so that I don't have to constantly plug in and out the cables for the individual consoles.

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
oh I did a short 4+ min Radiant Silvergun gameplay clip with RGB cable from retrogamingcables.co.uk, It's sync on luma and NOT the packapunch cable. I was debating whether to spend that much so went with their cheaper Saturn cables but after experience the packapunch for my pc engine I would definitely get the packapunch for my next Saturn cable upgrade. Compared to a 20+ year old RGB cable I previously owned the retrogaming cable had reduced analogue noise although it's still there just not as obtrusive. I was getting audio pops and some kind of distortion where I was wondering whether my Saturn needed capacitor replacing. Thankfully the retrogaming cable addressed this and maybe the colours are vibrant too.

If anyone can access dropbox you are welcome to download the file. It should be 480p @60fps 220mb file. I've uploaded a higher res on YT but it still don't look as good as the original.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48o291auf5ioeii/RS quick play.mp4?dl=0

EDIT

You need to make sure you get the right cables for your TV/retro system otherwise I heard stories where owners swore the cable fried their systems.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, thanks for the tip. Yeah, I never owned the Saturn in heyday of the late 90s. I picked mine up while I was working for Funcoland (which eventually became Gamestop) where my coworker and I would have endless debates over Sega vs Nintendo. After getting deep into the Dreamcast (I even worked the midnight 9/9/99 launch, but that's another story) I decided to buy a Saturn from our store. Wow, I wished I hadn't of missed out on this system only so I could better support Sega.

And now I've built up a short list of "inexpensive" Saturn games that I never picked up and aim to get in the coming months:

Virtua Cop 1 & 2 (and a Stunner go with them)
Decathlete
Daytona USA CCE
Panzer Dragon
Dark Savior
Soviet Strike

Great collection! Of those I have Macross, Soukygurentai Otokuyo and Dodopachi. How are the Thunder Force Gold packs? Are they worth getting over the original Genesis cartridges?
ah i just got home from work and i'll try out thunder force II and III. from what i hear, the audio sounds are not accurate as the genesis. so just by that before evening playing it, i'd take the genesis over it. gold pack 2 has Thunderforce AC which was never released on console which is what i was after. i just got gold pack 1 just to complete the set.

Holy shit David, you really have come a long way since the "I need a Saturn"-days in the dark ages on the old forum.
thanks Morfeo! you were always encouraging back then!

Lol yeah. I remember when he first got the console.
it's members like you in the Saturn community that helped get me into the Saturn software library. I still remember you joked as an "expensive game" to get daytona, when i 1st got the system =)

khaz

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any photo comparisons between their packapunch cables and others? I'm using an official JP21 cable and am fairly happy with it, but I'm interested in the quality difference between RGB cables.

In terms of visual quality you won't see a difference. Packapunch cables have coax wires, each wire is shielded to minimise crosstalk. Crosstalk is most often experienced as a buzzing sound with a variable noise level depending on what's on screen. Most of the noise usually comes from the VIDEO signal (Composite): using a non-coax cable that has CSYNC as sync is another solution to reduce significantly any interference. But the console needs to be able to output CSYNC, which isn't always the case. And some people like to have VIDEO available in their cable for when they switch displays.

If you don't hear buzzing or if you don't mind it, you don't have to get new cables. If you need to, either get a properly shielded cable or a CSYNC cable, depending on your needs. A properly shielded cable, regardless of the sync option, is best practice, but also more expensive.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are the Thunder Force Gold packs? Are they worth getting over the original Genesis cartridges?
I tried them out tonight and i have to saw that the sounds aren't accurate and can be distracting. confirmed genesis carts are better than gold pack 1.

fantastic collection there D.
forgot to say thanks Piggychan, you were always one of the great guys on the retroboards over at the dark place.
Hey glad this thread is jumping with life again. Laevateinn, you too! good to see your posts =)

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I tried them out tonight and i have to saw that the sounds aren't accurate and can be distracting. confirmed genesis carts are better than gold pack 1.

forgot to say thanks Piggychan, you were always one of the great guys on the retroboards over at the dark place.
Hey glad this thread is jumping with life again. Laevateinn, you too! good to see your posts =)

I'm around. I've just been super busy lately so I'm spending more time in the RGB discord than here.

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks, David! I just acquired my first Sega Genesis, ever, last weekend as well as all four Sonic games on the system. I'll make the Thunder Force 2, 3 & 4 my next purchases for the system.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Happy 20th to Radiant Silvergun. Was my first game for the system back when i got it :)

NDPsycho

Oct 27, 2017
Do the Konami releases in NA not have a warranty card on the back page? Is there a list anywhere that tracks which games should or shouldn't have the warranty card folded on the back page the manual?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Think there were other companies that didn't supply the warranty card on the back.

Just came back from a short trip and picked these up UK PAL releases.
lgLKnAk.jpg

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I just read that re; outrun Jpn, earlier prints of this game will freeze on later Saturn models. There is a revised copy
with the code GS-9110P-01050A-P1K on the inner ring of the disc.

This is a short clip of the UK release running on white Saturn. I might have slightly over clipped the image while hastily getting this vid up and running on YT.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just read that re; outrun Jpn, earlier prints of this game will freeze on later Saturn models. There is a revised copy
with the code GS-9110P-01050A-P1K on the inner ring of the disc.

This is a short clip of the UK release running on white Saturn. I might have slightly over clipped the image while hastily getting this vid up and running on YT.

I heard about that, I got a model 1 just to be safe.

Thanks for the numbers:
I need to check To see if it matches my outrun disc.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I already had the game and wasn't aware of the problem when I bought my JP Saturn so mine doesn't work...I was able to get it for a few bucks so so big deal and I can always play the 3DS version...and the one on various Yakuza's...and Outrun 2 and..etc.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
yeah ive read about that, still adore my model 2 though
fitting cause i was so late to finally get one!

Holy shit David, you really have come a long way since the "I need a Saturn"-days in the dark ages on the old forum.

haha for real, now i just drool over his pics like that

just gorgeous...i'm totally gonna have to replay this one one day. one of my favorite dungeon crawlers, hands down

HUUUUUUUUGE scans incoming. 1998 UK Sega Saturn Mag - Radiant Silvergun coverage

Review scans here: Radiant Silvergun 20th anniversary

thanks for these!

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yo. Haven't posted much about recent Saturn pickups because there haven't been many to begin with, but I finally ticked a couple of the big ones I've been looking over the years:

G8pffUV.jpg

And the reason it took this long to get Radiant Silvergun and Ninpen was that I never found them at a cheaper price than this occasion, so shut-up wallet, I had to grab them.

Radiant Silvergun probably requires little introduction here: it is one of the greatest shmups ever made, a Treasure's treasure. I had already played a fair amount of it back on the X360 and now I finally own the actual thing.

Ninpen Manmaru is less known, but I think it's been talked about recently in different places because the prices showed signs of a sudden increase in the last two months without any other obvious reason. It's a 3D platformer inspired by Mario 64 and it's gorgeous for the system. It's more of a dodge and jump around the enemies with precision platforming than an actual Mario-clone, and it's kind of brilliant as obscure exclusives go. It's never been much cheap since about 2011 when the prices of everything started to go crazy but, as less copies are available these days, the price it shows up on ebay and the like is absurd. Check it out on an emulator or something.

Dezaemon 2 (on the bottom) is a collection of 5 shmups with an actual built-in editor to make your own games, which makes it fairly unique among its contemporaries. The instruction manual is thus massive to the point the game is not on the standard jewel case and is larger than the others pictured here, which is a problem for me because the dang thing arrived with a couple of cracks on the front and I would have liked to replace it easily. Anyway, this one is reasonably cheap so check it out if you are so inclined.

Arcana Strikes is a card game (think Yu-Gi-Oh or MtG) with an obtuse JRPG plot, anime intros, and whatnot. I honestly do not understand most of it due to the language barrier but it seemed interesting to me in a video and that's generally all it takes. It's co-developed by RED (from Tempo and Sakura Taisen). One of the videos I watched had the most extensive explanation I could find on how the game plays, and I might as well reproduce it here:

The game has many cards to collect (almost 300) that belong to a variety of categories from support to offense, defense, and more. The most important cards however are Monster cards, which can be summoned to attack each turn. Monster cards, like the hero, gain experience based on where they are, the number of enemies defeated and the fashion in which they're defeated (0% for death, 50% exp if in your active deck, 100% when in an active fight, and 200% for defeating a leader), and evolve at level 15 and 35. They also can have up to four skills that can aid you. Monsters can attack leaders, but only if there are no foes in the same rank as them (similar to games like Koto Battle). The game has six elements as well as a neutral element that generally adheres to simple rules (weakness deals more damage).

And, not Saturn related, but I also got an amazing price on that sealed copy of Dragon Blaze for the PS2 and just had to snag it.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah ive read about that, still adore my model 2 though
fitting cause i was so late to finally get one!

haha for real, now i just drool over his pics like that

just gorgeous...i'm totally gonna have to replay this one one day. one of my favorite dungeon crawlers, hands down

thanks for these!
thanks Irish, good to see you!

Yo. Haven't posted much about recent Saturn pickups because there haven't been many to begin with, but I finally ticked a couple of the big ones I've been looking over the years:

G8pffUV.jpg

And the reason it took this long to get Radiant Silvergun and Ninpen was that I never found them at a cheaper price than this occasion, so shut-up wallet, I had to grab them.

Radiant Silvergun probably requires little introduction here: it is one of the greatest shmups ever made, a Treasure's treasure. I had already played a fair amount of it back on the X360 and now I finally own the actual thing.

Ninpen Manmaru is less known, but I think it's been talked about recently in different places because the prices showed signs of a sudden increase in the last two months without any other obvious reason. It's a 3D platformer inspired by Mario 64 and it's gorgeous for the system. It's more of a dodge and jump around the enemies with precision platforming than an actual Mario-clone, and it's kind of brilliant as obscure exclusives go. It's never been much cheap since about 2011 when the prices of everything started to go crazy but, as less copies are available these days, the price it shows up on ebay and the like is absurd. Check it out on an emulator or something.

Dezaemon 2 (on the bottom) is a collection of 5 shmups with an actual built-in editor to make your own games, which makes it fairly unique among its contemporaries. The instruction manual is thus massive to the point the game is not on the standard jewel case and is larger than the others pictured here, which is a problem for me because the dang thing arrived with a couple of cracks on the front and I would have liked to replace it easily. Anyway, this one is reasonably cheap so check it out if you are so inclined.

Arcana Strikes is a card game (think Yu-Gi-Oh or MtG) with an obtuse JRPG plot, anime intros, and whatnot. I honestly do not understand most of it due to the language barrier but it seemed interesting to me in a video and that's generally all it takes. It's co-developed by RED (from Tempo and Sakura Taisen). One of the videos I watched had the most extensive explanation I could find on how the game plays, and I might as well reproduce it here:

And, not Saturn related, but I also got an amazing price on that sealed copy of Dragon Blaze for the PS2 and just had to snag it.
nice pick ups =)

I saw Ninpen Manmaru online recently and it's really charming. I need to pick up a copy.
is that an expensive game?

Hey Saturn Community,
finally picked this up though i have the ps1 version. just thought it'd be cool to own:
F8jwuVzm.jpg

s8VjJPZm.jpg

tj9msSYm.jpg

oaX5NCsm.jpg

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
thanks Irish, good to see you!

nice pick ups =)

is that an expensive game?

Hey Saturn Community,
finally picked this up though i have the ps1 version. just thought it'd be cool to own:
F8jwuVzm.jpg

s8VjJPZm.jpg

tj9msSYm.jpg

oaX5NCsm.jpg

You'd probably be shocked on their Saturn treatment of the game. I still like it as a game in it's own right for SS since it has a lot to offer throughout but standing it up next to the PS1 version......

Aug 24, 2018
So what's up with the prices on these games?! I was thinking of picking up a cheap JAP Saturn so I could play some shmups. I mean I knew about Radiant Silvergun and Battle Garegga being overpriced, but Batsugun is also fetching 100+ euro's on ebay?! Same goes for Parodius and such...Damn, looks like Saturn collecting isn't in the cards right now if you fancy shmups like me, heh.

Though I do suppose I should look more into the unique games the Saturn has to offer, I'm sure it's more than just shmups and fighting games :) Any advice?

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
So what's up with the prices on these games?! I was thinking of picking up a cheap JAP Saturn so I could play some shmups. I mean I knew about Radiant Silvergun and Battle Garegga being overpriced, but Batsugun is also fetching 100+ euro's on ebay?! Same goes for Parodius and such...Damn, looks like Saturn collecting isn't in the cards right now if you fancy shmups like me, heh.

Though I do suppose I should look more into the unique games the Saturn has to offer, I'm sure it's more than just shmups and fighting games :) Any advice?

It's a terrible time to get into Saturn collecting in the completionist sense, even for JP stuff. It's a great time to play good Saturn games.

Get a JP Saturn and a PseudoSaturn and play what you like, and then you can invest in the ones you actually enjoy.

Darius Gaiden and Layer Section are great and pretty cheap still. The PS4 port of Battle Garegga is only $35 and is the best version of that game anyway, so I can't personally justify spending $200 for a plastic case and a disc, if you just want to play the masterpiece :)