• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1162

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Interesting video on the story behind Saturn's version (or lack thereof) of RE2. I had no idea Capcom had even tried to port it, nor that their issues were with the (slow) speed of the dual CPUs.

#releasesaturnre2

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Bleh. Having lots of issues playing X-Men vs. Street Fighter on my Saturn now with the Action Replay 4M Plus I have. Used to be fine. Maybe I should clean it a bit or something. The cart works fine for everything else, though.

And just since it has been bothering me for a while that David didn't know what games he got...
Hey Saturn peeps, i got this today in the mail. i hope it's good =)
JWheIogl.jpg

5gksWK8l.jpg

lb3RPR9l.jpg
This is Warriors of Fate, known in Japan as Tenchi wo Kurau II: Battle of Red Cliffs. It was also recently part of the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC.

crossposting

hey saturn guys, got a misc shmup today =)
3eOYVNph.jpg

SJELDxQh.jpg

zuYfyrkh.jpg
This is the Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack. It comes with ports of the first two Parodius arcade games. This actually had a release in Europe as well, though the price difference is quite big.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Bleh. Having lots of issues playing X-Men vs. Street Fighter on my Saturn now with the Action Replay 4M Plus I have. Used to be fine. Maybe I should clean it a bit or something. The cart works fine for everything else, though.
What's the issue? Can't get it to boot? Is it obviously something with the Action Replay?

Try a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip and clean the laser of your Saturn. A few of us on RGB had problems recently and that cleared it right up.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The first time I started it up last night, it gave me an error about the 4MB cart.
cH8IFA9.jpg

I removed and reinserted the cart, and then it started up fine. But I kept getting stuck on a black screen sometimes if I pressed Start during the opening. After a few tries, it seemed to work fine, and I did a few matches, and then I got an error screen.
2geQyqK.jpg

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I just have the one Action Replay, which I bought around 2004/2005 or so. I had issues with X-Men vs. Street Fighter before, but it was a rarity and not so common like it is now. I've had no issues with the cart or Saturn otherwise.

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And just since it has been bothering me for a while that David didn't know what games he got...

This is Warriors of Fate, known in Japan as Tenchi wo Kurau II: Battle of Red Cliffs. It was also recently part of the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC.

This is the Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack. It comes with ports of the first two Parodius arcade games. This actually had a release in Europe as well, though the price difference is quite big.
Haha, thanks KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Oh, yeah, I've been thinking about picking up both Slayers Royal games since I'm a fan of the series, and they're dirt cheap. I can pick up both now for $4.29 with free shipping. I can't read or speak much Japanese though (I can recognize some words from seeing/hearing them a lot), so I wouldn't have the easiest time with them. But I guess for that price...why not?
You're welcome. :)

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
The first time I started it up last night, it gave me an error about the 4MB cart.
cH8IFA9.jpg

I removed and reinserted the cart, and then it started up fine. But I kept getting stuck on a black screen sometimes if I pressed Start during the opening. After a few tries, it seemed to work fine, and I did a few matches, and then I got an error screen.
2geQyqK.jpg
Well, if I had to guess, that seems like a problem with the cart and not with your Saturn. I wonder if the RAM is going bad somehow and you're hitting those registers with that game specifically while others just don't?

Certainly the best thing to try is another 4M Action Replay. Sorry though. It sucks when hardware starts failing. :(

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes hello please tell me when Sega will release a Saturn Classic because I don't want to bankrupt myself buying Panzer Dragoon Saga.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm glad I got a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga back when it first came out. Didn't even know it was expensive in the resell market until a few years ago. Hah.

Anyway, I opened up a new pack of cotton swabs and cleaned up the cartridge slot and disc drive of my Saturn, as well as the Action Replay cart. I tried X-Men vs. Street Fighter again. I played through all of arcade mode. No issues this time.

I also remember seeing a slightly glitchy screen for a split second when the game transitioned from the Capcom logo to the intro animation before...which is gone now.

Edit: Glitched intro transition from the other day:
ie7LQoX.gif

Non-glitched from today after the cleaning:
tM2YXWk.gif

Edit: Played for about two hours. No issues!

Last edited:

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's Nekketsu Oyako, a beat 'em up that was a Japanese launch title for the PlayStation, and then ported to Saturn. No release outside of Japan.

All of the listings I see are over $100. How much did you get it for?

i got it for 8000yen = 72 usd

i learned a few things about this game on shmups discord:

quote:
it was originally an arcade game but ended up becoming a ps1 game when technosoft decided to not make anymore arcade games. (it was originally on ps1 arcade hardware)but the devs didn't like it because it was kinda unfinished. so they made a beefed-up version for a later saturn release
they did that a lot.

"oh yeah that's another thing, the ps1 version was a launch title
this game was in dev like right after hyper duel."
end quote.

this game is incredible, i was playing it and wow a great beat em up.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
That's Nekketsu Oyako, a beat 'em up that was a Japanese launch title for the PlayStation, and then ported to Saturn. No release outside of Japan.

All of the listings I see are over $100. How much did you get it for?

This was the 1st Saturn game I bought. Loved this game. I'm also a massive beat em up fan.

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
Got my Saturn a couple weeks ago, but I finally picked up some games and additional controllers.
LGrxAgF.jpg

Japanese Modded Saturn with Phantom mod and Region Free BIOS.
4M plus for saves and occasional cheats.
ZOoooEC.jpg

Japanese Controller I got from a seller on ebay. Had to apply H2O2 as it was horrifically yellowed. US Controller I got bundled with some games :)
VDTvuPN.jpg

3D controller for NiGHTS, came with US controller above^
jVG7eAY.jpg

Arcade Stick that also came with the bundle
FZ5xR1t.jpg

And a good amount of games :D
I purchased NiGHTS, Sonic Jam, Princess Crown and Fighting Vipers from ebay, the rest were bundled with the other controllers. The red game in the corner is a Mahjong game called Shanghai Triple Threat, surprising amount of fun!
The last game I'm planning to get a copy of is Sonic 3D Blast, as I had the PC version of that and Virtua Fighter (weirdly closer to remix than the original.) Just doesn't feel right having one without the other.

So far the only issues I've found are with the P2 port my saturn and a stubborn 'B' button on the arcade stick, but wiggling and pressing harder solves both issues :D

All in all, it's been a blast experiencing this part of SEGA history!
As a side note, I gotta admit, I'm open to most controllers and have no issue adjusting usually. I've played more than my fair share of SSB on the wii with a sideways wiimote. But the US Model Controller is straight trash. I figured the complaints were overblown as the face looked completely fine to me, but whoever designed the back and the shoulder buttons was loco.

hey guys! new game came in the mail =)

HN3uMCMl.jpg

Nice! The Saturn does a very impressive job with the Sega Y board games, and this one is excellent.
I often wonder if Sega would've kept the same developer as OutRun and Space Harrier ports, if the Saturn was powerful enough to run perfect ports of both Y board games available - Power Drift and Galaxy Force II.

I'm freaking terrible at this game, though - I'm guessing I'm not using the shifting system properly or something?

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! The Saturn does a very impressive job with the Sega Y board games, and this one is excellent.
I often wonder if Sega would've kept the same developer as OutRun and Space Harrier ports, if the Saturn was powerful enough to run perfect ports of both Y board games available - Power Drift and Galaxy Force II.

I'm freaking terrible at this game, though - I'm guessing I'm not using the shifting system properly or something?
hey guys, i haven't tried it yet. i missed out on this in the arcades and just recently getting into Saturn the past year to make up for lost time. i'm excited to try it once i get some time. i did play that beat em up with a friend and it was a cool experience.

Oooh! How are you liking it? You get so many interesting games :D
As a side note, Street Fighter Zero 3 is so damn good. I had the DC version way back when I was younger, so being able to play the game and re-learn the mechanics properly is amazing.
man i'm so jelly, SFA3 is damn good from what i hear.
one day, i'll be able to get it!

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've always been a huge Sega fan, ever since owning a Sega Genesis as a kid in the early 90s. Despite that, I never had the privilege of owning a Sega Saturn. I want to change that. I'm thinking of grabbing one off of eBay, is there anything in particular I should read up on? I know the Genesis has various different revisions, what about the Saturn? Seeing how it was one of the earlier disc based consoles, how well do they and the game discs hold up these days? Any game recommendations would great too, I'm open to all genres.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I've always been a huge Sega fan, ever since owning a Sega Genesis as a kid in the early 90s. Despite that, I never had the privilege of owning a Sega Saturn. I want to change that. I'm thinking of grabbing one off of eBay, is there anything in particular I should read up on? I know the Genesis has various different revisions, what about the Saturn? Seeing how it was one of the earlier disc based consoles, how well do they and the game discs hold up these days? Any game recommendations would great too, I'm open to all genres.

There were two revisions of the Saturn. There aren't really any major differences between them but you'll need to know which one you have if you want to install a modchip or an optical drive emulator (ODE) like Phoebe or Rhea. I've had a lot of bad luck with Saturn lasers throughout the years but have always played my Saturns to death so it could just be me. Speaking of this. If you're legit, you're going to have a bad time and might want to give up hope. The time to get into the Saturn was in the 90s (bastards with their playstations...).

The Saturn is the ultimate 2D system. It is the best console for shoot-em-ups and fighting games. It has great games from all genres. If you like RPGs, you'll want to play the Shining series. Daytona's the most famous racing title but make sure to try Sega Rally or a classic arcade racer like Out Run or Power Drift too. Magic Knight Rayearth and Shining Wisdom are decent Zelda clones.

The Saturn has some decent platformers. I'm extremely fond of Clockwork Knight but other good choices include Mega Man 8/X4, Silhouette Mirage, and Keio Flying Squadron 2

Of course, there's also extremely famous titles like NiGHTS and the Panzer Dragoon series.

Unfortunately, the Saturn wasn't as successful in the west as it was in Japan so many of the better titles were never localized or were in extremely limited releases. For this reason, a Saturn needs a way to play Japanese titles. You can achieve this with either an ODE or an Action Replay. Japanese titles tend to be more affordable but that's slowly changing. You're in luck though because many of the Japan only releases are having fantastic translation patches released for them so you don't have to suffer like I did in 1999 with Shining Force 3.

Good luck

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, in the coming months Prof Abrasive's USB reader for the Saturn should become available. It plugs in through the MEPG slot that all Saturns have (even NA and EU models).

The only thing I haven't seen addressed here is that some versions of certain games (I.e. Outrun) will not function properly on a second revision Saturn. For best disc based compatibility, the first model (long oval power and reset buttons) are best.

The differences between revisions is honestly something that I haven't seen super well documented. I'm convinced there are more differences between the two, but they are probably minor.

I do recommend waiting for the Prof. Abrasive SD Card reader, especially if you want English games.
Edit: Whoops, thanks Danthrax!

Last edited:

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Ordered both Slayers Royal games since it only cost me $4.29 to get them. Took a little over a month to get here with the free shipping. Can't understand any text besides Press Start and Now Loading, though...well, I recognize Lina's name in Japanese, at least.

HI16qpZ.jpg

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ordered both Slayers Royal games since it only cost me $4.29 to get them. Took a little over a month to get here with the free shipping. Can't understand any text besides Press Start and Now Loading, though...well, I recognize Lina's name in Japanese, at least.

HI16qpZ.jpg
nice KDash, i'm looking around and trying to get mickey donald duck for saturn

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I need to find a way to replay Deep Fear. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from selling all those games. I wonder if my copies of Saga, Deep Fear, Sonic Jam and Burning Rangers still exist and how much the last person who owned them payed for them.

Looks like some more excellent Saturn games I'll never be able to play due to not knowing fluent Japanese.

How many of you Saturn importers can understand enough Japanese to get through a game - or do you use other strategies, like walkthroughs, to get through the game?

I can somewhat make my way through the choices and options of games in Japanese, but I'm always lost when the story hits.

I'm loving then Linkle Liver Story English patch, though, and it'd be amazing to see more of that in the future.
Here's to hoping Nanatsu Kaze no Shima gets a patch one day - along with the the Saturn Grandia, Suikoden, and Princess Crown.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Finally back on the Saturn train after losing a good chunk of my collection in a move. I'm glad Saturn S-Video cables are affordable and easy to get these days though, I remember when they were a pain in the ass to find.

oh yeah i have them on genesis... i thought it would have something new.
Nope, same exact games. You get neat arrangements of each game's stage 1 theme on the game select menu, though.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Just acquired a nice american copy of Albert Odyssey for a bit cheaper than its value on the market. Waiting for it to present itself at my doorstep :)

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Phoebe will be available this weekend. I have a discord I made specifically to park a bot in to spam when gdemu products are available. Ping me if you're interested.

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
Probably going to go for Phoebe this weekend. Has anyone bought one of these before? I understand it's basically a race but what's the sale process? I assume the order form page goes live on, or around, the projected time then it's a matter of filling out basic data and a Paypal login?

Just trying to get a feel for what I can expect while I'm frantically trying to buy it.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Probably going to go for Phoebe this weekend. Has anyone bought one of these before? I understand it's basically a race but what's the sale process? I assume the order form page goes live on, or around, the projected time then it's a matter of filling out basic data and a Paypal login?

Just trying to get a feel for what I can expect while I'm frantically trying to buy it.
I've bought every product that GDEMU offers. I also have a bot to monitor his order pages to keep track of them (see above).

At some point around 18:00 CET, he will modify the order page with a form. It will remain that way for a few minutes. Then once he's satisfied he will revert it back to a page that says orders are unavailable.

You don't pay immediately. He will email you within a week when he's ready with details.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
wow I had cleared out my watched threads in error and completely forgot about this one..... :/

Jumping right to it..

Anyone who has both Cotton2 and Cotton Boomerang confirm this is from Boomerang? I've been told this is a game over screen for cotton2 but I've never seen this appear on there....

cottoncombos.png

Some of those combo movesI'm fairly certain are boomerang only but it's been driving me crazy even though I have both games Boomerang has been locked up in a suitcase for years and I just want to concentrate on Cotton2 for now and that's been killing my thumb..

Anyway I made a somewhat pointless game over vid and demo attract screen video to show the original poster but they haven't gotten back to me.

Last edited: